Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Community

Posted Jul 10, 2013
10:07:03 AM
View profile
No satellite signal (771)

My receiver has been searching for satellite signal for days, I have reset it a few times from the box and I have also refreshed it through the website. I have no idea what else to do. I refuse to call customer service on my day off from being a call center employee for another company, please help!

My receiver has been searching for satellite signal for days, I have reset it a few times from the box and I have also refreshed it through the website. I have no idea what else to do. I refuse to call customer service on my day off from being a call center employee for another company, please help!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Jul 10, 2013 11:07:28 AM
(0)
Mentor

what was the result on the turner?

If it says ''ok'' then check that all the cables are in good condicion and tight and if that does not work then call dtv for a service call.

If you get ''OK. Signal under 60'' Then do the same thing as in the first opinion.

If you get ''Failed on one or more tuner(s).'' then call Dtv to have the receiver replaced due to defective receiver.

Hope this helps.

Accepted Solution

No satellite signal (771)

27 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(27)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 10, 2013 10:33:02 AM
(0)
Mentor

hey, What type of box do you have....can you please provide the receiver model located behind the flip down door on the front right button side of the receiver....and how many receivers you have and how many are affected?

hey, What type of box do you have....can you please provide the receiver model located behind the flip down door on the front right button side of the receiver....and how many receivers you have and how many are affected?

Re: No satellite signal (771)

2 of 28 (4,269 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 10, 2013 10:41:49 AM
(0)
Tutor

D12MP-500

Only 1 box

D12MP-500

Only 1 box

3 of 28 (4,269 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 10, 2013 10:48:07 AM
(0)
Mentor

ok well try this

• Run System Test: Press and hold Info on the remote. 
  • Depending on the receiver model, select: 
    1. "System Info" and then "System Test" 
    2. Run the system test.  

Press Select  once.   Be careful not to press Select twice quickly in a row or the test may hang there or cancel out.  

and tell me what it shows.

ok well try this

• Run System Test: Press and hold Info on the remote. 
  • Depending on the receiver model, select: 
    1. "System Info" and then "System Test" 
    2. Run the system test.  

Press Select  once.   Be careful not to press Select twice quickly in a row or the test may hang there or cancel out.  

and tell me what it shows.

4 of 28 (4,269 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 10, 2013 11:00:17 AM
(0)
Tutor

Satellite dish alignment problem

Which makes no sense......

Satellite dish alignment problem

Which makes no sense......

5 of 28 (4,269 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Jul 10, 2013 11:07:28 AM
(0)
Mentor

If it says ''ok'' then check that all the cables are in good condicion and tight and if that does not work then call dtv for a service call.

If you get ''OK. Signal under 60'' Then do the same thing as in the first opinion.

If you get ''Failed on one or more tuner(s).'' then call Dtv to have the receiver replaced due to defective receiver.

Hope this helps.

Hope this helps.

6 of 28 (4,269 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 10, 2013 1:18:52 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Why would it not make sense.?  is the D12 your only receiver?

Why would it not make sense.?  is the D12 your only receiver?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

7 of 28 (4,269 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 10, 2013 1:28:46 PM
(0)
Expert

It makes perfect sense.  The receiver is searching because the dish is out of alignment.

It makes perfect sense.  The receiver is searching because the dish is out of alignment.

8 of 28 (4,269 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 10, 2013 1:35:02 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

100% agree!!!

100% agree!!!

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

9 of 28 (4,269 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 10, 2013 1:55:08 PM
(0)
Tutor

There is nothing blocking the dish, and the dish hasn't moved. Makes no sense to me because it has worked for years in the same spot with no issues and nothing blocking it.

There is nothing blocking the dish, and the dish hasn't moved. Makes no sense to me because it has worked for years in the same spot with no issues and nothing blocking it.

10 of 28 (4,269 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 10, 2013 2:01:51 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thank you dragon83, it worked!

Thank you dragon83, it worked!

11 of 28 (4,269 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 6, 2013 1:25:42 PM
(0)
Teacher

I'm having the same issues - what was the solution to this did you have to wait on a technician?

I'm having the same issues - what was the solution to this did you have to wait on a technician?

