Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Forum

Posted Jan 19, 2014
9:17:22 PM
View profile
Loud Squeak with HR44 Dolby Digital

I just upgraded to the HR44 and enabled Dolby Digital.  Upon doing so, I notice a loud squeak every time I resume from pause.  I can stop this by going to PCM, but that puts me back into stereo only.  Has anyone else encountered this or have a solution to this to keep using 5.1 via dolby digital?

Thanks,

Tre

I just upgraded to the HR44 and enabled Dolby Digital.  Upon doing so, I notice a loud squeak every time I resume from pause.  I can stop this by going to PCM, but that puts me back into stereo only.  Has anyone else encountered this or have a solution to this to keep using 5.1 via dolby digital?

Thanks,

Tre

Loud Squeak with HR44 Dolby Digital

20 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(20)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 19, 2014 10:27:32 PM
(0)
Administrator

Software issue with the boxes.  Pace screwed up on something, when they helped Direct write the software for the HR44 series.  Even worse is when you first turn on your AVRS, you do not get DD, you only get at most of the time DTS NEO 6 on most, due to bad handshaking with the receiver and AV Receivers.

Now of course Direct's fix, is for everyone to start using Toslink or Digital Coax vs. HDMI for DD from their hardware.

Software issue with the boxes.  Pace screwed up on something, when they helped Direct write the software for the HR44 series.  Even worse is when you first turn on your AVRS, you do not get DD, you only get at most of the time DTS NEO 6 on most, due to bad handshaking with the receiver and AV Receivers.

Now of course Direct's fix, is for everyone to start using Toslink or Digital Coax vs. HDMI for DD from their hardware.

Re: Loud Squeak with HR44 Dolby Digital

2 of 21 (150 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 20, 2014 12:06:45 AM
(0)
Tutor

I should have mentioned that I'm already using digital coax so it is beyond just hdmi. I can't use hdmi because my receiver does not accept that and I only have two tos links which are used from devices without digital coax. I need to find an inexpensive tos link splitter that doesn't degrade the beam. Tried some an no joy.

I should have mentioned that I'm already using digital coax so it is beyond just hdmi. I can't use hdmi because my receiver does not accept that and I only have two tos links which are used from devices without digital coax. I need to find an inexpensive tos link splitter that doesn't degrade the beam. Tried some an no joy.

3 of 21 (150 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 20, 2014 3:11:19 AM
(0)
Expert

Do you have a sound system or are you using the TV's speakers?

Do you have a sound system or are you using the TV's speakers?

4 of 21 (150 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2014 5:12:24 PM
(0)
Tutor

Surround sound

Surround sound

5 of 21 (150 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2014 5:15:55 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

What brand/model AV Surround Receiver?  You might need to change the AV Receiver's "Dolby Digital" decoding settings so that you don't get the "squeal" when the surround audio mode changes. 

What brand/model AV Surround Receiver?  You might need to change the AV Receiver's "Dolby Digital" decoding settings so that you don't get the "squeal" when the surround audio mode changes. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 21 (150 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2014 5:32:41 PM
(0)
Tutor

It's an older Yamaha and I thought the Dolby digital on the system was fully automatic but I will check that out.

It's an older Yamaha and I thought the Dolby digital on the system was fully automatic but I will check that out.

7 of 21 (150 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2014 5:48:41 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

You might also check out the relevant thread for your model Yamaha AVR in the "AV Receiver Forum" at http://www.avsforum.com

You might also check out the relevant thread for your model Yamaha AVR in the "AV Receiver Forum" at http://www.avsforum.com

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

8 of 21 (150 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2014 7:28:10 PM
(0)
Administrator

9 of 21 (150 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2014 7:31:39 PM
(0)
Administrator

You should warn them to not register there.  The mods over at AVS get a little too God like, and tend to ban people if they think you are there to cause trouble, even if you are asking questions, or in the cases that involve electrical problems, they ban the professionals that straighten out the lies from the truth and have banned them.

Curtpalme.com & http://www.hometheatershack.com/ are probably the better ones, and not so bad on making new people unwelcome, or banning people, when the long term regulars over there want to start playing God trip games.

You should warn them to not register there.  The mods over at AVS get a little too God like, and tend to ban people if they think you are there to cause trouble, even if you are asking questions, or in the cases that involve electrical problems, they ban the professionals that straighten out the lies from the truth and have banned them.

Curtpalme.com & http://www.hometheatershack.com/ are probably the better ones, and not so bad on making new people unwelcome, or banning people, when the long term regulars over there want to start playing God trip games.

10 of 21 (150 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2014 8:05:05 PM
(0)
Tutor

I've tried and returned that because it is incompatible with my system

I've tried and returned that because it is incompatible with my system

11 of 21 (150 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 24, 2014 5:26:48 AM
(0)
Administrator

Which one? That way if this comes up again, or someone searches, they will know.

Which one? That way if this comes up again, or someone searches, they will know.

12 of 21 (150 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 24, 2014 12:37:49 PM
(0)
Tutor

Sorry about that, the first one is the one that didn't work.  It's been a bit since I tried it, but it dims the light enough so that it does not work anymore.

Sorry about that, the first one is the one that didn't work.  It's been a bit since I tried it, but it dims the light enough so that it does not work anymore.

13 of 21 (150 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 24, 2014 12:41:36 PM
(0)
Tutor

I'm about to go to that site to dig around, but I found this out:

When I resume on a dolby channel, the directv sends a PCM auto to the receiver first, then the directv sends the dolby signal and then the receiver switches over, that switch is what causes the squeak.  When I pause, all audio signal is cut and the receiver goes in the blind and resets to no signal.

