Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Forum

Posted Apr 24, 2014
7:55:16 AM
View profile
I'm trying to set up receiver at my cabin, direct says can't have it outside of my main residence! When did they change that??? Get error 775

Ive been on the phone with direct for 5 days, I get a different answer each time I talk to someone! they had my wife shut the electric off to my main residence to reset everything.  That didn't work, they said I needed to reset the swim box, she couldn't find the swim converter so they her power down whole house to reset it! That didn't work still get error 775.  when I called this morning, Now they tell me policy has changed and you need a new account to have tv at my cabin! I've talked to atleast 5 different people and no one told me that till today. 

Im so frustrated with Direct TV! I can't get a technician to come out either, since they will only come to my residence, not to my cabin! Then she said if I have tv at the cabin then the house tv will not work..if I keep on same account?!?! 

Please any suggestions!?

Ive been on the phone with direct for 5 days, I get a different answer each time I talk to someone! they had my wife shut the electric off to my main residence to reset everything.  That didn't work, they said I needed to reset the swim box, she couldn't find the swim converter so they her power down whole house to reset it! That didn't work still get error 775.  when I called this morning, Now they tell me policy has changed and you need a new account to have tv at my cabin! I've talked to atleast 5 different people and no one told me that till today. 

Im so frustrated with Direct TV! I can't get a technician to come out either, since they will only come to my residence, not to my cabin! Then she said if I have tv at the cabin then the house tv will not work..if I keep on same account?!?! 

Please any suggestions!?

I'm trying to set up receiver at my cabin, direct says can't have it outside of my main residence! When did they change that??? Get error 775

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2014 8:07:16 AM
(0)
Mentor

What model receiver is it?  Model number is behind the door with the access card.

What model receiver is it?  Model number is behind the door with the access card.

Re: I'm trying to set up receiver at my cabin, direct says can't have it outside of my main residence! When did they change that??? Get error 775

2 of 8 (1,390 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2014 9:08:02 AM
(0)
Administrator

Some CSR's will turn the other eye, but some are strict policy followers.

When you have multiple homes.. For instance a residence, and a vacation home..

You are allowed to have receivers in both locations.

The rules beyond that become a little fuzzy. You cannot mirror receivers into separate locations. So either your "home" receivers must be active, or your cabin receviers must be active. Not both ways.

AGAIN, even if this was that way in the past, those are the actual rules, and some CSR's will acknowledge it, and some don't even realize it's a policy.

The best way would to be to deactivate your receivers at home, that way you are free to have services active @ cabin, without the hassle.

After that, whatever error/osd you're getting, would need to be troubleshooted accordingly.

Some CSR's will turn the other eye, but some are strict policy followers.

When you have multiple homes.. For instance a residence, and a vacation home..

You are allowed to have receivers in both locations.

The rules beyond that become a little fuzzy. You cannot mirror receivers into separate locations. So either your "home" receivers must be active, or your cabin receviers must be active. Not both ways.

AGAIN, even if this was that way in the past, those are the actual rules, and some CSR's will acknowledge it, and some don't even realize it's a policy.

The best way would to be to deactivate your receivers at home, that way you are free to have services active @ cabin, without the hassle.

After that, whatever error/osd you're getting, would need to be troubleshooted accordingly.

Re: I'm trying to set up receiver at my cabin, direct says can't have it outside of my main residence! When did they change that??? Get error 775

3 of 8 (1,390 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2014 9:16:34 AM
(0)
Guru

Easy set up a DirecTV movers connection leave out all the other

Details.

Just tell them you moved and get it installed at that location.when you

Are done with vacation take it home

And update your service adress

Easy set up a DirecTV movers connection leave out all the other

Details.

Just tell them you moved and get it installed at that location.when you

Are done with vacation take it home

And update your service adress

Re: I'm trying to set up receiver at my cabin, direct says can't have it outside of my main residence! When did they change that???  Get error 775

4 of 8 (1,390 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2014 9:20:48 AM
(0)
Tutor

Direct TV has made a lot of RV'ers pretty mad. If you leave your home

area over 250 miles you will not be able to get your local channels.

After going thru a lot of doubletalk you will be told you need to

re-register with a Mobil account!! Sounds simple...it's not. You

have to register your RV, personal info etc, this is done by SNAIL

MAIL...no e-mails, fax's. It takes 3-4 wks. then you are given

either EAST COAST or WEST COAST LOCAL depending on

were you live. It's a nightmare. Setting up a RV account doesn't

work anymore past the 250 miles from home. And to add to the

pain they charge you extra for the Mobil Account to receive what

you already pay for anyways. A lot of RV'ers are switching to

you now who!!

Direct TV has made a lot of RV'ers pretty mad. If you leave your home

area over 250 miles you will not be able to get your local channels.

After going thru a lot of doubletalk you will be told you need to

re-register with a Mobil account!! Sounds simple...it's not. You

have to register your RV, personal info etc, this is done by SNAIL

MAIL...no e-mails, fax's. It takes 3-4 wks. then you are given

either EAST COAST or WEST COAST LOCAL depending on

were you live. It's a nightmare. Setting up a RV account doesn't

work anymore past the 250 miles from home. And to add to the

pain they charge you extra for the Mobil Account to receive what

you already pay for anyways. A lot of RV'ers are switching to

you now who!!

Re: I'm trying to set up receiver at my cabin, direct says can't have it outside of my main residence! When did they change that???  Get error 775

5 of 8 (1,390 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2014 11:11:49 AM
(0)
Employee

They are mad because of their ignorance!  It is illegal for DirecTV to offer LiL to other markets then then the one you lice in and to top it off, LiL are on spot beam transponders.

They are mad because of their ignorance!  It is illegal for DirecTV to offer LiL to other markets then then the one you lice in and to top it off, LiL are on spot beam transponders.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

6 of 8 (1,390 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2014 3:01:25 PM
(0)
Professor

An error code 775 means "Problem Communicating with dish". This is most likely caused by an SWM power inserter not being plugged in.  It has nothing to do with multiple locations, account status, etc.  So your basic problem is a problem with your system or the system set up.

As to having receivers at home, and at a cabin location, the terms of service only permit you to use DirecTV service at one location at any given time (under one account).  But that is a policy, not technical, restriction.  We'll assume for the moment that you are in fact only trying to use service at one location at any given time. If that isn't the case, then you do need to set up a second account for your cabin.

If you took a receiver from home and moved it to your cabin, make sure that both dishes are the same type and same technology (SWiM or legacy/multiswitch).  You will have to go back through satellite setup on your receiver if the dishes are not the same.  If they are the same, and are both SWM type dishes, then make sure you have a power inserter as part of your setup at your cabin, and that it is properly installed with the two coax connectors connected to the proper equipment (they are not the same).

An error code 775 means "Problem Communicating with dish". This is most likely caused by an SWM power inserter not being plugged in.  It has nothing to do with multiple locations, account status, etc.  So your basic problem is a problem with your system or the system set up.

As to having receivers at home, and at a cabin location, the terms of service only permit you to use DirecTV service at one location at any given time (under one account).  But that is a policy, not technical, restriction.  We'll assume for the moment that you are in fact only trying to use service at one location at any given time. If that isn't the case, then you do need to set up a second account for your cabin.

If you took a receiver from home and moved it to your cabin, make sure that both dishes are the same type and same technology (SWiM or legacy/multiswitch).  You will have to go back through satellite setup on your receiver if the dishes are not the same.  If they are the same, and are both SWM type dishes, then make sure you have a power inserter as part of your setup at your cabin, and that it is properly installed with the two coax connectors connected to the proper equipment (they are not the same).

7 of 8 (1,390 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2014 3:36:00 AM
(0)
Expert

I'd wager your 775 problem is due to your removing the Power Inserter from your home and taking it to the cabin.  See link for pic of PI.

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?mc=02&p=PI-21&d=DIRECTV-PI21-21V-1.5A-Power-Inserter-for-SWimLi... Power Supplies&sku=185463000894

You can disregard the post regarding losing local channels when traveling away from home.  That is a technical limitation as all local channels are broadcast on a "spot beam" which restricts reception to the appropriate geographic area.  And, even if it weren't, as previously posted it is illegal for Directv to provide local coverage outside the local stations licensed area.

I'd wager your 775 problem is due to your removing the Power Inserter from your home and taking it to the cabin.  See link for pic of PI.

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?mc=02&p=PI-21&d=DIRECTV-PI21-21V-1.5A-Power-Inserter-for-SWimLine-dish-(PI21)&c=Multiswitch Power Supplies&sku=185463000894

You can disregard the post regarding losing local channels when traveling away from home.  That is a technical limitation as all local channels are broadcast on a "spot beam" which restricts reception to the appropriate geographic area.  And, even if it weren't, as previously posted it is illegal for Directv to provide local coverage outside the local stations licensed area.

8 of 8 (1,390 Views)