Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Forum

Posted Aug 16, 2013
8:19:07 PM
New installation (with Genie server and 4 clients), and I've already had to reset the server twice in 4 days

As of this past Monday afternoon, we switched from Time Warner Cable to DirecTV, with a Genie server in the living room, and 4 Genie clients in other rooms.

Already, I've had to reset the server twice.

The first time, the clients refused to respond to their remotes, and displayed either random programming, random menus, or blank screens, and the picture (but not the sound) on the server TV froze until I reset the server. Resetting the clients had little effect, and no usable effect.

Tonight, the server continued in normal operation, but the clients displayed blank screens, and once again refused to respond to their remotes (or the front-panel power button), and again, resetting them had no effect. When I reset the server, one of the two clients active at the time displayed a channel information frame over a blank screen, before going to a "searching for servers" screen; the other went directly to the searching screen.

Both occasions were between 7:00 and 7:30 PM, PDT.

I've entered substantially the same information on the troubleshooting email contact form.

Somebody please help?

As of this past Monday afternoon, we switched from Time Warner Cable to DirecTV, with a Genie server in the living room, and 4 Genie clients in other rooms.

Already, I've had to reset the server twice.

The first time, the clients refused to respond to their remotes, and displayed either random programming, random menus, or blank screens, and the picture (but not the sound) on the server TV froze until I reset the server. Resetting the clients had little effect, and no usable effect.

Tonight, the server continued in normal operation, but the clients displayed blank screens, and once again refused to respond to their remotes (or the front-panel power button), and again, resetting them had no effect. When I reset the server, one of the two clients active at the time displayed a channel information frame over a blank screen, before going to a "searching for servers" screen; the other went directly to the searching screen.

Both occasions were between 7:00 and 7:30 PM, PDT.

I've entered substantially the same information on the troubleshooting email contact form.

Somebody please help?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Sep 8, 2013 9:03:36 PM
(0)
Professor

What you found in the attic is a splitter, not an SWM. There are three types of SWM. One is built into the LNB assembly on the dish, and you will have a single coax coming from the dish to a splitter (which appears to be what you have). The other two types require four coax from the dish to the inputs (SWM8 and SWM16).

To your questions:

1. Maybe, maybe not. The unused coax can actually serve much the same purpose as a terminator, depending on it's condition and length. It certainly is not recommended though. In order of preference - terminator at the splitter, terminator at the end of the coax, no terminator at the end of coax, no terminator at splitter. But the last two are both wrong.

2. A major difference between RG6 and RG59 is the ability to carry DC power, and RG59 does not do that very well. For that reason, you never want to use RG59 for the power inserter. Normally, RG59 will work just fine for other feeds, especially if they are not very long (under 50 feet or so). Further, in the case of RG6, it is preferable to use coax with a solid copper center conductor as opposed to copper clad steel. One of the design purposes of SWM was to allow use of existing RG59 in many homes, although installers are never permitted to install it and could face a quality control check failure even if they use existing RG59.

The unused coax should be disconnected from the splitter and terminating resister caps should be installed. If you have a choice of using RG6 or RG59, absolutely use RG6.

You might try disconnecting the kitchen client altogether for awhile and see if that changes your symptoms. You indicate that not using it seems to greatly reduce the occurrence of problems.

Regardless of the 7 day period, you have a system that is not working properly, and that should be fixed by DirecTV. If you do not have the protection plan, they may charge for doing that. Given that it has not worked properly since the install, I would certainly elevate the compliant as necessary to case management or higher until it is resolved.

Accepted Solution

New installation (with Genie server and 4 clients), and I've already had to reset the server twice in 4 days

63 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(63)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 17, 2013 8:09:14 AM
(0)
Expert

Here's something that will often correct such problems.  Do a red button (inside card door) reset of the Genie.  While it's resetting, do a red button reset of all four clients.  They will exhibit a "cannot find server" until the Genie resets, then they should connect.  This will provide a fresh configuration to the entire system.

Note that if the problem continues you are eligible for a service call at no charge due to the newness of your installation.