The receiver only seems to handle the dolby signal automatically.  I'll dig around some more.

I'm about to go to that site to dig around, but I found this out:

When I resume on a dolby channel, the directv sends a PCM auto to the receiver first, then the directv sends the dolby signal and then the receiver switches over, that switch is what causes the squeak.  When I pause, all audio signal is cut and the receiver goes in the blind and resets to no signal.

The receiver only seems to handle the dolby signal automatically.  I'll dig around some more.

14 of 21 (150 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 24, 2014 9:33:07 PM
(0)
Administrator

That is probably why we are seeing the DTS Neo:6 when switching on the AV recievers, while the DVR or STB is on, or when switching off the AV Receiver, to go back to using the Sound bar, the DVR or STB is still on, and no audio, until you power cycle the DVR or STB off, then back on.

If only Direct & Pace would listen, or even realize that this as you stated is happening, and fix the software so that you did not have to go through extra steps, to get Dolby Digital output on the AV Receiver through HDMI, or audio through a Soundbar, as how I have mine connected through the TV.

It is a hic-up that you learn to deal with, but really we should not have it, and expected when we took the service in our homes, that there would not be any problems like this.  Same with some HD sets not fully compatible with HDMI to the Clients, DVR's or STB's, so you end up having to use the Component cables to feed the source to the HDTV instead.

That is probably why we are seeing the DTS Neo:6 when switching on the AV recievers, while the DVR or STB is on, or when switching off the AV Receiver, to go back to using the Sound bar, the DVR or STB is still on, and no audio, until you power cycle the DVR or STB off, then back on.

If only Direct & Pace would listen, or even realize that this as you stated is happening, and fix the software so that you did not have to go through extra steps, to get Dolby Digital output on the AV Receiver through HDMI, or audio through a Soundbar, as how I have mine connected through the TV.

It is a hic-up that you learn to deal with, but really we should not have it, and expected when we took the service in our homes, that there would not be any problems like this.  Same with some HD sets not fully compatible with HDMI to the Clients, DVR's or STB's, so you end up having to use the Component cables to feed the source to the HDTV instead.

15 of 21 (150 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2014 9:42:09 AM
(0)
Tutor

I also have the same issue.  I have a directv H24 connect to a Martin Logan Sound Bar directly via optical.  Each time I fastforward or Rewind i get a loud pop for soundbar.  Very annoying.  Also I have search this direct forum on this subject and seems like a common issue but no fix??

I also have the same issue.  I have a directv H24 connect to a Martin Logan Sound Bar directly via optical.  Each time I fastforward or Rewind i get a loud pop for soundbar.  Very annoying.  Also I have search this direct forum on this subject and seems like a common issue but no fix??

16 of 21 (150 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2014 3:50:42 PM
(0)
Employee

I would have to disagree this being a "common issue" I have an HR44 connected to a Denon AVR and it handles switching flawlessly.  This has to do with your SB not handling the switchover correctly

I would have to disagree this being a "common issue" I have an HR44 connected to a Denon AVR and it handles switching flawlessly.  This has to do with your SB not handling the switchover correctly

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

17 of 21 (150 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 28, 2014 3:33:06 AM
(0)
Expert

The problem as I see it is two fold and emanates from the sound system.  First, the loud sound when switching from 2ch to Dolby is not built into the Directv sound track and does not generally appear in discreet component systems.  And second, a more sophisticated amplifier will hold the Dolby setting during FF and RW.  Dolby will switch off of course when a 2ch signal is received.

The problem as I see it is two fold and emanates from the sound system.  First, the loud sound when switching from 2ch to Dolby is not built into the Directv sound track and does not generally appear in discreet component systems.  And second, a more sophisticated amplifier will hold the Dolby setting during FF and RW.  Dolby will switch off of course when a 2ch signal is received.

18 of 21 (150 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 28, 2014 2:52:09 PM
(0)
Administrator

When I pause recorded or currently tuned programming, my AVR-1612 will go into DTS Neo:6 mode.  Same when rewinding or FFwd.

When I pause recorded or currently tuned programming, my AVR-1612 will go into DTS Neo:6 mode.  Same when rewinding or FFwd.

19 of 21 (150 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 28, 2014 6:59:55 PM
(0)
Tutor

I figured I'd follow up on this.  I'm still having the issue so there has been no software update to fix it.  Still pondering an inexpensive solution. 

I figured I'd follow up on this.  I'm still having the issue so there has been no software update to fix it.  Still pondering an inexpensive solution. 

20 of 21 (150 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 29, 2014 9:16:03 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Yes, it's a sound bar/AV receiver issue. The AV receiver should mute the audio when you fast forward etc but some don't.  I have no problems with the HR44 and my Sony AV receiver.

My guess is that the chipset in the various DirecTv boxes behave slightly differently which is why this happens with some DirecTv boxes and not others. None the less, the AV receiver is supposed to handle it .And I know it's no consolation, but this type of issue has been around for ever (not just with DirecTV).

Yes, it's a sound bar/AV receiver issue. The AV receiver should mute the audio when you fast forward etc but some don't.  I have no problems with the HR44 and my Sony AV receiver.

My guess is that the chipset in the various DirecTv boxes behave slightly differently which is why this happens with some DirecTv boxes and not others. None the less, the AV receiver is supposed to handle it .And I know it's no consolation, but this type of issue has been around for ever (not just with DirecTV).

21 of 21 (150 Views)