Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Community

Posted Aug 22, 2013
2:02:31 PM
View profile
How do I setup a D12-700 receiver with a slimline dish?

I recently moved a D12-700 receiver that I kept in my garage to my shop 2 miles down the road. The shop has already been equipped with a Directv Slimline 3LNB Dish. I have tried to everything to get this set up. Is there something I am doing wrong?

I recently moved a D12-700 receiver that I kept in my garage to my shop 2 miles down the road. The shop has already been equipped with a Directv Slimline 3LNB Dish. I have tried to everything to get this set up. Is there something I am doing wrong?

How do I setup a D12-700 receiver with a slimline dish?

19 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(19)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 22, 2013 2:06:51 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Connect the receiver to the dish and when it gets to acquire the satellite signals press the EXIT button and repeat the satellite settings as follow

Here are the steps to change the dish settings.

From the Menu

Using the Arrow buttons navigate to - select Parental, Favorites, Setup - press Select button

Using the Arrow buttons navigate to highlight - select System Set Up - press Select button

Using the Arrow buttons navigate to highlight - select Satellite - press Select button

Using the Arrow buttons navigate to highlight - select Repeat Satellite Setup - press Select button

Follow the on screen instructions and press the - Dash button

A new screen will be shown

Use the Arrow buttons navigate to Switch - then press the Select button

In the drop-down box use the Arrow buttons to highlight  02 Multiswitch then press Select button

Use the Arrow buttons and highlight Dish Type - press the Select button

In the drop-down box use the Arrow buttons to highlight 01-18" round then press the Select button

Use the Arrow buttons to navigate to Continue until you can hight light - Watch DirectTV

Connect the receiver to the dish and when it gets to acquire the satellite signals press the EXIT button and repeat the satellite settings as follow

Here are the steps to change the dish settings.

From the Menu

Using the Arrow buttons navigate to - select Parental, Favorites, Setup - press Select button

Using the Arrow buttons navigate to highlight - select System Set Up - press Select button

Using the Arrow buttons navigate to highlight - select Satellite - press Select button

Using the Arrow buttons navigate to highlight - select Repeat Satellite Setup - press Select button

Follow the on screen instructions and press the - Dash button

A new screen will be shown

Use the Arrow buttons navigate to Switch - then press the Select button

In the drop-down box use the Arrow buttons to highlight  02 Multiswitch then press Select button

Use the Arrow buttons and highlight Dish Type - press the Select button

In the drop-down box use the Arrow buttons to highlight 01-18" round then press the Select button

Use the Arrow buttons to navigate to Continue until you can hight light - Watch DirectTV

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: How do I setup a D12-700 receiver with a slimline dish?

2 of 20 (203 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 22, 2013 2:07:56 PM
(0)
Tutor

Will this work by selecting the 18" round dish? Is that the same as a Slimline 3LNB?

Will this work by selecting the 18" round dish? Is that the same as a Slimline 3LNB?

3 of 20 (203 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 22, 2013 2:30:39 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Yes, you  should select Slimily 3LNB.

Yes, you  should select Slimily 3LNB.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 20 (203 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 22, 2013 2:34:45 PM
(0)
Tutor

I'm sorry! I'm completely new at this and trying to learn. I've done quite a  bit of research to no avail.

I'm sorry! I'm completely new at this and trying to learn. I've done quite a  bit of research to no avail.

5 of 20 (203 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 22, 2013 2:35:44 PM
(0)
Tutor

Is there anything in particular I should check on the dish itself to the wiring on the house beforehand? Everything was previously set-up from the owners before

Is there anything in particular I should check on the dish itself to the wiring on the house beforehand? Everything was previously set-up from the owners before

6 of 20 (203 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 22, 2013 2:45:21 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Well, make sure the coax you are suing is actually going to the dish

Well, make sure the coax you are suing is actually going to the dish

7 of 20 (203 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 22, 2013 2:47:01 PM
(0)
Tutor

Yes, I was aware of that. I just wasn't sure if there was anything else I needed to check as in lnb's or anything else! Thank you!

Yes, I was aware of that. I just wasn't sure if there was anything else I needed to check as in lnb's or anything else! Thank you!

8 of 20 (203 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 22, 2013 2:49:07 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

You are welcome

If you think your question was resolved, please mark the question as answered. Thanks!

You are welcome

If you think your question was resolved, please mark the question as answered. Thanks!

