Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Forum

Posted Aug 10, 2014
4:03:02 PM
View profile
H25-500 Receiver - WiFi Connection

Is there any way to connect my H25-500 receivers to my home WiFi network without physically plugging them into the WiFi router?  So far they seem to require this step which makes no sense to me.  The WiFi router is in a totally different end out my house, and if I had a wired connection to it, I wouldn't need to use wireless.  I can't move my WiFi router to the receiver because that is where it physically connects to the network, and same goes for the receivers being moved to the router. With most systems you either pick from a list which the device detects, or enter the ID manually.  I'm sure I'm not the first person to run into this, but maybe there is a way to do it that I am unaware of.  Thanks!

Is there any way to connect my H25-500 receivers to my home WiFi network without physically plugging them into the WiFi router?  So far they seem to require this step which makes no sense to me.  The WiFi router is in a totally different end out my house, and if I had a wired connection to it, I wouldn't need to use wireless.  I can't move my WiFi router to the receiver because that is where it physically connects to the network, and same goes for the receivers being moved to the router. With most systems you either pick from a list which the device detects, or enter the ID manually.  I'm sure I'm not the first person to run into this, but maybe there is a way to do it that I am unaware of.  Thanks!

H25-500 Receiver - WiFi Connection

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 10, 2014 4:13:49 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

As you've discovered, the H25 does not have an ethernet cable connection, so there's no way to connect an sort of WiFi adapter to it.  In a properly configured H25 installation with Single Wire Multiswitch (SWM) dish, the installer should have provided a "Cinema Connection Kit" to bridge the coax-based SWM network to your home network for internet access.  The CCK is available in a wireless WiFi version.  

That said, there's not a lot you can do with an HD Receiver on the internet.  A DVR is required for any OnDemand stuff.   What are you hoping to do?

As you've discovered, the H25 does not have an ethernet cable connection, so there's no way to connect an sort of WiFi adapter to it.  In a properly configured H25 installation with Single Wire Multiswitch (SWM) dish, the installer should have provided a "Cinema Connection Kit" to bridge the coax-based SWM network to your home network for internet access.  The CCK is available in a wireless WiFi version.  

That said, there's not a lot you can do with an HD Receiver on the internet.  A DVR is required for any OnDemand stuff.   What are you hoping to do?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: H25-500 Receiver - WiFi Connection

2 of 6 (835 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 10, 2014 4:18:59 PM
(0)
Contributor

I was hoping to use it for OnDemand ordering, and also to connect to smartphone/tablets on the same WiFi network.  I was unaware that DVR receiver/service was needed for OnDemand.

I was hoping to use it for OnDemand ordering, and also to connect to smartphone/tablets on the same WiFi network.  I was unaware that DVR receiver/service was needed for OnDemand.

3 of 6 (835 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 10, 2014 6:34:47 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Right.  You need an HD DVR for OnDemand stuff.   If you just want to order/pay for Pay-per-view movies, you can do that using the DirecTV App on your smartphone/tablet.  No need for your Receiver to be connected to the internet just for that.

Right.  You need an HD DVR for OnDemand stuff.   If you just want to order/pay for Pay-per-view movies, you can do that using the DirecTV App on your smartphone/tablet.  No need for your Receiver to be connected to the internet just for that.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 6 (835 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 10, 2014 7:12:49 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

LItz, DirecTV® does not connects HD receivers only customers to the internet.  The CCK is only provided if the customer have an HDDVR and or Genie

LItz, DirecTV® does not connects HD receivers only customers to the internet.  The CCK is only provided if the customer have an HDDVR and or Genie

5 of 6 (835 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 10, 2014 8:40:31 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

OK, good to know peds48.   We should ask if the H25 is midnightrider's only DirecTV Receiver.

OK, good to know peds48.   We should ask if the H25 is midnightrider's only DirecTV Receiver.

6 of 6 (835 Views)