Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Forum

Posted Sep 9, 2013
1:07:36 AM
Problems with Caller ID

Receive caller ID when call comes in then approx. every 30 sec the entire time we are on the call  unavailable call comes on the tv screen and we have to hit ok to keep clearing it, what do we do?

Receive caller ID when call comes in then approx. every 30 sec the entire time we are on the call  unavailable call comes on the tv screen and we have to hit ok to keep clearing it, what do we do?

Problems with Caller ID

25 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(25)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 9, 2013 3:04:06 AM
(0)
Expert

A red button (inside card door) reset may clear the problem, but caller ID is a problematic feature, particularly with any phone system other than the old fashioned analog.

A red button (inside card door) reset may clear the problem, but caller ID is a problematic feature, particularly with any phone system other than the old fashioned analog.

Re: Problems with Caller ID

2 of 26 (566 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 9, 2013 10:33:39 AM
(0)
Tutor

I have the Geni, where is the door?

Frenchell Jones

>

I have the Geni, where is the door?

Frenchell Jones

>

3 of 26 (566 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 9, 2013 10:39:50 AM
(0)
Expert

It's on the right front face of the Genie.  Push near the top edge and the door will pop open, the red button is inside.  Leave the card as is.

It's on the right front face of the Genie.  Push near the top edge and the door will pop open, the red button is inside.  Leave the card as is.

4 of 26 (566 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2013 10:23:27 AM
(0)
Contributor

I am having the same issue -- just had the Genie installed a few days back, works flawlessly except for the caller id issue with "unknown caller" popping up every 30 seconds after a call comes in.

It recognizes the original call but then it goes "unknown caller" crazy during the call -- it also fill ups the caller ID log and stops future caller id's from popping up until I clear the log.

Will try the red button reset tonight to see if it works.....

Caller ID has always been a problem with my DIRECTV Receivers -- 14 year subscriber and counting but they can't seem to nail down the caller ID feature for some reason...

I am having the same issue -- just had the Genie installed a few days back, works flawlessly except for the caller id issue with "unknown caller" popping up every 30 seconds after a call comes in.

It recognizes the original call but then it goes "unknown caller" crazy during the call -- it also fill ups the caller ID log and stops future caller id's from popping up until I clear the log.

Will try the red button reset tonight to see if it works.....

Caller ID has always been a problem with my DIRECTV Receivers -- 14 year subscriber and counting but they can't seem to nail down the caller ID feature for some reason...

5 of 26 (566 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2013 11:10:24 AM
(0)
Employee

with some many type of phone systems, DirecTV apparently gave up and for good reason probably since land lines are decreasing by the tons

with some many type of phone systems, DirecTV apparently gave up and for good reason probably since land lines are decreasing by the tons

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

6 of 26 (566 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2013 11:31:35 AM
(0)
Tutor

The reset button did not work don't know what to try next. Really getting frustrated with it.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note™, an AT&T LTE smartphone

The reset button did not work don't know what to try next. Really getting frustrated with it.

7 of 26 (566 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2013 3:01:03 PM
(0)
Expert

What type of phone service do you have?  Some benefit from having one or even two filters on the line connected to the Directv box.

What type of phone service do you have?  Some benefit from having one or even two filters on the line connected to the Directv box.

8 of 26 (566 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2013 5:29:47 PM
(0)
Tutor

At&t

At&t

9 of 26 (566 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 24, 2013 6:59:53 AM
(0)
Contributor

How to clear  the Caller ID log on the Genie: Menu-Extras-Caller ID-Select-Select-Select-Select (repeat Select until all calls in log are gone).

How to clear  the Caller ID log on the Genie: Menu-Extras-Caller ID-Select-Select-Select-Select (repeat Select until all calls in log are gone).

10 of 26 (566 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 24, 2013 7:06:10 AM
(0)
Contributor

Turn notifications off. Menu-Extras-Caller ID-Notifications-Select-Select-Off

Turn notifications off. Menu-Extras-Caller ID-Notifications-Select-Select-Off

11 of 26 (566 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 5, 2014 8:49:59 AM
(0)
Teacher

This issue is not resolved.  DirectTV on the telephone gives you a lot of double-speak about "call back in 30 days, it should be resolved".

This issue is not resolved.  DirectTV on the telephone gives you a lot of double-speak about "call back in 30 days, it should be resolved".

12 of 26 (566 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 5, 2014 9:32:41 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Caller ID has always been a rather flaky feature on DirecTV's Receivers/DVRs.  Too many different types of phone systems.  And I don't it's a high priority feature for them.   Don't get your hopes up for any sort of "fix".

Caller ID has always been a rather flaky feature on DirecTV's Receivers/DVRs.  Too many different types of phone systems.  And I don't it's a high priority feature for them.   Don't get your hopes up for any sort of "fix".

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

13 of 26 (566 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 24, 2014 1:03:52 PM
(0)
Teacher

About a year ago I added a H25 HiDef receiver. a few days later I noticed caller id didn't work.  I do have the maintenance support.  When call to DTV support couldn't get it working and they tried to say they couldn't replace it just for caller id I pointed out that they list caller id as a feature on their website on a chart that checks all their units that (are supposed to) support it and that I wanted it fixed.  They installed a new unit.  I just checked today (7/24/14) and the website still shows that feature.

About a year ago I added a H25 HiDef receiver. a few days later I noticed caller id didn't work.  I do have the maintenance support.  When call to DTV support couldn't get it working and they tried to say they couldn't replace it just for caller id I pointed out that they list caller id as a feature on their website on a chart that checks all their units that (are supposed to) support it and that I wanted it fixed.  They installed a new unit.  I just checked today (7/24/14) and the website still shows that feature.

14 of 26 (566 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 24, 2014 4:54:53 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Yes, it's a "feature".  But, like I said, it's a flaky feature.  I'm surprised they replaced your Receiver because of it.  Does the new Receivier's Caller ID work properly?  Was it also an H25 Receiver?

Yes, it's a "feature".  But, like I said, it's a flaky feature.  I'm surprised they replaced your Receiver because of it.  Does the new Receivier's Caller ID work properly?  Was it also an H25 Receiver?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

15 of 26 (566 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 25, 2014 2:34:32 PM
(0)
Teacher

Yes the new receiver is a H25. I have one H25, two HR24-200's, one active and one retired HR20-700 all of which are or have been used with caller id. After the original H25 was swapped out the caller id worked fine. I will say though, recently caller id has become very flakey on all receivers currently in use and on the phones we have with caller id.. some times calls come in without triggering caller id display at all, other times caller id kicks off but without any identification information available (these wind up without making call log entries). Since this is happening on caller id phones as well as all the DTV receivers I am suspecting likely phone company (ATT) issues rather than DTV.

Larry H. Baumann

LHBaumann@AOL.com

Yes the new receiver is a H25. I have one H25, two HR24-200's, one active and one retired HR20-700 all of which are or have been used with caller id. After the original H25 was swapped out the caller id worked fine. I will say though, recently caller id has become very flakey on all receivers currently in use and on the phones we have with caller id.. some times calls come in without triggering caller id display at all, other times caller id kicks off but without any identification information available (these wind up without making call log entries). Since this is happening on caller id phones as well as all the DTV receivers I am suspecting likely phone company (ATT) issues rather than DTV.

Larry H. Baumann

LHBaumann@AOL.com

16 of 26 (566 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 25, 2014 2:40:45 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

AAgreed .  Sounds like they changed something with your caller ID service.

AAgreed .  Sounds like they changed something with your caller ID service.

17 of 26 (566 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 10, 2015 11:38:19 AM
(0)
Tutor

I was frustrated when I got the a new HD DVR and the Caller ID I had come to love no longer worked. The caller ID pop up would show on screen, but the ID would say phone number unavailable.

After nearly a year of troubleshooting I finally solved my issue. What I finally realized is that the DNS address my DVR box was using was the same DNS address that my smart TV was using, this will happen during auto configuration with DirecTv. Since my TV has it own wireless connection and my DVR has its own wireless connection, the DNS address (being the same) was creating a conflict.

To get caller ID to work, I went into the menu on my TV (NOT the menu for the DVR) on my Smart TV and changed the DNS address. The DNS address on the TV is not really needed so I changed it to 8.8.8.8. Once the DNS conflict was gone the Caller ID worked flawlessly.

I hope this will help others who love their caller id!!

I was frustrated when I got the a new HD DVR and the Caller ID I had come to love no longer worked. The caller ID pop up would show on screen, but the ID would say phone number unavailable.

After nearly a year of troubleshooting I finally solved my issue. What I finally realized is that the DNS address my DVR box was using was the same DNS address that my smart TV was using, this will happen during auto configuration with DirecTv. Since my TV has it own wireless connection and my DVR has its own wireless connection, the DNS address (being the same) was creating a conflict.

To get caller ID to work, I went into the menu on my TV (NOT the menu for the DVR) on my Smart TV and changed the DNS address. The DNS address on the TV is not really needed so I changed it to 8.8.8.8. Once the DNS conflict was gone the Caller ID worked flawlessly.

I hope this will help others who love their caller id!!

18 of 26 (566 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 10, 2015 1:13:11 PM
(0)
Scholar

Not to be a smart a** but a year? Or you could have disabled the feature on DTV and just put your cordless phone near you.

Didn't realize anyone used land lines anymore.

Not to be a smart a** but a year? Or you could have disabled the feature on DTV and just put your cordless phone near you.

Didn't realize anyone used land lines anymore.

19 of 26 (566 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 10, 2015 2:49:12 PM
(0)
Employee

DNS has nothing to do with caller ID.  Usually the DNS points to your router, or you can have other DNS services such as Open DNS or Google DNS which is the one you are using.

DNS has nothing to do with caller ID.  Usually the DNS points to your router, or you can have other DNS services such as Open DNS or Google DNS which is the one you are using.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

20 of 26 (566 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 10, 2015 5:06:47 PM
(0)
Tutor

Whatever. This fixed it and I can reproduce the problem by setting the DNS back to the same ip address. So explain that. I can fix it and make it fail at will by setting the DNS ip addresses to the same IP.

Whatever. This fixed it and I can reproduce the problem by setting the DNS back to the same ip address. So explain that. I can fix it and make it fail at will by setting the DNS ip addresses to the same IP.

21 of 26 (566 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 10, 2015 5:13:59 PM
(0)
Tutor

I've put up with it for a year. My land line is company paid where i live in a rural area where I have to use a land line for DSL internet. Don't blame me

As a mobile apps software developer for a fortune 500 I own a smart phone for every available OS, including windows phone.

I've put up with it for a year. My land line is company paid where i live in a rural area where I have to use a land line for DSL internet. Don't blame me

As a mobile apps software developer for a fortune 500 I own a smart phone for every available OS, including windows phone.

22 of 26 (566 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 10, 2015 5:18:11 PM
(0)
Tutor

As a software engineer you need to have an Imagination and think outside the box. In technology there are times when things that shouldn't impact each other just do!

Kurt

As a software engineer you need to have an Imagination and think outside the box. In technology there are times when things that shouldn't impact each other just do!

Kurt

23 of 26 (566 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 10, 2015 6:49:08 PM
(0)
Employee

Your CID and NIC are two separate entities. One not affecting another one. Perhaps this should help

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/question409.htm

Your CID and NIC are two separate entities. One not affecting another one. Perhaps this should help

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/question409.htm

24 of 26 (566 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 31, 2015 9:41:31 AM
(0)
Contributor

Hi Kurtrad.  I recently upgraded to wireless Genie and then noticed caller ID said unavailable when receiving calls instead of the phone number.  I went on Directv website and saw that there was NO help there, then I checked the forums and voila!  I found your response to a forum member about changing the tv DNS to 8.8.8.8.  It worked for me and I thank you so much for being so knowlegable and helpful to others during a stressful situation.

Thanks again,

fishjc

P.S.  I just now registered with the forum so that I could give you a quick reply and thank you.  Have a nice day.  I will now.

Hi Kurtrad.  I recently upgraded to wireless Genie and then noticed caller ID said unavailable when receiving calls instead of the phone number.  I went on Directv website and saw that there was NO help there, then I checked the forums and voila!  I found your response to a forum member about changing the tv DNS to 8.8.8.8.  It worked for me and I thank you so much for being so knowlegable and helpful to others during a stressful situation.

Thanks again,

fishjc

P.S.  I just now registered with the forum so that I could give you a quick reply and thank you.  Have a nice day.  I will now.

25 of 26 (566 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 22, 2015 7:29:12 AM
(0)
Teacher

Wow, just got a email from DirecTV... it's fixed.

Thank you for being a loyal DIRECTV customer. We are pleased to inform you that we have resolved the issue (reference number 1003150100286) that you reported on 10/03/2015.

We apologize again for any inconvenience and appreciate the opportunity to serve you.

Sincerely,

DIRECTV

Wow, just got a email from DirecTV... it's fixed.

Thank you for being a loyal DIRECTV customer. We are pleased to inform you that we have resolved the issue (reference number 1003150100286) that you reported on 10/03/2015.

We apologize again for any inconvenience and appreciate the opportunity to serve you.

Sincerely,

DIRECTV

26 of 26 (566 Views)