12 of 28 (4,269 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2013 4:29:38 AM
(0)
Expert

The original poster in this thread had a misaligned dish and was reluctant to schedule a tech to correct the issue.  You'd be well served to begin  your own fresh thread and describe your problem in detail.

The original poster in this thread had a misaligned dish and was reluctant to schedule a tech to correct the issue.  You'd be well served to begin  your own fresh thread and describe your problem in detail.

13 of 28 (4,269 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2013 4:35:18 AM
(0)
Teacher

double check switch settings in satellite setup. verify good signal on all sats

double check switch settings in satellite setup. verify good signal on all sats

14 of 28 (4,269 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 17, 2013 3:38:58 PM
(0)
Teacher

i get the same 771,   but it comes and goes.  i check the signal level,  sometimes transponder 6 tuner 3 goes to 0.  any suggested?

i get the same 771,   but it comes and goes.  i check the signal level,  sometimes transponder 6 tuner 3 goes to 0.  any suggested?

15 of 28 (4,269 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 17, 2013 5:03:39 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Best to start your own new thread.  Post back your signal readings using the template below.  And let us know what model(s) Receivers/DVRs you have, and what type of satellite dish.

Please post back with your signal readings for each satellite's transponders (and both tuners if applicable).  You'll find these readings under "Menu" -> "Setup" -> "System Setup" -> Satellite -> "View Signal Strength".  Note the "+" and "-" symbols next to the "Satellite" and "Tuner" entries where you can toggle the readings between the various satellites and both DVR tuners.

Fill in your readings for each satellite and tuner using these examples.  A properly aligned dish will show 80-90s on most of the relevant transponders (although some will be low or zero):

Satellite transponders (32 total at 101º)

[Most of your standard definition channels are beamed from 101ºW]

1-8    x   x   x   x   x   x   x   x

9-16   x   x   x   x   x   x   x   x

17-24  x   x   x   x   x   x   x   x

25-32  x   x   x   x   x   x   x   x

Satellite transponders (3 total at 110º)

[Not present with Slimline3 dish. No channels are currently beamed from this satellite]

1-8    NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  x

9-16   NA  x   NA  x   NA  NA  NA  NA

Satellite transponders (11 total at 119º)

[Not present with Slimline 3 dish. Local SD channels for some cities, Spanish package]

17-24  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  x   x   x

Satellite transponders (16 total at 99º(s)) [or 99º(b)]

[Local HD channels for some cities]

1-8    x   x   x   x   x   x   NA  NA

9-16   NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  x   x

[Note: these can be very slow to appear]

Satellite transponders (14 total at 99º(c)) [or 99º(a)]

[National HD channels]

9-16   x   x   x   x   x   x   NA  NA

[Note, these can be very slow to appear]

Satellite transponders (16 total at 103º(s)) [or 103º(a)]

Satellite transponders (16 total at 103º(ca))

[National HD channels beamed from D12 satellite]

1-8    NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA

Satellite transponders (14 total at 103º(cb)) [or 103º(b)]

[National HD channels beamed from D10 satellite]

17-24  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA

Satellite transponders (9 total at SWM)

[You'll only see this if you have a Single Wire Multiswitch (SWM) dish]

9-16   x   NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA

Best to start your own new thread.  Post back your signal readings using the template below.  And let us know what model(s) Receivers/DVRs you have, and what type of satellite dish.

Please post back with your signal readings for each satellite's transponders (and both tuners if applicable).  You'll find these readings under "Menu" -> "Setup" -> "System Setup" -> Satellite -> "View Signal Strength".  Note the "+" and "-" symbols next to the "Satellite" and "Tuner" entries where you can toggle the readings between the various satellites and both DVR tuners.

