Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Community

Posted Jul 6, 2014
6:53:42 PM
HDMI Output Fried?

We had a bad lightning storm the other day and lost power for a few seconds. The next day, my Genie receiver (HR44-700) acted completely normal... except that it seems that it cannot output through the HDMI port. My television would have a blank screen, but I would have sound (I have my sound run through a receiver via digital coaxial audio). I connected the receiver to my TV through A/V cables and was able to see a picture. I have checked all my settings and everything was just as I had left it. Is it possible that the lightning somehow damaged nothing on my receiver box except for the HDMI out?

We had a bad lightning storm the other day and lost power for a few seconds. The next day, my Genie receiver (HR44-700) acted completely normal... except that it seems that it cannot output through the HDMI port. My television would have a blank screen, but I would have sound (I have my sound run through a receiver via digital coaxial audio). I connected the receiver to my TV through A/V cables and was able to see a picture. I have checked all my settings and everything was just as I had left it. Is it possible that the lightning somehow damaged nothing on my receiver box except for the HDMI out?

HDMI Output Fried?

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 6, 2014 7:27:49 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

gtbroman wrote:

Is it possible that the lightning somehow damaged nothing on my receiver box except for the HDMI out?

Yup, very likely.  One thing you can do is leave the HR44 unplug for a couple of hours. See if that helps.  Otherwise,  Call DirecTV to request a replacement Receiver/DVR.  It's free if you have their Equipment Protection Plan, or within 90-days of installation.  Otherwise ~$20 for shipping.  Or ~$50 to have a tech come replace it for you. 

gtbroman wrote:

Is it possible that the lightning somehow damaged nothing on my receiver box except for the HDMI out?

Yup, very likely.  One thing you can do is leave the HR44 unplug for a couple of hours. See if that helps.  Otherwise,  Call DirecTV to request a replacement Receiver/DVR.  It's free if you have their Equipment Protection Plan, or within 90-days of installation.  Otherwise ~$20 for shipping.  Or ~$50 to have a tech come replace it for you. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: HDMI Output Fried?

2 of 4 (12 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 6, 2014 11:37:37 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

HDMI connections are very susceptible to static and lightning damage.

HDMI connections are very susceptible to static and lightning damage.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 4 (12 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 10, 2014 6:21:40 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks very much, have called and gotten a replacement that works great.

Thanks very much, have called and gotten a replacement that works great.

4 of 4 (12 Views)