Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Forum

Posted Jul 6, 2012
8:53:09 AM
View profile
RV Tracvision doesn't work with H24-700 Direct TV Receiver

I was upgraded last fall to the H24-700 receiver in my home and I take this unit on the road in my RV also, My Tracvision is a Model R5/SL in motion 2008 vintage (don't work sitting or in motion no signal) and it worked fine with my old receiver but with the new one I get a 771 message and will not display signal on TV screen during set up. I'm connected through HDMI cable to TV.

In reading some other threads it appears this may not be a compatible system with each other or is it a setup issue?

1. What do i set dish configuration to 18" round like before?

2. What is the correct multiswitch setting?

3. Do I use the B Band Converter Module to get this to work?

4. What are my options/models for purchasing a receiver that will work with the Tracvision system i already have?

Thank you for your support,

I was upgraded last fall to the H24-700 receiver in my home and I take this unit on the road in my RV also, My Tracvision is a Model R5/SL in motion 2008 vintage (don't work sitting or in motion no signal) and it worked fine with my old receiver but with the new one I get a 771 message and will not display signal on TV screen during set up. I'm connected through HDMI cable to TV.

In reading some other threads it appears this may not be a compatible system with each other or is it a setup issue?

1. What do i set dish configuration to 18" round like before?

2. What is the correct multiswitch setting?

3. Do I use the B Band Converter Module to get this to work?

4. What are my options/models for purchasing a receiver that will work with the Tracvision system i already have?

Thank you for your support,

RV Tracvision doesn't work with H24-700 Direct TV Receiver

22 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(22)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 6, 2012 9:08:21 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

what type of dish you have in for house?  if is a SWM, then you most likely have to change the dish settings on the H24.  You don't need BBCs, because your dish will not get any HD channels.

Here are the steps to get the dish type changed.

From the Menu 

Using the Arrow buttons navigate to - select Parental, Favorites, Setup - press Select button

Using the Arrow buttons navigate to highlight - select System Set Up - press Select button

Using the Arrow buttons navigate to highlight - select Satellite - press Select button

Using the Arrow buttons navigate to highlight - select Repeat Satellite Setup - press Select button

Follow the on screen instructions and press the - Dash button

A new screen will be shown

Use the Arrow buttons navigate to Switch - then press the Select button

In the drop-down box use the Arrow buttons to highlight  02 Multiswitch then press Select button

Use the Arrow buttons and highlight Dish Type - press the Select button

In the drop-down box use the Arrow buttons to highlight 01-18" round then press the Select button

Use the Arrow buttons to navigate to Continue until you can hight light - Watch DirectTV

what type of dish you have in for house?  if is a SWM, then you most likely have to change the dish settings on the H24.  You don't need BBCs, because your dish will not get any HD channels.

Here are the steps to get the dish type changed.

From the Menu 

Using the Arrow buttons navigate to - select Parental, Favorites, Setup - press Select button

Using the Arrow buttons navigate to highlight - select System Set Up - press Select button

Using the Arrow buttons navigate to highlight - select Satellite - press Select button

Using the Arrow buttons navigate to highlight - select Repeat Satellite Setup - press Select button

Follow the on screen instructions and press the - Dash button

A new screen will be shown

Use the Arrow buttons navigate to Switch - then press the Select button

In the drop-down box use the Arrow buttons to highlight  02 Multiswitch then press Select button

Use the Arrow buttons and highlight Dish Type - press the Select button

In the drop-down box use the Arrow buttons to highlight 01-18" round then press the Select button

Use the Arrow buttons to navigate to Continue until you can hight light - Watch DirectTV

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: RV Tracvision doesn't work with H24-700 Direct TV Receiver

2 of 23 (483 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 6, 2012 9:19:50 AM
(0)
Tutor

I'm not sure what you mean by SWM dish but they upgraded it also last fall, how do i tell if it is a SWM dish?

It appears to be oval in shape and they changed it from 3 LNB's to a single at upgrade and removed second dish for local channels so I just have one dish now, I have a DVR and HD service in home?

Thank you your reply,

I'm not sure what you mean by SWM dish but they upgraded it also last fall, how do i tell if it is a SWM dish?

It appears to be oval in shape and they changed it from 3 LNB's to a single at upgrade and removed second dish for local channels so I just have one dish now, I have a DVR and HD service in home?

Thank you your reply,

3 of 23 (483 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 6, 2012 10:59:05 AM
(0)
Guru

The tracvision a5/SL IS AN INMOTION STANDARD DIFIONATION dish.  There is NO WAY to recieve HD with this unit.   You need to due one of two things, either upgrage the dish system, OR use a standard dif reciever.

