Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Forum

Posted Jul 16, 2013
12:32:00 PM
View profile
HR34 vs. HR44

Hey all, I've had my HR34-700 for a few months and love it.  I learned that there is now the HR44.  Among other improvements, it's said to have a faster processor that makes everything faster with the unit.  Just wondering if this is true, and has anyone compared the two?  I'm paying $25 a month for the Genie, and want the best one possible.  Thanks.

Hey all, I've had my HR34-700 for a few months and love it.  I learned that there is now the HR44.  Among other improvements, it's said to have a faster processor that makes everything faster with the unit.  Just wondering if this is true, and has anyone compared the two?  I'm paying $25 a month for the Genie, and want the best one possible.  Thanks.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Jul 16, 2013 7:34:46 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

While is true, the HR34 is not a snail either.  The difference is minuscule.  and you cannot upgrade from an HR34 to a 44 via DirecTV, you will have to pay the full lease price via a 3rd party authorized dealer

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Accepted Solution

HR34 vs. HR44

15 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(15)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2013 5:33:19 PM
(0)
Scholar

You're paying $25 a month for your Genie HR34-700?  I got the same unit in April and I'm only being charged $10 a month. 

You're paying $25 a month for your Genie HR34-700?  I got the same unit in April and I'm only being charged $10 a month. 

Re: HR34 vs. HR44

2 of 16 (2,155 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Jul 16, 2013 7:34:46 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

While is true, the HR34 is not a snail either.  The difference is minuscule.  and you cannot upgrade from an HR34 to a 44 via DirecTV, you will have to pay the full lease price via a 3rd party authorized dealer

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 16 (2,155 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 17, 2013 4:06:14 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

$25 a month is the combined fee for DVR, HD and whole home - you are probably paying for these separately, new customers pay the combined fee.

$25 a month is the combined fee for DVR, HD and whole home - you are probably paying for these separately, new customers pay the combined fee.

4 of 16 (2,155 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 17, 2013 4:49:08 PM
(0)
Scholar

I'm being billed $10 for "Advanced Receiver-HD Monthly", $10 for "Advanced Receiver-DVR Monthly" and $3 for whole home service.  I have an HR34-700 and an HR22-100.   I assumed one of the $10 charges was for the HR34 and the other for the HR22.  Now I'm beginning to think I'm not paying anything for the HR22 other than a $6 charge for "Additional TV".   Does that sound right?   (And, no, I'm not going to call billing for an answer ... I don't want to call attention to myself.  :smileymischief: ) 

I'm being billed $10 for "Advanced Receiver-HD Monthly", $10 for "Advanced Receiver-DVR Monthly" and $3 for whole home service.  I have an HR34-700 and an HR22-100.   I assumed one of the $10 charges was for the HR34 and the other for the HR22.  Now I'm beginning to think I'm not paying anything for the HR22 other than a $6 charge for "Additional TV".   Does that sound right?   (And, no, I'm not going to call billing for an answer ... I don't want to call attention to myself.  :smileymischief: ) 

5 of 16 (2,155 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 17, 2013 8:04:27 PM
(0)
Professor

I've used both the HR34 and HR44 side by side and compared them. Yes, the HR44 is slightly faster, but in my personal opinion there is not enough difference to justify getting a 44 over a 34, especially if you already have a 34. As peds48 noted, it will be a costly upgrade for you if you choose to do so.

I've used both the HR34 and HR44 side by side and compared them. Yes, the HR44 is slightly faster, but in my personal opinion there is not enough difference to justify getting a 44 over a 34, especially if you already have a 34. As peds48 noted, it will be a costly upgrade for you if you choose to do so.

6 of 16 (2,155 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 17, 2013 8:11:34 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

No, the "advanced Receiver HD" and "advanced receiver DVR" and WHDVR are only charged once on your bill and covers the ALL of DVRs and and HD receivers on your account.

No, the "advanced Receiver HD" and "advanced receiver DVR" and WHDVR are only charged once on your bill and covers the ALL of DVRs and and HD receivers on your account.

7 of 16 (2,155 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 19, 2013 3:39:14 PM
(0)
Contributor

I became a direcTV customer this past July (2013) and was given an HR34. Should I have been given the HR44? I am not so much interested in the speed difference, but the inclusion of wireless access in the HR44.

I became a direcTV customer this past July (2013) and was given an HR34. Should I have been given the HR44? I am not so much interested in the speed difference, but the inclusion of wireless access in the HR44.

8 of 16 (2,155 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 19, 2013 3:42:14 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

DirecTV does not guarantee specific model numbers.  But the tech should of have connected the HR34 to the Internet either via wired DECA BB device (preferred) or the alternate wireless connection kit.

DirecTV does not guarantee specific model numbers.  But the tech should of have connected the HR34 to the Internet either via wired DECA BB device (preferred) or the alternate wireless connection kit.

9 of 16 (2,155 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 19, 2013 10:38:42 PM
(0)
Professor

DirecTV considers both the HR34 and the HR44 to be Genie units. Either could be provided on a Genie upgrade or replacement. It just depends on what is on the installers truck and what is in the local warehouse. If you want a guarantee of a specific model, you need to obtain it through  a third party vendor such as Solid Signal.

DirecTV considers both the HR34 and the HR44 to be Genie units. Either could be provided on a Genie upgrade or replacement. It just depends on what is on the installers truck and what is in the local warehouse. If you want a guarantee of a specific model, you need to obtain it through  a third party vendor such as Solid Signal.

10 of 16 (2,155 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 20, 2013 4:39:26 AM
(0)
Expert

The HR44 was only available in limited areas in July.  And, in my setup I wouldn't take a HR44 in exchange for my HR34.  Why?  Because the HR44 will not operate in RF mode with the old style remotes, and I don't like the new remote's lack of colored buttons.

The HR44 was only available in limited areas in July.  And, in my setup I wouldn't take a HR44 in exchange for my HR34.  Why?  Because the HR44 will not operate in RF mode with the old style remotes, and I don't like the new remote's lack of colored buttons.

11 of 16 (2,155 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 20, 2013 6:55:53 AM
(1)
Mentor
FeaturesHR34HR44
Record Up To 5 Programs At The Same TimeYesYes
Picture-in-PictureYesYes
1TB of Storage – Store Up To 200 Hours of HD ProgrammingYesYes
Whole-Home Support of Up To 4 Active Rooms (including the Server for HR44)YesYes
Built in support for cardless/boxless DIRECTV service (RVU)YesYes
P6 Access CardYesYes
Ethernet JackYesYes
Front Panel Touch Sensor/Resolution LEDsYesYes
Built-in DECAYesYes
SWiM compatibleYesYes
Digital Audio Out COAXYesYes
External DC Power Supply SupportedNoYes
Integrated Wi-Fi (For connection to the Internet)NoYes
Digital Audio Out OpticalNoYes
RF4CE support for remote programming and RF mode (e.g., RC71)NoYes
XMP2 Support for remote programmingYesNo
Rear Panel IR Remote ExtenderYesNo
FeaturesHR34HR44
Record Up To 5 Programs At The Same TimeYesYes
Picture-in-PictureYesYes
1TB of Storage – Store Up To 200 Hours of HD ProgrammingYesYes
Whole-Home Support of Up To 4 Active Rooms (including the Server for HR44)YesYes
Built in support for cardless/boxless DIRECTV service (RVU)YesYes
P6 Access CardYesYes
Ethernet JackYesYes
Front Panel Touch Sensor/Resolution LEDsYesYes
Built-in DECAYesYes
SWiM compatibleYesYes
Digital Audio Out COAXYesYes
External DC Power Supply SupportedNoYes
Integrated Wi-Fi (For connection to the Internet)NoYes
Digital Audio Out OpticalNoYes
RF4CE support for remote programming and RF mode (e.g., RC71)NoYes
XMP2 Support for remote programmingYesNo
Rear Panel IR Remote ExtenderYesNo

12 of 16 (2,155 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 28, 2014 7:10:31 AM
(0)
Mentor

I have just upgraded from the HR34-700 to an HR44-700 and it is tremendously faster - the menus pop up instantly now, where with the HR34 the were always delayed and when scrolling on the HR34, if a movie banner came up the menu would stutter and get slow (very annoying) on the HR44 it smoothly scrolls right through them.  From an interactivity standpoint, and in the words of a DTV supervisor, the HR44 is "night and day" faster than the HR34.

Another major improvement on the HR44 over the HR34 is the speed of FF/REW/PLAY/PAUSE - in the HR34, it would always be behind the interaction - when I hit FF then PLAY, it would hesitate and sometimes would lose it's place in the content.  These problems are completely absent on the HR44.

Bottom line: the HR44 is MUCH faster than the HR34 on everything but channel changes which are only slightly faster. As to whether it's worth the upgrade and what DTV (and fanboys) say about it - that's a different story you can see profiled in the post on "DIRECTV whole home DVR service" -> "HR44 Genie is 300% faster than HR34, why does DTV deny it?"

