Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

Questions about your Smartphone data usage? Please join us here for a live “Ask an Expert” event on Wednesday, August 24th from 1-5 pm ET / 10am-2pm PT.

DIRECTV Forum

Posted Nov 1, 2012
10:44:45 AM
Problems with the Directv genie C31 clients

I just had DTV set up Monday the 29th , I have  3 C31 clients with one HR34 Genie setup,

Today when i started up one of the clients all I get is a white screen , I then went to the main HR34 to check if it was showing any clients and it wasn't , Then i reset the HR34 then the clients started back up OK. Later in the afternoon i went back to the TV with the client and the same thing happened  got the white screen, so I called the DTV installer and he told me to reset the HR34 and then put in the code 02468 as soon as it said hello on the screen, Then it went through the reset process and the clients came back on. everything is fine for now i will log back on here later to give an update on if this fixed the problem or not.

Thank You

I just had DTV set up Monday the 29th , I have  3 C31 clients with one HR34 Genie setup,

Today when i started up one of the clients all I get is a white screen , I then went to the main HR34 to check if it was showing any clients and it wasn't , Then i reset the HR34 then the clients started back up OK. Later in the afternoon i went back to the TV with the client and the same thing happened  got the white screen, so I called the DTV installer and he told me to reset the HR34 and then put in the code 02468 as soon as it said hello on the screen, Then it went through the reset process and the clients came back on. everything is fine for now i will log back on here later to give an update on if this fixed the problem or not.

Thank You

Problems with the Directv genie C31 clients

49 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(49)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 1, 2012 12:36:50 PM
(0)
Expert

If this occurs again try doing a red button reset on the HR34 plus all the clients.

If this occurs again try doing a red button reset on the HR34 plus all the clients.

Re: Problems with the Directv genie C31 clients

2 of 50 (96 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 3, 2012 5:58:43 AM
(0)
Contributor
This has been happening to me since I got the Genie system three weeks ago. I have had numerous technicians come out and replace the client receiver. I am resetting my receivers 4-5 times a day. Directv will do nothing for us. After paying almost $400 for the new system you think they would do something for us. Directv says no one other than me is having issues and they aren't aware of technical problems with the Genie system. If you are reading this do not get the Genie. It is an inferior product and doesn't work properly. Don't pay all the money for it.
This has been happening to me since I got the Genie system three weeks ago. I have had numerous technicians come out and replace the client receiver. I am resetting my receivers 4-5 times a day. Directv will do nothing for us. After paying almost $400 for the new system you think they would do something for us. Directv says no one other than me is having issues and they aren't aware of technical problems with the Genie system. If you are reading this do not get the Genie. It is an inferior product and doesn't work properly. Don't pay all the money for it.

3 of 50 (96 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 3, 2012 6:04:03 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Quote: Originally Posted by johnbadrov 
. If you are reading this do not get the Genie. It is an inferior product and doesn't work properly. Don't pay all the money for it.

I have to strongly disagree with you. I have had the Genie for a couple of months now, and it works flawlessly.  to all readers, this a great product by far.  This just goes to show how DirecTV is leading on the competition!!!.   Perhaps if you start a fresh thread, we can try to see what is going on with your system.

I am a DirecTV installer.  I post on these forums as a volunteer and as such, my views, comments, and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV 

Quote: Originally Posted by johnbadrov 
. If you are reading this do not get the Genie. It is an inferior product and doesn't work properly. Don't pay all the money for it.

I have to strongly disagree with you. I have had the Genie for a couple of months now, and it works flawlessly.  to all readers, this a great product by far.  This just goes to show how DirecTV is leading on the competition!!!.   Perhaps if you start a fresh thread, we can try to see what is going on with your system.

I am a DirecTV installer.  I post on these forums as a volunteer and as such, my views, comments, and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 50 (96 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 3, 2012 6:12:55 AM
(0)
Tutor

After I reset my main receiver I haven't had any trouble with the C31 clients , If you try to reset your receiver , flip down the door on your receiver and push in the red button on the receiver after you see the hello on the screen put in this code 02468 and it should start downloading a new version of firmware and then your clients should work properly after it resets.

I hope this can help someone. 

After I reset my main receiver I haven't had any trouble with the C31 clients , If you try to reset your receiver , flip down the door on your receiver and push in the red button on the receiver after you see the hello on the screen put in this code 02468 and it should start downloading a new version of firmware and then your clients should work properly after it resets.

I hope this can help someone. 

5 of 50 (96 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 3, 2012 6:48:45 AM
(0)
Tutor

I am having the same problem with my Client. I had my new service installed last sunday, and woke up Friday morning with a white screen with my client. I have 1 receiver and 1 client. When I called for support they only had me unplug and reset my client. They never asked me to reset my main receiver. Instead i have to wait until Tuesday for a technician to come out to my house. Will this code 02468 work on my receiver also?

I am having the same problem with my Client. I had my new service installed last sunday, and woke up Friday morning with a white screen with my client. I have 1 receiver and 1 client. When I called for support they only had me unplug and reset my client. They never asked me to reset my main receiver. Instead i have to wait until Tuesday for a technician to come out to my house. Will this code 02468 work on my receiver also?

6 of 50 (96 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 3, 2012 7:01:10 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Quote: Originally Posted by eaajah 

Will this code 02468 work on my receiver also?

Absolutely no!  is never a good idea to force a software download to any receiver. at best you will get the same copy of the software you already have making this useless, at worse you can get BETA software that can brick your receiver.

Will this code 02468 work on my receiver also?

Absolutely no!  is never a good idea to force a software download to any receiver. at best you will get the same copy of the software you already have making this useless, at worse you can get BETA software that can brick your receiver.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

7 of 50 (96 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 3, 2012 7:01:45 AM
(0)
Tutor

If you have the new Genie HR34 this should work

8 of 50 (96 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 3, 2012 7:03:54 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Quote: Originally Posted by fritoman 

wrong.  see post #7

wrong.  see post #7

9 of 50 (96 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 3, 2012 7:06:14 AM
(0)
Tutor

I don't want anyone to Brick there receiver but this firmware I put in my receiver was new and I don't no why it wasn't used when my service was installed    

I don't want anyone to Brick there receiver but this firmware I put in my receiver was new and I don't no why it wasn't used when my service was installed    

10 of 50 (96 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 3, 2012 7:09:51 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

the receivers always says "new" software, even if its downloading the same version, or a BETA version.  not recommended.  

the receivers always says "new" software, even if its downloading the same version, or a BETA version.  not recommended.  

11 of 50 (96 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 3, 2012 7:11:30 AM
(0)
Tutor

My installer told me this problem was happening with all of his installs DTV should no this problem by now , 

My installer told me this problem was happening with all of his installs DTV should no this problem by now , 

12 of 50 (96 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 3, 2012 7:13:52 AM
(0)
Tutor

Resetting all of the clients and the DVR will not solve this problem , I know because i tried it this is the only fix 

Resetting all of the clients and the DVR will not solve this problem , I know because i tried it this is the only fix 

13 of 50 (96 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 3, 2012 7:19:26 AM
(0)
Contributor
Okay. So if this isn't true why did I just have the third technician call in less than two weeks today. Again did nothing but replace the client receiver. Also, to the dirextv installer on this thead, if this isn't true then why did the technician that came today say that more than a few people are having this issue. Also, he called in and was told to force the download on the Genie receiver. Either way, if you are a Directv technician, this shows that a new product from dirextv should not be bought for at least 6 months after release date if at all. All technicians are not familiar with the product and yet still come up with ways to fix it.

I am skeptical that my problem is fixed but I will reply to this thread if the screen goes white again.
Okay. So if this isn't true why did I just have the third technician call in less than two weeks today. Again did nothing but replace the client receiver. Also, to the dirextv installer on this thead, if this isn't true then why did the technician that came today say that more than a few people are having this issue. Also, he called in and was told to force the download on the Genie receiver. Either way, if you are a Directv technician, this shows that a new product from dirextv should not be bought for at least 6 months after release date if at all. All technicians are not familiar with the product and yet still come up with ways to fix it.

I am skeptical that my problem is fixed but I will reply to this thread if the screen goes white again.

14 of 50 (96 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 3, 2012 7:22:39 AM
(0)
Tutor

So I guess i should just wait for technician then? i  just want my new Client to work.. now I have to wait until tuesday and miss work also just to be here, so they can fix it.  

So I guess i should just wait for technician then? i  just want my new Client to work.. now I have to wait until tuesday and miss work also just to be here, so they can fix it.  

15 of 50 (96 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 3, 2012 7:34:01 AM
(0)
Tutor

The installers don't know how to fix this problem ether

16 of 50 (96 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 3, 2012 9:27:22 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

as on any job, there are good apples and bad ones.  a properly installed system, like mine, works flawlessly.  if you post the details about your install we can take a look and see if your system was install for full efficiency.

@eaajah, if you please start a new thread and post the details about your system, we might be able to help.  it is very difficult to address multiple poster on a thread.  it gets very confusing.

as on any job, there are good apples and bad ones.  a properly installed system, like mine, works flawlessly.  if you post the details about your install we can take a look and see if your system was install for full efficiency.

@eaajah, if you please start a new thread and post the details about your system, we might be able to help.  it is very difficult to address multiple poster on a thread.  it gets very confusing.

17 of 50 (96 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 3, 2012 11:04:29 AM
(0)
Tutor

ok I started new thread with info

18 of 50 (96 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 3, 2012 11:23:12 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Thanks!

Thanks!

19 of 50 (96 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 17, 2012 9:48:30 PM
(0)
Contributor

I'm having this same problem.

I'm having this same problem.

20 of 50 (96 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 17, 2012 10:18:54 PM
(0)
Master

The 0x628 software is being sent out now to fix the gray/white screen.

21 of 50 (96 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 18, 2012 5:22:18 AM
(0)
Mentor
Quote: Originally Posted by shannon1 

Yet nobody that actually owns a HR34 has 0x628 running on their HR34 receiver yet... Which tells me that the next release is still under development for the HR34.

Quote: Originally Posted by shannon1 

Yet nobody that actually owns a HR34 has 0x628 running on their HR34 receiver yet... Which tells me that the next release is still under development for the HR34.

22 of 50 (96 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 18, 2012 5:31:54 AM
(0)
Tutor

I am still have the Grey screen problem , I have to reset the main receiver to get it to work right

I am still have the Grey screen problem , I have to reset the main receiver to get it to work right

23 of 50 (96 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 18, 2012 5:36:46 AM
(0)
Tutor

how do you get 0x628 software update

24 of 50 (96 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 18, 2012 5:47:56 AM
(0)
Mentor

There is nothing we can do except wait for DirecTV to finish writing the code to put into the next release.  At that point, they'll push it out to our devices on their timeline.

I feel your pain, fritoman.  I've been waiting for over two weeks now for some kind of resolution on this problem.

There is nothing we can do except wait for DirecTV to finish writing the code to put into the next release.  At that point, they'll push it out to our devices on their timeline.

I feel your pain, fritoman.  I've been waiting for over two weeks now for some kind of resolution on this problem.

25 of 50 (96 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 18, 2012 5:55:28 AM
(0)
Tutor

Other than some of the small problem, I do love this system , i just wish they worked out all the bugs before they released it

Other than some of the small problem, I do love this system , i just wish they worked out all the bugs before they released it

26 of 50 (96 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 18, 2012 6:50:40 AM
(0)
Mentor

Yes, when the Genie system is working, it really is great!  But having to reset the system daily is really inconvenient.  Many times, I don't want to reboot the HR34 because I'm in the middle of a recording (or a block of recordings) that I don't want to truncate.  But until I do, I'm left with only one working TV in the house...

Yes, when the Genie system is working, it really is great!  But having to reset the system daily is really inconvenient.  Many times, I don't want to reboot the HR34 because I'm in the middle of a recording (or a block of recordings) that I don't want to truncate.  But until I do, I'm left with only one working TV in the house...

27 of 50 (96 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 18, 2012 7:03:03 AM
(0)
Tutor

That bad only having 1 TV working I would be too

That bad only having 1 TV working I would be too

28 of 50 (96 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 6, 2012 1:40:57 PM
(0)
Contributor
I am an installer and we were taught that when hooking the genie system up, it's best to leave the clients unplugged. Hook up the HR34 and do a software download, and once the HR34 is completely set up and watching live tv, hook up the clients. This apparently fixes the grey screen issue. I have done multiple installs like this and have not heard about any problems. Can't guarantee it works but its worth a shot.
I am an installer and we were taught that when hooking the genie system up, it's best to leave the clients unplugged. Hook up the HR34 and do a software download, and once the HR34 is completely set up and watching live tv, hook up the clients. This apparently fixes the grey screen issue. I have done multiple installs like this and have not heard about any problems. Can't guarantee it works but its worth a shot.

29 of 50 (96 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 6, 2012 3:59:12 PM
(0)
Tutor

Just had the Genie system installed 2 weeks ago and have the same problem.  The person I spoke with last week led me to believe this was a new problem and would quickly be resolved.  Very disappointed to see from this forum that this has been going on for months.  So frustrating to have to reset the system anytime you want to watch tv in one of the other rooms, and of course, if it's recording you cant or you will lose stuff  I have to reset my main unit daily.  This is completely unacceptable.

Just had the Genie system installed 2 weeks ago and have the same problem.  The person I spoke with last week led me to believe this was a new problem and would quickly be resolved.  Very disappointed to see from this forum that this has been going on for months.  So frustrating to have to reset the system anytime you want to watch tv in one of the other rooms, and of course, if it's recording you cant or you will lose stuff  I have to reset my main unit daily.  This is completely unacceptable.

30 of 50 (96 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments