Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Forums

Posted Nov 23, 2013
10:59:42 PM
View profile
HR34 Freezes Video at beginning of recording but audio continues

My HR34-700 which has worked well for a year but now seems to have recording problems. When you playback the recording the video freezes in the first few seconds and the audio continues to play.  You can NOT fast forward, rewind or skip forward, skip back.  This happens on various channels at various times.  I have been able to duplicate it by recording 5 channels manually off of the Guide.  It appears that the first recording of the batch shows the freezing symptom but the 4 others are OK.  Now I did this test manually in the Guide as I wanted to know if one of the 5 tuners/recorders in the HR34 was causing this problem.  I only attempted this test 2 times.  The first time all 5 shows worked OK the second time I attempted it I was able to duplicate it as written above.  I did this test as I have lots of experience using multiple tuners/recorders in Windows Media and I wondered if the HR34 had a "bad" tuner.  I assume the electronics in the HR34 has 5 separate digital tuners/recorders.  If I correct it could be that one tuner is an issue.  I am not sure how the HR34 prioritizes the tuners and whether or not it selects the same first tuner each time the first recording begins.  I will attempt a few more trys of the 5 manual recordings to see if I get again get 4 good shows and one bad.  The problem is intermittent but seems to be more frequent than when it was first noticed a few weeks ago.

I contacted the customer service folks at Directv but they were of no use.  They told me they suspected the HDMI cable between the HR34 and the TV.  That told me how well they understood the problem.  They also had me run the standard system test and reset the system with the red button. I went along with them but had already done both of these along with checking all cables, there was nothing to note.  They offered a $49 visit but I declined because I think I may be on to something and since it is not consistent in being able to duplicate I don't want to fork over money for someone to do everything I've already done and tell me they cant find any problems and not be able to duplicate the recording issues.  Although we have save some of the recordings that have the issue and intend to save more if they occur.  That is if my wife doesn't get pissed when you show failed to record again and chuck the HR34 out of the house.  Watching her select her recorded show and see a frozen screen with normal audio and her pissed off look is killing me.

We have seen this happen once in the live mode but only when we were in the Guide and the picture was in the upper left hand corner.  We were able to get the frozen screen to go away that time after exiting out of Guide, changing channels and going back to the problem channel.  We also have an HD box in our bedroom (H25-500) which does not show these symptoms, so far.

Any suggestions?

My HR34-700 which has worked well for a year but now seems to have recording problems. When you playback the recording the video freezes in the first few seconds and the audio continues to play.  You can NOT fast forward, rewind or skip forward, skip back.  This happens on various channels at various times.  I have been able to duplicate it by recording 5 channels manually off of the Guide.  It appears that the first recording of the batch shows the freezing symptom but the 4 others are OK.  Now I did this test manually in the Guide as I wanted to know if one of the 5 tuners/recorders in the HR34 was causing this problem.  I only attempted this test 2 times.  The first time all 5 shows worked OK the second time I attempted it I was able to duplicate it as written above.  I did this test as I have lots of experience using multiple tuners/recorders in Windows Media and I wondered if the HR34 had a "bad" tuner.  I assume the electronics in the HR34 has 5 separate digital tuners/recorders.  If I correct it could be that one tuner is an issue.  I am not sure how the HR34 prioritizes the tuners and whether or not it selects the same first tuner each time the first recording begins.  I will attempt a few more trys of the 5 manual recordings to see if I get again get 4 good shows and one bad.  The problem is intermittent but seems to be more frequent than when it was first noticed a few weeks ago.

I contacted the customer service folks at Directv but they were of no use.  They told me they suspected the HDMI cable between the HR34 and the TV.  That told me how well they understood the problem.  They also had me run the standard system test and reset the system with the red button. I went along with them but had already done both of these along with checking all cables, there was nothing to note.  They offered a $49 visit but I declined because I think I may be on to something and since it is not consistent in being able to duplicate I don't want to fork over money for someone to do everything I've already done and tell me they cant find any problems and not be able to duplicate the recording issues.  Although we have save some of the recordings that have the issue and intend to save more if they occur.  That is if my wife doesn't get pissed when you show failed to record again and chuck the HR34 out of the house.  Watching her select her recorded show and see a frozen screen with normal audio and her pissed off look is killing me.

We have seen this happen once in the live mode but only when we were in the Guide and the picture was in the upper left hand corner.  We were able to get the frozen screen to go away that time after exiting out of Guide, changing channels and going back to the problem channel.  We also have an HD box in our bedroom (H25-500) which does not show these symptoms, so far.

Any suggestions?

HR34 Freezes Video at beginning of recording but audio continues

72 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(72)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 23, 2013 11:02:54 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Might be a dying hard drive ....

Run the Built in Self-test (BIST) to try and repair your hard drive. To run the hard drive checks, please follow these steps:

* Reboot DVR via red button inside card door.

* When you see "Running receiver self-check" press select

* You will see "Entering Diagnostics Mode..."

* Select Advanced Tests Menu -> Hard Drive utilities -> Short Smart test

You can also run the file test, and the DVR can sometimes repair a bad file report.

* If the other tests pass, run the surface test.   Warning: This process could take several hours to complete. You may want to run it overnight.

The good news is that every attempt is made to save programming. This is less destructive than a reformat all and could provide you with a more stable system if you are having problems that appear to be related to the hard drive. 

Might be a dying hard drive ....

Run the Built in Self-test (BIST) to try and repair your hard drive. To run the hard drive checks, please follow these steps:

* Reboot DVR via red button inside card door.

* When you see "Running receiver self-check" press select

* You will see "Entering Diagnostics Mode..."

* Select Advanced Tests Menu -> Hard Drive utilities -> Short Smart test

You can also run the file test, and the DVR can sometimes repair a bad file report.

* If the other tests pass, run the surface test.   Warning: This process could take several hours to complete. You may want to run it overnight.

The good news is that every attempt is made to save programming. This is less destructive than a reformat all and could provide you with a more stable system if you are having problems that appear to be related to the hard drive. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: HR34 Freezes Video at beginning of recording but audio continues

2 of 73 (295 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 24, 2013 2:07:04 PM
(0)
Teacher

I ran the Surface Test last night and when I awoke this morning the box had powered itself off so I don't know if there were any Errors Found or Errors Corrected.  I ran it again this morning and got these results:

Surface Test:

Errors Found  --  0

Errors Corrected  -- 0

I ran the following tests this morning as recommended by the reply:

File System Verification  --  PASSED

SMART Short Test  --  PASSED

SMART Long Test  --  did not complete as I didn't want to wait 5 hours, it was running SLOW

LBA Fix  -- PASSED

Any more suggestions?

It's possible the Surface test I ran last night had errors corrected so I suppose something has changed now but I'm not very confident of that.  I've worked with computer building and repairing for years and have rarely seen a HDD repair itself.  I will try some more manual recording on all five tuners and try to recreate the problem.

I ran the Surface Test last night and when I awoke this morning the box had powered itself off so I don't know if there were any Errors Found or Errors Corrected.  I ran it again this morning and got these results:

Surface Test:

Errors Found  --  0

Errors Corrected  -- 0

I ran the following tests this morning as recommended by the reply:

File System Verification  --  PASSED

SMART Short Test  --  PASSED

SMART Long Test  --  did not complete as I didn't want to wait 5 hours, it was running SLOW

LBA Fix  -- PASSED

Any more suggestions?

It's possible the Surface test I ran last night had errors corrected so I suppose something has changed now but I'm not very confident of that.  I've worked with computer building and repairing for years and have rarely seen a HDD repair itself.  I will try some more manual recording on all five tuners and try to recreate the problem.

3 of 73 (295 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 24, 2013 3:16:57 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Yes, it's possible that the drive diagnostics repair the problem.  Is it still happening?

Yes, it's possible that the drive diagnostics repair the problem.  Is it still happening?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 73 (295 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 25, 2013 1:45:49 PM
(0)
Teacher

litzdog911,

I tried to duplicate it Sunday afternoon and couldn't recreate the problem.  It also recorded the Denver Broncos game on Sunday night and after painfully watching that I wish the problem would happened during that recording so I wouldn't have had to suffer though it.  Either way I appreciate the assistance and will update this thread if the problem comes back.  Thanks for your help.

litzdog911,

I tried to duplicate it Sunday afternoon and couldn't recreate the problem.  It also recorded the Denver Broncos game on Sunday night and after painfully watching that I wish the problem would happened during that recording so I wouldn't have had to suffer though it.  Either way I appreciate the assistance and will update this thread if the problem comes back.  Thanks for your help.

5 of 73 (295 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 25, 2013 3:26:15 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Keep us posted.   If you would be so kind, please mark any responses you find helpful or "question answered".  Thanks.

Keep us posted.   If you would be so kind, please mark any responses you find helpful or "question answered".  Thanks.

6 of 73 (295 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 27, 2013 5:26:04 PM
(0)
Teacher

Well it's back.  Unable to duplicate it for a couple days but today it happened twice while watching a live channel, just changed the channel  and it comes back to normal.  I then manually recorded 5 shows at the same time (did this 3 different times) and the first show in each 5 show recordings had the frozen video problem the first 2 times but the 3rd attempt I couldn't repeat the issue.  I recorded 15 different channels during this testing to prove it's not related to a specific network.

any more idea's?

Well it's back.  Unable to duplicate it for a couple days but today it happened twice while watching a live channel, just changed the channel  and it comes back to normal.  I then manually recorded 5 shows at the same time (did this 3 different times) and the first show in each 5 show recordings had the frozen video problem the first 2 times but the 3rd attempt I couldn't repeat the issue.  I recorded 15 different channels during this testing to prove it's not related to a specific network.

any more idea's?

7 of 73 (295 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 27, 2013 7:20:36 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Time to call DirecTV and request a replacement DVR. It's free if you have their Equipment Protection Plan, or within 90days of installation.  Otherwise $20 for shipping.

Time to call DirecTV and request a replacement DVR. It's free if you have their Equipment Protection Plan, or within 90days of installation.  Otherwise $20 for shipping.

8 of 73 (295 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 27, 2013 10:09:40 PM
(0)
Teacher

Thanx for your help I hope that my experience with Directv CSR's goes smoother this time.  I asked them for a DVR replace when I first noticed this problem and they said they couldn't do that but could dispatch a tech out for $49 (then offered me a $20 credit) to bring it to $29.  I was determined to figure it out on my own so I declined the service call.

Thanx for your help I hope that my experience with Directv CSR's goes smoother this time.  I asked them for a DVR replace when I first noticed this problem and they said they couldn't do that but could dispatch a tech out for $49 (then offered me a $20 credit) to bring it to $29.  I was determined to figure it out on my own so I declined the service call.

9 of 73 (295 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 28, 2013 12:49:38 AM
(0)
Professor

Tell them the lights don't come on, they will usually ship a replacement for $20 to cover shipping.  

Tell them the lights don't come on, they will usually ship a replacement for $20 to cover shipping.  

10 of 73 (295 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 28, 2013 6:21:00 AM
(0)
Expert

The $29 for a service call is a pretty good deal.  The Tech would almost surely replace the Genie and would check out the rest of your system as well.

The $29 for a service call is a pretty good deal.  The Tech would almost surely replace the Genie and would check out the rest of your system as well.

11 of 73 (295 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2013 10:01:04 PM
(0)
Tutor

I have the same problem with some recordings. It happens on multiple stations. I many times have the problem if I pause a program and come back a few minutes later. When I start, it freezes the picture and continues the audio. Sometimes if I fast forward it, it stops audio, the pointer remains in the position until it hits the end of the pause and then resumes normal playback. Other times if I FF, it jumps back to the beginning. This symptom generally happens on a recorded show. This is a relatively new HR34-700. Maybe I'll give CS a call and see if they'll replace it with a 44.

I have the same problem with some recordings. It happens on multiple stations. I many times have the problem if I pause a program and come back a few minutes later. When I start, it freezes the picture and continues the audio. Sometimes if I fast forward it, it stops audio, the pointer remains in the position until it hits the end of the pause and then resumes normal playback. Other times if I FF, it jumps back to the beginning. This symptom generally happens on a recorded show. This is a relatively new HR34-700. Maybe I'll give CS a call and see if they'll replace it with a 44.

12 of 73 (295 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2013 10:03:06 PM
(0)
Tutor

PS I am also having the pixelation and stuttering problem.

PS I am also having the pixelation and stuttering problem.

13 of 73 (295 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2013 10:22:35 PM
(0)
Teacher

Well that's not great news for me as I just received the replacement HR34 and had hoped that would fix the problem but you are telling me you HR34 is relatively new.  Well we will watch as many of the shows as we can and install this new unit this weekend and keep our fingers crossed.  Pixelation and stuttering has always been a very rare happening and doesn't happen often enough to complain so we just live with it. 

Well that's not great news for me as I just received the replacement HR34 and had hoped that would fix the problem but you are telling me you HR34 is relatively new.  Well we will watch as many of the shows as we can and install this new unit this weekend and keep our fingers crossed.  Pixelation and stuttering has always been a very rare happening and doesn't happen often enough to complain so we just live with it. 

14 of 73 (295 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 3, 2014 6:26:49 PM
(0)
Teacher

Well It's back and has been for a couple of weeks.  Soon after I installed a replacement HR34 it happened once and so I pretended it didn't as I didn't want to believe it.  It has happened twice this week on two separate recordings, 2 different channels.  Before I call Directv back does anyone have any ideas?  It's either a problem with multiple Genies or it's the service, I just don't get it. 

If I do have to call them up what exactly should I say to avoiding getting stuck at the basic level customer service level as they will probably be useless.  I can already hear them telling me "we've never heard of this problem".  I find that highly unlikely since there are two on this post along that have this problem.

HELP ME!!!!!!!

Well It's back and has been for a couple of weeks.  Soon after I installed a replacement HR34 it happened once and so I pretended it didn't as I didn't want to believe it.  It has happened twice this week on two separate recordings, 2 different channels.  Before I call Directv back does anyone have any ideas?  It's either a problem with multiple Genies or it's the service, I just don't get it. 

If I do have to call them up what exactly should I say to avoiding getting stuck at the basic level customer service level as they will probably be useless.  I can already hear them telling me "we've never heard of this problem".  I find that highly unlikely since there are two on this post along that have this problem.

HELP ME!!!!!!!

15 of 73 (295 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 3, 2014 9:08:08 PM
(0)
Tutor

I called DTV and their tech had me try to recreate the problem, but of course it wouldn't. I decided to do the long hard disk surface test. At first, it would run for 7% of the disk and freeze. I tried it a number of times and it would always do the same. I noticed that my disk free space was 93% which was 100 - 7. I deleted a couple of shows and reran the surface test. It made it all the way. I reran it and it again completed. This was several weeks ago and I had my first instance of the problem today, but it was only on a paused program. I have since paused programs and they catch up correctly. None of my records have had a problem. Not sure what this means, but you might try the surface test (overnight) and see a. if t freezes about where your empty space begins, or b. if it fixes the problem. Best of luck!

I called DTV and their tech had me try to recreate the problem, but of course it wouldn't. I decided to do the long hard disk surface test. At first, it would run for 7% of the disk and freeze. I tried it a number of times and it would always do the same. I noticed that my disk free space was 93% which was 100 - 7. I deleted a couple of shows and reran the surface test. It made it all the way. I reran it and it again completed. This was several weeks ago and I had my first instance of the problem today, but it was only on a paused program. I have since paused programs and they catch up correctly. None of my records have had a problem. Not sure what this means, but you might try the surface test (overnight) and see a. if t freezes about where your empty space begins, or b. if it fixes the problem. Best of luck!

16 of 73 (295 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2014 10:15:46 AM
(0)
Tutor

I could have written your posts word for work. I'm having the exact same problem in the exact time frame and sequence as you have. Welcome to the club. I replaced my DVR about two weeks ago, woke up this morning and tried to play back two shows recorded on different channels at different times and they both froze up within the first minute of playback while the audio was unaffected. Exact same problem as I had on the old recorder, which was one year old when replaced in December. Rather than call Direct TV, I thought I'd Google the problem and see if I could find it. That's how I ended up here. One thing mentioned earlier (or on another thread dealing with the same problem) was a possible bad HDMI cable. The poster blew it off as a ridiculous diagnosis, but I recall in an earlier conversation with Direct TV (prior to replacing the DVR) one of the techs mentioned this as a possibility. I'm wondering if it might be worth trying a replacement cable as we seem to be running out of options here. BTW, we are in the middle of a drought here in Northern Calif., so weather considerations could not enter into the situation. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I know HDMI cables are rather complicated in nature and I'm beginning to wonder if the one I've been using through multiple DVRs may be failing.

Update: I tried swapping out HDMI cable and playing back one of frozen recordings. No luck!

I could have written your posts word for work. I'm having the exact same problem in the exact time frame and sequence as you have. Welcome to the club. I replaced my DVR about two weeks ago, woke up this morning and tried to play back two shows recorded on different channels at different times and they both froze up within the first minute of playback while the audio was unaffected. Exact same problem as I had on the old recorder, which was one year old when replaced in December. Rather than call Direct TV, I thought I'd Google the problem and see if I could find it. That's how I ended up here. One thing mentioned earlier (or on another thread dealing with the same problem) was a possible bad HDMI cable. The poster blew it off as a ridiculous diagnosis, but I recall in an earlier conversation with Direct TV (prior to replacing the DVR) one of the techs mentioned this as a possibility. I'm wondering if it might be worth trying a replacement cable as we seem to be running out of options here. BTW, we are in the middle of a drought here in Northern Calif., so weather considerations could not enter into the situation. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I know HDMI cables are rather complicated in nature and I'm beginning to wonder if the one I've been using through multiple DVRs may be failing.

Update: I tried swapping out HDMI cable and playing back one of frozen recordings. No luck!

17 of 73 (295 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2014 9:25:48 AM
(0)
Contributor

Hello. I have been following this thread for quite some time. I have actually found a fix for this issue…

Whenever the symptoms appear, just update the DVR’s software. This has worked on 3 separate occasions with my HR34.

DirecTV releases software updates every few weeks, but the DVRs don’t automatically update.

Here’s how to force your DVR to update:

1.) Restart the receiver by hitting the red reset button or if you’re lazy go to Settings--> Reset --> Restart Receiver

2.) When the blue welcome screen appears, press 0 2 4 6 8 on the remote. This will force the DVR to look for an update.

3.) Once the download is complete, your DVR should work again. If the symptoms reappear in a few weeks check for an      update again. I have yet to encounter a situation when the symptoms appeared and there was no update available.

Thankfully, this update fix doesn’t have to be done on the Mini Genies. The main DVR will push any downloaded updates to them.

Also, I’ve found that a lot of issues, such as the TV Apps menu not appearing, can be alleviated by a simple software update.

Best of luck to you!

Hello. I have been following this thread for quite some time. I have actually found a fix for this issue…

Whenever the symptoms appear, just update the DVR’s software. This has worked on 3 separate occasions with my HR34.

DirecTV releases software updates every few weeks, but the DVRs don’t automatically update.

Here’s how to force your DVR to update:

1.) Restart the receiver by hitting the red reset button or if you’re lazy go to Settings--> Reset --> Restart Receiver

2.) When the blue welcome screen appears, press 0 2 4 6 8 on the remote. This will force the DVR to look for an update.

3.) Once the download is complete, your DVR should work again. If the symptoms reappear in a few weeks check for an      update again. I have yet to encounter a situation when the symptoms appeared and there was no update available.

Thankfully, this update fix doesn’t have to be done on the Mini Genies. The main DVR will push any downloaded updates to them.

Also, I’ve found that a lot of issues, such as the TV Apps menu not appearing, can be alleviated by a simple software update.

Best of luck to you!

18 of 73 (295 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2014 9:58:15 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I Would ignore the above message, the DVRs do update automatically, forcing an update can cause all sort of issues including "bricking" the DVR and or lost of the playlist.  The reason why you think updating is working is because forcing an update requires a rest which is most likely is what is fixing this issue temporarily.  You are not getting new updates, but a copy of the same software that you have

I Would ignore the above message, the DVRs do update automatically, forcing an update can cause all sort of issues including "bricking" the DVR and or lost of the playlist.  The reason why you think updating is working is because forcing an update requires a rest which is most likely is what is fixing this issue temporarily.  You are not getting new updates, but a copy of the same software that you have

19 of 73 (295 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2014 10:35:24 AM
(0)
Teacher

peds48,

I appreciate your quick response to this thread and all of the help I and others have gotten from you in the past.  That said I'm still stuck here.  I have yet to call Directv CS back about the repeat problems I'm having with the replacement HR34 I had shipped.  I would sure love some more advice on what you think we could try or even what I can say to the Directv CSR to get this issue elevated and looked at.

thanx

peds48,

I appreciate your quick response to this thread and all of the help I and others have gotten from you in the past.  That said I'm still stuck here.  I have yet to call Directv CS back about the repeat problems I'm having with the replacement HR34 I had shipped.  I would sure love some more advice on what you think we could try or even what I can say to the Directv CSR to get this issue elevated and looked at.

thanx

20 of 73 (295 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2014 10:50:50 AM
(0)
Tutor

I called DTV tech support and they suggested getting someone out here on a service call. When the guy arrived, he swapped out the DVR for the latest model (HR44-500), changed out the "brains" on the dish and re-aimed the dish. That was about a week or so ago and I haven't seen a reoccurance of the problem yet. BTW, none of this cost me anything since I had recently added the $7/month (or is it $8?) maintenance service to my bill.

I called DTV tech support and they suggested getting someone out here on a service call. When the guy arrived, he swapped out the DVR for the latest model (HR44-500), changed out the "brains" on the dish and re-aimed the dish. That was about a week or so ago and I haven't seen a reoccurance of the problem yet. BTW, none of this cost me anything since I had recently added the $7/month (or is it $8?) maintenance service to my bill.

21 of 73 (295 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2014 11:01:10 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

It would seem that replacing the HR34 with an HR44 might be the solution

It would seem that replacing the HR34 with an HR44 might be the solution

22 of 73 (295 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2014 11:03:58 AM
(0)
Tutor

That's what he thought.

That's what he thought.

23 of 73 (295 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2014 11:50:26 AM
(0)
Expert

Having Directv ship you a replacement will not guarantee you'll get a HR44, you may get another HR34.  Your best bet would be a service call as the tech would most likely have a HR44 on his truck.

Having Directv ship you a replacement will not guarantee you'll get a HR44, you may get another HR34.  Your best bet would be a service call as the tech would most likely have a HR44 on his truck.

24 of 73 (295 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2014 11:54:19 AM
(0)
Tutor

What he said ^^^; for sure!

What he said ^^^; for sure!

25 of 73 (295 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2014 12:24:04 PM
(0)
Contributor

Hello peds48,

I never claimed that my suggestion would be a permanent fix. However, what I have discovered is that updating when the problems described above occur, stops the issue for a few months. Additionally, if you mention that you have already updated the DVR’s software over the phone, the DirecTV representative won’t ask you to go through the basic reset steps.

Below is a rebuttal to the other points you made…

1.) I should have made my point clearer in my original post. The DVRs will automatically update for major software updates. However I have noticed that mine doesn’t automatically update for the small updates. Usually the small updates contain fixes for minor bugs in the program.

2.) I seriously doubt that manually requesting an update from DirecTV’s servers will “brick” the DVR. I have witnessed the service technicians utilize this method to make sure the DVR is up to date during installation. If manually updating harms the DVR, then why do the service technicians do it?

3.) Resetting the DVR without a software update didn’t fix the problem for me.

4.) I am getting new updates because the software version number listed in the Settings menu changes each time I manually update.

Hello peds48,

I never claimed that my suggestion would be a permanent fix. However, what I have discovered is that updating when the problems described above occur, stops the issue for a few months. Additionally, if you mention that you have already updated the DVR’s software over the phone, the DirecTV representative won’t ask you to go through the basic reset steps.

Below is a rebuttal to the other points you made…

1.) I should have made my point clearer in my original post. The DVRs will automatically update for major software updates. However I have noticed that mine doesn’t automatically update for the small updates. Usually the small updates contain fixes for minor bugs in the program.

2.) I seriously doubt that manually requesting an update from DirecTV’s servers will “brick” the DVR. I have witnessed the service technicians utilize this method to make sure the DVR is up to date during installation. If manually updating harms the DVR, then why do the service technicians do it?

3.) Resetting the DVR without a software update didn’t fix the problem for me.

4.) I am getting new updates because the software version number listed in the Settings menu changes each time I manually update.

26 of 73 (295 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2014 1:13:49 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Apparently you are not aware of how updates work,

1. there is no such thing as "small updates" there is only one National Release that all receivers run, and releases are roll out per market until all receivers are covered.

2. There are "test" and "beta" software updates sometimes in the data stream, forcing an update during these times, may get you a software you are not supposed to have.  this FW are sometimes very unstable and when you "downgrade" software you will loose all recorded shows on a DVR.  Also not all the updates are on the stream 24/7, which may cause a receiver to hung.  Software updates should only be performed on new receivers and not on receivers already active on a customers house. Techs also know which receivers are supposed to be forced updated and when.

4. DirecTV authorizes what software your receiver is supposed to have and will only download and install that update, unless is a beta version, which begs the question, what have you been getting?

Apparently you are not aware of how updates work,

1. there is no such thing as "small updates" there is only one National Release that all receivers run, and releases are roll out per market until all receivers are covered.

2. There are "test" and "beta" software updates sometimes in the data stream, forcing an update during these times, may get you a software you are not supposed to have.  this FW are sometimes very unstable and when you "downgrade" software you will loose all recorded shows on a DVR.  Also not all the updates are on the stream 24/7, which may cause a receiver to hung.  Software updates should only be performed on new receivers and not on receivers already active on a customers house. Techs also know which receivers are supposed to be forced updated and when.

4. DirecTV authorizes what software your receiver is supposed to have and will only download and install that update, unless is a beta version, which begs the question, what have you been getting?

27 of 73 (295 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2014 9:43:19 PM
(0)
Contributor

Hello peds48,

You were correct. As I mentioned before I have been tracking this issue for quite some time, so I went back to my notes.

The first time I manually updated to a newer software version 0x78e. The second manual update brought me to software version 0x79e. However, the third manual update just reinstalled software version 0x79e. I neglected to check the software version the third time around before posting. I figured since I had temporarily resolved the issue for the third consecutive time, I had found a fix.

Thank you for your help! I guess I’ll try and get an HR44 as well. Hopefully they can transfer recorded content onto the new DVR for me though!

Hello peds48,

You were correct. As I mentioned before I have been tracking this issue for quite some time, so I went back to my notes.

The first time I manually updated to a newer software version 0x78e. The second manual update brought me to software version 0x79e. However, the third manual update just reinstalled software version 0x79e. I neglected to check the software version the third time around before posting. I figured since I had temporarily resolved the issue for the third consecutive time, I had found a fix.

Thank you for your help! I guess I’ll try and get an HR44 as well. Hopefully they can transfer recorded content onto the new DVR for me though!

28 of 73 (295 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2014 11:19:34 PM
(0)
Professor

Sorry there is no way to transfer programs or settings to a new receiver.

Sorry there is no way to transfer programs or settings to a new receiver.

29 of 73 (295 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2014 11:26:31 PM
(0)
Tutor

They can't. Unfortunately I join in with all experiencing this problem. I have endured it for months. Directv's initial solution was replacement of the DVR. That didn't work. Direct is beta testing the transfer of recorded programs to another unit, but it's not available yet. Next up was replacing the dish's brains (the smaller white unit that receives the signal reflected off the dish). My hopes were dashed last night when the problem recurred. Same symptoms as above: random channels, random times. One experience I had to add to the mix was watching a recording of Monday Night Football. The video froze in the first minute, the audio continued and when I tried to fast forward it reverted back to the start and refroze at the same spot. But the live telecast was still on so i switched to it and got the same result. The audio was correct (it was about 2 hours into the telecast) but the video was the same frame that the recorded version froze at. The tech that replaced the brains mentioned that, if the problem continued they would probably replace the cabling. Somehow the "poke-and-hope" approach doesn't give me any confidence in Direct's approach to solving the problem. I just checked and the replacement DVR was another HR34. I will call Direct and try to get an HR44 replacement. Stay tuned ....

They can't. Unfortunately I join in with all experiencing this problem. I have endured it for months. Directv's initial solution was replacement of the DVR. That didn't work. Direct is beta testing the transfer of recorded programs to another unit, but it's not available yet. Next up was replacing the dish's brains (the smaller white unit that receives the signal reflected off the dish). My hopes were dashed last night when the problem recurred. Same symptoms as above: random channels, random times. One experience I had to add to the mix was watching a recording of Monday Night Football. The video froze in the first minute, the audio continued and when I tried to fast forward it reverted back to the start and refroze at the same spot. But the live telecast was still on so i switched to it and got the same result. The audio was correct (it was about 2 hours into the telecast) but the video was the same frame that the recorded version froze at. The tech that replaced the brains mentioned that, if the problem continued they would probably replace the cabling. Somehow the "poke-and-hope" approach doesn't give me any confidence in Direct's approach to solving the problem. I just checked and the replacement DVR was another HR34. I will call Direct and try to get an HR44 replacement. Stay tuned ....

30 of 73 (295 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments