Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Community

Posted Nov 17, 2013
8:04:37 PM
In To Do list, dvr will not look for later times for programs?

I have an HR-22 and lately it cancels programs saying it has a conflict with a higher priority--but the one it's cancelling has multiple times--like on Showtime or AMCHD or FXHD--which I listed as lower priority so it would just find a later time to record. I have to check all the time, then view upcoming, and record it myself. Which would be just a mild hassle, but I work long hours and don't catch it all the time. Any way to fix this?

I have an HR-22 and lately it cancels programs saying it has a conflict with a higher priority--but the one it's cancelling has multiple times--like on Showtime or AMCHD or FXHD--which I listed as lower priority so it would just find a later time to record. I have to check all the time, then view upcoming, and record it myself. Which would be just a mild hassle, but I work long hours and don't catch it all the time. Any way to fix this?

In To Do list, dvr will not look for later times for programs?

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 17, 2013 11:00:31 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Have you ever just tried leaving it alone?   Even if those next airings don't appear in the To Do List, they should record.  Mine do.

Have you ever just tried leaving it alone?   Even if those next airings don't appear in the To Do List, they should record.  Mine do.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: In To Do list, dvr will not look for later times for programs?

2 of 8 (0 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 17, 2013 11:51:07 PM
(0)
Tutor

Yes, and sometimes it does record later, but sometimes I find it in the History as not recorded because of the conflicting higher priority program. If it's one of my favorite programs, I don't want to risk it not recording.

>

Yes, and sometimes it does record later, but sometimes I find it in the History as not recorded because of the conflicting higher priority program. If it's one of my favorite programs, I don't want to risk it not recording.

>

3 of 8 (0 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 18, 2013 3:22:49 AM
(0)
Expert

Try a red button (inside card door) reset of the DVR.  As a rule, the problem you're having does not occur in isolation on a DVR.  They usually fail wholesale, not a program failing to record here or there.  A lot of folks over manage their "to do" list and scramble to try to get it to show what they are seeking when if your priorities are set properly and you have the available tuner, the system will tend itself.

Keep in mind that a lot of programs run over the hour by a minute or two, thus making that tuner unavailable in the following hour.  A Genie with it's five tuners is a great addition to a system.  Last night at 9PM, all five of my Genie's tuners were busy recording.

Try a red button (inside card door) reset of the DVR.  As a rule, the problem you're having does not occur in isolation on a DVR.  They usually fail wholesale, not a program failing to record here or there.  A lot of folks over manage their "to do" list and scramble to try to get it to show what they are seeking when if your priorities are set properly and you have the available tuner, the system will tend itself.

Keep in mind that a lot of programs run over the hour by a minute or two, thus making that tuner unavailable in the following hour.  A Genie with it's five tuners is a great addition to a system.  Last night at 9PM, all five of my Genie's tuners were busy recording.

4 of 8 (0 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 18, 2013 4:51:29 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

It should always record later. We often get posts like yours concerned about the way the DVR works. If you have a program that is of lower priority, and there are already two programs recording, it will show as cancelled. Then when the next available showing comes up, it will record, even if it does not show in the to-do list.  Just try it and see.

It should always record later. We often get posts like yours concerned about the way the DVR works. If you have a program that is of lower priority, and there are already two programs recording, it will show as cancelled. Then when the next available showing comes up, it will record, even if it does not show in the to-do list.  Just try it and see.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 8 (0 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 18, 2013 5:37:22 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Also keep in mind that the series link for a particular show will only record on the channel that the series  was set up for.  It was not detect repeats on another channel.
Also keep in mind that the series link for a particular show will only record on the channel that the series  was set up for.  It was not detect repeats on another channel.

6 of 8 (0 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 18, 2013 10:34:04 AM
(0)
Tutor

I probably am guilty of 'over-managing' my dvr, but I have on occasion missed some of my favorite programs because of this--the dvr didn't record a later showing even though there were several available. But you guys are right; most of the time it'll record later, not showing it in the To Do list. Thinking about upgrading to Genie, so maybe it won't be an issue anyway hopefully. I'll just keep an eye on it. Thanks for your help, everyone.

I probably am guilty of 'over-managing' my dvr, but I have on occasion missed some of my favorite programs because of this--the dvr didn't record a later showing even though there were several available. But you guys are right; most of the time it'll record later, not showing it in the To Do list. Thinking about upgrading to Genie, so maybe it won't be an issue anyway hopefully. I'll just keep an eye on it. Thanks for your help, everyone.

7 of 8 (0 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 18, 2013 10:35:31 AM
(0)
Tutor

Yes, and I wish they'd stop adding that minute--it does mess things up sometimes.

Yes, and I wish they'd stop adding that minute--it does mess things up sometimes.

8 of 8 (0 Views)