Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Community

Posted Oct 7, 2013
10:13:07 AM
View profile
Is there a way to disable the screen saver that comes on automatically (after an hour or two) on the R16?

Is there a way to disable the screen saver that comes on automatically (after an hour or two) on the R16?

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2013 1:43:41 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

It should not come on by itself, unless you've left the DVR paused for several minutes.  First thing to try is resetting the DVR using the red button behind the front panel access card door.

It should not come on by itself, unless you've left the DVR paused for several minutes.  First thing to try is resetting the DVR using the red button behind the front panel access card door.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Is there a way to disable the screen saver that comes on automatically (after an hour or two) on the R16?

2 of 9 (34 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2013 8:14:25 PM
(0)
Teacher

No, unfortunately the screen save cannot be totally disabled.

It will turn on 5 min after the menu is left open, an error message on the screen, or if a video is left paused without any input from the front of the receiver of with the remote. If there is no input from the remote in a few hours the receiver will go to screen saver mode in order to prevent screen burn. I would just try pressing the arrows from time to time to stop this from happening.

No, unfortunately the screen save cannot be totally disabled.

It will turn on 5 min after the menu is left open, an error message on the screen, or if a video is left paused without any input from the front of the receiver of with the remote. If there is no input from the remote in a few hours the receiver will go to screen saver mode in order to prevent screen burn. I would just try pressing the arrows from time to time to stop this from happening.

Re: Is there a way to disable the screen saver that comes on automatically (after an hour or two) on the R16?

3 of 9 (34 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2013 8:46:35 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

That's not true.  The screen save should NOT come on simply because there's no signals from the remote control after a couple of hours. 

That's not true.  The screen save should NOT come on simply because there's no signals from the remote control after a couple of hours. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 9 (34 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2013 9:03:59 PM
(0)
Teacher

My apologies, If there is not input from either the remote, or the front of the receiver, than the screen saver is set to turn on within the above mentioned time frame. There are some customer who never use a remote for DTV, using the front of the receiver instead. However if you do not change the channel, open the guide, or in general press a button that operates the receiver, than the screen saver will inevitably come on.

My apologies, If there is not input from either the remote, or the front of the receiver, than the screen saver is set to turn on within the above mentioned time frame. There are some customer who never use a remote for DTV, using the front of the receiver instead. However if you do not change the channel, open the guide, or in general press a button that operates the receiver, than the screen saver will inevitably come on.

5 of 9 (34 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2013 4:22:07 AM
(0)
Expert

Sorry Patrick,  I'm with Litzdog on this one, the screen saver should not come on after long periods during normal playback or live viewing.

Sorry Patrick,  I'm with Litzdog on this one, the screen saver should not come on after long periods during normal playback or live viewing.

6 of 9 (34 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 17, 2013 10:45:05 AM
(0)
Contributor

It should not but it does.  This is happening to me all the time with my Genie DVR if I don't do anything with the remote for about 2 hours.  The majority of these times is when I am watching live sports.  Let me say this clearly...it doesn't happen all the time or on all channels.  For example I can leave my local channel 32 (WFLD) on for hours in the morning without touching the remote and I have no issues.  I watch the Bears game and 2 hours in the screen saver comes on.

The same issue happens in TNT when I watch the MLB playoffs, and was happening all summer watching baseball games.

Before one of you says it...yes I have already done the red button reset a few times..

It should not but it does.  This is happening to me all the time with my Genie DVR if I don't do anything with the remote for about 2 hours.  The majority of these times is when I am watching live sports.  Let me say this clearly...it doesn't happen all the time or on all channels.  For example I can leave my local channel 32 (WFLD) on for hours in the morning without touching the remote and I have no issues.  I watch the Bears game and 2 hours in the screen saver comes on.

The same issue happens in TNT when I watch the MLB playoffs, and was happening all summer watching baseball games.

Before one of you says it...yes I have already done the red button reset a few times..

7 of 9 (34 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 30, 2013 6:55:03 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have this issue with DogTV (CH354).  The purpose of DogTV is to entertain the dog(s) in our absence but after a couple of hours the screen saver appears and DogTV is audio only.

I have contacted customer service on the phone and by email.  Got the same answer both times: There is no way for the user or customer support to disable the screen saver.

I contacted DogTV who said to contact Directv.  Thanks for nothing DogTV, you really should care if you value having subscribers.

This feature should clearly be user selectable from the main menu.  Come on Directv ...  This should be an easy software upgrade.  Get-er-done!

I have this issue with DogTV (CH354).  The purpose of DogTV is to entertain the dog(s) in our absence but after a couple of hours the screen saver appears and DogTV is audio only.

I have contacted customer service on the phone and by email.  Got the same answer both times: There is no way for the user or customer support to disable the screen saver.

I contacted DogTV who said to contact Directv.  Thanks for nothing DogTV, you really should care if you value having subscribers.

This feature should clearly be user selectable from the main menu.  Come on Directv ...  This should be an easy software upgrade.  Get-er-done!

8 of 9 (34 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 30, 2013 7:00:44 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

DirecTV does not monitor these forums.  Best to e-mail your feedback as they won't see it here.

DirecTV does not monitor these forums.  Best to e-mail your feedback as they won't see it here.

9 of 9 (34 Views)