Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Forum

Posted Aug 16, 2014
1:49:49 PM
View profile
HDCP compliance issue troubleshooting

Approximately 2 months ago I upgraded my equipment to the new Genie with a Genie Mini. TV's were also upgraded and both are Samsung Series 45 LED units and are said to be fully HDCP compliant.  The Genie (Primary receiver) is working flawlessly but the Mini continues to randomly display a message saying I need to change from the HDMI cables to a component cable connection.  This issue does not always appear and sometimes the system will work fine for an hour or more (on the same channel) before it pops up.  This doesn't happen just on premium channels or PPV movies but does seem to happen only when watching a HD broadcast.  Need help trying to determine where to troubleshoot.......receiver, TV or HDMI cable.  Genie mini only has HDMI and SVid connections so how would I change to component?

Approximately 2 months ago I upgraded my equipment to the new Genie with a Genie Mini. TV's were also upgraded and both are Samsung Series 45 LED units and are said to be fully HDCP compliant.  The Genie (Primary receiver) is working flawlessly but the Mini continues to randomly display a message saying I need to change from the HDMI cables to a component cable connection.  This issue does not always appear and sometimes the system will work fine for an hour or more (on the same channel) before it pops up.  This doesn't happen just on premium channels or PPV movies but does seem to happen only when watching a HD broadcast.  Need help trying to determine where to troubleshoot.......receiver, TV or HDMI cable.  Genie mini only has HDMI and SVid connections so how would I change to component?

HDCP compliance issue troubleshooting

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2014 2:52:26 PM
(0)
Professor

If your TVs aren't connected to the internet check their website to see if there are any firmware/software updates.

If your TVs aren't connected to the internet check their website to see if there are any firmware/software updates.

Re: HDCP compliance issue troubleshooting

2 of 9 (553 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2014 2:53:23 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

First thing to try with the mini is a new HDMI cable.  That might fix it. 

The Genie Mini has ALL channels protected by HDCP, not just the premium channels.  If you want to try using Component Video instead, you need a special "dongle" cable.  Call DirecTV and they might send you one for free.  Or you can order one from dealers like Solid Signal ....

http://www.solidsignal.com/m/SearchResult.aspx?pid=H2510PIN&ss=782623&sq=c41

First thing to try with the mini is a new HDMI cable.  That might fix it. 

The Genie Mini has ALL channels protected by HDCP, not just the premium channels.  If you want to try using Component Video instead, you need a special "dongle" cable.  Call DirecTV and they might send you one for free.  Or you can order one from dealers like Solid Signal ....

http://www.solidsignal.com/m/SearchResult.aspx?pid=H2510PIN&ss=782623&sq=c41

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 9 (553 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 17, 2014 8:34:43 AM
(0)
Mentor

REPLACE THE HDMI FOR 10pin Mini-DIN CABLE

High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) is a technology that protects programs from being copied from an HDMI or DVI output to a computer or other digital recording device – like a DVD burner, etc...

You  will need to replace the HDMI cable for a Component one, but since you're using a GENIE mini you won't be able to conect a regular componet cable, but if get a 10pin Mini-DIN cable (http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fpimages.solidsignal.com%2FH25-10PIN_2_zoom.jpg&imgr... and I asure you this will get your issue resolved and you will keep same picture quality.

Remember: REPLACE THE HDMI FOR 10pin Mini-DIN CABLE

You can get it from an locaI store, or you can call Directv in order to get it!!

REPLACE THE HDMI FOR 10pin Mini-DIN CABLE

High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) is a technology that protects programs from being copied from an HDMI or DVI output to a computer or other digital recording device – like a DVD burner, etc...

You  will need to replace the HDMI cable for a Component one, but since you're using a GENIE mini you won't be able to conect a regular componet cable, but if get a 10pin Mini-DIN cable (http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fpimages.solidsignal.com%2FH25-10PIN_2_zoom.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fw…) and I asure you this will get your issue resolved and you will keep same picture quality.

Remember: REPLACE THE HDMI FOR 10pin Mini-DIN CABLE

You can get it from an locaI store, or you can call Directv in order to get it!!

4 of 9 (553 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 17, 2014 9:17:21 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

You can get it from an locaI store ...

No, you won't find it a local store.

You can get it from an locaI store ...

No, you won't find it a local store.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 9 (553 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 17, 2014 9:23:57 AM
(0)
Mentor

uhh, ok!

In that case just call Directv and they can send it to you through FEDEX

uhh, ok!

In that case just call Directv and they can send it to you through FEDEX

6 of 9 (553 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 17, 2014 10:44:57 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Correct.  I think I said that in my original response Smiley Happy

Correct.  I think I said that in my original response Smiley Happy

7 of 9 (553 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2014 8:05:13 AM
(0)
Contributor

Updated status. Contacted Directv and they shipped the component adapter cable. So far everything is working properly.

Updated status. Contacted Directv and they shipped the component adapter cable. So far everything is working properly.

8 of 9 (553 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2014 9:15:25 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Great to hear. Thanks for the update. Enjoy!

Great to hear. Thanks for the update. Enjoy!

9 of 9 (553 Views)