Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Community

Posted Dec 4, 2013
6:52:16 AM
View profile
HR34-700 adding external drive

I have found old posts on adding external drives, but most of the data I have seen is more than 3-4 years old, with the HD recommendations also being very old, or invalid links.

I see there is an SATA port on the back of my DVR. 

1) Will most any HD work if put in a good eSATA hard drive enclosure? 

2) Is there a size limitation 3-4TB?

3) I have read that when you add an external drive it then uses that drive and it replaces the internal drive - how big is the internal?

many thanks

I have found old posts on adding external drives, but most of the data I have seen is more than 3-4 years old, with the HD recommendations also being very old, or invalid links.

I see there is an SATA port on the back of my DVR. 

1) Will most any HD work if put in a good eSATA hard drive enclosure? 

2) Is there a size limitation 3-4TB?

3) I have read that when you add an external drive it then uses that drive and it replaces the internal drive - how big is the internal?

many thanks

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Dec 4, 2013 7:07:03 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
1. Yes you can add an external e-SATA hard drive to the Genie

2) the Genie has no size limitation 

3) yes adding an external drive replaces the internal which is 1TB.

keep in mind that shows are married to the receiver, even on the external drive, if the Genie were to break, you will lose  the shows

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Accepted Solution

HR34-700 adding external drive

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Dec 4, 2013 7:07:03 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

keep in mind that shows are married to the receiver, even on the external drive, if the Genie were to break, you will lose  the shows

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: HR34-700 adding external drive

2 of 8 (96 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2013 7:15:09 AM
(0)
Tutor

Sorry one more - when I switch to an external HD - does the material on the internal move over?

Any tricks to installing the external HD - or is it mostly plug and play?

Sorry one more - when I switch to an external HD - does the material on the internal move over?

Any tricks to installing the external HD - or is it mostly plug and play?

3 of 8 (96 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2013 7:32:05 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
No, the shows on the internal will remain there
No, the shows on the internal will remain there

4 of 8 (96 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2013 8:23:39 AM
(0)
Tutor

Anyway to copy the material to the new external HD?

Anyway to copy the material to the new external HD?

5 of 8 (96 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2013 9:01:29 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Nope.
Nope.

6 of 8 (96 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2013 10:52:50 AM
(0)
Expert

The statement that the recordings are married to the drive says it all.  No moving, recovering, sharing.  Here's the procedure.  Get a cooled enclosure for the drive, disconnect AC power to the Genie.  Connect the eSATA cable to the enclosure and the Genie.  Connect AC power to the Enclosure and wait two minutes for the drive to spin up.  Then connect AC power to the Genie.  It should boot up using the external drive.  Don't format the drive as the Genie uses a special format that your computer can't duplicate.  One last tip.  A UPS uninterruptable power supply is a good idea because during power outages/resumption the external drive can't spin up prior to start up of the Genie.

The statement that the recordings are married to the drive says it all.  No moving, recovering, sharing.  Here's the procedure.  Get a cooled enclosure for the drive, disconnect AC power to the Genie.  Connect the eSATA cable to the enclosure and the Genie.  Connect AC power to the Enclosure and wait two minutes for the drive to spin up.  Then connect AC power to the Genie.  It should boot up using the external drive.  Don't format the drive as the Genie uses a special format that your computer can't duplicate.  One last tip.  A UPS uninterruptable power supply is a good idea because during power outages/resumption the external drive can't spin up prior to start up of the Genie.

7 of 8 (96 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 6, 2013 7:45:09 AM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks for the info but going to have to pass on the upgrade. 

The 1TB internal has been fine, just now have too much on it.   2-3TB would be better but can't lose the existing 1TB of material.

Thanks for the info but going to have to pass on the upgrade. 

The 1TB internal has been fine, just now have too much on it.   2-3TB would be better but can't lose the existing 1TB of material.

8 of 8 (96 Views)