Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Forum

Posted Sep 28, 2012
6:42:33 PM
View profile
HD menu won't display on composite output

I am new to Direct TV. I have a HR24 HD DVR with the HDMI output going to my existing HDMI distribution system. I have the resolution of the DVR fixed to 1080i. I also have the composite output (RWY) connected to a RF modulator that supplies a coax distribution for a couple of SD TV's. Everything works great on both distribution systems unless I have a coax/sd TV on and I bring up a menu, then I immediately get a pop-up error message that states "Your TV or its cables are not HD!"  and then instructs that I need to set the DVR to 480p standard definition.

I have read thru the forums and understand the problem and I see the solution frequently to use a component to composite converter.

My question is - instead of using a component --> composite adapter and the existing composite --> coax RF modulator, if I just get a component --> coax RF modulator, will that accomplish the same thing? End of error pop ups?

And the only down side is I want to hook up a Slingbox or some other component device??

Thanks . . .

I am new to Direct TV. I have a HR24 HD DVR with the HDMI output going to my existing HDMI distribution system. I have the resolution of the DVR fixed to 1080i. I also have the composite output (RWY) connected to a RF modulator that supplies a coax distribution for a couple of SD TV's. Everything works great on both distribution systems unless I have a coax/sd TV on and I bring up a menu, then I immediately get a pop-up error message that states "Your TV or its cables are not HD!"  and then instructs that I need to set the DVR to 480p standard definition.

I have read thru the forums and understand the problem and I see the solution frequently to use a component to composite converter.

My question is - instead of using a component --> composite adapter and the existing composite --> coax RF modulator, if I just get a component --> coax RF modulator, will that accomplish the same thing? End of error pop ups?

And the only down side is I want to hook up a Slingbox or some other component device??

Thanks . . .

HD menu won't display on composite output

10 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(10)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 28, 2012 7:07:18 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

yes it would work but I don't think anyone makes one.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10422&cs_id=1042205&p_id=2848&seq=1&format=2 this may help with the other.

yes it would work but I don't think anyone makes one.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10422&cs_id=1042205&p_id=2848&seq=1&format=2 this may help with the other.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: HD menu won't display on composite output

2 of 11 (3 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 28, 2012 7:30:39 PM
(0)
Employee

right.  if you are able to find a component to RF adapter, let us know.  

right.  if you are able to find a component to RF adapter, let us know.  

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

3 of 11 (3 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2012 5:29:37 AM
(0)
Guru

Can't you use this Component to Composite adapter and then hook up an RF modulator to the composite out side?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011407&p_id=7114&seq=1&format=2

Can't you use this Component to Composite adapter and then hook up an RF modulator to the composite out side?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011407&p_id=7114&seq=1&format=2

4 of 11 (3 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2012 5:44:50 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Yes, the OP is saying he does not want to do that, is looking for all the functions in a single unit. But as posted, pretty sure the "component to RF" does not exist.

Yes, the OP is saying he does not want to do that, is looking for all the functions in a single unit. But as posted, pretty sure the "component to RF" does not exist.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 11 (3 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2012 8:04:30 AM
(0)
Tutor

I am assuming, since many have this issue and I do not see a mention, that there is no way to disable the resolution checking or the popup??

I am assuming, since many have this issue and I do not see a mention, that there is no way to disable the resolution checking or the popup??

6 of 11 (3 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2012 8:32:11 AM
(0)
Expert
Quote: Originally Posted by sloweb 

You assume correctly.  These boxes were not designed for multiple outputs to both SD and HD systems.  The message was meant for a person who connected a HD box to a SD TV and was intended to help them correct their setup.

Quote: Originally Posted by sloweb 

You assume correctly.  These boxes were not designed for multiple outputs to both SD and HD systems.  The message was meant for a person who connected a HD box to a SD TV and was intended to help them correct their setup.

7 of 11 (3 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2012 9:33:15 AM
(0)
Tutor

For those of you (seems to be a lot) that have used this converter, can I pass the R & L Audio RCA jacks from the HR24 component outputs straight thru to my existing composite modulator (all RCA jacks) ? And just use the video portion of the of the converter? This saves me from having to use yet another adapter (3.5mm stereo to RCA) in this conversion chain.

For those of you (seems to be a lot) that have used this converter, can I pass the R & L Audio RCA jacks from the HR24 component outputs straight thru to my existing composite modulator (all RCA jacks) ? And just use the video portion of the of the converter? This saves me from having to use yet another adapter (3.5mm stereo to RCA) in this conversion chain.

8 of 11 (3 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2012 9:45:27 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Should work fine...

Should work fine...

9 of 11 (3 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2012 10:51:07 AM
(0)
Expert

Deleted by poster.

Deleted by poster.

10 of 11 (3 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 30, 2012 6:20:00 AM
(0)
Guru

I'm using 5 of them and only have the component video going into them and not the audio. If you use the audio it's just a pass through anyway so it doesn't matter.

I'm using 5 of them and only have the component video going into them and not the audio. If you use the audio it's just a pass through anyway so it doesn't matter.

11 of 11 (3 Views)