Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Forum

Posted Jul 16, 2013
4:58:04 PM
View profile
HD receiver w/ DVR Often slow to respond to remote

I have noted this problem has existed with many people over recent years, but there also does not seem to be a consensus solution.  I have three units...the other two work as usual.  The unit that responds slowly most of the time is the unit with the DVR.  This is a recent development--the last month or so.  There can be a 30 second or so delay from using the remote for the action requested moving.  Sometimes changing channels is even a problem.  I called for help earlier today.  I quick test first failed, but I was told it might take awhile for the adjustment to work.  I tried again and the operation performed properly.  Then, later after I had hung up, of course, the same problem was still evident.  Is this an equipment problem or something else in the system that is being worked on?

I have noted this problem has existed with many people over recent years, but there also does not seem to be a consensus solution.  I have three units...the other two work as usual.  The unit that responds slowly most of the time is the unit with the DVR.  This is a recent development--the last month or so.  There can be a 30 second or so delay from using the remote for the action requested moving.  Sometimes changing channels is even a problem.  I called for help earlier today.  I quick test first failed, but I was told it might take awhile for the adjustment to work.  I tried again and the operation performed properly.  Then, later after I had hung up, of course, the same problem was still evident.  Is this an equipment problem or something else in the system that is being worked on?

HD receiver w/ DVR Often slow to respond to remote

28 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(28)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2013 7:37:19 PM
(0)
Employee

what model of receiver do you have. look for the model number inside the access card door.. 

Run the Built in Self-test (BIST) to try and repair your hard drive. To run the hard drive checks, please follow these steps:

* Reboot DVR via red button inside card door.

* When you see "Running receiver self-check" press select

* You will see "Entering Diagnostics Mode..."

* Select Advanced Tests Menu -> Hard Drive utilities -> Short Smart test

You can also run the file test, and the DVR can sometimes repair a bad file report.

* If the other tests pass, run the surface test.   Warning: This process could take several hours to complete. You may want to run it overnight.

The good news is that every attempt is made to save programming. This is less destructive than a reformat all and could provide you with a more stable system if you are having problems that appear to be related to the hard drive. 

what model of receiver do you have. look for the model number inside the access card door.. 

Run the Built in Self-test (BIST) to try and repair your hard drive. To run the hard drive checks, please follow these steps:

* Reboot DVR via red button inside card door.

* When you see "Running receiver self-check" press select

* You will see "Entering Diagnostics Mode..."

* Select Advanced Tests Menu -> Hard Drive utilities -> Short Smart test

You can also run the file test, and the DVR can sometimes repair a bad file report.

* If the other tests pass, run the surface test.   Warning: This process could take several hours to complete. You may want to run it overnight.

The good news is that every attempt is made to save programming. This is less destructive than a reformat all and could provide you with a more stable system if you are having problems that appear to be related to the hard drive. 

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: HD receiver w/ DVR Often slow to respond to remote

2 of 29 (18,294 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 17, 2013 7:39:57 AM
(0)
Contributor

The Model is:   HR21-700.   I will try the suggestion you made below and will report back with either success or failure tomorrow.

Greg Lucas

http://www.gregclucas.com    web

@GregCLucas    twitter

glucas5303@sbcglobal.net     email

HOUSTON, TX

The Model is:   HR21-700.   I will try the suggestion you made below and will report back with either success or failure tomorrow.

Greg Lucas

http://www.gregclucas.com    web

@GregCLucas    twitter

glucas5303@sbcglobal.net     email

HOUSTON, TX

3 of 29 (18,294 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 18, 2013 7:51:59 AM
(0)
Contributor

On the HR21-700   Model: WDCD3200 AVVS 6322BO I have performed the suggested maneuvers.  Here is what I got:

Smart Short:  3013 FAIL

Filesystem Verification:  Passed

LBA Fix:   3004 FAIL

Smart Long:    3013 FAIL

Did not try Surface Test since you indicated Passing grades on previous tests were necessary.

While in the area did other tests, too:

Threshold:   3010 FAIL

What does all this mean?  It would appear I have a problem that the unit can't fix itself?

On the HR21-700   Model: WDCD3200 AVVS 6322BO I have performed the suggested maneuvers.  Here is what I got:

Smart Short:  3013 FAIL

Filesystem Verification:  Passed

LBA Fix:   3004 FAIL

Smart Long:    3013 FAIL

Did not try Surface Test since you indicated Passing grades on previous tests were necessary.

While in the area did other tests, too:

Threshold:   3010 FAIL

What does all this mean?  It would appear I have a problem that the unit can't fix itself?

4 of 29 (18,294 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 18, 2013 9:08:32 AM
(0)
Teacher

It is likely the hard drive needs to be replaced. They all fail at some time or another. Contact DirecTV technical support.

It is likely the hard drive needs to be replaced. They all fail at some time or another. Contact DirecTV technical support.

5 of 29 (18,294 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 18, 2013 9:15:04 AM
(0)
Employee

your hard drive is toast! 

Call DirecTV to request a replacement Receiver/DVR.  It's free if you have their Equipment Protection Plan, or within 90-days of installation.  Otherwise ~$20 for shipping.  Or ~$50 to have a tech come replace it for you.

your hard drive is toast! 

Call DirecTV to request a replacement Receiver/DVR.  It's free if you have their Equipment Protection Plan, or within 90-days of installation.  Otherwise ~$20 for shipping.  Or ~$50 to have a tech come replace it for you.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

6 of 29 (18,294 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2013 4:26:05 PM
(0)
Teacher

I found the solution and posted it somewhere on this site.

At least for me, the problem is I had recordings set up using the AAND, NNOT, etc. undocumented search keywords. Once I removed those, the problem went away.

I also encountered another post where someone determined which of the keywords no longer worked, but I didn't bookmark that page.

I found the solution and posted it somewhere on this site.

At least for me, the problem is I had recordings set up using the AAND, NNOT, etc. undocumented search keywords. Once I removed those, the problem went away.

I also encountered another post where someone determined which of the keywords no longer worked, but I didn't bookmark that page.

7 of 29 (18,294 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 6, 2013 5:11:45 AM
(0)
Expert

It's good to try to assist, but in this case the built in self test failures are definitive, the poster's hard drive is failing and replacement of the DVR is the proper corrective action.

Note that having complex search parameters set up will in fact slow the system down, so your suggestion is valid, just not in this particular case.

It's good to try to assist, but in this case the built in self test failures are definitive, the poster's hard drive is failing and replacement of the DVR is the proper corrective action.

Note that having complex search parameters set up will in fact slow the system down, so your suggestion is valid, just not in this particular case.

8 of 29 (18,294 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 3, 2014 7:45:30 PM
(0)
Contributor

Having the same problem. Called and was told by the rather rude customer service representative that they are working on it. Not sure when it will be resolved. I'm going to wait a few more days (in week two of this problem). I might request a new receiver because I'm on the protection plan. Frustrating!

Having the same problem. Called and was told by the rather rude customer service representative that they are working on it. Not sure when it will be resolved. I'm going to wait a few more days (in week two of this problem). I might request a new receiver because I'm on the protection plan. Frustrating!

9 of 29 (18,294 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 3, 2014 7:45:44 PM
(0)
Contributor

10 of 29 (18,294 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 3, 2014 8:17:26 PM
(0)
Employee

this thread is over a year old.  Perhaps you may want start a new thread

this thread is over a year old.  Perhaps you may want start a new thread

11 of 29 (18,294 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 10, 2014 4:25:31 AM
(0)
Tutor

I have been experiencing slow response/hang ups in my whole home Genie for about two weeks. Is the problem in my system or with DTV in general? I have done a reset and installed new batteries in the remote.

I have been experiencing slow response/hang ups in my whole home Genie for about two weeks. Is the problem in my system or with DTV in general? I have done a reset and installed new batteries in the remote.

12 of 29 (18,294 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 10, 2014 5:08:45 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Is this an HR34?

Is this an HR34?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

13 of 29 (18,294 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 10, 2014 6:46:11 AM
(0)
Tutor

Yes, it is a Genie HD-DVR HR34-700 with three minis. Another thing I started to notice yesterday is that the future program information on the grid no longer extends to eleven days forward. It has only nine days at present. I do not know if this is related or not.

Yes, it is a Genie HD-DVR HR34-700 with three minis. Another thing I started to notice yesterday is that the future program information on the grid no longer extends to eleven days forward. It has only nine days at present. I do not know if this is related or not.

14 of 29 (18,294 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2014 1:45:16 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have had this problem for several weeks. When i use the forward or backward button, the receiver sometimes stops responding for a minute or so, or you say it is slow to respond. soooo aggravating. so i spend most my time going back to where i was after it responds. I have the HR 34/700 also. i contacted tech support and there is nothing they can do. She said the engineers are working on a fix.... & does not know how long this will take.  well i'm due an upgrade in Nov & I really don't know if I'm going to wait on it. May need to just move on to Dish. I asked to be upgraded now because they can't fix their problem. no luck

I have had this problem for several weeks. When i use the forward or backward button, the receiver sometimes stops responding for a minute or so, or you say it is slow to respond. soooo aggravating. so i spend most my time going back to where i was after it responds. I have the HR 34/700 also. i contacted tech support and there is nothing they can do. She said the engineers are working on a fix.... & does not know how long this will take.  well i'm due an upgrade in Nov & I really don't know if I'm going to wait on it. May need to just move on to Dish. I asked to be upgraded now because they can't fix their problem. no luck

15 of 29 (18,294 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2014 1:57:22 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

As I said, it's a know software bug. We think there's a fix for this that will be released nationally soon.....

As I said, it's a know software bug. We think there's a fix for this that will be released nationally soon.....

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

16 of 29 (18,294 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2014 7:14:42 AM
(0)
Teacher

Same problem here and dtv will not replace or upgrade even if you have the protection plan.

Same problem here and dtv will not replace or upgrade even if you have the protection plan.

17 of 29 (18,294 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 15, 2014 7:18:51 PM
(0)
Contributor

The Solution for lag is new equipment.

It ain't the firmware, there will be no software fix.

It the Genie itself.

Call DTV and demand that they send you a service tech. with the new Genie the thinner smaller one that requires the new wand.

Together they are lighting fast work better and no lag ever.

This is a flaw in the equipment and no amount of tinkering by software engineers will fix it.

The  Customer service people ate told to tell us that they are working on it.

They aren't,  they aren't because they cant because there is no fix.

If you don't already have the service package you might think about ordering it first so you don't have to pay for the  new equipment.  But since the equipment they gave  you is defective  you have an argument for a free upgrade.

You can create a service necessity by going through some  service rigamorole  on the phone  ensuring that whatever you are trying to do won't work ( lie if you must)  and you need a service guy.

When he comes ask him for the new equipment.

The Solution for lag is new equipment.

It ain't the firmware, there will be no software fix.

It the Genie itself.

Call DTV and demand that they send you a service tech. with the new Genie the thinner smaller one that requires the new wand.

Together they are lighting fast work better and no lag ever.

This is a flaw in the equipment and no amount of tinkering by software engineers will fix it.

The  Customer service people ate told to tell us that they are working on it.

They aren't,  they aren't because they cant because there is no fix.

If you don't already have the service package you might think about ordering it first so you don't have to pay for the  new equipment.  But since the equipment they gave  you is defective  you have an argument for a free upgrade.

You can create a service necessity by going through some  service rigamorole  on the phone  ensuring that whatever you are trying to do won't work ( lie if you must)  and you need a service guy.

When he comes ask him for the new equipment.

18 of 29 (18,294 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 16, 2014 5:09:21 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Sorry, you're wrong, it's a software bug in the HR34. DirecTv will NOT replace the HR34 with an HR44 because there is a fix which will be in the next software release.

Sorry, you're wrong, it's a software bug in the HR34. DirecTv will NOT replace the HR34 with an HR44 because there is a fix which will be in the next software release.

19 of 29 (18,294 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 19, 2014 8:03:12 AM
(0)
Tutor

My concern is for the possibility that it is not a software problem. From my experience with many computers, I observe that my Genie HR34-700, is operating similar to a computer that needs more memory. It was responding without freezes until the entire family entered 53 Record Series commands. I fear that DTV may not even be aware that they bought equipment that theoretically could search for and record a large number of shows but in practice the speed of operations stalls due to lack of sufficient hardware capacity to perform all of the operations.

My concern is for the possibility that it is not a software problem. From my experience with many computers, I observe that my Genie HR34-700, is operating similar to a computer that needs more memory. It was responding without freezes until the entire family entered 53 Record Series commands. I fear that DTV may not even be aware that they bought equipment that theoretically could search for and record a large number of shows but in practice the speed of operations stalls due to lack of sufficient hardware capacity to perform all of the operations.

20 of 29 (18,294 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 19, 2014 3:52:34 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Well if yours is not the known software problem, you will know when DirecTV releases the fix.

Well if yours is not the known software problem, you will know when DirecTV releases the fix.

21 of 29 (18,294 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 1, 2015 4:52:35 PM
(0)
Contributor

I am having this same problem with my HR44-700. This is the only piece of equipment that I have and this all started about 5 days ago. Anytime I hit any button on my remote it lags on the receiver from 5-20 seconds. When it first pulls up the channel guide it just stays with a blue screen for about 30 seconds.

I have read every forum that I can find on the internet and have tried every reset, setting change, and system check that I could find. I was wondering if anybody else has seen this on the 44?

I am having this same problem with my HR44-700. This is the only piece of equipment that I have and this all started about 5 days ago. Anytime I hit any button on my remote it lags on the receiver from 5-20 seconds. When it first pulls up the channel guide it just stays with a blue screen for about 30 seconds.

I have read every forum that I can find on the internet and have tried every reset, setting change, and system check that I could find. I was wondering if anybody else has seen this on the 44?

22 of 29 (18,294 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 1, 2015 6:05:25 PM
(0)
Employee

Try doing an smart search for CLEARMYBOX

Try doing an smart search for CLEARMYBOX

23 of 29 (18,294 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 21, 2015 6:45:23 PM
(0)
Contributor

This is correct, I just called with the same issue.  SLOW response time on my HR34 and its getting to the point of dropping the service.  I called and chatted with support and heard exactly what I figured I would hear.  Its a known issue in the latest software release and there is no time-frame as of now for a fix release.  They will not upgrade your equipment, so its not worth trying.  They want everyone that is having this issue to call in and submit an escalation to ensure they understand the severity of the issue, so PLEASE do so if you are also having this issue.

I'm going to give it 1-2 more weeks and if its still not fixed, then I will have to change providers again.  Very frustrating to say the least.

This is correct, I just called with the same issue.  SLOW response time on my HR34 and its getting to the point of dropping the service.  I called and chatted with support and heard exactly what I figured I would hear.  Its a known issue in the latest software release and there is no time-frame as of now for a fix release.  They will not upgrade your equipment, so its not worth trying.  They want everyone that is having this issue to call in and submit an escalation to ensure they understand the severity of the issue, so PLEASE do so if you are also having this issue.

I'm going to give it 1-2 more weeks and if its still not fixed, then I will have to change providers again.  Very frustrating to say the least.

24 of 29 (18,294 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 24, 2015 8:06:14 PM
(0)
Tutor

I've been having gradual slow downs to my HR34 for months.  The last time I called Customer Service, he told me it was because I only had 30% space left for my recordings and he recommended that I keep it above 40%.  I have been keeping it above 50%, but it continues to slow down and today the programming started freezing every few minutes.  Did a reset, and then lost internet connectivity and cannot see play lists on other receivers.  Very frustrating, especially if it is a known problem and they are refusing to fix.  I have a little under a year left on my contract and will be shopping around for alternative providers.

I've been having gradual slow downs to my HR34 for months.  The last time I called Customer Service, he told me it was because I only had 30% space left for my recordings and he recommended that I keep it above 40%.  I have been keeping it above 50%, but it continues to slow down and today the programming started freezing every few minutes.  Did a reset, and then lost internet connectivity and cannot see play lists on other receivers.  Very frustrating, especially if it is a known problem and they are refusing to fix.  I have a little under a year left on my contract and will be shopping around for alternative providers.

25 of 29 (18,294 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 8, 2015 9:54:11 AM
(0)
Contributor

Same issue here in Ohio. Called in, was told it was a well known problem for several months in several states (almost exactly their words), that a software fix was being tried in several markets, but that no time table, or even an estimate, was available.  Since I called on December 4, the service has creeped almost to a halt. Using "previous" is near impossible, and elementary manually entering a new channel runs a 50% chance of getting a frozen white screen.  Of course no discount being offerred for the service that is not being provided. Very frustrating and our bill is around $140 per month due to multiple clients and various charges.  Very frustrating for a good customer to endure.

Same issue here in Ohio. Called in, was told it was a well known problem for several months in several states (almost exactly their words), that a software fix was being tried in several markets, but that no time table, or even an estimate, was available.  Since I called on December 4, the service has creeped almost to a halt. Using "previous" is near impossible, and elementary manually entering a new channel runs a 50% chance of getting a frozen white screen.  Of course no discount being offerred for the service that is not being provided. Very frustrating and our bill is around $140 per month due to multiple clients and various charges.  Very frustrating for a good customer to endure.

26 of 29 (18,294 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2016 8:23:07 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by ANC181 on Feb 5, 2016 at 8:26:46 PM

So it's been well over a year and the software fix still isn't out? I got the DVR Brain several months ago and this has always been a problem.  Takes over a minute to change the channel sometimes and a white screen appears during the wait..  I always loved having DTV until this debacle.  Just wish I had never upgraded to the DVR system.  

So it's been well over a year and the software fix still isn't out? I got the DVR Brain several months ago and this has always been a problem.  Takes over a minute to change the channel sometimes and a white screen appears during the wait..  I always loved having DTV until this debacle.  Just wish I had never upgraded to the DVR system.  

[ Edited ]
27 of 29 (12,245 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2016 11:15:02 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

ANC181 wrote:

"DVR Brain"?

What model DVR do you have?  If it's an HR34, call DirecTV and request they replace it with an HR44 Genie.  

ANC181 wrote:

"DVR Brain"?

What model DVR do you have?  If it's an HR34, call DirecTV and request they replace it with an HR44 Genie.  

28 of 29 (12,220 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 10, 2016 8:45:20 AM
(0)
Contributor

This problem of even using the arrow keys to change change channels up or down is very annoying. Yes, mlassive delays and it is increasing where before t was one in a while, not several times a day. It does this both on the main unit & Genie. Customer service says the box needs to be changed out and will cost some $ for shipping & handling. Not sure I want to go down that road since a year ago they switched me over to this newer designed box and it was fresh out of the box. I'd probably end up with a refurb that in my experience of other products, will carry on problems from the previous owner.

I am trying these steps to see how it goes https://snapguide.com/guides/fix-a-slow-or-lagging-directv-box/

This problem of even using the arrow keys to change change channels up or down is very annoying. Yes, mlassive delays and it is increasing where before t was one in a while, not several times a day. It does this both on the main unit & Genie. Customer service says the box needs to be changed out and will cost some $ for shipping & handling. Not sure I want to go down that road since a year ago they switched me over to this newer designed box and it was fresh out of the box. I'd probably end up with a refurb that in my experience of other products, will carry on problems from the previous owner.

I am trying these steps to see how it goes https://snapguide.com/guides/fix-a-slow-or-lagging-directv-box/

29 of 29 (3,638 Views)