Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Forum

Posted May 24, 2013
2:48:52 PM
View profile
Screen freezes during fast forward

Sometimes, when I hit the >> 4 times to fast forward through commercials, the image on the screen will get stuck while the DVR continues to FF.  I have to slow it down or go back to play and FF again to see when it has gotten back to the program.   It doesn't happen every time, but in the past it never happened at all.  Normally I go into 4x >> mode and keep an eye on the screen to see when I'm through the commercials.  I can't rely on this method anymore without having to stop and start again.

Has anyone else seen this issue?

Sometimes, when I hit the >> 4 times to fast forward through commercials, the image on the screen will get stuck while the DVR continues to FF.  I have to slow it down or go back to play and FF again to see when it has gotten back to the program.   It doesn't happen every time, but in the past it never happened at all.  Normally I go into 4x >> mode and keep an eye on the screen to see when I'm through the commercials.  I can't rely on this method anymore without having to stop and start again.

Has anyone else seen this issue?

Screen freezes during fast forward

9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(9)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 24, 2013 2:53:14 PM
(0)
Employee

First thing to try is resetting your DVR/Receiver using the red button behind the front panel access card door. See if that helps.  

First thing to try is resetting your DVR/Receiver using the red button behind the front panel access card door. See if that helps.  

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Screen freezes during fast forward

2 of 10 (380 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 24, 2013 3:22:15 PM
(0)
Scholar

Thanks. I've tried the red button already, though I'll try it again.

Thanks. I've tried the red button already, though I'll try it again.

3 of 10 (380 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 24, 2013 5:18:25 PM
(0)
Scholar

See also

http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/230030-HR24-100-freezing

See also

http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/230030-HR24-100-freezing

4 of 10 (380 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 25, 2013 11:05:45 AM
(0)
Expert

Personally I find 4X useless for skipping commercials because the system cannot display the screen shots fast enough to keep up.  I use to 3X for maybe 5 seconds, then drop back to 2X and am able to stop in the right spot almost every time.

Personally I find 4X useless for skipping commercials because the system cannot display the screen shots fast enough to keep up.  I use to 3X for maybe 5 seconds, then drop back to 2X and am able to stop in the right spot almost every time.

5 of 10 (380 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 25, 2013 12:44:43 PM
(0)
Scholar

Thanks for the tip.  4X used to work.. Sometimes I use 3X as well.

An alternate way is that in researching this I found out that the Skip Forward button has 2 different modes.  30SLIP and 30SKIP.  

SLIP = you see the 30 seconds go by quickly on the screen.  

SKIP = it jumps instantly to 30 seconds ahead.

Mine used to be 30SKIP but something that DirecTV did changed that to 30SLIP at some point.  I found out how to reprogram the DVR to go back to 30SKIP, which I prefer.   Then I have to guess how many commercials I have to skip. and it doesn't take as long as 30SLIP.

However, I'd like the freezing of the screen on FF to be resolved as well.  I am pretty good at timing when to stop it when it's working correctly.

Also noteworthy, searching here in the forums wasn't very helpful, but searching on Google for the right threads in DirecTV forums worked much better at locating useful threads.

Thanks for the tip.  4X used to work.. Sometimes I use 3X as well.

An alternate way is that in researching this I found out that the Skip Forward button has 2 different modes.  30SLIP and 30SKIP.  

SLIP = you see the 30 seconds go by quickly on the screen.  

SKIP = it jumps instantly to 30 seconds ahead.

Mine used to be 30SKIP but something that DirecTV did changed that to 30SLIP at some point.  I found out how to reprogram the DVR to go back to 30SKIP, which I prefer.   Then I have to guess how many commercials I have to skip. and it doesn't take as long as 30SLIP.

However, I'd like the freezing of the screen on FF to be resolved as well.  I am pretty good at timing when to stop it when it's working correctly.

Also noteworthy, searching here in the forums wasn't very helpful, but searching on Google for the right threads in DirecTV forums worked much better at locating useful threads.

6 of 10 (380 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 26, 2013 8:31:53 AM
(0)
Expert

When you do a search, set it for "entire site" as opposed to "this forum" as the later refers to the forum you are currently in only.

When you do a search, set it for "entire site" as opposed to "this forum" as the later refers to the forum you are currently in only.

7 of 10 (380 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 26, 2013 8:50:30 AM
(0)
Scholar

Thanks for the tip.  I believe I searched all of the technical forums.  

The link to this search page appears at the top and seems to indicate I'm searching all forums, not one at a time.  Results on this search page come from multiple forums.

http://forums.directv.com/pe/action/search/goto?init=advancedsearch

Thanks for the tip.  I believe I searched all of the technical forums.  

The link to this search page appears at the top and seems to indicate I'm searching all forums, not one at a time.  Results on this search page come from multiple forums.

http://forums.directv.com/pe/action/search/goto?init=advancedsearch

8 of 10 (380 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 26, 2013 10:38:37 AM
(0)
Scholar

More data:  I tested whether the DVR recording 0, 1, or 2 programs while I'm playing back another causes the poor performance in FF.  The status of recording other programs alone did not trigger the issue.    I haven't been able to reliably replicate the issue or create an environment in which it arises.  However, it definitely has been happening, intermittently, for some time now.

More data:  I tested whether the DVR recording 0, 1, or 2 programs while I'm playing back another causes the poor performance in FF.  The status of recording other programs alone did not trigger the issue.    I haven't been able to reliably replicate the issue or create an environment in which it arises.  However, it definitely has been happening, intermittently, for some time now.

9 of 10 (380 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 1, 2013 9:51:11 AM
(0)
Scholar

DirecTV had to replace the DVR to clear this up.

DirecTV had to replace the DVR to clear this up.

10 of 10 (380 Views)