Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Forum

Posted Aug 10, 2014
5:10:04 PM
How do I switch to tv when direct tv isn't working

We get really bad storms and the famous 771 searching for satellite error comes on. Since we have more tvs than receivers and we have internet for 10 dollars more I get to have cable service with my internet. How do I switch from satellite connection and use my cable on the tvs hooked up to direct tv. I tried to put it in TV mode versus HTM1 and switch it to tv input but couldn't get satellite off and cable tv on.

Thanks for any help for a rookie. My receivers are hr -34 and hr 22-100

We get really bad storms and the famous 771 searching for satellite error comes on. Since we have more tvs than receivers and we have internet for 10 dollars more I get to have cable service with my internet. How do I switch from satellite connection and use my cable on the tvs hooked up to direct tv. I tried to put it in TV mode versus HTM1 and switch it to tv input but couldn't get satellite off and cable tv on.

Thanks for any help for a rookie. My receivers are hr -34 and hr 22-100

How do I switch to tv when direct tv isn't working

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 10, 2014 5:25:05 PM
(0)
Professor

Most likely you would need the cable box connected to another TV input then just switch to it when needed, if it is a basic no set top box needed service then possibly direct connecting the coax to the TV so long as it has a digital tuner then using the TV ant/cable setting.

There are also HDMI switches that can allow a single HDMI TV to have more inputs just make sure it is HDCP compatible.

Most likely you would need the cable box connected to another TV input then just switch to it when needed, if it is a basic no set top box needed service then possibly direct connecting the coax to the TV so long as it has a digital tuner then using the TV ant/cable setting.

There are also HDMI switches that can allow a single HDMI TV to have more inputs just make sure it is HDCP compatible.

Re: How do I switch to tv when direct tv isn't working

2 of 8 (19 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 10, 2014 6:33:05 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Can you receive any stations using an old-fashioned off-air antenna?  

How often do you lose your satellite channels?   Even in a "bad storm", the outage should only last a few minutes at most, assuming your dish is properly aimed/aligned.

Can you receive any stations using an old-fashioned off-air antenna?  

How often do you lose your satellite channels?   Even in a "bad storm", the outage should only last a few minutes at most, assuming your dish is properly aimed/aligned.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 8 (19 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 10, 2014 7:14:56 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

As shannon says, most cable companies now require a STB to receive any of their programing

As shannon says, most cable companies now require a STB to receive any of their programing

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 8 (19 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2015 1:04:41 AM
(0)
Contributor

please Assist me so that may be able to reconnect

please Assist me so that may be able to reconnect

5 of 8 (19 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2015 5:16:25 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Please start a new thread and provide as much information as possible.

Please start a new thread and provide as much information as possible.

6 of 8 (19 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2015 5:34:00 AM
(0)
Guru

1. If you have a cable tv box attached to your TV - Using the TV remote - Change it to that input the cable box is connected too.

2. If you have cable internet & Basic Cable TV included - You would need to Split the Cable modem RG6 (with a cable supplied Splitter and then run a rg6 to your TV -Turner RG6 input - Then again using the TV remote Change the input to the TV -tuner.

3. If you have a Playstation or XBOX Connected you can use the cable company App to get content from the internet - Again Using the TV remote Change the TV input  to the GAME input on your TV.

1. If you have a cable tv box attached to your TV - Using the TV remote - Change it to that input the cable box is connected too.

2. If you have cable internet & Basic Cable TV included - You would need to Split the Cable modem RG6 (with a cable supplied Splitter and then run a rg6 to your TV -Turner RG6 input - Then again using the TV remote Change the input to the TV -tuner.

3. If you have a Playstation or XBOX Connected you can use the cable company App to get content from the internet - Again Using the TV remote Change the TV input  to the GAME input on your TV.

7 of 8 (19 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2015 8:07:36 AM
(0)
Tutor

You can't get cable TV on a TV that isn't connected to cable tv. You either need another cable box or move one of your boxes to that TV.

You can't get cable TV on a TV that isn't connected to cable tv. You either need another cable box or move one of your boxes to that TV.

8 of 8 (19 Views)