Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Community

Posted Aug 23, 2013
9:50:03 AM
Only one tuner works on DVR

After many hours of trouble shooting and also trying a new receiver Directv has told me I will have to pay to have a tech come out and check my dish. I have paid Directv thousands of dollars over the last 13 years as a customer and have never had a tech come out since the initial installation. If I were to move they would send someone for free to reset my equipment.

I think it is time to move to Dish Network,my contract is up soon.

After many hours of trouble shooting and also trying a new receiver Directv has told me I will have to pay to have a tech come out and check my dish. I have paid Directv thousands of dollars over the last 13 years as a customer and have never had a tech come out since the initial installation. If I were to move they would send someone for free to reset my equipment.

I think it is time to move to Dish Network,my contract is up soon.

Only one tuner works on DVR

18 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(18)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2013 10:54:05 AM
(0)
Mentor

Do you have a cable in sat in 1 and 2?

Do you have a cable in sat in 1 and 2?

Re: Only one tuner works on DVR

2 of 19 (32 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2013 11:22:35 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

what model of receiver do you have. look for the model number inside the access card door.. 

it would be a good idea to have  a tech come to your house to inspect your system since it has ben 13 years since installation

what model of receiver do you have. look for the model number inside the access card door.. 

it would be a good idea to have  a tech come to your house to inspect your system since it has ben 13 years since installation

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 19 (32 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2013 11:31:52 AM
(0)
Tutor

I am incorrect,we had them come out when it was upgraded to HD DVR approximately 4 years ago model hr22

I am incorrect,we had them come out when it was upgraded to HD DVR approximately 4 years ago model hr22

4 of 19 (32 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2013 11:35:08 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

try swapping the cables behind the DVR with and without BBCs,  if the problem stays with the tuner the you have a bad receiver.  However if the problem moves to the other tuner then you have a bad cable connector.  let us what you find

try swapping the cables behind the DVR with and without BBCs,  if the problem stays with the tuner the you have a bad receiver.  However if the problem moves to the other tuner then you have a bad cable connector.  let us what you find

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 19 (32 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2013 11:46:25 AM
(0)
Tutor

passed that step long ago,replaced all cables yesterday and finnaly tried dfferent combinations of cable connections to dish. Their are 4 available cables on dish. With most of the combinations I have tried when tuner 2 is hooked up it causes errors with tuner 1 , so I finally unplugged tuner 2 from the dish.

When problem started in the first place the receiver was in a continuous boot loop, shut down reboot shut down reboot etc...

The direct tv tech had me switch cables from tuner 1 to tuner 2 and this enabled operation with one tuner. They said they needed to send a tech out to check the dish, they were going to charge me,. like I said if I was moving they would go through an entire reinstall free to keep me as a customer but as is they want to charge me after 14 years service .

What I was hoping for now was a way I could fix it for my last 2 months or so of contract, after the contract is over they are losing me as a customer.

passed that step long ago,replaced all cables yesterday and finnaly tried dfferent combinations of cable connections to dish. Their are 4 available cables on dish. With most of the combinations I have tried when tuner 2 is hooked up it causes errors with tuner 1 , so I finally unplugged tuner 2 from the dish.

When problem started in the first place the receiver was in a continuous boot loop, shut down reboot shut down reboot etc...

The direct tv tech had me switch cables from tuner 1 to tuner 2 and this enabled operation with one tuner. They said they needed to send a tech out to check the dish, they were going to charge me,. like I said if I was moving they would go through an entire reinstall free to keep me as a customer but as is they want to charge me after 14 years service .

What I was hoping for now was a way I could fix it for my last 2 months or so of contract, after the contract is over they are losing me as a customer.

6 of 19 (32 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2013 11:47:48 AM
(0)
Expert

If you think about the fact that your equipment ran for 13 years without any problems, then a service call one time seems to me to indicate great reliability.  Directv charges $50 for a service call and that includes all parts and labor to put your system into top notch shape.  Everybody gets treated the same.  Note that this is a user to user self help forum designed to assist each other with technical issues.

If you think about the fact that your equipment ran for 13 years without any problems, then a service call one time seems to me to indicate great reliability.  Directv charges $50 for a service call and that includes all parts and labor to put your system into top notch shape.  Everybody gets treated the same.  Note that this is a user to user self help forum designed to assist each other with technical issues.

7 of 19 (32 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2013 11:49:12 AM
(0)
Tutor

Reread my posts.

Reread my posts.

8 of 19 (32 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2013 11:53:23 AM
(0)
Tutor

They will reinstall you for free if you move, everyone is not treated the same. They reinstall to keep customers. If they repaired my system they would keep one. They are going to lose a 14 year customer over this, there is no question as to that, I'll sign up with dish.

They will reinstall you for free if you move, everyone is not treated the same. They reinstall to keep customers. If they repaired my system they would keep one. They are going to lose a 14 year customer over this, there is no question as to that, I'll sign up with dish.

9 of 19 (32 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2013 12:06:22 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Make sure the grass is actually greener on the other side.

Make sure the grass is actually greener on the other side.

10 of 19 (32 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2013 12:16:55 PM
(0)
Professor

The part you need costs around $40 and you will need to climb a ladder to reach the dish.

The part you need costs around $40 and you will need to climb a ladder to reach the dish.

11 of 19 (32 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2013 1:03:10 PM
(0)
Tutor

are you talking about an lbn

are you talking about an lbn

12 of 19 (32 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2013 1:11:05 PM
(0)
Professor

Yes that is the most likely part or as posted before a coax or connector is corroded.

Yes that is the most likely part or as posted before a coax or connector is corroded.

13 of 19 (32 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2013 1:21:22 PM
(0)
Tutor

I replaced all the coax and connectors Amazon has the LBN's, I just checked with customer service and I no longer have a contract so my choice is reset-up free with lower monthly bill with Dish or pay for parts and fix myself..

I replaced all the coax and connectors Amazon has the LBN's, I just checked with customer service and I no longer have a contract so my choice is reset-up free with lower monthly bill with Dish or pay for parts and fix myself..

14 of 19 (32 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2013 1:51:51 PM
(0)
Professor

The dish and all parts except the for the receivers became yours after the install and 13 years with no problems with them is pretty good.

You can try calling DTV back and ask for retention, they may be able to send a tech to fix it.

The dish and all parts except the for the receivers became yours after the install and 13 years with no problems with them is pretty good.

You can try calling DTV back and ask for retention, they may be able to send a tech to fix it.

15 of 19 (32 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2013 4:00:45 PM
(0)
Tutor

I called and requested disconnect on Sunday, i hope they saved money denying me the full use of my account for the last 3 months, when it gets to the point when you are supposed to get out on a ladder and fix their equipment it is time to go somewhere else. Of course if you move they will jump through hoops to keep you or are giving all kinds of deals to new customers but there is little there for a 14 year customer.

I called and requested disconnect on Sunday, i hope they saved money denying me the full use of my account for the last 3 months, when it gets to the point when you are supposed to get out on a ladder and fix their equipment it is time to go somewhere else. Of course if you move they will jump through hoops to keep you or are giving all kinds of deals to new customers but there is little there for a 14 year customer.

16 of 19 (32 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2013 4:16:45 PM
(0)
Professor

It is your dish as I said before, good luck with your next provider.

It is your dish as I said before, good luck with your next provider.

17 of 19 (32 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 24, 2013 8:07:01 AM
(0)
Expert

One of my neighbors has been connected to the municipal water system for years.  He recently had a leak and it cost him a lot more than $50 to have it fixed.  Using this reasoning the water company should have fixed it for free.

One of my neighbors has been connected to the municipal water system for years.  He recently had a leak and it cost him a lot more than $50 to have it fixed.  Using this reasoning the water company should have fixed it for free.

18 of 19 (32 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 24, 2013 10:44:26 AM
(0)
Mentor

If you add the Protection Plan on at the same time you setup the service call for the issue, you get the service call free. The Protection Plan is $7.99/month after the first 30 days. This covers your boxes, remotes, cabling, and satellite, if anything happens replacements as well as service calls are free. It now covers accidental damage, so if you cut a wire, drop your remote, etc, its now covered. Also, you get a free equipment upgrade every 2yrs, and VIP installation. Only thing is, if you need to move the dish for reasons like roofers, or cosmetic reasons, that's not covered.

If you add the Protection Plan on at the same time you setup the service call for the issue, you get the service call free. The Protection Plan is $7.99/month after the first 30 days. This covers your boxes, remotes, cabling, and satellite, if anything happens replacements as well as service calls are free. It now covers accidental damage, so if you cut a wire, drop your remote, etc, its now covered. Also, you get a free equipment upgrade every 2yrs, and VIP installation. Only thing is, if you need to move the dish for reasons like roofers, or cosmetic reasons, that's not covered.

19 of 19 (32 Views)