9 of 20 (203 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2013 4:32:22 AM
(0)
Expert

On the Slimline dish look at the coax outputs. (see link 1)  There will be either one or four.  If four then you can connect a coax from any one of the outputs to the input on the D12.  If one, then it's a SWM dish and will require a power inserter (see link 2) in the coax between the dish and the D12.

DIRECTV SL3-SWM SlimLine Single Wire Ka/Ku Triple LNB With Built-In Multiswitch (SL3-SWM) from Solid...

DIRECTV PI-21 21V 1.5A Power Inserter for SWimLine dish (PI-21) from Solid Signal

On the Slimline dish look at the coax outputs. (see link 1)  There will be either one or four.  If four then you can connect a coax from any one of the outputs to the input on the D12.  If one, then it's a SWM dish and will require a power inserter (see link 2) in the coax between the dish and the D12.

DIRECTV SL3-SWM SlimLine Single Wire Ka/Ku Triple LNB With Built-In Multiswitch (SL3-SWM) from Solid Signal

DIRECTV PI-21 21V 1.5A Power Inserter for SWimLine dish (PI-21) from Solid Signal

10 of 20 (203 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2013 9:57:15 AM
(0)
Tutor

Am I not just able to run the coax directly from the dish straight into the receiver? The way it is set up now it runs into a SWM splitter with 4 outputs.  So, does this mean I must require a power inserter?

Am I not just able to run the coax directly from the dish straight into the receiver? The way it is set up now it runs into a SWM splitter with 4 outputs.  So, does this mean I must require a power inserter?

11 of 20 (203 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2013 11:29:16 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Then you have a SWM dish.  if the dish is already working then the PI is already installed and you do not need another one.  But the question now is, how many and what type of receivers are already connected to that SWM dish.

if you have a SWM LNB, that only supports 8 tuners

Then you have a SWM dish.  if the dish is already working then the PI is already installed and you do not need another one.  But the question now is, how many and what type of receivers are already connected to that SWM dish.

if you have a SWM LNB, that only supports 8 tuners

12 of 20 (203 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2013 12:32:01 PM
(0)
Tutor

The dish was there before I purchased the property.

The previous occupants stated the Dish worked fine. I'm not sure what receivers or system they were running.

All I want to do is hook up the D12-700 receiver to the satellite and watch it on one tv.

There are coax cable runs under ground into a splitter that has 4 outputs coming out.

The error message I receiver when I try to set it up says 49-962. NO SWM channels. Too many tuners connected to the coax.

The dish was there before I purchased the property.

The previous occupants stated the Dish worked fine. I'm not sure what receivers or system they were running.

All I want to do is hook up the D12-700 receiver to the satellite and watch it on one tv.

There are coax cable runs under ground into a splitter that has 4 outputs coming out.

The error message I receiver when I try to set it up says 49-962. NO SWM channels. Too many tuners connected to the coax.

13 of 20 (203 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2013 12:33:28 PM
(0)
Tutor

Would it just be easier if I got an older dish that is compatible with the D12-700 SD receiver and wired it straight to the receiver?

Would it just be easier if I got an older dish that is compatible with the D12-700 SD receiver and wired it straight to the receiver?

14 of 20 (203 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2013 12:40:55 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Sure.

Sure.

15 of 20 (203 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2013 12:41:45 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

it looks like this dish is being used and it has no more channels for your D12.  better for you to get an SD dish dish and forget about this dish

it looks like this dish is being used and it has no more channels for your D12.  better for you to get an SD dish dish and forget about this dish

16 of 20 (203 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2013 1:15:02 PM
(0)
Tutor

How would the dish be used if I'm the only occupant on this property?

How would the dish be used if I'm the only occupant on this property?

17 of 20 (203 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2013 1:22:48 PM
(0)
Professor

Someone may have added another splitter and is using the dish.

Someone may have added another splitter and is using the dish.

18 of 20 (203 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2013 1:38:15 PM
(0)
Tutor

You mean at a totally different location??  I'm trying to understand. There is no one else on this property using the coax cables coming from the dish. I'm just trying to figure out what I need to do to get this working.

You mean at a totally different location??  I'm trying to understand. There is no one else on this property using the coax cables coming from the dish. I'm just trying to figure out what I need to do to get this working.

19 of 20 (203 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2013 3:15:49 PM
(0)
Professor

You can run a separate coax to the dish and cut that coax in use or remove it and any splitters and just connect the SWM power inserter "to SWM" to that new coax and then a coax from the other port to the D12.

You can run a separate coax to the dish and cut that coax in use or remove it and any splitters and just connect the SWM power inserter "to SWM" to that new coax and then a coax from the other port to the D12.

20 of 20 (203 Views)