Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Community

Posted Oct 8, 2013
5:12:09 PM
View profile
Lines at the top of the screen

Just switched TVs in the bedroom which has a Genie-mini receiver - it's an older TV - Toshiba 24AF46. All went well, however there is

a band of white lines at the top of the screen that appear to be left after the info bar closes. (The lines are NOT there while the bar is up.)

I'm pretty sure this is a setting issue - but I'm at a loss as I've been unable to to resolve this myself. any suggestions are much appreciated! Thanks in advance

Just switched TVs in the bedroom which has a Genie-mini receiver - it's an older TV - Toshiba 24AF46. All went well, however there is

a band of white lines at the top of the screen that appear to be left after the info bar closes. (The lines are NOT there while the bar is up.)

I'm pretty sure this is a setting issue - but I'm at a loss as I've been unable to to resolve this myself. any suggestions are much appreciated! Thanks in advance

Lines at the top of the screen

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2013 5:55:03 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

The "pixelation" at the top of the screen is possibly not pixelation at all. Is it a line of noise that looks like it might be composed of dots and dashes? If so it's the closed caption data in the interscan between frames (which exists only on the SD channels) , and it is visible because your plasma is set to zero overscan (don't know what it is called on your TV).  Look for a setting that is about 5% overscan and that should get rid of it.

The "pixelation" at the top of the screen is possibly not pixelation at all. Is it a line of noise that looks like it might be composed of dots and dashes? If so it's the closed caption data in the interscan between frames (which exists only on the SD channels) , and it is visible because your plasma is set to zero overscan (don't know what it is called on your TV).  Look for a setting that is about 5% overscan and that should get rid of it.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Lines at the top of the screen

2 of 7 (4 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2013 5:58:41 PM
(0)
Tutor

I wondered if it could be the CC setting, but it's turned off and no luck with the lines - I'll check on the overscan and see if that does it. Thanks for the reply!

I wondered if it could be the CC setting, but it's turned off and no luck with the lines - I'll check on the overscan and see if that does it. Thanks for the reply!

3 of 7 (4 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2013 6:03:08 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

No, you misunderstood my comment.  that is the CC information.  the only way to get rid of this is to set the TV to some over scan.  in some TV this is known as 16x9, normal or wide setting

No, you misunderstood my comment.  that is the CC information.  the only way to get rid of this is to set the TV to some over scan.  in some TV this is known as 16x9, normal or wide setting

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 7 (4 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2013 6:07:49 PM
(0)
Tutor

Nope, I got ya - but it looks like I muddled the situation. Off to check the overscan :smileysilly:

Nope, I got ya - but it looks like I muddled the situation. Off to check the overscan :smileysilly:

5 of 7 (4 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2013 8:48:24 PM
(0)
Tutor

Well, there's nothing about overscan on any of the TV settings - and I failed to mention this before - but it isn't a plasma set - it's older. However, based on what you said overall I did tweak a couple of settings and see some improvement  - it's not completely resolved but it's better. The settings on the TV itself are limited. Thanks for the info - I at least understand what it is I'm looking for now.

Well, there's nothing about overscan on any of the TV settings - and I failed to mention this before - but it isn't a plasma set - it's older. However, based on what you said overall I did tweak a couple of settings and see some improvement  - it's not completely resolved but it's better. The settings on the TV itself are limited. Thanks for the info - I at least understand what it is I'm looking for now.

6 of 7 (4 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2013 4:31:30 AM
(0)
Expert

Is the TV a flat screen or tube type?  If tube, look for a horizontal hold setting.

Is the TV a flat screen or tube type?  If tube, look for a horizontal hold setting.

7 of 7 (4 Views)