I have just upgraded from the HR34-700 to an HR44-700 and it is tremendously faster - the menus pop up instantly now, where with the HR34 the were always delayed and when scrolling on the HR34, if a movie banner came up the menu would stutter and get slow (very annoying) on the HR44 it smoothly scrolls right through them.  From an interactivity standpoint, and in the words of a DTV supervisor, the HR44 is "night and day" faster than the HR34.

Another major improvement on the HR44 over the HR34 is the speed of FF/REW/PLAY/PAUSE - in the HR34, it would always be behind the interaction - when I hit FF then PLAY, it would hesitate and sometimes would lose it's place in the content.  These problems are completely absent on the HR44.

Bottom line: the HR44 is MUCH faster than the HR34 on everything but channel changes which are only slightly faster. As to whether it's worth the upgrade and what DTV (and fanboys) say about it - that's a different story you can see profiled in the post on "DIRECTV whole home DVR service" -> "HR44 Genie is 300% faster than HR34, why does DTV deny it?"

13 of 16 (2,155 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 16, 2015 12:01:55 PM
(0)
Contributor

Just to clear this up the HR34 is junk compaired to the 44.  The differance is night and day when going through the menus and guide.  I was a new customer coming from a Cable TIVO and was very unhappy with the 34 did some research and found out about the 44.  It took me about 5 phone calls of haivng direct tv agents lie to me telling me there was no differance before one time I called and happend to get the right person who imidiatly agreed that the 34 was slow and problamtic.  3 days later I had a 44 in my home all fees waived and I am more than happy now.  It has not even loaded everything yet and its better by far.  Dont let direct tv tell you there is no differance. Hopefully ATTs merger will help with their B-S and they will have better quility control and customer service.  

Hope this helps. I spent weeks and hours on the phone doing research with direct tv in order to beomce happy with the service.  

Just to clear this up the HR34 is junk compaired to the 44.  The differance is night and day when going through the menus and guide.  I was a new customer coming from a Cable TIVO and was very unhappy with the 34 did some research and found out about the 44.  It took me about 5 phone calls of haivng direct tv agents lie to me telling me there was no differance before one time I called and happend to get the right person who imidiatly agreed that the 34 was slow and problamtic.  3 days later I had a 44 in my home all fees waived and I am more than happy now.  It has not even loaded everything yet and its better by far.  Dont let direct tv tell you there is no differance. Hopefully ATTs merger will help with their B-S and they will have better quility control and customer service.  

Hope this helps. I spent weeks and hours on the phone doing research with direct tv in order to beomce happy with the service.  

14 of 16 (2,066 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 16, 2015 8:50:20 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by cnaran36 on Dec 16, 2015 at 8:53:35 PM

The worst thing to happen to DirecTV & its customers was for AT&T to acquire it.  AT&T has a strong reputation for charging the highest rates in the industry & that wont change here.  I was offered the NFL package @ $10/month X 6 YES over the phone only to get billed $59.99 X6 & AT&T refuses to change it, I even went to Federal Utilities Commission (what a joke & waste of taxpayer $$$) so you hit em where it hurts most YES in their pockets by dropping em go prey on someone else AT&T. BTW i have an HR24-100 but got a 4k UHD TV for the time being i will get an HR44-700 or better if it exist but I have to talk to AT&T unfortunately to get it.  Good luck.

The worst thing to happen to DirecTV & its customers was for AT&T to acquire it.  AT&T has a strong reputation for charging the highest rates in the industry & that wont change here.  I was offered the NFL package @ $10/month X 6 YES over the phone only to get billed $59.99 X6 & AT&T refuses to change it, I even went to Federal Utilities Commission (what a joke & waste of taxpayer $$$) so you hit em where it hurts most YES in their pockets by dropping em go prey on someone else AT&T. BTW i have an HR24-100 but got a 4k UHD TV for the time being i will get an HR44-700 or better if it exist but I have to talk to AT&T unfortunately to get it.  Good luck.

[ Edited ]
15 of 16 (1,998 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 16, 2015 9:07:04 PM
(0)
Master
Edited by shannon02 on Dec 16, 2015 at 9:08:40 PM

You need a Genie and a C61K mini to get 4K unless the TV has RVU.

You need a Genie and a C61K mini to get 4K unless the TV has RVU.

[ Edited ]
16 of 16 (1,991 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments