Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Forum

Posted Feb 17, 2014
9:18:47 AM
TV Picture flickering, jumping, snowing DVR and Live

I have a Panasonic Viera Plasma 1080p tv. At least once a week (and oddly nearly everytime it starts with watching a DVR recording of an HBO show) the picture starts to jump, show random horizontal lines, and get partially snowy. It becomes unwatchable, so we end up watching via Apple TV with no issues. Once the flickering starts, it continues to be bad on HBO channels, but also is an issue with other regular channels, both cable and network. By the next morning the issue is gone.

I've changed HDMI cables and have done basic resets, etc. to no avail.

Any suggestions for how to proceed without having to tear apart the entire entertainment system?

I have a Panasonic Viera Plasma 1080p tv. At least once a week (and oddly nearly everytime it starts with watching a DVR recording of an HBO show) the picture starts to jump, show random horizontal lines, and get partially snowy. It becomes unwatchable, so we end up watching via Apple TV with no issues. Once the flickering starts, it continues to be bad on HBO channels, but also is an issue with other regular channels, both cable and network. By the next morning the issue is gone.

I've changed HDMI cables and have done basic resets, etc. to no avail.

Any suggestions for how to proceed without having to tear apart the entire entertainment system?

TV Picture flickering, jumping, snowing DVR and Live

18 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(18)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 17, 2014 9:27:21 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

What happens when you watch those HBO channels Live?

What model HD DVR do you have?

Is the HD DVR connected directly to your Panasonic via HDMI, or through an AV Surround Receiver?

Note that HBO channels enforce "HDCP copy protection", so this might have something to do with your problem.

Is the HD DVR connected directly to your Panasonic via HDMI, or through an AV Surround Receiver?

Note that HBO channels enforce "HDCP copy protection", so this might have something to do with your problem.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: TV Picture flickering, jumping, snowing DVR and live

2 of 19 (779 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 17, 2014 9:36:42 AM
(0)
Tutor

-same flickering issue. It starts USUALLY with watching DVR recordings, but not always. But it extends to live/ dvr and various channels

-HR44/500

--coneected directly with HMDI for video, through a SONY receiver for audio

As I write this the flickering has started up on Nick Jr channel. It is not an issue on the other tv in the house as far as I can tell.

-same flickering issue. It starts USUALLY with watching DVR recordings, but not always. But it extends to live/ dvr and various channels

-HR44/500

As I write this the flickering has started up on Nick Jr channel. It is not an issue on the other tv in the house as far as I can tell.

3 of 19 (779 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 17, 2014 1:08:13 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

jmkramer wrote:

So the HDMI goes directly to the TV, not through the Sony, correct?

jmkramer wrote:

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 19 (779 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 17, 2014 1:13:13 PM
(0)
Tutor

-Correct

-Correct

5 of 19 (779 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 17, 2014 1:16:59 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Can you try using Component Video cables as a test (red, blue, green RCA cables)?

Can you try using Component Video cables as a test (red, blue, green RCA cables)?

6 of 19 (779 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 17, 2014 1:45:27 PM
(0)
Tutor

I tried with a different HDMI cable and had the same results. No component cables readily available, as I was hoping to use only HDMI for the future.

I tried with a different HDMI cable and had the same results. No component cables readily available, as I was hoping to use only HDMI for the future.

7 of 19 (779 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 17, 2014 2:33:25 PM
(0)
Guru

I would place money on you buying a new tv in the near future.Ive seen plasmas get half snowy screens and lines right before the croak

I have been a service install tech for a very long time

I would place money on you buying a new tv in the near future.Ive seen plasmas get half snowy screens and lines right before the croak

I have been a service install tech for a very long time

8 of 19 (779 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 17, 2014 2:47:36 PM
(0)
Guru

Try a diffrent tv I have a spare one in my truck so when I do a service I can prove the tv is bad

Try a diffrent tv I have a spare one in my truck so when I do a service I can prove the tv is bad

9 of 19 (779 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 17, 2014 3:35:09 PM
(0)
Tutor

I would tend to agree, except that this is a 6 month old TV. On top of that, why would it be a TV issue when I only have flickering/ jumping while using Direct TV? Apple TV, Xbox, Blue Ray player all work fine if I switch over when the flickering issues start. If I go back and forth, the issue is only connected to Direct TV service.  I can fall back on TV warranty, etc if I need to, but it doesn't follow logic that the TV is the issue.

I would tend to agree, except that this is a 6 month old TV. On top of that, why would it be a TV issue when I only have flickering/ jumping while using Direct TV? Apple TV, Xbox, Blue Ray player all work fine if I switch over when the flickering issues start. If I go back and forth, the issue is only connected to Direct TV service.  I can fall back on TV warranty, etc if I need to, but it doesn't follow logic that the TV is the issue.

10 of 19 (779 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 17, 2014 3:38:20 PM
(0)
Guru

That is strange I have never seen a snowy flickering reciever in my experiece. Do you have pics

That is strange I have never seen a snowy flickering reciever in my experiece. Do you have pics

11 of 19 (779 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 17, 2014 3:42:13 PM
(0)
Guru

I would give the component cables a try like suggested.the hdmi out on the reciever may be shot.if that clears it up request a new one

I would give the component cables a try like suggested.the hdmi out on the reciever may be shot.if that clears it up request a new one

12 of 19 (779 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 17, 2014 3:49:26 PM
(0)
Tutor

No but I will get some next time it happens. It starts off with the screen jumping/ flickering (like the old tv's used to do when it was just an antenna on the roof during a windstorm), then the flickering increases and snowy picture makes it slowly close to impossible to even see the actors on screen. When I change the channel, sometimes it seems like the issue has stopped (which made me think it was an HBO specific issue initially) but within 5-10 seconds the same thing starts happening. 

No but I will get some next time it happens. It starts off with the screen jumping/ flickering (like the old tv's used to do when it was just an antenna on the roof during a windstorm), then the flickering increases and snowy picture makes it slowly close to impossible to even see the actors on screen. When I change the channel, sometimes it seems like the issue has stopped (which made me think it was an HBO specific issue initially) but within 5-10 seconds the same thing starts happening. 

13 of 19 (779 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 17, 2014 3:49:38 PM
(0)
Guru

Did you try a diffrrnt resolution setting on the dtv receiver like 720

Did you try a diffrrnt resolution setting on the dtv receiver like 720

14 of 19 (779 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 17, 2014 6:00:08 PM
(0)
Tutor

I have the Direct TV settings set to accept 480, 720, and 1080.

Again, it's a 6 month old Panasonic Viera Plasma TV 1080p

I have the Direct TV settings set to accept 480, 720, and 1080.

Again, it's a 6 month old Panasonic Viera Plasma TV 1080p

15 of 19 (779 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 17, 2014 6:05:04 PM
(0)
Tutor

Regarding the HDMI from Direct TV to TV, it does not go through the Receiver for Video, it goes directly from the DirectTV Box to the tv (so I can have Soccer on TV, but music playing instead of the TV sound)

Regarding the HDMI from Direct TV to TV, it does not go through the Receiver for Video, it goes directly from the DirectTV Box to the tv (so I can have Soccer on TV, but music playing instead of the TV sound)

16 of 19 (779 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2014 10:07:48 AM
(0)
Tutor

Here's another video of the same flickering, jumping. Didn't get the initial snowy lead in, but you get the idea

Here's another video of the same flickering, jumping. Didn't get the initial snowy lead in, but you get the idea

17 of 19 (779 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 6, 2014 9:43:20 AM
(0)
Tutor

Just wondering how this is considered "assumed answered"?  Is that an automatic status after a certain number of responses?  This is nowhere closer to being answered than when I first posted. Anyway to change the "assumed answered" status?

Just wondering how this is considered "assumed answered"?  Is that an automatic status after a certain number of responses?  This is nowhere closer to being answered than when I first posted. Anyway to change the "assumed answered" status?

18 of 19 (779 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 6, 2014 12:56:46 PM
(0)
Expert

When you make the initial post, there is a spot to mark that the post is a "question".  Here's something I would try.  Open the menu under setup resolutions and mark only a single resolution, that being the resolution of the TV, either 1080i or 720p.  Don't mark any others.  See if that makes any difference.  While you're messing with it you can also try disconnecting the digital audio feed from the DVR while the screen distortion is present.

When you make the initial post, there is a spot to mark that the post is a "question".  Here's something I would try.  Open the menu under setup resolutions and mark only a single resolution, that being the resolution of the TV, either 1080i or 720p.  Don't mark any others.  See if that makes any difference.  While you're messing with it you can also try disconnecting the digital audio feed from the DVR while the screen distortion is present.

Re: TV Picture flickering, jumping, snowing DVR and Live

19 of 19 (779 Views)