Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Forum

Posted Feb 28, 2012
8:51:05 AM
View profile
Remote does not turn off TV and Receiver together

When I press the tv/receiver button on the white remote it only turns the receiver on/off. I have to toggle the slide to "TV" and press power to turn the TV off. Direct TV was installed yesterday. I have a problem with the time it was taking to switch channels, tech support fixed that problem by disabling something thast had to do with the remote but not the remote doesnt turn the Tv and receiver on/off by puching the one button. Help!

When I press the tv/receiver button on the white remote it only turns the receiver on/off. I have to toggle the slide to "TV" and press power to turn the TV off. Direct TV was installed yesterday. I have a problem with the time it was taking to switch channels, tech support fixed that problem by disabling something thast had to do with the remote but not the remote doesnt turn the Tv and receiver on/off by puching the one button. Help!

Remote does not turn off TV and Receiver together

10 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(10)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2012 9:04:00 AM
(0)
Professor

You probably need to reprogram the remote for the TV.

Try this.

Choose remote, Type in the Brand , get the code, instructions are there also.

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/remote_codes

You probably need to reprogram the remote for the TV.

Try this.

Choose remote, Type in the Brand , get the code, instructions are there also.

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/remote_codes

Re: Remote does not turn off TV and Receiver together

2 of 11 (2,181 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2012 3:08:00 PM
(0)
Scholar

I've also noticed a problem since 0x59e and don't believe it's a remote issue. If the screensaver is active, the OFF button and PWR must both be hit. On my TV hitting OFF twice is no solution. The second OFF turns off the receiver, but also turns the TV back on.

I've also noticed a problem since 0x59e and don't believe it's a remote issue. If the screensaver is active, the OFF button and PWR must both be hit. On my TV hitting OFF twice is no solution. The second OFF turns off the receiver, but also turns the TV back on.

3 of 11 (2,181 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2012 3:31:00 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

to the OP, what is the model of your TV?

to the OP, what is the model of your TV?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 11 (2,181 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2012 3:52:44 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Quote: Originally Posted by rijkstra  

I've also noticed a problem since 0x59e and don't believe it's a remote issue.  If the screensaver is active, the OFF button and PWR must both be hit.  On my TV hitting OFF twice is no solution.  The second OFF turns off the receiver, but also turns the TV back on.

Haven't heard of that problem.  Best to start your own new thread using the "Create New Post" button on the main forum page.  Your problem may very well be different from the original poster's.    With a new thread you can provide more information about your equipment, location, and troubleshooting you've tried so far.  And this forum software makes it difficult to track or respond to folks that add onto someone else's thread. 

Quote: Originally Posted by rijkstra  

I've also noticed a problem since 0x59e and don't believe it's a remote issue.  If the screensaver is active, the OFF button and PWR must both be hit.  On my TV hitting OFF twice is no solution.  The second OFF turns off the receiver, but also turns the TV back on.

Haven't heard of that problem.  Best to start your own new thread using the "Create New Post" button on the main forum page.  Your problem may very well be different from the original poster's.    With a new thread you can provide more information about your equipment, location, and troubleshooting you've tried so far.  And this forum software makes it difficult to track or respond to folks that add onto someone else's thread. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 11 (2,181 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2012 7:49:00 PM
(0)
Scholar
Quote: Originally Posted by litzdog911
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijkstra

Haven't heard of that problem. Best to start your own new thread using the "Create New Post" button on the main forum page. Your problem may very well be different from the original poster's. With a new thread you can provide more information about your equipment, location, and troubleshooting you've tried so far. And this forum software makes it difficult to track or respond to folks that add onto someone else's thread.

It's not a big enough deal compared to other things that need fixing. Half the time, I turn the two off separately anyway. I'm really only concerned with problems for which there are no practical workarounds.

Quote: Originally Posted by litzdog911
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijkstra

Haven't heard of that problem. Best to start your own new thread using the "Create New Post" button on the main forum page. Your problem may very well be different from the original poster's. With a new thread you can provide more information about your equipment, location, and troubleshooting you've tried so far. And this forum software makes it difficult to track or respond to folks that add onto someone else's thread.

It's not a big enough deal compared to other things that need fixing. Half the time, I turn the two off separately anyway. I'm really only concerned with problems for which there are no practical workarounds.

6 of 11 (2,181 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2012 7:53:00 PM
(0)
Scholar

Is there a place on line where we can actually see what was supposedly fixed by any given release?

Is there a place on line where we can actually see what was supposedly fixed by any given release?

7 of 11 (2,181 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2012 8:31:00 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
http://www.dbstalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=110

Best to start your own new thread using the "Create New Post" button on the main forum page. Your problem may very well be different from the original poster's. With a new thread you can provide more information about your equipment, location, and troubleshooting you've tried so far. And this forum software makes it difficult to track or respond to folks that add onto someone else's thread.

http://www.dbstalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=110

Best to start your own new thread using the "Create New Post" button on the main forum page. Your problem may very well be different from the original poster's. With a new thread you can provide more information about your equipment, location, and troubleshooting you've tried so far. And this forum software makes it difficult to track or respond to folks that add onto someone else's thread.

8 of 11 (2,181 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 29, 2012 4:29:00 AM
(0)
Mentor
If the TV doesn't turn off using the side on/off buttons then you don't have the correct remote code programmed
If the TV doesn't turn off using the side on/off buttons then you don't have the correct remote code programmed

9 of 11 (2,181 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 29, 2012 4:44:47 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Quote: Originally Posted by billthesat 

not necessarily true. some codes just don't have that function mapped with their code set.

Quote: Originally Posted by billthesat 

not necessarily true. some codes just don't have that function mapped with their code set.

10 of 11 (2,181 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 25, 2016 8:32:53 PM
(0)
Contributor
I know this is an old question but wanted to let some people know what happened with my setup. I found the code needed to program the remote to my specific television set at directv.com. Once it was programmed I realized the power button still didn't turn off the cable box and t.v. together but the on and off buttons on the right side of the remote control did the job. Also, I did upgrade my remote control from a rc65 to a rc66. The older version only allowed me to turn off the set together but only powered on the cable box.
I know this is an old question but wanted to let some people know what happened with my setup. I found the code needed to program the remote to my specific television set at directv.com. Once it was programmed I realized the power button still didn't turn off the cable box and t.v. together but the on and off buttons on the right side of the remote control did the job. Also, I did upgrade my remote control from a rc65 to a rc66. The older version only allowed me to turn off the set together but only powered on the cable box.

11 of 11 (1,606 Views)