Fill in your readings for each satellite and tuner using these examples.  A properly aligned dish will show 80-90s on most of the relevant transponders (although some will be low or zero):

Satellite transponders (32 total at 101º)

[Most of your standard definition channels are beamed from 101ºW]

Satellite transponders (3 total at 110º)

[Not present with Slimline3 dish. No channels are currently beamed from this satellite]

1-8    NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  x

9-16   NA  x   NA  x   NA  NA  NA  NA

Satellite transponders (11 total at 119º)

[Not present with Slimline 3 dish. Local SD channels for some cities, Spanish package]

17-24  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  x   x   x

Satellite transponders (16 total at 99º(s)) [or 99º(b)]

[Note: these can be very slow to appear]

Satellite transponders (14 total at 99º(c)) [or 99º(a)]

[National HD channels]

Satellite transponders (16 total at 103º(s)) [or 103º(a)]

Satellite transponders (16 total at 103º(ca))

[National HD channels beamed from D12 satellite]

1-8    NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA

Satellite transponders (14 total at 103º(cb)) [or 103º(b)]

[National HD channels beamed from D10 satellite]

17-24  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA

Satellite transponders (9 total at SWM)

[You'll only see this if you have a Single Wire Multiswitch (SWM) dish]

9-16   x   NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA

16 of 28 (4,269 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 20, 2013 10:10:54 PM
(0)
Teacher

i get the same 771,  but it comes and goes.  i check the signal level,  sometimes transponder 6 tuner 3 goes to 0.  any suggested?

Sorry  i took long to get back to you,  i got work and what not.    i took some pics of the signal levels.  I have the DVD GENIE.  HR400/700 and  i believe i have a slim lime dish.

Flickr images of signal levels.IMAG0035[1] | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

IMAG0033[1] | Flickr - Photo Sharing!IMAG0036[1] | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

IMAG0034[1] | Flickr - Photo Sharing!IMAG0032[1] | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

i

i get the same 771,  but it comes and goes.  i check the signal level,  sometimes transponder 6 tuner 3 goes to 0.  any suggested?

Sorry  i took long to get back to you,  i got work and what not.    i took some pics of the signal levels.  I have the DVD GENIE.  HR400/700 and  i believe i have a slim lime dish.

Flickr images of signal levels.IMAG0035[1] | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

IMAG0033[1] | Flickr - Photo Sharing!IMAG0036[1] | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

IMAG0034[1] | Flickr - Photo Sharing!IMAG0032[1] | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

i

Re: Re: No satellite signal (771)

17 of 28 (4,269 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 20, 2013 11:20:00 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Can you back up one menu to see the grid that shows all of the transponders for each satellite on one screen (like the template I provided)?   You've got some very goofy readings there.

What other DirecTV equipment do you have? 

Who installed your DirecTV equipment?

Did this HR44 ever work properly?

Are you sure you have a Single Wire Multiswitch Slimline dish setup?

Can you back up one menu to see the grid that shows all of the transponders for each satellite on one screen (like the template I provided)?   You've got some very goofy readings there.

What other DirecTV equipment do you have? 

Who installed your DirecTV equipment?

Did this HR44 ever work properly?

Are you sure you have a Single Wire Multiswitch Slimline dish setup?

18 of 28 (4,269 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 21, 2013 3:16:34 AM
(0)
Expert

Yes, those signal levels are very unusual.  You can respond to Litzdog's questions but I'm convinced you'll need a service call so you might as well call and get scheduled.

Yes, those signal levels are very unusual.  You can respond to Litzdog's questions but I'm convinced you'll need a service call so you might as well call and get scheduled.

19 of 28 (4,269 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2013 6:12:19 PM
(0)
Mentor

Ditto dcd. Prolly bad cables or connectors. If HR44 is failing tuners it usually starts w/ higher tuners. Can you move the box to a different location and check the values there? If they are are the same on a different cable It "could" point to a bad box. If not, then you are looking at bad connectors, cable or splitter port. I had a HR34 about 2 months ago  that had excellent signal levels in the matrix but failed IV. We finally found a white barrel splice inside a wall cavity from a Verizon tech.

Ditto dcd. Prolly bad cables or connectors. If HR44 is failing tuners it usually starts w/ higher tuners. Can you move the box to a different location and check the values there? If they are are the same on a different cable It "could" point to a bad box. If not, then you are looking at bad connectors, cable or splitter port. I had a HR34 about 2 months ago  that had excellent signal levels in the matrix but failed IV. We finally found a white barrel splice inside a wall cavity from a Verizon tech.

20 of 28 (4,269 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 4, 2014 12:20:59 PM
(0)
Contributor

Hi can anyone help me?

I was switching my DTV boxes because I have a grandson coming to visit.  I switched the HD  box to the downstairs TV. After words I got a 771 error, on the D12/500 box that used a SWM box. What can I do to fix this? I already have a tech coming out tomorrow to take a look at the HD box which has a 775 error code.

(Main box: DTV HD), all the rest are (DTV: D12-500).

Hi can anyone help me?

I was switching my DTV boxes because I have a grandson coming to visit.  I switched the HD  box to the downstairs TV. After words I got a 771 error, on the D12/500 box that used a SWM box. What can I do to fix this? I already have a tech coming out tomorrow to take a look at the HD box which has a 775 error code.

(Main box: DTV HD), all the rest are (DTV: D12-500).

21 of 28 (4,269 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 4, 2014 12:30:03 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

You probably moved the SWM Power Inserter along with the receiver. The power inserter MUST be connected to the power passing port of your splitter (the red port). By moving the PI, you are no longer supplying power to the dish. Move the PI back to its original location and the problems will go away.

You probably moved the SWM Power Inserter along with the receiver. The power inserter MUST be connected to the power passing port of your splitter (the red port). By moving the PI, you are no longer supplying power to the dish. Move the PI back to its original location and the problems will go away.

22 of 28 (4,269 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 4, 2014 12:32:15 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

You're responding to a pretty old thread, shelly1954.  Best to start your own new post. Include more details about exactly what is (or was) connected where.  "771" errors usually refer to satellite reception problems, while "775" refers to an issue with the SWM power supply.  When swapping boxes, it's very important to watch for things like "stop band filters", the SWM power supply, and which coax splitter port feeds what device (for example, the SWM power supply must connect to a "power passing port" on the splitter).

You're responding to a pretty old thread, shelly1954.  Best to start your own new post. Include more details about exactly what is (or was) connected where.  "771" errors usually refer to satellite reception problems, while "775" refers to an issue with the SWM power supply.  When swapping boxes, it's very important to watch for things like "stop band filters", the SWM power supply, and which coax splitter port feeds what device (for example, the SWM power supply must connect to a "power passing port" on the splitter).

23 of 28 (4,269 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2015 10:49:24 AM
(0)
Contributor

i have two receivers only one gives me the 771 signal lost the # mdl d11 mfr 100.it is a direct receiver.

i have two receivers only one gives me the 771 signal lost the # mdl d11 mfr 100.it is a direct receiver.

24 of 28 (4,269 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2015 12:08:33 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

You're posting in a very old thread.  Best to start your own new thread with more details about your signal levels.  If only one Receiver has this problem, try swapping them.  If the problem stays with the "bad" Receiver, then you know it's defective and can call DirecTV for a replacement.  If the problem stays in that room, then something is wrong with the satellite cable feeding that room, and it's best to call DirecTV for a service visit.

You're posting in a very old thread.  Best to start your own new thread with more details about your signal levels.  If only one Receiver has this problem, try swapping them.  If the problem stays with the "bad" Receiver, then you know it's defective and can call DirecTV for a replacement.  If the problem stays in that room, then something is wrong with the satellite cable feeding that room, and it's best to call DirecTV for a service visit.

25 of 28 (4,269 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 29, 2015 12:09:10 PM
(0)
Teacher

For future reference - the 771 message is saying that you are not getting satellite signal strongly enough for a channel signal. It says satellite alignment, but there is no way for it to know if your loss of signal is due to a bad connection, dish that's not aimed right, or if there is something blocking it. So yes, it's probably not (but possibly) that the dish is out of alignment, but it's more likely a connection issue.

For future reference - the 771 message is saying that you are not getting satellite signal strongly enough for a channel signal. It says satellite alignment, but there is no way for it to know if your loss of signal is due to a bad connection, dish that's not aimed right, or if there is something blocking it. So yes, it's probably not (but possibly) that the dish is out of alignment, but it's more likely a connection issue.

26 of 28 (4,269 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 29, 2015 1:28:37 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

You're responding to a two year old thread..

You're responding to a two year old thread..

27 of 28 (4,269 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 9, 2015 1:26:56 PM
(0)
Teacher

Appreciate the clarification TB, but if people are currently posting I still don't mind putting info for other readers' understanding.

Appreciate the clarification TB, but if people are currently posting I still don't mind putting info for other readers' understanding.

28 of 28 (4,269 Views)