Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Community

Posted Apr 16, 2014
10:22:38 AM
View profile
Guide in Genie does not highlight channels after moving 2 spaces and often gives another channels info from the one that IS highlighted.

I just switched to DTV and have am having several issues with the Guide.  Otherwise, everything is fine.  First, I had the gray highlight on gray background issues.  I contacted CS but they kept telling me it was something else, than it actually was.  Anyway, fixed it by turning on/off.  I just saw that has been an issue on the forums and only mention in case it is relevant to my current problems I'm having with the Guide.

Right now when I scroll down the Guide, I can only move it twice before the blue highlight disappears.  To make it reappear so I can read the info on a channel, I have to go in the opposite direction to make it appear.  I was having a similar issue on going forward in time on the guide, last night.  I could only go so many spaces before it would freeze (the highlight disappearing), and would have to go up or down to make it appear, so that I could continue forward in the time slots.  I had no issues in skipping forward 12hrs.  I am not scrolling too fast, though on something like this, my speeds should not matter.  I've been with Dish and my local cable company and none, even the 8 yr old receiver I had, ever had an issue with keeping up. So I don't buy that excuse from CS.  Plus, any other menu within the Genie, I can scroll as fast as I wish, including the On Demand, etc.  But again, speed is not an issue or the cause of this problem.  Last night I was even counting to 10, before moving on to the next channel and the highlighting would still disappear and I would still often get the wrong channel info.  Typically, the info would be for the channel 2 above (again that number).  But a few times it was more.  And another time it was 4 above and in a different time slot than I was browsing in.  Often it would take a bit of work, before I could get the channel info to come up for the channel I was highlighting.  Even going up and down, over and over.  This is going to be a PAIN if it continues.  I don't mind a few odd quirks.  But this cannot be "normal" for the Genie, can it?

Thank you in advance for any guidance you can give me.

I just switched to DTV and have am having several issues with the Guide.  Otherwise, everything is fine.  First, I had the gray highlight on gray background issues.  I contacted CS but they kept telling me it was something else, than it actually was.  Anyway, fixed it by turning on/off.  I just saw that has been an issue on the forums and only mention in case it is relevant to my current problems I'm having with the Guide.

Right now when I scroll down the Guide, I can only move it twice before the blue highlight disappears.  To make it reappear so I can read the info on a channel, I have to go in the opposite direction to make it appear.  I was having a similar issue on going forward in time on the guide, last night.  I could only go so many spaces before it would freeze (the highlight disappearing), and would have to go up or down to make it appear, so that I could continue forward in the time slots.  I had no issues in skipping forward 12hrs.  I am not scrolling too fast, though on something like this, my speeds should not matter.  I've been with Dish and my local cable company and none, even the 8 yr old receiver I had, ever had an issue with keeping up. So I don't buy that excuse from CS.  Plus, any other menu within the Genie, I can scroll as fast as I wish, including the On Demand, etc.  But again, speed is not an issue or the cause of this problem.  Last night I was even counting to 10, before moving on to the next channel and the highlighting would still disappear and I would still often get the wrong channel info.  Typically, the info would be for the channel 2 above (again that number).  But a few times it was more.  And another time it was 4 above and in a different time slot than I was browsing in.  Often it would take a bit of work, before I could get the channel info to come up for the channel I was highlighting.  Even going up and down, over and over.  This is going to be a PAIN if it continues.  I don't mind a few odd quirks.  But this cannot be "normal" for the Genie, can it?

Thank you in advance for any guidance you can give me.

Guide in Genie does not highlight channels after moving 2 spaces and often gives another channels info from the one that IS highlighted.

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 16, 2014 10:28:32 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

No, not normal.  First thing to try is resetting your Genie using the red button behind the front panel access card door.   Note also that it can a few days for things to "settle down" after a new installation while the DVR updates Guide Data and performs other background tasks. 

Which Genie model do you have?  Look for label behind front panel access card door.

No, not normal.  First thing to try is resetting your Genie using the red button behind the front panel access card door.   Note also that it can a few days for things to "settle down" after a new installation while the DVR updates Guide Data and performs other background tasks. 

Which Genie model do you have?  Look for label behind front panel access card door.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Guide in Genie does not highlight channels after moving 2 spaces and often gives another channels info from the one that IS highlighted.

2 of 5 (78 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 16, 2014 11:23:53 AM
(0)
Contributor

Thanks Litzdog.  I guess it was like you said and it needed "time".  I just went in there and it didn't freak out on me when I scrolled more than two spots. :smileygrin: I figured 20 hours would have been enough for it to have settled down (when it was still messing up on me early this morning).  But I guess it needed a bit more time.  Sorry for taking up space for an unnecessary question.  But perhaps it might help another newb like myself, going through a similar thing in the future.  Shame they don't warn you about this.  All I got was, "it will take a day for the guide to completely load".  :smileyconfused:  lol

Oh, on the gray on gray thing I originally mentioned.  I know the advice is to reset using the red button.  I was actually looking for it when I accidentally turned off the Genie.  Didn't realize the panel on the front was the on/off.  Anyway, to save people time, you might suggest they try that first, then go to red button.  At least for that issue.  5 seconds off fixed it for me.

Thanks again!

Thanks Litzdog.  I guess it was like you said and it needed "time".  I just went in there and it didn't freak out on me when I scrolled more than two spots. :smileygrin: I figured 20 hours would have been enough for it to have settled down (when it was still messing up on me early this morning).  But I guess it needed a bit more time.  Sorry for taking up space for an unnecessary question.  But perhaps it might help another newb like myself, going through a similar thing in the future.  Shame they don't warn you about this.  All I got was, "it will take a day for the guide to completely load".  :smileyconfused:  lol

Oh, on the gray on gray thing I originally mentioned.  I know the advice is to reset using the red button.  I was actually looking for it when I accidentally turned off the Genie.  Didn't realize the panel on the front was the on/off.  Anyway, to save people time, you might suggest they try that first, then go to red button.  At least for that issue.  5 seconds off fixed it for me.

Thanks again!

Re: Guide in Genie does not highlight channels after moving 2 spaces and often gives another channels info from the one that IS highlighted.

3 of 5 (78 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 16, 2014 11:35:57 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Good to hear. Enjoy!

Good to hear. Enjoy!

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 5 (78 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 17, 2014 5:56:27 AM
(0)
Expert

Just so you know, some other features (Facebook etc.) , particularly those that load by Internet can take some days to completely load. 

Just so you know, some other features (Facebook etc.) , particularly those that load by Internet can take some days to completely load. 

5 of 5 (78 Views)