Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Forum

Posted Dec 4, 2013
6:52:16 AM
View profile
HR34-700 adding external drive

I have found old posts on adding external drives, but most of the data I have seen is more than 3-4 years old, with the HD recommendations also being very old, or invalid links.

I see there is an SATA port on the back of my DVR. 

1) Will most any HD work if put in a good eSATA hard drive enclosure? 

2) Is there a size limitation 3-4TB?

3) I have read that when you add an external drive it then uses that drive and it replaces the internal drive - how big is the internal?

many thanks

I have found old posts on adding external drives, but most of the data I have seen is more than 3-4 years old, with the HD recommendations also being very old, or invalid links.

I see there is an SATA port on the back of my DVR. 

1) Will most any HD work if put in a good eSATA hard drive enclosure? 

2) Is there a size limitation 3-4TB?

3) I have read that when you add an external drive it then uses that drive and it replaces the internal drive - how big is the internal?

many thanks

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Dec 4, 2013 7:07:03 AM
(0)
Employee
1. Yes you can add an external e-SATA hard drive to the Genie

2) the Genie has no size limitation 

3) yes adding an external drive replaces the internal which is 1TB.

keep in mind that shows are married to the receiver, even on the external drive, if the Genie were to break, you will lose  the shows

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Accepted Solution

HR34-700 adding external drive

17 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(17)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Dec 4, 2013 7:07:03 AM
(0)
Employee

keep in mind that shows are married to the receiver, even on the external drive, if the Genie were to break, you will lose  the shows

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: HR34-700 adding external drive

2 of 18 (811 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2013 7:15:09 AM
(0)
Tutor

Sorry one more - when I switch to an external HD - does the material on the internal move over?

Any tricks to installing the external HD - or is it mostly plug and play?

Sorry one more - when I switch to an external HD - does the material on the internal move over?

Any tricks to installing the external HD - or is it mostly plug and play?

3 of 18 (811 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2013 7:32:05 AM
(0)
Employee
No, the shows on the internal will remain there
No, the shows on the internal will remain there

4 of 18 (811 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2013 8:23:39 AM
(0)
Tutor

Anyway to copy the material to the new external HD?

Anyway to copy the material to the new external HD?

5 of 18 (811 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2013 9:01:29 AM
(0)
Employee
Nope.
Nope.

6 of 18 (811 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2013 10:52:50 AM
(0)
Expert

The statement that the recordings are married to the drive says it all.  No moving, recovering, sharing.  Here's the procedure.  Get a cooled enclosure for the drive, disconnect AC power to the Genie.  Connect the eSATA cable to the enclosure and the Genie.  Connect AC power to the Enclosure and wait two minutes for the drive to spin up.  Then connect AC power to the Genie.  It should boot up using the external drive.  Don't format the drive as the Genie uses a special format that your computer can't duplicate.  One last tip.  A UPS uninterruptable power supply is a good idea because during power outages/resumption the external drive can't spin up prior to start up of the Genie.

The statement that the recordings are married to the drive says it all.  No moving, recovering, sharing.  Here's the procedure.  Get a cooled enclosure for the drive, disconnect AC power to the Genie.  Connect the eSATA cable to the enclosure and the Genie.  Connect AC power to the Enclosure and wait two minutes for the drive to spin up.  Then connect AC power to the Genie.  It should boot up using the external drive.  Don't format the drive as the Genie uses a special format that your computer can't duplicate.  One last tip.  A UPS uninterruptable power supply is a good idea because during power outages/resumption the external drive can't spin up prior to start up of the Genie.

7 of 18 (811 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 6, 2013 7:45:09 AM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks for the info but going to have to pass on the upgrade. 

The 1TB internal has been fine, just now have too much on it.   2-3TB would be better but can't lose the existing 1TB of material.

Thanks for the info but going to have to pass on the upgrade. 

The 1TB internal has been fine, just now have too much on it.   2-3TB would be better but can't lose the existing 1TB of material.

8 of 18 (811 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 14, 2016 11:07:36 AM
(0)
Contributor

I have numerous media appearances on various shows I have recorded over time, and in the past I have used a Grass Valley converter with a USB connector into my computer and then have to play the recorded content while running an app to record to my computer as a video file only in 480. I just want to make sure that there is no way to copy these saved shows to a computer harddrive and/or in HD so I can cut what I don't need in an editing program? I am getting ready to replace my HR34 with an HR54 and don't want to lose the content, because I have not recorded some of the content over to my computer yet. This is a bit time sensitive, and I thank you for your help with this.

I have numerous media appearances on various shows I have recorded over time, and in the past I have used a Grass Valley converter with a USB connector into my computer and then have to play the recorded content while running an app to record to my computer as a video file only in 480. I just want to make sure that there is no way to copy these saved shows to a computer harddrive and/or in HD so I can cut what I don't need in an editing program? I am getting ready to replace my HR34 with an HR54 and don't want to lose the content, because I have not recorded some of the content over to my computer yet. This is a bit time sensitive, and I thank you for your help with this.

9 of 18 (531 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 14, 2016 2:12:11 PM
(0)
Employee

you can record on HD with any PC video capture hardware that takes component as its input.

you can record on HD with any PC video capture hardware that takes component as its input.

10 of 18 (496 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 14, 2016 7:39:44 PM
(0)
Tutor

I have a similar question.  If I understand you correctly, you CAN copy recorded shows to your computer?  We are running out of space and some shows we want to watch again and/or later but cannot afford to do an upgrade.  Seems one of the options lost with DVR is the ability to keep your recordings forever like with old-style VCR's.  So, is it possible to save these programs?

Also, what does the exclamation point in a triangle mean next to older shows?  Are they going to be automatically deleted soon?

I have a similar question.  If I understand you correctly, you CAN copy recorded shows to your computer?  We are running out of space and some shows we want to watch again and/or later but cannot afford to do an upgrade.  Seems one of the options lost with DVR is the ability to keep your recordings forever like with old-style VCR's.  So, is it possible to save these programs?

Also, what does the exclamation point in a triangle mean next to older shows?  Are they going to be automatically deleted soon?

11 of 18 (466 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 14, 2016 8:00:37 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Yes that is what the icon means.  You can transfer your recording to a computer with a video capture device, most people don't want to go to the expense of getting a video capture card that will use component cables for HD there is also a composite USB video capture device for SD both only record in real time.

Yes that is what the icon means.  You can transfer your recording to a computer with a video capture device, most people don't want to go to the expense of getting a video capture card that will use component cables for HD there is also a composite USB video capture device for SD both only record in real time.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

12 of 18 (458 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 16, 2016 2:21:23 PM
(0)
Tutor

Okay I have the proper hookups, PC SEES the media, but will not play or record. Using Movie Maker which used to work for Click! & Comcast. So, am I missing a Codecs file or something? Also, I see a Directv2PC.exe but your site says this is no longer availabe.  What is the replacement for this?

Okay I have the proper hookups, PC SEES the media, but will not play or record. Using Movie Maker which used to work for Click! & Comcast. So, am I missing a Codecs file or something? Also, I see a Directv2PC.exe but your site says this is no longer availabe.  What is the replacement for this?

13 of 18 (388 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 16, 2016 4:27:02 PM
(0)
Employee

@qballrail best to start your own new thread.  Include details about your equipment (model numbers, how things are connected, etc), and any troubleshooting you've tried so far. 

@qballrail best to start your own new thread.  Include details about your equipment (model numbers, how things are connected, etc), and any troubleshooting you've tried so far. 

14 of 18 (353 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 16, 2016 4:37:56 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Most video capture devices have their own software.

Most video capture devices have their own software.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

15 of 18 (350 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 16, 2016 5:55:48 PM
(0)
Contributor
Thx. I understand that and use the software. I just want to copy the file and edit it possibly in iMovie rather than capture it, save it and then edit it and have it be in a compressed 480 4:3 format. It's extra steps.
Thx. I understand that and use the software. I just want to copy the file and edit it possibly in iMovie rather than capture it, save it and then edit it and have it be in a compressed 480 4:3 format. It's extra steps.

16 of 18 (336 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 16, 2016 6:23:53 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

You can't, you have to capture it in real time and in SD unless you have a video capture card with component inputs.

You can't, you have to capture it in real time and in SD unless you have a video capture card with component inputs.

17 of 18 (324 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 16, 2016 8:10:20 PM
(0)
Employee

@DoctorE1 Not possible, DIRECTV files on the DVR are encrypted.  Only way is to capture by using component or compiste cables.

@DoctorE1 Not possible, DIRECTV files on the DVR are encrypted.  Only way is to capture by using component or compiste cables.

18 of 18 (302 Views)