Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Forum

Posted May 26, 2013
6:32:12 PM
HR34 / Genie DVR Functionality Problems (Freezing / Lockup)

(I also posted this question in the Whole-Home DVR forum. I'm reposting here in case this is the more appropriate forum to address my problem.)

Hello,

During the last three weeks (i.e., roughly since the latest software upgrade), I've begun to experience glitches with the DVR controls on my HR34 / Genie box. The glitches manifest themselves in different ways. Sometimes, if I've recorded a show, when I try to watch the show, it will work for about three seconds and then lock up. Sometimes, if I try to pause or rewind live TV, the DVR will let me pause or rewind, but then it will lock up when I try to "play" it. 

This is strictly a matter of the DVR controls locking up; I'm not experiencing any problems with the broadcast signal. Also, I'm not getting any error messages, and the box repeatedly passes the "system test" thing.

Notably, when I hit the reset button, the glitches go away for about a day. But, they inevitably always recur. So, I find that I've been resetting my box about once a day for the last three weeks. 

I've called DirecTV twice about the problem, and they haven't been able to make a permanent fix. (We get the DVR to work during the call, but the problems recur a day later.) The second time, the guy talked me into buying the warranty and having a technician come out. However, I'm having second thoughts about that advice and expense, and I'm inclined to think that this is a problem with the recent software upgrade. 

Any thoughts about what the issue might be and how I can troubleshoot it?  

I'd welcome your input. Thanks so much.

(I also posted this question in the Whole-Home DVR forum. I'm reposting here in case this is the more appropriate forum to address my problem.)

Hello,

During the last three weeks (i.e., roughly since the latest software upgrade), I've begun to experience glitches with the DVR controls on my HR34 / Genie box. The glitches manifest themselves in different ways. Sometimes, if I've recorded a show, when I try to watch the show, it will work for about three seconds and then lock up. Sometimes, if I try to pause or rewind live TV, the DVR will let me pause or rewind, but then it will lock up when I try to "play" it. 

This is strictly a matter of the DVR controls locking up; I'm not experiencing any problems with the broadcast signal. Also, I'm not getting any error messages, and the box repeatedly passes the "system test" thing.

Notably, when I hit the reset button, the glitches go away for about a day. But, they inevitably always recur. So, I find that I've been resetting my box about once a day for the last three weeks. 

I've called DirecTV twice about the problem, and they haven't been able to make a permanent fix. (We get the DVR to work during the call, but the problems recur a day later.) The second time, the guy talked me into buying the warranty and having a technician come out. However, I'm having second thoughts about that advice and expense, and I'm inclined to think that this is a problem with the recent software upgrade. 

Any thoughts about what the issue might be and how I can troubleshoot it?  

I'd welcome your input. Thanks so much.

HR34 / Genie DVR Functionality Problems (Freezing / Lockup)

30 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(30)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 26, 2013 6:48:56 PM
(0)
Employee

Run the Built in Self-test (BIST) to try and repair your hard drive. To run the hard drive checks, please follow these steps:

* Reboot DVR via red button inside card door.

* When you see "Running receiver self-check" press select

* You will see "Entering Diagnostics Mode..."

* Select Advanced Tests Menu -> Hard Drive utilities -> Short Smart test

You can also run the file test, and the DVR can sometimes repair a bad file report.

* If the other tests pass, run the surface test.   Warning: This process could take several hours to complete. You may want to run it overnight.

The good news is that every attempt is made to save programming. This is less destructive than a reformat all and could provide you with a more stable system if you are having problems that appear to be related to the hard drive.  

Run the Built in Self-test (BIST) to try and repair your hard drive. To run the hard drive checks, please follow these steps:

* Reboot DVR via red button inside card door.

* When you see "Running receiver self-check" press select

* You will see "Entering Diagnostics Mode..."

* Select Advanced Tests Menu -> Hard Drive utilities -> Short Smart test

You can also run the file test, and the DVR can sometimes repair a bad file report.

* If the other tests pass, run the surface test.   Warning: This process could take several hours to complete. You may want to run it overnight.

The good news is that every attempt is made to save programming. This is less destructive than a reformat all and could provide you with a more stable system if you are having problems that appear to be related to the hard drive.  

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: HR34 / Genie DVR Functionality Problems (Freezing / Lockup)

2 of 31 (4,560 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 27, 2013 6:30:07 AM
(0)
Teacher
Thanks so much for your time. I'll try that tonight.
Thanks so much for your time. I'll try that tonight.

3 of 31 (4,560 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 27, 2013 1:59:02 PM
(0)
Employee

keep us posted

keep us posted

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 31 (4,560 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 29, 2013 4:18:03 PM
(0)
Teacher

Just to follow up: I ran all of the tests that you recommended, including all of the long ones, and the DVR passed all of them. Unfortunately, today, the DVR froze up again on my wife when she paused a show that she had recorded.

That said, here's some additional information that might help to provide some insight re: the problem: My wife did not know how to reset the H34. Also, we have another TV and receiver that we've set up for the "whole home" functionality. So, when the HR34 froze up on my wife, she went to watch her program on our other TV -- and interestingly, she was able to watch the show that she'd recorded just fine on the other TV without any problem, even though the TV and receiver were pulling that show from the HR34. Does that shed any light on the nature of the probem?

Also, I neglected to mention last time: When I called DirecTV the second time, the technician thought that there might be a problem with the coax cable or the coax cable connection to the wall or the H34. Is it really possible that that could be the problem? (I'm having trouble seeing "how" that could be the problem, but I'm obviously no expert.)

Thanks again for your time and help!

Just to follow up: I ran all of the tests that you recommended, including all of the long ones, and the DVR passed all of them. Unfortunately, today, the DVR froze up again on my wife when she paused a show that she had recorded.

That said, here's some additional information that might help to provide some insight re: the problem: My wife did not know how to reset the H34. Also, we have another TV and receiver that we've set up for the "whole home" functionality. So, when the HR34 froze up on my wife, she went to watch her program on our other TV -- and interestingly, she was able to watch the show that she'd recorded just fine on the other TV without any problem, even though the TV and receiver were pulling that show from the HR34. Does that shed any light on the nature of the probem?

Also, I neglected to mention last time: When I called DirecTV the second time, the technician thought that there might be a problem with the coax cable or the coax cable connection to the wall or the H34. Is it really possible that that could be the problem? (I'm having trouble seeing "how" that could be the problem, but I'm obviously no expert.)

Thanks again for your time and help!

5 of 31 (4,560 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 29, 2013 6:18:49 PM
(0)
Employee

It could also be IR  interference  when it freezes turn off the TV, change the channel.  did the channel changed?  post back with the results 

It could also be IR  interference  when it freezes turn off the TV, change the channel.  did the channel changed?  post back with the results 

6 of 31 (4,560 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 1, 2013 7:21:46 AM
(0)
Teacher

When it froze again, I turned off the television then changed the channel. And yes, the channel changed.

Also, just FYI, the dvr freezing issue occurs with three different remotes -- the remote that I received from DirecTV, my Harmony One universal remote, and when I control the dvr using my DirecTV iPad app.

Thanks again for your time. 

When it froze again, I turned off the television then changed the channel. And yes, the channel changed.

Also, just FYI, the dvr freezing issue occurs with three different remotes -- the remote that I received from DirecTV, my Harmony One universal remote, and when I control the dvr using my DirecTV iPad app.

Thanks again for your time. 

7 of 31 (4,560 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 1, 2013 7:59:35 AM
(0)
Expert

Using the Directv remote, try going to the setup menu under remote and set the remote for RF operation.

Using the Directv remote, try going to the setup menu under remote and set the remote for RF operation.

8 of 31 (4,560 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 1, 2013 12:29:22 PM
(0)
Teacher

Good idea. But unfortunately, I tried it, and I encountered the same DVR problems once the remote was reset for RF.

Good idea. But unfortunately, I tried it, and I encountered the same DVR problems once the remote was reset for RF.

9 of 31 (4,560 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 1, 2013 6:07:37 PM
(0)
Employee

try covering the DVR's IR sensor with a piece of blue painters tape.

try covering the DVR's IR sensor with a piece of blue painters tape.

10 of 31 (4,560 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 3, 2013 7:57:05 PM
(0)
Contributor

Had the same problems on my HR44. Ran the utilities tests in diagnostic mode, and the recordings are looking great! No more freezing/lockups. Ran the short smart test, then started the surface test and then went to bed. Checked all my recording for the day and so far they don't have any problems (hex, hex, hex!!)!!!

I cannot believe that not one of the people I spoke with at any support level or any of the technicians who have come to my house have never run those diagnostics and test. 

Thanks!Cool

Had the same problems on my HR44. Ran the utilities tests in diagnostic mode, and the recordings are looking great! No more freezing/lockups. Ran the short smart test, then started the surface test and then went to bed. Checked all my recording for the day and so far they don't have any problems (hex, hex, hex!!)!!!

I cannot believe that not one of the people I spoke with at any support level or any of the technicians who have come to my house have never run those diagnostics and test. 

Thanks!Cool

11 of 31 (4,560 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 3, 2013 8:33:04 PM
(0)
Employee
Quote:  or any of the technicians who have come to my house have never run those diagnostics and test. 

Thanks!Cool

Tech will never run this test, it too time consuming.

Quote:  or any of the technicians who have come to my house have never run those diagnostics and test. 

Thanks!Cool

Tech will never run this test, it too time consuming.

12 of 31 (4,560 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 4, 2013 8:35:23 AM
(0)
Tutor

I'm having the same problem! Same symptoms, same time frame.   I just posted my own post as I didnt see this one. I'll try some of the fixes suggested here. 

I'm having the same problem! Same symptoms, same time frame.   I just posted my own post as I didnt see this one. I'll try some of the fixes suggested here. 

13 of 31 (4,560 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 4, 2013 4:37:12 PM
(0)
Employee
Quote: Originally Posted by kirkiscool 

see your answers here

http://forums.directv.com/message/11242483#11242483

Quote: Originally Posted by kirkiscool 

see your answers here

http://forums.directv.com/message/11242483#11242483

14 of 31 (4,560 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 4, 2013 6:10:00 PM
(0)
Tutor

you could try backdating software. If i was a tech that came out to your job I would replace the receiver after checking all that you have. and I am a tech for DTV. I myself have experienced some of what you are talking about as well. I have HR34 and I plan to replace with HR44 and would let tech do this if I were you and try it with new RC71 remote. 

you could try backdating software. If i was a tech that came out to your job I would replace the receiver after checking all that you have. and I am a tech for DTV. I myself have experienced some of what you are talking about as well. I have HR34 and I plan to replace with HR44 and would let tech do this if I were you and try it with new RC71 remote. 

15 of 31 (4,560 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 4, 2013 7:44:43 PM
(0)
Employee
Quote: Originally Posted by low10980 

you could try backdating software.

Wishful thinking, but you can't 

you could try backdating software.

Wishful thinking, but you can't 

16 of 31 (4,560 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 5, 2013 12:49:41 PM
(0)
Tutor

no, You can't. Technically, according to Direct TV they sent out a tech bulletin not to force software downloads on upgrades because of backdating the software. Maybe just a memo. but very possible.

no, You can't. Technically, according to Direct TV they sent out a tech bulletin not to force software downloads on upgrades because of backdating the software. Maybe just a memo. but very possible.

17 of 31 (4,560 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 5, 2013 6:41:17 PM
(0)
Employee

there is no way to roll back the software.  the reason of not forcing software is because you might get a BETA software that can cause  lots of issues.

there is no way to roll back the software.  the reason of not forcing software is because you might get a BETA software that can cause  lots of issues.

18 of 31 (4,560 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 6, 2013 9:54:16 AM
(0)
Teacher

All: Thanks so much for your time and suggestions. I tried all of your suggestions, but nothing worked.

A technician just came out, observed the problem, and told me that he'd actually been experiencing the same problem with his own box. So, he simply swapped out the box. He swapped it out for another H34, as the H44 apparently won't be available in our area (Seattle area) for a few weeks. Hopefully I won't have the same problem with the new box.

Thanks again for your time and effort. This forum is a helpful resource, and I think it helped to be able to tell the technician everything I'd tried to fix the problem.

All: Thanks so much for your time and suggestions. I tried all of your suggestions, but nothing worked.

A technician just came out, observed the problem, and told me that he'd actually been experiencing the same problem with his own box. So, he simply swapped out the box. He swapped it out for another H34, as the H44 apparently won't be available in our area (Seattle area) for a few weeks. Hopefully I won't have the same problem with the new box.

Thanks again for your time and effort. This forum is a helpful resource, and I think it helped to be able to tell the technician everything I'd tried to fix the problem.

19 of 31 (4,560 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 6, 2013 4:19:10 PM
(0)
Employee

It seems to me that you never tried the suggestion on post #6

It seems to me that you never tried the suggestion on post #6

20 of 31 (4,560 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 6, 2013 7:34:58 PM
(0)
Teacher
Actually, I did try your suggestion in #6, and I reported back to you in #7. Thanks your time and the suggestion.
Actually, I did try your suggestion in #6, and I reported back to you in #7. Thanks your time and the suggestion.

21 of 31 (4,560 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 6, 2013 7:46:06 PM
(0)
Employee

If it was an IR inference a piece of blue painters tape over the IR sensor can help avoid these sort of issues.

If it was an IR inference a piece of blue painters tape over the IR sensor can help avoid these sort of issues.

22 of 31 (4,560 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2014 5:56:36 AM
(0)
Contributor

The problem is with the mini-genies. They simply do not connect properly with the tv set they are connected to or they do not correctly receive the signal from the main genie. Direct TV says they are working on the problem, but the problem has existed for a long time and the solution has not been determined as of 4/25/2014. It is not something customers can fix.

The problem is with the mini-genies. They simply do not connect properly with the tv set they are connected to or they do not correctly receive the signal from the main genie. Direct TV says they are working on the problem, but the problem has existed for a long time and the solution has not been determined as of 4/25/2014. It is not something customers can fix.

23 of 31 (4,560 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2014 8:13:28 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

tawillis,

You're responding to year-old thread.  The mini's now work fine for the vast majority of customers.  If you're having specific issues, it's best to start your own new thread with more details about your equipment and connections.

tawillis,

You're responding to year-old thread.  The mini's now work fine for the vast majority of customers.  If you're having specific issues, it's best to start your own new thread with more details about your equipment and connections.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

24 of 31 (4,560 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2014 3:18:53 PM
(0)
Employee

NO the problem here.  The OP has referring to the Genie not clients and as litzdog mentioned, they are running fine for most of the customers

NO the problem here.  The OP has referring to the Genie not clients and as litzdog mentioned, they are running fine for most of the customers

25 of 31 (4,560 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2014 5:23:48 PM
(0)
Contributor

Hi,

My HR34 would freeze periodically and mostly on recordings. (The previous box  never froze.)  I called and they swapped it out for another HR34 without running any diagnostics. This one has even more problems! It freezes live TV as well as recordings. It's random and intermittent. It happens on premium channels as well as local channles and the networks in between. I watched a recording the other night and every time it froze, I hit stop then resume and it would play. The next night I watched the same recording and it didn't freeze at all. Most of the time it simply won't play so I delete the recording. Sometimes it displays a frozen image but now I'm getting grey screens. I hear audio but there is no picture.

I'm running the HD surface test as I type this message. It's moving right along at 40% I'm hopeful it will fix the problem. I look forward to any additional posts on this topic.

Hi,

My HR34 would freeze periodically and mostly on recordings. (The previous box  never froze.)  I called and they swapped it out for another HR34 without running any diagnostics. This one has even more problems! It freezes live TV as well as recordings. It's random and intermittent. It happens on premium channels as well as local channles and the networks in between. I watched a recording the other night and every time it froze, I hit stop then resume and it would play. The next night I watched the same recording and it didn't freeze at all. Most of the time it simply won't play so I delete the recording. Sometimes it displays a frozen image but now I'm getting grey screens. I hear audio but there is no picture.

I'm running the HD surface test as I type this message. It's moving right along at 40% I'm hopeful it will fix the problem. I look forward to any additional posts on this topic.

26 of 31 (4,560 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 31, 2015 9:09:26 AM
(0)
Contributor

I am having problems with my genie box....  it almost appears to be problems with the video cards...  Directv due to come out 12noon -4pm window today.

I never had problems with my old dvr boxes that were not hd.  Thinking of finishing my last year on my contract and going to dish... even cable is better than this.  I had no tv from the 18dec, 2014 - mid january after I agreed to a new contract and get new boxes.  

The only thing that was wrong in December 2014....was the LMB piece broke off.  I should have never upgraded......  I never called directv....  Now they are on speed dial due to the new hd boxes......   Lessons learned.  I liked it better when they just charged me for the service and we never spoke.  

Today....in the state of california....  you wait weeks for service calls........  NOT sure how service calls are in other states.....

I am having problems with my genie box....  it almost appears to be problems with the video cards...  Directv due to come out 12noon -4pm window today.

I never had problems with my old dvr boxes that were not hd.  Thinking of finishing my last year on my contract and going to dish... even cable is better than this.  I had no tv from the 18dec, 2014 - mid january after I agreed to a new contract and get new boxes.  

The only thing that was wrong in December 2014....was the LMB piece broke off.  I should have never upgraded......  I never called directv....  Now they are on speed dial due to the new hd boxes......   Lessons learned.  I liked it better when they just charged me for the service and we never spoke.  

Today....in the state of california....  you wait weeks for service calls........  NOT sure how service calls are in other states.....

27 of 31 (3,721 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2016 3:17:57 PM
(0)
Contributor

it's a software issue with the last update per the direct tv rep I just talked to. They don't have a fix for it yet. We are all stuck with this crap until their engineers figure out what they did to screw up the system. I bet when ATT bought Direct they "downsized" the engineers who had direct tv working fine.

it's a software issue with the last update per the direct tv rep I just talked to. They don't have a fix for it yet. We are all stuck with this crap until their engineers figure out what they did to screw up the system. I bet when ATT bought Direct they "downsized" the engineers who had direct tv working fine.

28 of 31 (3,013 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2016 3:26:40 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by shannon02 on Jan 16, 2016 at 3:43:30 PM

That is partially true the new software runs slower on the HR34 so I don't know what if anything the programmers can do.

That is partially true the new software runs slower on the HR34 so I don't know what if anything the programmers can do.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
29 of 31 (3,010 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2016 3:59:10 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

jimcamp wrote:

Well, that's what they keep saying, @jimcamp.  But these performance issues with the HR34 have been on-going for a long time.  I think the hardware simply isn't up to the task any more.  The only sure "cure" is replacement with a newer HR44/54 Genie DVR.  

jimcamp wrote:

Well, that's what they keep saying, @jimcamp.  But these performance issues with the HR34 have been on-going for a long time.  I think the hardware simply isn't up to the task any more.  The only sure "cure" is replacement with a newer HR44/54 Genie DVR.  

30 of 31 (2,996 Views)