Here's something that will often correct such problems.  Do a red button (inside card door) reset of the Genie.  While it's resetting, do a red button reset of all four clients.  They will exhibit a "cannot find server" until the Genie resets, then they should connect.  This will provide a fresh configuration to the entire system.

Note that if the problem continues you are eligible for a service call at no charge due to the newness of your installation.

Re: New installation (with Genie server and 4 clients), and I've already had to reset the server twice in 4 days

2 of 64 (895 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2013 9:44:46 PM
(0)
Mentor

Duly noted; I'll try that when the opportunity presents itself

More information: Today, my father found that the client TV was getting nothing. So he turned on the server TV, and then, a short time later, the client TV was behaving normally.

Duly noted; I'll try that when the opportunity presents itself

More information: Today, my father found that the client TV was getting nothing. So he turned on the server TV, and then, a short time later, the client TV was behaving normally.

Re: New installation (with Genie server and 4 clients), and I've already had to reset the server twice in 4 days

3 of 64 (895 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2013 10:56:17 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Verify that none the DirecTV boxes are being switched on/off with the TV.  Some "smart" power strips will do that and cause all sorts of issues as the DirecTV box reboots everytime the power cycles.

Verify that none the DirecTV boxes are being switched on/off with the TV.  Some "smart" power strips will do that and cause all sorts of issues as the DirecTV box reboots everytime the power cycles.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 64 (895 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 19, 2013 8:30:25 AM
(0)
Mentor

There are no "smart" power strips anywhere in the house, and my understanding is that in the "Genie" system, the client and server boxes all remain partially powered up so long as power is applied, and never completely shut down.

One other possible piece to the puzzle: This morning, I turned on the kitchen TV and its client (with the server TV off and its box sleeping), and the last channel viewed came right up. I switched to some of the channels we commonly watch, and found that Food Network, Cooking Channel, and HGTV all came up find, but HGTV-DIY (right in that same block, but not one we watch frequently) just showed a channel information frame over a blank black screen.

There are no "smart" power strips anywhere in the house, and my understanding is that in the "Genie" system, the client and server boxes all remain partially powered up so long as power is applied, and never completely shut down.

One other possible piece to the puzzle: This morning, I turned on the kitchen TV and its client (with the server TV off and its box sleeping), and the last channel viewed came right up. I switched to some of the channels we commonly watch, and found that Food Network, Cooking Channel, and HGTV all came up find, but HGTV-DIY (right in that same block, but not one we watch frequently) just showed a channel information frame over a blank black screen.

5 of 64 (895 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 28, 2013 9:16:37 PM
(0)
Mentor

Bumping the thread, with some additional information:

It seems that every time the Genie server has gone insane, the kitchen client (feeding a Polaroid TLAC02255 TV through HDMI) was on, and the first time it happened, it happened almost immediately after turning it on. We've had two of the other clients on with some regularity, without driving the server insane, and while we've occasionally had the kitchen client on without problems, we've never had the problem without the kitchen client being on.

The remote control interface is less than perfect: to turn both the TV and the box off, one has to press the combined-ON button first (turning off the TV), then the combined-OFF button (turning off the client box).

And when it was hooked up, the installer had three strands of coax going into the kitchen: two fairly decent foil-shielded-with-drain-wires RG6s, and one cheap RG59, and for some unknown reason, he chose the RG59.

Also, a point of information: we have, as I said in the original post, four clients, and I'm told that only three can be active at any given time. What exactly happens if three clients are active, and a fourth is turned on?

Bumping the thread, with some additional information:

It seems that every time the Genie server has gone insane, the kitchen client (feeding a Polaroid TLAC02255 TV through HDMI) was on, and the first time it happened, it happened almost immediately after turning it on. We've had two of the other clients on with some regularity, without driving the server insane, and while we've occasionally had the kitchen client on without problems, we've never had the problem without the kitchen client being on.

The remote control interface is less than perfect: to turn both the TV and the box off, one has to press the combined-ON button first (turning off the TV), then the combined-OFF button (turning off the client box).

And when it was hooked up, the installer had three strands of coax going into the kitchen: two fairly decent foil-shielded-with-drain-wires RG6s, and one cheap RG59, and for some unknown reason, he chose the RG59.

Also, a point of information: we have, as I said in the original post, four clients, and I'm told that only three can be active at any given time. What exactly happens if three clients are active, and a fourth is turned on?

6 of 64 (895 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 28, 2013 9:35:08 PM
(0)
Teacher

Remember you can only run 3 clients at a time. If you turn on a fourth it's gonna bump one.

Remember you can only run 3 clients at a time. If you turn on a fourth it's gonna bump one.

7 of 64 (895 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 28, 2013 9:38:58 PM
(0)
Teacher

If you need all 4 other TV's sometimes you'll need to call within 7 days of the install and have them do a correction order and change 1 to a H25.

If you need all 4 other TV's sometimes you'll need to call within 7 days of the install and have them do a correction order and change 1 to a H25.

8 of 64 (895 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 29, 2013 3:15:08 AM
(0)
Expert

Did you ever run the multiple reset I suggested on August 17th?

Did you ever run the multiple reset I suggested on August 17th?

9 of 64 (895 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 29, 2013 8:27:07 AM
(0)
Mentor

Because we've been avoiding turning on the kitchen TV lately, it's only gone insane once, and I wasn't around. Should I try it sometime when it's not malfunctioning?

And my understanding is that your "reset everything at once" idea would involve all 4 clients being turned on at the same time; how does that work given that the server can only support three at a time?

Because we've been avoiding turning on the kitchen TV lately, it's only gone insane once, and I wasn't around. Should I try it sometime when it's not malfunctioning?

And my understanding is that your "reset everything at once" idea would involve all 4 clients being turned on at the same time; how does that work given that the server can only support three at a time?

10 of 64 (895 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 29, 2013 8:39:41 AM
(0)
Employee
Not true at all.  turning the 4th will NOT bump one off but rather will get a message stating that there are too many TV's on and one will have to be turn off
Not true at all.  turning the 4th will NOT bump one off but rather will get a message stating that there are too many TV's on and one will have to be turn off
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

11 of 64 (895 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 29, 2013 8:44:39 AM
(0)
Mentor

So far as I know, the only reason why we might need DirecTV on all 5 screens at once would be the "reset everything at once" suggestion from "dcd." And unfortunately, "within 7 days of the install" came and went over a week ago.

So far as I know, the only reason why we might need DirecTV on all 5 screens at once would be the "reset everything at once" suggestion from "dcd." And unfortunately, "within 7 days of the install" came and went over a week ago.

12 of 64 (895 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 1, 2013 9:34:15 PM
(0)
Mentor

Latest development: at present the main TV on the server box is working, but the client TVs all show a completely blank black raster. Tried the reset button on a client box; after "searching for servers," it went back to the blank black screen.

Right at this moment is not a good time for the "reset everything at once" gambit suggested by "dcd"; should be able to try it later tonight or early tomorrow morning.

Latest development: at present the main TV on the server box is working, but the client TVs all show a completely blank black raster. Tried the reset button on a client box; after "searching for servers," it went back to the blank black screen.

Right at this moment is not a good time for the "reset everything at once" gambit suggested by "dcd"; should be able to try it later tonight or early tomorrow morning.

13 of 64 (895 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 2, 2013 1:30:18 AM
(0)
Mentor

(Nearly four hours later)

One client TV was showing a picture again, two were still showing a blank black raster, fourth (mother's bedroom) unknown.

Reset the server box, and reset three of the four client boxes (again, except mother's bedroom) while the server box was resetting. Picture on server TV and all three client TVs in reset. Status of fourth client TV unknown at this time.

It appears to me that my father was talked into a Genie-based system: we have precisely zero interest in DVR functionality (it's been well over a year since there was anything on television worth recording, and in the unlikely event we did want to record something, we would do so on physical media), and precisely zero interest in cutting edge technology (I use a dial-up internet connection, by my own choice, and nobody here owns a smartphone of any pedigree). When we had cable, we had basic service only (every channel we watched was tunable without the use of an STB; the only reason we even had one was that there would have been a surcharge for not having a box; we've never once used PPV, and have not had any premium channels for at least 20 years; if it weren't for Food Network and HGTV, we'd have gone back to an antenna). What we want is robust, mature technology. Is there another DirecTV configuration that would suit our needs better?

(Nearly four hours later)

One client TV was showing a picture again, two were still showing a blank black raster, fourth (mother's bedroom) unknown.

Reset the server box, and reset three of the four client boxes (again, except mother's bedroom) while the server box was resetting. Picture on server TV and all three client TVs in reset. Status of fourth client TV unknown at this time.

It appears to me that my father was talked into a Genie-based system: we have precisely zero interest in DVR functionality (it's been well over a year since there was anything on television worth recording, and in the unlikely event we did want to record something, we would do so on physical media), and precisely zero interest in cutting edge technology (I use a dial-up internet connection, by my own choice, and nobody here owns a smartphone of any pedigree). When we had cable, we had basic service only (every channel we watched was tunable without the use of an STB; the only reason we even had one was that there would have been a surcharge for not having a box; we've never once used PPV, and have not had any premium channels for at least 20 years; if it weren't for Food Network and HGTV, we'd have gone back to an antenna). What we want is robust, mature technology. Is there another DirecTV configuration that would suit our needs better?

14 of 64 (895 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 2, 2013 8:15:47 AM
(0)
Expert

Concentrating on paragraph one of your latest post.  Are we to interpret this as having fixed your problem?  At least on three of the Client boxes?  Upon installation or during a power outage or software update, it sometimes results in a mis configuration of the Whole Home system.  The multiple reset causes the boxes to establish a fresh configuration.

Concentrating on paragraph one of your latest post.  Are we to interpret this as having fixed your problem?  At least on three of the Client boxes?  Upon installation or during a power outage or software update, it sometimes results in a mis configuration of the Whole Home system.  The multiple reset causes the boxes to establish a fresh configuration.

15 of 64 (895 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 2, 2013 10:29:02 AM
(0)
Teacher

Is your power inserter behind the Genie? Also rg-59 on a Genie system is a problem waiting to happen.

Is your power inserter behind the Genie? Also rg-59 on a Genie system is a problem waiting to happen.

16 of 64 (895 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 2, 2013 8:37:16 PM
(0)
Mentor

I should be so lucky. It cured the immediate symptom, but not the chronic problem: I was just informed that sometime today, while I was enjoying Labor Day at three different museums, my dad found it back to blank black rasters on the clients, and had to do a server reset. Which would have to have been within 18 hours of my server-and-all-but-one-client reset.

I should be so lucky. It cured the immediate symptom, but not the chronic problem: I was just informed that sometime today, while I was enjoying Labor Day at three different museums, my dad found it back to blank black rasters on the clients, and had to do a server reset. Which would have to have been within 18 hours of my server-and-all-but-one-client reset.

17 of 64 (895 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 2, 2013 8:44:01 PM
(0)
Mentor

Power inserter is in the line going to the client in my bedroom.

And while I'm not dead sure that the line the installer used for the kitchen was RG-59, I do know that the two he didn't use are definitely RG-6. When I get time, I'll check to see if anything else currently in use is RG-59.

Power inserter is in the line going to the client in my bedroom.

And while I'm not dead sure that the line the installer used for the kitchen was RG-59, I do know that the two he didn't use are definitely RG-6. When I get time, I'll check to see if anything else currently in use is RG-59.

18 of 64 (895 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 3, 2013 4:27:43 AM
(0)
Teacher

The PI needs to be isolated in a Genie system. I always put a 2 way splitter on the power to swm side and terminate the signal to ird side. this has cured all problems we have had with with them.

The PI needs to be isolated in a Genie system. I always put a 2 way splitter on the power to swm side and terminate the signal to ird side. this has cured all problems we have had with with them.

19 of 64 (895 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 3, 2013 4:43:59 AM
(0)
Employee

as long as the cable coming out of the PI to the receiver is at least 7 or 8 feet, there should be no problem with the PI being inline

as long as the cable coming out of the PI to the receiver is at least 7 or 8 feet, there should be no problem with the PI being inline

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

20 of 64 (895 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 3, 2013 11:05:35 AM
(0)
Mentor

I don't think it's more than about 3 or 4 feet between the inserter and the Genie client box, but I won't have an opportunity to measure it until at least tomorrow.

Speaking of which, while I was present during the initial stages of the installation, I was not aware that it was the PI that he was asking me to plug in until after the fact, and while it may very well be the closest point to the SWM and the dish, it's not the most convenient place in terms of power sockets: it's plugged into a power strip that runs my personal TV, VCR, DVD, and component stereo system, and occasionally also a charger or a heating pad. And it's on the same 20A circuit as most of the original south wall of the house.

What are the considerations for moving the inserter?

I don't think it's more than about 3 or 4 feet between the inserter and the Genie client box, but I won't have an opportunity to measure it until at least tomorrow.

Speaking of which, while I was present during the initial stages of the installation, I was not aware that it was the PI that he was asking me to plug in until after the fact, and while it may very well be the closest point to the SWM and the dish, it's not the most convenient place in terms of power sockets: it's plugged into a power strip that runs my personal TV, VCR, DVD, and component stereo system, and occasionally also a charger or a heating pad. And it's on the same 20A circuit as most of the original south wall of the house.

What are the considerations for moving the inserter?

21 of 64 (895 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 3, 2013 5:59:21 PM
(0)
Teacher

I always try to put it on its own outlet not on a power strip buts thats just me

I always try to put it on its own outlet not on a power strip buts thats just me

22 of 64 (895 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 7, 2013 7:49:47 PM
(0)
Mentor

Latest development:

Kitchen client box came up blank black raster. No change after client reset except that now the client box won't respond to any commands from remote (including power-down). Did power-down from front-panel power button.

Server TV currently ok, and in use; will do server-reset at first opportunity. Hopefully, tomorrow, I'll be able to do some further checking on whether (1) I'm right about the line going to the kitchen (one of three available lines) is indeed RG59 (the other two are definitely RG6), and (2) any other client lines are RG59.

Latest development:

Kitchen client box came up blank black raster. No change after client reset except that now the client box won't respond to any commands from remote (including power-down). Did power-down from front-panel power button.

Server TV currently ok, and in use; will do server-reset at first opportunity. Hopefully, tomorrow, I'll be able to do some further checking on whether (1) I'm right about the line going to the kitchen (one of three available lines) is indeed RG59 (the other two are definitely RG6), and (2) any other client lines are RG59.

23 of 64 (895 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 8, 2013 8:34:20 AM
(0)
Mentor

Around 1:30 AM this morning, I woke up and did a "server + 3 clients" reset. At the time, the kitchen client was unchanged, the clients in the rumpus room and my bedroom appeared normal, and the fourth client's status was unknown.

During the reset, the server TV (HDMI) displayed nothing but an "unsupported format" message, even after the clients resumed normal operation, and it did not respond to the format button on the remote. (!?!?!)

I repeated the reset. This time, everything proceeded normally, finishing around 2:00 AM.

As of 8:10 AM this morning, the kitchen TV (also HDMI), when turned on, displayed a blank black raster, followed, a few seconds later by a blank blue raster, which it is still displaying now, 8:21 AM. The other two client TVs included in the reset (CRTs on NTSC composite) are both displaying blank black rasters. The server TV is normal.

Yet another "server + 3 clients" reset is in progress. . . .

Back to normal, with my bedroom client getting a signal first. But the situation is still clearly unstable.

Around 1:30 AM this morning, I woke up and did a "server + 3 clients" reset. At the time, the kitchen client was unchanged, the clients in the rumpus room and my bedroom appeared normal, and the fourth client's status was unknown.

During the reset, the server TV (HDMI) displayed nothing but an "unsupported format" message, even after the clients resumed normal operation, and it did not respond to the format button on the remote. (!?!?!)

I repeated the reset. This time, everything proceeded normally, finishing around 2:00 AM.

As of 8:10 AM this morning, the kitchen TV (also HDMI), when turned on, displayed a blank black raster, followed, a few seconds later by a blank blue raster, which it is still displaying now, 8:21 AM. The other two client TVs included in the reset (CRTs on NTSC composite) are both displaying blank black rasters. The server TV is normal.

Yet another "server + 3 clients" reset is in progress. . . .

Back to normal, with my bedroom client getting a signal first. But the situation is still clearly unstable.

24 of 64 (895 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 8, 2013 9:21:04 AM
(0)
Teacher

What brand is the Tv on the main receiver? I have seen some older Samsung models display that message. It tells you you need component cables to view mostly on movie channels. As for the rest of your problem I stand by isolating the PI with a splitter and for sure get the 59 out of the system.

What brand is the Tv on the main receiver? I have seen some older Samsung models display that message. It tells you you need component cables to view mostly on movie channels. As for the rest of your problem I stand by isolating the PI with a splitter and for sure get the 59 out of the system.

25 of 64 (895 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 8, 2013 2:20:54 PM
(0)
Mentor

The server TV is a fairly old Samsung flat-screen, dating from fairly early in the switch to HDTV, but the error message has only appeared on two occasions in connection with DirecTV, once, when the format somehow got switched to 1080P on the box, and what I described from late last night.

As to the PI, the lead from it to the TV appears to be a good 7-8 feet, based on my running a tape measure along the cable, without a convenient way to stretch it out.

As to the RG59, some good news and some bad: First the good: the line going from the server box to the wall is clearly marked as quad-shielded RG6, and the line going from the wall to the rumpus room is also clearly marked as RG6. And of the two strands of coax going into my bedroom, the one that the installer picked is also RG6. Radio Shack RG6, but RG6. (The other one, the one that goes nowhere and does nothing, is RG59).

Now the bad news: The line going to the kitchen client is unmarked (thankfully, there are two currently-idle RG6s that also go there), and so is the line going to my mother's bedroom, and where RG59 is concerned, I tend to lean towards "guilty until proven innocent." Also, all four strands of coax (and an old strand of twin-lead!) going into the living room, including both the one that goes to the server and the one that passes through the wall into the rumpus room, come out of the wall from the attic at a wall-plate with 4 female F-connectors, and I'm far from certain that they're all RG6 in the wall and in the attic. I hope to be able to inspect things in the attic by this evening.

The server TV is a fairly old Samsung flat-screen, dating from fairly early in the switch to HDTV, but the error message has only appeared on two occasions in connection with DirecTV, once, when the format somehow got switched to 1080P on the box, and what I described from late last night.

As to the PI, the lead from it to the TV appears to be a good 7-8 feet, based on my running a tape measure along the cable, without a convenient way to stretch it out.

As to the RG59, some good news and some bad: First the good: the line going from the server box to the wall is clearly marked as quad-shielded RG6, and the line going from the wall to the rumpus room is also clearly marked as RG6. And of the two strands of coax going into my bedroom, the one that the installer picked is also RG6. Radio Shack RG6, but RG6. (The other one, the one that goes nowhere and does nothing, is RG59).

Now the bad news: The line going to the kitchen client is unmarked (thankfully, there are two currently-idle RG6s that also go there), and so is the line going to my mother's bedroom, and where RG59 is concerned, I tend to lean towards "guilty until proven innocent." Also, all four strands of coax (and an old strand of twin-lead!) going into the living room, including both the one that goes to the server and the one that passes through the wall into the rumpus room, come out of the wall from the attic at a wall-plate with 4 female F-connectors, and I'm far from certain that they're all RG6 in the wall and in the attic. I hope to be able to inspect things in the attic by this evening.

26 of 64 (895 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 8, 2013 4:15:44 PM
(0)
Teacher

I have been told that you get that message on the older samsungs. I have seen it more then once its ramdon. As for the wall plates make sure the barrels in them are blue or orange and check behind them for crimp fittings!

I have been told that you get that message on the older samsungs. I have seen it more then once its ramdon. As for the wall plates make sure the barrels in them are blue or orange and check behind them for crimp fittings!

27 of 64 (895 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 8, 2013 4:32:19 PM
(0)
Mentor

What I found in the attic:

I found what is presumably the SWM, i.e., a metal box with eight F connectors coming off one side, and a ninth, clearly going to the dish, coming off another side, and what appear to be clamps for a ground wire coming off either end.

Neither of them are connected to ground wires.

Even though there are only a server and four clients, seven of the eight F connectors have cables attached. The eighth has a terminator.

Both the "live" (RG6) and "unused" (RG59) lines going to my bedroom are in fact live.

Both the RG59 line and one of the RG6 lines going to the kitchen are live. The third is a direct line to the living room.

One of the two live lines going into the living room is RG6; the other is unmarked, and presumed RG59.

Questions:

Isn't having a bunch of cables going nowhere, with no terminators on the ends, even worse than leaving unused outputs unterminated?

Does the SWM care what line the PI is connected to? Would using that unused RG59 for the PI and only the PI make sense?

What I found in the attic:

I found what is presumably the SWM, i.e., a metal box with eight F connectors coming off one side, and a ninth, clearly going to the dish, coming off another side, and what appear to be clamps for a ground wire coming off either end.

Neither of them are connected to ground wires.

Even though there are only a server and four clients, seven of the eight F connectors have cables attached. The eighth has a terminator.

Both the "live" (RG6) and "unused" (RG59) lines going to my bedroom are in fact live.

Both the RG59 line and one of the RG6 lines going to the kitchen are live. The third is a direct line to the living room.

One of the two live lines going into the living room is RG6; the other is unmarked, and presumed RG59.

Questions:

Isn't having a bunch of cables going nowhere, with no terminators on the ends, even worse than leaving unused outputs unterminated?

Does the SWM care what line the PI is connected to? Would using that unused RG59 for the PI and only the PI make sense?

Re: Re: New installation (with Genie server and 4 clients), and I've already had to reset the server twice in 4 days

28 of 64 (895 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 8, 2013 4:41:00 PM
(0)
Mentor

Blue or orange barrels? They're F-type gender changers, that I personally mounted in the wallplate, with the cables inside the wall screwed onto them.

The most recent connectors I installed myself are the sort that screw onto the trimmed cable end, rather than crimp-on, mainly because except for the most expensive sort of crimpers (which I don't have), I've never been able to get anything close to a good, secure, crimp-on connection.

And as to the error message, it persisted even with repeated cycling of the input select on the TV. I didn't try cycling the power on the TV, though. When I did the second reset last night, at several points in the early stages (and maybe also earlier, when I was cycling the input select), a small still frame in the corner of a large black raster appeared. This suggests to me that the server box was putting garbage out the HDMI port, at that point, but the whole matter is moot.

Blue or orange barrels? They're F-type gender changers, that I personally mounted in the wallplate, with the cables inside the wall screwed onto them.

The most recent connectors I installed myself are the sort that screw onto the trimmed cable end, rather than crimp-on, mainly because except for the most expensive sort of crimpers (which I don't have), I've never been able to get anything close to a good, secure, crimp-on connection.

And as to the error message, it persisted even with repeated cycling of the input select on the TV. I didn't try cycling the power on the TV, though. When I did the second reset last night, at several points in the early stages (and maybe also earlier, when I was cycling the input select), a small still frame in the corner of a large black raster appeared. This suggests to me that the server box was putting garbage out the HDMI port, at that point, but the whole matter is moot.

Re: Re: New installation (with Genie server and 4 clients), and I've already had to reset the server twice in 4 days

29 of 64 (895 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 8, 2013 5:10:31 PM
(0)
Teacher

U don't want rg-59 connected to anything in a genie system. Also to answer your question Yes unused cables should be terminated. The barrels im talking about are blue or orange in the middle. The connections are very important in a swm system. Also a 8 way splitter is overkill 4 a 4 box unless U are isolating the PI with its own line.

U don't want rg-59 connected to anything in a genie system. Also to answer your question Yes unused cables should be terminated. The barrels im talking about are blue or orange in the middle. The connections are very important in a swm system. Also a 8 way splitter is overkill 4 a 4 box unless U are isolating the PI with its own line.

30 of 64 (895 Views)