Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

Questions about your Smartphone data usage? Please join us here for a live “Ask an Expert” event on Wednesday, August 24th from 1-5 pm ET / 10am-2pm PT.

DIRECTV Forum

Posted Dec 25, 2013
2:15:48 PM
Issue after connecting external drive

I just connected an external drive to my DirecTV receiver (HR24). It seems to be connected fine, but now, I suspect I am not Internet-connected despite that the "More System Info & Test" listing says it is connected. It states the IP address is 10.0.0.22, which does not seem valid to me. Plus, when I click the Info on a given TV show or movie and choose Cast & Crew, I get no details about the individuals like before. Also, in my Smart Search, I no longer can search YouTube. My wireless router works fine. I disconnected and reconnected my DirecTV gizmo that connects my wireless router with the receiver. I have turned off and on the receiver. Help?

I just connected an external drive to my DirecTV receiver (HR24). It seems to be connected fine, but now, I suspect I am not Internet-connected despite that the "More System Info & Test" listing says it is connected. It states the IP address is 10.0.0.22, which does not seem valid to me. Plus, when I click the Info on a given TV show or movie and choose Cast & Crew, I get no details about the individuals like before. Also, in my Smart Search, I no longer can search YouTube. My wireless router works fine. I disconnected and reconnected my DirecTV gizmo that connects my wireless router with the receiver. I have turned off and on the receiver. Help?

Issue after connecting external drive

11 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(11)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 25, 2013 2:30:02 PM
(0)
Professor

I think that all that info is stored on the internal drive that is no longer used and will automatically be re-downloaded to the external drive in the next couple of days

I think that all that info is stored on the internal drive that is no longer used and will automatically be re-downloaded to the external drive in the next couple of days

Re: Issue after connecting external drive

2 of 12 (3 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 25, 2013 3:32:18 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

You'll want to repeat the DVR's Network Setup when you're using a new external hard drive. 

You'll want to repeat the DVR's Network Setup when you're using a new external hard drive. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 12 (3 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 25, 2013 3:43:24 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I'd also do two resets in a 30

Minute window to dump the guide cache and build a new from scratch

I'd also do two resets in a 30

Minute window to dump the guide cache and build a new from scratch

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 12 (3 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 25, 2013 4:44:23 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks for all the suggestions - I did do a network setup and perhaps I'm a little impatient.

Peds48, when you say resets, do you mean restart receiver, reset defaults, or reset everything (sounds frightening!).

Thanks for all the suggestions - I did do a network setup and perhaps I'm a little impatient.

Peds48, when you say resets, do you mean restart receiver, reset defaults, or reset everything (sounds frightening!).

5 of 12 (3 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 25, 2013 4:51:28 PM
(0)
Tutor

My apology if you get this twice. Must admit I'm not up to speed on online forums.

My apology if you get this twice. Must admit I'm not up to speed on online forums.

6 of 12 (3 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 25, 2013 5:16:47 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

no, I mean do a red button reset, let it boot to live TV, reset again.  this flushes the guide cache and builds a new from scratch

no, I mean do a red button reset, let it boot to live TV, reset again.  this flushes the guide cache and builds a new from scratch

7 of 12 (3 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 25, 2013 5:24:03 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks again!

Thanks again!

8 of 12 (3 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 25, 2013 5:29:04 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

You are welcome.  Keep us posted

You are welcome.  Keep us posted

9 of 12 (3 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 26, 2013 3:28:30 AM
(0)
Expert

To other readers of this thread.  We usually recommend a reset be done by the red button inside the card door or on the side of the receiver.  Using the menu resets offers three choices and some of those are best avoided.  The button is safe and benign.

To other readers of this thread.  We usually recommend a reset be done by the red button inside the card door or on the side of the receiver.  Using the menu resets offers three choices and some of those are best avoided.  The button is safe and benign.

10 of 12 (3 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 30, 2013 1:43:24 PM
(0)
Tutor

Rest of the story: I did repeat the receiver's Network Setup (as suggested) and the information slowly found its way back. It took a couple of days, and it's clearly Internet-connected.

Rest of the story: I did repeat the receiver's Network Setup (as suggested) and the information slowly found its way back. It took a couple of days, and it's clearly Internet-connected.

11 of 12 (3 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 30, 2013 2:42:58 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Awesome.  Thanks for the update.

Awesome.  Thanks for the update.

12 of 12 (3 Views)