The tracvision a5/SL IS AN INMOTION STANDARD DIFIONATION dish.  There is NO WAY to recieve HD with this unit.   You need to due one of two things, either upgrage the dish system, OR use a standard dif reciever.

4 of 23 (483 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 6, 2012 11:16:45 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Quote: Originally Posted by cabletech 

You need to due one of two things, either upgrage the dish system, OR use a standard dif reciever.

the H24 works fine with any dish type.  as long as the OP don't mind getting SD channels only, the H24 can be use with the In Motion dish.

murf710, use follow the instructions to change your dish type.  

Quote: Originally Posted by cabletech 

You need to due one of two things, either upgrage the dish system, OR use a standard dif reciever.

the H24 works fine with any dish type.  as long as the OP don't mind getting SD channels only, the H24 can be use with the In Motion dish.

murf710, use follow the instructions to change your dish type.  

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 23 (483 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 6, 2012 1:04:00 PM
(0)
Expert
Quote: Originally Posted by murf710 

On any connected HD receiver or DVR press the dash (-) button.  If you have a SWM system the resulting message will so state.

Quote: Originally Posted by murf710 

On any connected HD receiver or DVR press the dash (-) button.  If you have a SWM system the resulting message will so state.

6 of 23 (483 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 6, 2012 1:17:38 PM
(0)
Tutor

I have called around to my location satellite installers and box stores and no one has a non HD receiver, any ideas on where to find one and if it will work on directs system still?

I have called around to my location satellite installers and box stores and no one has a non HD receiver, any ideas on where to find one and if it will work on directs system still?

7 of 23 (483 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 6, 2012 1:20:11 PM
(0)
Tutor

If I install the B Band Converter will that work for signal until I can get a permanent fix?

If I install the B Band Converter will that work for signal until I can get a permanent fix?

8 of 23 (483 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 6, 2012 1:27:20 PM
(0)
Mentor

u dont need a converter if ur using a standard dish. did u try to change the dish type on the receiver?

u dont need a converter if ur using a standard dish. did u try to change the dish type on the receiver?

9 of 23 (483 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 6, 2012 1:31:27 PM
(0)
Mentor

if ur stuck to getting a std box instead. u can get one off ebay. just make sure its a n owned receiver  cause it can be difficult or sometimes impossible to get a leased receiver swtiched to another account.

if ur stuck to getting a std box instead. u can get one off ebay. just make sure its a n owned receiver  cause it can be difficult or sometimes impossible to get a leased receiver swtiched to another account.

10 of 23 (483 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 6, 2012 1:32:34 PM
(0)
Mentor

or call into directv to get one, either or is up to u

or call into directv to get one, either or is up to u

11 of 23 (483 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 6, 2012 1:35:07 PM
(0)
Tutor

I did all the programing like he told me and set it to 01 -18" round and set to multi switch and it has signals from transponders now and a signal strength of 83 but still states "a satellite signal could not be detected" and has no Tv on screen?

I did all the programing like he told me and set it to 01 -18" round and set to multi switch and it has signals from transponders now and a signal strength of 83 but still states "a satellite signal could not be detected" and has no Tv on screen?

12 of 23 (483 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 6, 2012 1:47:18 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Are you sure you're aimed at the correct satellite? What are your signal readings ....

Please post back with your signal readings for each satellite's transponders (and both tuners if applicable).  You'll find these readings under "Menu" -> "Setup" -> "System Setup" -> Satellite -> "View Signal Strength".  Note the "+" and "-" symbols next to the "Satellite" and "Tuner" entries where you can toggle the readings between the various satellites and both DVR tuners. 

Fill in your readings for each satellite and tuner using these examples.  A properly aligned dish will show 80-90s on most of the relevant transponders (although some will be low or zero):

Satellite transponders (32 total at 101º)

[Most of your standard definition channels are beamed from 101ºW]

1-8    #   #   #   #   #   #   #   #

9-16   #   #   #   #   #   #   #   #

17-24  #   #   #   #   #   #   #   #

25-32  #   #   #   #   #   #   #   #

Are you sure you're aimed at the correct satellite? What are your signal readings ....

Please post back with your signal readings for each satellite's transponders (and both tuners if applicable).  You'll find these readings under "Menu" -> "Setup" -> "System Setup" -> Satellite -> "View Signal Strength".  Note the "+" and "-" symbols next to the "Satellite" and "Tuner" entries where you can toggle the readings between the various satellites and both DVR tuners. 

Fill in your readings for each satellite and tuner using these examples.  A properly aligned dish will show 80-90s on most of the relevant transponders (although some will be low or zero):

Satellite transponders (32 total at 101º)

[Most of your standard definition channels are beamed from 101ºW]

1-8    #   #   #   #   #   #   #   #

9-16   #   #   #   #   #   #   #   #

17-24  #   #   #   #   #   #   #   #

25-32  #   #   #   #   #   #   #   #

13 of 23 (483 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 6, 2012 2:08:01 PM
(0)
Tutor

Attached are my readings,

Direct TV 1.jpg
Direct TV.jpg
Direct TV 2.jpg

Attached are my readings,

Direct TV 1.jpg
Direct TV.jpg
Direct TV 2.jpg
Direct TV 1.jpg
Direct TV.jpg
Direct TV 2.jpg

14 of 23 (483 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 6, 2012 2:10:37 PM
(0)
Tutor

I called DTV about SD receiver and they are telling me that i can change my H24 to a SD by Hiding HD channels on reprogramming???

I called DTV about SD receiver and they are telling me that i can change my H24 to a SD by Hiding HD channels on reprogramming???

15 of 23 (483 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 6, 2012 3:06:11 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

if you let go of the idea that you need a new receiver, you will have better chances  of getting this to work.  your H24 WILL work with your current dish.   what is probably happening is that your dish is loosing the satellite connection while the receiver is "verifying configuration"

what happens if you press "re-test"

if you let go of the idea that you need a new receiver, you will have better chances  of getting this to work.  your H24 WILL work with your current dish.   what is probably happening is that your dish is loosing the satellite connection while the receiver is "verifying configuration"

what happens if you press "re-test"

16 of 23 (483 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 6, 2012 3:14:23 PM
(0)
Tutor

Same messages I have done it 3 times, RV is in my drivway on jacks not moving why would it lose signal?

Same messages I have done it 3 times, RV is in my drivway on jacks not moving why would it lose signal?

17 of 23 (483 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 6, 2012 3:38:11 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Be sure to change the switch type to "Multiswitch" BEFORE specifying the dish type during the satellite setup process. 

Be sure to change the switch type to "Multiswitch" BEFORE specifying the dish type during the satellite setup process. 

18 of 23 (483 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 6, 2012 6:32:19 PM
(0)
Tutor

actually - I've found more success of changing it from, say a dish type 17 to an 03, then changing the switch to 02 multiswitch, then changing the dish to an 01. It seems that it will hang on the SWM setting otherwise.

actually - I've found more success of changing it from, say a dish type 17 to an 03, then changing the switch to 02 multiswitch, then changing the dish to an 01. It seems that it will hang on the SWM setting otherwise.

19 of 23 (483 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 6, 2012 6:44:15 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Quote: Originally Posted by brubear 

the key here is to change the switch setting FIRST, then the dish setting.

Quote: Originally Posted by brubear 

the key here is to change the switch setting FIRST, then the dish setting.

20 of 23 (483 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2012 7:08:06 AM
(0)
Contributor

DON'T BOTHER WASTING YOUR TIME, YOU WILL HAVE TO HAVE A TECHNICIAN COME OUT TO HELP YOU....IF YOU SPEND YOUR TIME CALLING, YOU WILL BE ON THE PHONE ALL DAY.  SWITCH TO COMCAST...YOU WILL ALSO HAVE PACK 12 CHANNELS

DON'T BOTHER WASTING YOUR TIME, YOU WILL HAVE TO HAVE A TECHNICIAN COME OUT TO HELP YOU....IF YOU SPEND YOUR TIME CALLING, YOU WILL BE ON THE PHONE ALL DAY.  SWITCH TO COMCAST...YOU WILL ALSO HAVE PACK 12 CHANNELS

21 of 23 (483 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2012 7:36:26 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Quote: Originally Posted by directtvsucks_5 

SWITCH TO COMCAST...

hmm, with Crapcast you wont be able to take your box with you....

Quote: Originally Posted by directtvsucks_5 

SWITCH TO COMCAST...

hmm, with Crapcast you wont be able to take your box with you....

22 of 23 (483 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 22, 2012 11:25:46 AM
(0)
Expert

Why is it that some folks that are unhappy find it necessary to spread their misery to others.

Why is it that some folks that are unhappy find it necessary to spread their misery to others.

23 of 23 (483 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments