Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Forum

Posted Jun 28, 2013
5:22:54 PM
View profile
Receiver (Genie) No internet connection.

I just got off of the phone with "technical" support.  We tried every "trick" that she had to get the receiver connected to the internet to no avail.  Of course I tried everything that she suggested before I even called but no dice.  I'm connecting via ethernet, she insisted that I needed to buy a cinema connection kit (note that it was connected a week ago, the last time that I used the receiver's DOD services.)

I tried setting static IP address, setting the correct subnet, correct DNS, correct gateway, resetting the receiver...still nothing.  The dhcp client in the receiver returns a 169.254.8.1/16 (255.255.0.0) with no fields set in the DNS or gateway settings.  I unplugged the ethernet (while on the phone) from the receiver and plugged into my laptop, connection was present with no problem.  I'm starting to believe that the receiver itself has some issues since it's the only component having issues connecting.

Is there something that I, or the CSR, missed?

I just got off of the phone with "technical" support.  We tried every "trick" that she had to get the receiver connected to the internet to no avail.  Of course I tried everything that she suggested before I even called but no dice.  I'm connecting via ethernet, she insisted that I needed to buy a cinema connection kit (note that it was connected a week ago, the last time that I used the receiver's DOD services.)

I tried setting static IP address, setting the correct subnet, correct DNS, correct gateway, resetting the receiver...still nothing.  The dhcp client in the receiver returns a 169.254.8.1/16 (255.255.0.0) with no fields set in the DNS or gateway settings.  I unplugged the ethernet (while on the phone) from the receiver and plugged into my laptop, connection was present with no problem.  I'm starting to believe that the receiver itself has some issues since it's the only component having issues connecting.

Is there something that I, or the CSR, missed?

Receiver (Genie) No internet connection.

50 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(50)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2013 5:37:24 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

what model of receiver do you have. look for the model number inside the access card door.. 

Do you also have WHDVR?

what model of receiver do you have. look for the model number inside the access card door.. 

Do you also have WHDVR?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Receiver (Genie) No internet connection.

2 of 51 (2,892 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2013 5:45:07 PM
(0)
Teacher

Thanks for the reply.

The model number is HR34-700.  I'm assuming WHDVR is whole home DVR?  If so, then yes, I have the "server" and two "clients."

**issue posting with that username for some reason

Thanks for the reply.

The model number is HR34-700.  I'm assuming WHDVR is whole home DVR?  If so, then yes, I have the "server" and two "clients."

**issue posting with that username for some reason

3 of 51 (2,892 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2013 5:47:25 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

How are you trying to connect the HR34 to the internet?

How are you trying to connect the HR34 to the internet?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 51 (2,892 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2013 5:50:56 PM
(0)
Teacher

The connection is directly coming from my AT&T Uverse Modem (Motorola NVG 510) via ethernet.  I tried to port forward the receiver's ports that it uses, but the profile that I created for the receiver cannot be assigned to the receiver because it isn't connecting even to my local, private network.

The connection is directly coming from my AT&T Uverse Modem (Motorola NVG 510) via ethernet.  I tried to port forward the receiver's ports that it uses, but the profile that I created for the receiver cannot be assigned to the receiver because it isn't connecting even to my local, private network.

5 of 51 (2,892 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2013 6:06:44 PM
(0)
Teacher

If it is an issue with the receiver, I can see that it may be difficult convincing a CSR to send me a new one.

If it is an issue with the receiver, I can see that it may be difficult convincing a CSR to send me a new one.

6 of 51 (2,892 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2013 6:28:27 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Have you tried replacing the Ethernet cable?  We have seen instances were the cable will connect with a laptop but not with the receiver and wind up being the cable

Have you tried replacing the Ethernet cable?  We have seen instances were the cable will connect with a laptop but not with the receiver and wind up being the cable

7 of 51 (2,892 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2013 6:37:19 PM
(0)
Teacher

Yes, I have.  Unfortunately that didn't help either.

Yes, I have.  Unfortunately that didn't help either.

8 of 51 (2,892 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2013 6:43:24 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

MENU SETTINGS & HELP SETTINGS NETWORK SET UP RESTORE DEFAULTS CONNECT NOW GET CONNECTED

MENU SETTINGS & HELP SETTINGS NETWORK SET UP RESTORE DEFAULTS CONNECT NOW GET CONNECTED

9 of 51 (2,892 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2013 6:45:51 PM
(0)
Teacher

I just tried a third to be sure....didn't work either.

I just tried a third to be sure....didn't work either.

10 of 51 (2,892 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2013 6:46:13 PM
(0)
Teacher

I'll do it again just to be sure.

I'll do it again just to be sure.

11 of 51 (2,892 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2013 6:48:49 PM
(0)
Teacher

After restoring defaults, the options available are:

1. Test Connection

2. Repeat Network Setup

3. Advanced Setup

4. Network Services

5. Restore Defaults.

After restoring defaults, the options available are:

1. Test Connection

2. Repeat Network Setup

3. Advanced Setup

4. Network Services

5. Restore Defaults.

12 of 51 (2,892 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2013 6:50:32 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

#2 Repeat Network Setup

#2 Repeat Network Setup

13 of 51 (2,892 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2013 6:53:20 PM
(0)
Teacher

Okay, the system finally allowed me to run a system test.  There were 3 failures:

Diagnostic Code: 70-73-79-708

1. Cannot Detect Home Network

- Your receiver is configured to work with a home network but the network was not detected......etc etc

2. Cannot Detect Network or Phone Dial Tone

3. Network:

- Playback Errors due to dropped connections. This receiver appears to be experiencing network playback errors....etc etc

Okay, the system finally allowed me to run a system test.  There were 3 failures:

Diagnostic Code: 70-73-79-708

1. Cannot Detect Home Network

- Your receiver is configured to work with a home network but the network was not detected......etc etc

2. Cannot Detect Network or Phone Dial Tone

3. Network:

- Playback Errors due to dropped connections. This receiver appears to be experiencing network playback errors....etc etc

14 of 51 (2,892 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2013 7:03:07 PM
(0)
Teacher

Okay, here's what I get now from Repeat Network Setup.

IP Address: 169.254.8.1   OK

Subnet Mask 255.255.0.0 OK

Default Gateway: -            -

DNS:                    -          -

Network: Coax Not Connected (9)

Internet: Not Connected (13)

Result Code: 86-28

Okay, here's what I get now from Repeat Network Setup.

15 of 51 (2,892 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2013 5:59:32 AM
(0)
Expert

Try Peds48's instructions with one twist. "MENU SETTINGS & HELP SETTINGS NETWORK SET UP RESTORE DEFAULTS (stop at this point and do to your router/modem and disconnect AC power.  Wait a couple of minutes and plug it back in.  When all the lights settle down, do back to the DVR and proceed) CONNECT NOW GET CONNECTED

Try Peds48's instructions with one twist. "MENU SETTINGS & HELP SETTINGS NETWORK SET UP RESTORE DEFAULTS (stop at this point and do to your router/modem and disconnect AC power.  Wait a couple of minutes and plug it back in.  When all the lights settle down, do back to the DVR and proceed) CONNECT NOW GET CONNECTED

16 of 51 (2,892 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2013 8:16:49 AM
(0)
Teacher

Unfortunately, that didn't work either. The result was:

I tried a static input as well, that didn't work either.

Unfortunately, that didn't work either. The result was:

I tried a static input as well, that didn't work either.

17 of 51 (2,892 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2013 10:22:43 AM
(0)
Expert

Did you in fact try a different Ethernet cable as previously discussed?  I only ask because as we pursue a solution for you, it's imperative that we don't simply blow past a suggestion you may feel has no merit.  The 169 IP address indicates that the DVR is set to a self generated address and is getting nothing from the router.  Is the router set for DHCP?

Did you in fact try a different Ethernet cable as previously discussed?  I only ask because as we pursue a solution for you, it's imperative that we don't simply blow past a suggestion you may feel has no merit.  The 169 IP address indicates that the DVR is set to a self generated address and is getting nothing from the router.  Is the router set for DHCP?

18 of 51 (2,892 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2013 11:06:39 AM
(0)
Teacher

Yes, I've tried 3 different ethernet cables, the one that came with the receiver, and two others from devices that are connecting correctly via DHCP.  But yes, DHCP is enabled on my router and I have also tried to assign a static address to the receiver, neither worked unfortunately. 

Yes, I've tried 3 different ethernet cables, the one that came with the receiver, and two others from devices that are connecting correctly via DHCP.  But yes, DHCP is enabled on my router and I have also tried to assign a static address to the receiver, neither worked unfortunately. 

19 of 51 (2,892 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2013 1:10:33 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

error 13 above indicates that the HR34 is not seeing your router.  Have your try resetting your router?  Does the LED light up on your router's port where the HR34 is connected?

error 13 above indicates that the HR34 is not seeing your router.  Have your try resetting your router?  Does the LED light up on your router's port where the HR34 is connected?

20 of 51 (2,892 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2013 1:37:28 PM
(0)
Teacher

There are no individual port/interface lights on the NVG510, just a single one.  It is lit however.  The NIC on the back of the receiver also indicates connectivity with an orange and yellow light.  I did just do a reset on my modem/router, but it still came back with the same errors/behavior.

There are no individual port/interface lights on the NVG510, just a single one.  It is lit however.  The NIC on the back of the receiver also indicates connectivity with an orange and yellow light.  I did just do a reset on my modem/router, but it still came back with the same errors/behavior.

21 of 51 (2,892 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2013 1:45:08 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

So you are saying that your gateway only has one Ethernet port?  if so, you are going to need a router in order to connect the Genie.

So you are saying that your gateway only has one Ethernet port?  if so, you are going to need a router in order to connect the Genie.

22 of 51 (2,892 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2013 4:36:06 PM
(0)
Teacher

No, it is a 4 port/interface modem.

U-verse Internet Gateway: Motorola Model NVG510 - Equipment at AT&T

There are two other devices connected to this same modem that are having no issues.  The modem's DHCP server is assigning each of them an IP, Subnet Mask, DNS, and Gateway address, just as a DHCP server should.  Just for testing purposes, I had an extra NVG510 (new, out of box), connected it and still had the same issue.  On this new modem/router, the same problem persisted.

No, it is a 4 port/interface modem.

U-verse Internet Gateway: Motorola Model NVG510 - Equipment at AT&T

There are two other devices connected to this same modem that are having no issues.  The modem's DHCP server is assigning each of them an IP, Subnet Mask, DNS, and Gateway address, just as a DHCP server should.  Just for testing purposes, I had an extra NVG510 (new, out of box), connected it and still had the same issue.  On this new modem/router, the same problem persisted.

23 of 51 (2,892 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2013 5:55:19 PM
(0)
Tutor

I am so unhappy with direct tv right now it's not funny. I am a new customer on ly  6 weeks. I have no signal yet again and they told me the earliest apt is Weds. So not tv for 5 days. I'm willing to pay the early termination fee and go back to comcast. It cost a little more but in the long run it will be worth it.  You would think they could send a tech out faster than 4 to  5 days. I live in a large town/citiy it's not like we are in the boon docks lol

I am so unhappy with direct tv right now it's not funny. I am a new customer on ly  6 weeks. I have no signal yet again and they told me the earliest apt is Weds. So not tv for 5 days. I'm willing to pay the early termination fee and go back to comcast. It cost a little more but in the long run it will be worth it.  You would think they could send a tech out faster than 4 to  5 days. I live in a large town/citiy it's not like we are in the boon docks lol

24 of 51 (2,892 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2013 5:57:16 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Then it loks like the Genie is defective. 

Call DirecTV to request a replacement Receiver/DVR.  It's free if you have their Equipment Protection Plan, or within 90-days of installation.  Otherwise ~$20 for shipping.  Or ~$50 to have a tech come replace it for you.

Then it loks like the Genie is defective. 

Call DirecTV to request a replacement Receiver/DVR.  It's free if you have their Equipment Protection Plan, or within 90-days of installation.  Otherwise ~$20 for shipping.  Or ~$50 to have a tech come replace it for you.

25 of 51 (2,892 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2013 6:01:19 PM
(0)
Teacher

By the way, do you know what the early termination fee is?  After calling their tech support and getting a less than helpful CSR, I think that may be my next step if I cannot get a resolution for this issue.

Multiple ethernet cables, two modems.....there's not much else on the private network side I can do.  I suppose I can try to setup a DHCP server on my Mac to see if it recognizes the connection to the receiver.  If not, it's all the receiver, without even a local connection to the private network a network analysis cannot even be performed via packet sniffing. 

By the way, do you know what the early termination fee is?  After calling their tech support and getting a less than helpful CSR, I think that may be my next step if I cannot get a resolution for this issue.

Multiple ethernet cables, two modems.....there's not much else on the private network side I can do.  I suppose I can try to setup a DHCP server on my Mac to see if it recognizes the connection to the receiver.  If not, it's all the receiver, without even a local connection to the private network a network analysis cannot even be performed via packet sniffing. 

26 of 51 (2,892 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2013 6:09:04 PM
(0)
Contributor

Thanks, I will if the problem continues.

Thanks, I will if the problem continues.

27 of 51 (2,892 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2013 6:46:21 PM
(0)
Tutor

according to what they told me with a 2 yrs contract it's 20  per month that you have left in the contract. My old cable company is giving me a 200.00 gift debit card just for going back as a new customer. They now have competitive packages to direct tv with all 3 services thru them unlike I have to get internet and phone from Verizon to get the bundle package that I have.  So I'm just going to downgrade to the 29.99 package and keep paying it for a few months but I won't be using the service. then once I get the debit gift card from Comcast I will use it to pay towards the rest of the early termination fee. I get the card after 90 days so that way my termination fee will have gone done by $60.00 to also help with the cost. I can't believe 5 days for a tech to come out . That's just ridiculous!!

according to what they told me with a 2 yrs contract it's 20  per month that you have left in the contract. My old cable company is giving me a 200.00 gift debit card just for going back as a new customer. They now have competitive packages to direct tv with all 3 services thru them unlike I have to get internet and phone from Verizon to get the bundle package that I have.  So I'm just going to downgrade to the 29.99 package and keep paying it for a few months but I won't be using the service. then once I get the debit gift card from Comcast I will use it to pay towards the rest of the early termination fee. I get the card after 90 days so that way my termination fee will have gone done by $60.00 to also help with the cost. I can't believe 5 days for a tech to come out . That's just ridiculous!!

28 of 51 (2,892 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2013 6:49:22 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

well it seems that you want to rant, if so then fine.  if you want ti see if we can help, please start a new thread

well it seems that you want to rant, if so then fine.  if you want ti see if we can help, please start a new thread

29 of 51 (2,892 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2013 6:50:13 PM
(0)
Tutor

I have the protection plan but they still can't come out until Weds the earliest

I have the protection plan but they still can't come out until Weds the earliest

30 of 51 (2,892 Views)