Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Forum

Posted Aug 18, 2014
5:21:01 PM
View profile
SME ODU Technology and RF Signals

Appreciate any response on these.

1. Are DirectTV satrellite dishes only receiving signals or do they transmit them as well? I would be concerend with transmitting RF or other electrical signals. Are the DirectTV dishes truly passive and non-transmitting?

2. Do all of the new DirectTV satellite dishes use the SMU ODU technology? Does the signal sent to the receivers happen via only coaxial cable or does it employ wireless RF signals? I would be concerend about RF signals, as I do NOT want wireless technology in my home.

3. If I only use one receiver and hence one TV to receive the DirectTV signal, do I need the SMU ODU device? Or, does DirectTV have single coaxial cables that connect directly to the LNB horn?

Thanks in advance.

Appreciate any response on these.

1. Are DirectTV satrellite dishes only receiving signals or do they transmit them as well? I would be concerend with transmitting RF or other electrical signals. Are the DirectTV dishes truly passive and non-transmitting?

2. Do all of the new DirectTV satellite dishes use the SMU ODU technology? Does the signal sent to the receivers happen via only coaxial cable or does it employ wireless RF signals? I would be concerend about RF signals, as I do NOT want wireless technology in my home.

3. If I only use one receiver and hence one TV to receive the DirectTV signal, do I need the SMU ODU device? Or, does DirectTV have single coaxial cables that connect directly to the LNB horn?

Thanks in advance.

SME ODU Technology and RF Signals

26 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(26)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2014 5:32:12 PM
(0)
Professor

1.Truly passive and non-transmitting

2. Only coax is used. The remotes can use both IR or RF so make sure the tech knows that you want IR and if you want an  internet connection for ON Demand tell the tech to use the wired DECA BB.

3.Both Genies are SWM (Single wire multiswitch) only, other receivers can use either the 2 coax system or the SWM, but the SWM is easier to install.

1.Truly passive and non-transmitting

2. Only coax is used. The remotes can use both IR or RF so make sure the tech knows that you want IR and if you want an  internet connection for ON Demand tell the tech to use the wired DECA BB.

3.Both Genies are SWM (Single wire multiswitch) only, other receivers can use either the 2 coax system or the SWM, but the SWM is easier to install.

Re: SME ODU Technology and RF Signals

2 of 27 (308 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2016 11:04:28 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by eajesse on Feb 20, 2016 at 11:06:08 AM

There is still RF radiating from the Genie box. However, I wonder why I am still getting RF signal in my bedroom, which is under and next to the DIRECT satellite dish, if the dish is passive? I can find no other reason for the signal, as I do not have Wi-Fi in my home and this signal is always there and does not go away when I turn off the televisions and unplug the Genie. Is there a way to temporarily disable the satellite, so I can check the RF measurements with the satellite deactivated?

There is still RF radiating from the Genie box. However, I wonder why I am still getting RF signal in my bedroom, which is under and next to the DIRECT satellite dish, if the dish is passive? I can find no other reason for the signal, as I do not have Wi-Fi in my home and this signal is always there and does not go away when I turn off the televisions and unplug the Genie. Is there a way to temporarily disable the satellite, so I can check the RF measurements with the satellite deactivated?

[ Edited ]
3 of 27 (300 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2016 11:45:44 AM
(0)
Guru
Unplug the swm power inserter then no power will
be going to the dish
Unplug the swm power inserter then no power will
be going to the dish

4 of 27 (282 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2016 12:42:53 PM
(0)
Teacher

Do you mean that I should un-screw the cable that is going into the SWM bar?

Do you mean that I should un-screw the cable that is going into the SWM bar?

5 of 27 (276 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2016 12:54:06 PM
(1)
Master

If you have an HR54 or H44 then you may not have a power inserter then you just unplug the recever. You can if you want to but just unplugging it will do the same thing and it is called the power inserter.

If you have an HR54 or H44 then you may not have a power inserter then you just unplug the recever. You can if you want to but just unplugging it will do the same thing and it is called the power inserter.

6 of 27 (272 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2016 1:28:58 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Pretty well all electronics including lighting will radiate some RF. Why are you so concerned?

Pretty well all electronics including lighting will radiate some RF. Why are you so concerned?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

7 of 27 (260 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2016 2:36:13 PM
(0)
Teacher

Why ask why? Because, it is tresspassing into my bedroom, and I didn't cause or invite it. I can turn lights and other electronics off at night, and in so doing, I can sleep, relatively, EMF free. This signal does not have an off option, and that is unacceptable to me. 

Why ask why? Because, it is tresspassing into my bedroom, and I didn't cause or invite it. I can turn lights and other electronics off at night, and in so doing, I can sleep, relatively, EMF free. This signal does not have an off option, and that is unacceptable to me. 

8 of 27 (239 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2016 3:09:08 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Personally, if I was very concerned about harmful EMF effects, I wouldn't have DirecTV equipment, or any sort of "cable boxes" for that matter.   Just about everything radiates WiFi, Bluetooth, or stray RF energy these days.   While you could connect your DirecTV equipment to a power strip with on/off buttons to totally kill the AC power, having a Receiver/DVR totally OFF all of the time will cause other issues with things like recording shows and downloading Guide Data.  

Personally, if I was very concerned about harmful EMF effects, I wouldn't have DirecTV equipment, or any sort of "cable boxes" for that matter.   Just about everything radiates WiFi, Bluetooth, or stray RF energy these days.   While you could connect your DirecTV equipment to a power strip with on/off buttons to totally kill the AC power, having a Receiver/DVR totally OFF all of the time will cause other issues with things like recording shows and downloading Guide Data.  

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

9 of 27 (218 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2016 3:13:40 PM
(0)
Teacher

I don't know if the power inserter and the SWM bar with the four cable outs is the same thing, or not? I don't see anything else to un-plug.

I don't know if the power inserter and the SWM bar with the four cable outs is the same thing, or not? I don't see anything else to un-plug.

10 of 27 (217 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2016 3:16:14 PM
(0)
Teacher

We un-plug the Genie most of the time, unless we want to watch the MSU game or a show once in a while. 

We un-plug the Genie most of the time, unless we want to watch the MSU game or a show once in a while. 

11 of 27 (214 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2016 3:18:47 PM
(0)
Master
Edited by shannon02 on Feb 20, 2016 at 3:23:58 PM

The 4 output device is the SWM splitter. the power inserter is needed to power the SWM LNB on the dish arm and unless you have an HR54 or H44 DTV receiver then there is one somewhere in the coax to the dish and it is usually connected to the SWM splitter.

The 4 output device is the SWM splitter. the power inserter is needed to power the SWM LNB on the dish arm and unless you have an HR54 or H44 DTV receiver then there is one somewhere in the coax to the dish and it is usually connected to the SWM splitter.

[ Edited ]
12 of 27 (210 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2016 3:20:19 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by eajesse on Feb 20, 2016 at 3:42:15 PM

Thanks

Thanks

[ Edited ]
13 of 27 (207 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2016 3:39:41 PM
(0)
Teacher

We have the HR44-500

We have the HR44-500

14 of 27 (201 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2016 3:55:08 PM
(0)
Teacher

Yes, and I want to find that stray RF and disable it! So, apparently, no one thinks the satellite dish could be the source, since the HR44 receiver is off and I still have the RF signal? Could the dish be some kind of unwilling type of projector of the stay signal, even with the box un-plugged?

Yes, and I want to find that stray RF and disable it! So, apparently, no one thinks the satellite dish could be the source, since the HR44 receiver is off and I still have the RF signal? Could the dish be some kind of unwilling type of projector of the stay signal, even with the box un-plugged?

15 of 27 (186 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2016 4:16:53 PM
(0)
Master

Since you have the HR44 there is a power inserter somewhere and this maybe the source you are looking for it is plugged into an A/C outlet and has a green light to show it is on and has a coax(es) connected to it.

Since you have the HR44 there is a power inserter somewhere and this maybe the source you are looking for it is plugged into an A/C outlet and has a green light to show it is on and has a coax(es) connected to it.

16 of 27 (181 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2016 5:09:36 PM
(0)
Guru
Yeah just like i told you unplug the swm power inserter
Yeah just like i told you unplug the swm power inserter

17 of 27 (163 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply

18 of 27 (161 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2016 5:22:47 PM
(0)
Teacher

I do not have one of these. 

I do not have one of these. 

19 of 27 (153 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2016 5:34:59 PM
(0)
Guru
Its somwhere in your house if you have the hr44
You have one
Its somwhere in your house if you have the hr44
You have one

20 of 27 (151 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2016 5:36:31 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by eajesse on Feb 20, 2016 at 5:37:27 PM

Found it! But it is plugged right into the Genie box. So, it isn't going to make a difference if I un-plug it, since I already had the whole Genie box unplugged.

Found it! But it is plugged right into the Genie box. So, it isn't going to make a difference if I un-plug it, since I already had the whole Genie box unplugged.

[ Edited ]
21 of 27 (149 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2016 6:14:26 PM
(0)
Guru
Yes it does if you do not unplug the swm the dish is still powered

Does not matter if you unplugged the geine
Yes it does if you do not unplug the swm the dish is still powered

Does not matter if you unplugged the geine

22 of 27 (130 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2016 7:15:12 PM
(0)
Teacher

Okay, I figured that since the power inserter was plugged into the Genie, that unplugging the Genie would un-power it all.  Either way, it isn't making a difference. I am still getting a RF signal from somewhere.

Okay, I figured that since the power inserter was plugged into the Genie, that unplugging the Genie would un-power it all.  Either way, it isn't making a difference. I am still getting a RF signal from somewhere.

23 of 27 (111 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2016 7:18:28 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

eajesse wrote:

Then it's not coming from your DirecTV equipment. 

eajesse wrote:

Then it's not coming from your DirecTV equipment. 

24 of 27 (109 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2016 7:19:20 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

How are you measuring this RF signal?

How are you measuring this RF signal?

25 of 27 (107 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2016 7:21:43 PM
(0)
Teacher

Right, but there IS also RF coming from the equipment--just not the RF signal I am trying to track down. I have the Genie wrapped in aluminum screening to tame the RF signal that radiates from the Genie on the rare occassions that we plug it in.

Right, but there IS also RF coming from the equipment--just not the RF signal I am trying to track down. I have the Genie wrapped in aluminum screening to tame the RF signal that radiates from the Genie on the rare occassions that we plug it in.

26 of 27 (106 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2016 7:26:40 PM
(0)
Teacher

With a field strength RF meter, model #ED85EXS by Cornet. It measures frequencies from 1 MHz up to 8GHz.

With a field strength RF meter, model #ED85EXS by Cornet. It measures frequencies from 1 MHz up to 8GHz.

27 of 27 (105 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments