Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Forum

Posted Dec 7, 2013
7:34:25 AM
View profile
Overheating satellite box

My satellite box shows to be overheating every time I turn it on. It has never done this before. Can someone please explain?

My satellite box shows to be overheating every time I turn it on. It has never done this before. Can someone please explain?

Overheating satellite box

11 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(11)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 7, 2013 8:15:25 AM
(0)
Administrator

Your cooling may have failed.you may have to much stuff around the reciever blocking the vents .it may just be a, piece of junk and need replaced

Your cooling may have failed.you may have to much stuff around the reciever blocking the vents .it may just be a, piece of junk and need replaced

Re: Overheating satellite box

2 of 12 (285 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 7, 2013 9:13:21 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

What model DVR/Receiver?

In the System Information display (press and hold the remote's INFO button for several seconds), you should be able to see the internal temperature. What does it say?

What model DVR/Receiver?

In the System Information display (press and hold the remote's INFO button for several seconds), you should be able to see the internal temperature. What does it say?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 12 (285 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 7, 2013 9:21:41 AM
(0)
Contributor

Model HR20/100, internal temp shows 126 F

Sent from my iPhone

Model HR20/100, internal temp shows 126 F

Sent from my iPhone

4 of 12 (285 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 7, 2013 9:26:10 AM
(0)
Administrator

The hr20 is known for overheating time for a servicecall and replacenent

The hr20 is known for overheating time for a servicecall and replacenent

5 of 12 (285 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 7, 2013 10:39:12 AM
(0)
Administrator

Hi kvoldham

First make sure that your receiver is in a well ventilated area. Not ontop of your tv, or your tv sitting directly ontop of it. Keep your receiver well dusted, and make sure there is no debris in the ventilation fan. In order for a replacement you'll have to verify that the receiver is in a well ventilated area, and verify that this is a reoccuring issue, and it interrupts your live video continuously.

Hope this helps!

Hi kvoldham

First make sure that your receiver is in a well ventilated area. Not ontop of your tv, or your tv sitting directly ontop of it. Keep your receiver well dusted, and make sure there is no debris in the ventilation fan. In order for a replacement you'll have to verify that the receiver is in a well ventilated area, and verify that this is a reoccuring issue, and it interrupts your live video continuously.

Hope this helps!

6 of 12 (285 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 7, 2013 3:28:27 PM
(0)
Employee

what model of receiver do you have. look for the model number inside the access card door.. 

Perhaps the fan died...

Call DirecTV to request a replacement Receiver/DVR.  It's free if you have their Equipment Protection Plan, or within 90-days of installation.  Otherwise ~$20 for shipping.  Or ~$50 to have a tech come replace it for you.

what model of receiver do you have. look for the model number inside the access card door.. 

Perhaps the fan died...

Call DirecTV to request a replacement Receiver/DVR.  It's free if you have their Equipment Protection Plan, or within 90-days of installation.  Otherwise ~$20 for shipping.  Or ~$50 to have a tech come replace it for you.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

7 of 12 (285 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 8, 2013 6:16:38 AM
(0)
Guru

The H20s had heating problems, the HR20s haven't.

The H20s had heating problems, the HR20s haven't.

8 of 12 (285 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 8, 2013 6:18:36 AM
(0)
Employee

Correct, the H20-600 to be precise.  While the HR20s do run warmer than newer models, they are not known to overheat.

Correct, the H20-600 to be precise.  While the HR20s do run warmer than newer models, they are not known to overheat.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

9 of 12 (285 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 8, 2013 5:49:24 PM
(0)
Administrator

They are if the fan is bad or the vents are blocked

They are if the fan is bad or the vents are blocked

10 of 12 (285 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 8, 2013 6:36:18 PM
(0)
Employee

but of course!  same way a car will not roll if it has no wheels... Really????

but of course!  same way a car will not roll if it has no wheels... Really????

11 of 12 (285 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 9, 2013 3:59:36 PM
(0)
Guru

Im confused what does a car with no wheels have to do with an overheating

Reciever.This is not very helpful my

Reciever is overheating too.

Im confused what does a car with no wheels have to do with an overheating