Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Forum

Posted Aug 7, 2014
3:26:29 PM
View profile
Genie upgrade question

I'm about to upgrade to the Genie.  I currently have the hd-dvr.  My question is, what is the best way to save my shows and movies from my current dvr so I can still have them once I upgrade?  It was suggested to use a dvd recorder or a vcr.  Not sure who still owns those.  Since the receiver has a usb on it, can I hook up a flash drive or external hard drive and transfer them that way?  Thanks in advance.

I'm about to upgrade to the Genie.  I currently have the hd-dvr.  My question is, what is the best way to save my shows and movies from my current dvr so I can still have them once I upgrade?  It was suggested to use a dvd recorder or a vcr.  Not sure who still owns those.  Since the receiver has a usb on it, can I hook up a flash drive or external hard drive and transfer them that way?  Thanks in advance.

Genie upgrade question

2 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(2)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 7, 2014 3:51:51 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

There's no easy way to save those shows etc - the recordings are encrypted to the DVR. You can copy them to a DVD recorder but a 2-hour movie will take two hours to copy. That's the ponly real way to "archive" them.

There's no easy way to save those shows etc - the recordings are encrypted to the DVR. You can copy them to a DVD recorder but a 2-hour movie will take two hours to copy. That's the ponly real way to "archive" them.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Genie upgrade question

2 of 3 (10 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 7, 2014 3:53:37 PM
(0)
Professor

Short answer is no the programs are encrypted but you can keep the HDDVR plus its $6.00 month fee until you watch the programs.

Short answer is no the programs are encrypted but you can keep the HDDVR plus its $6.00 month fee until you watch the programs.

Re: Genie upgrade question

3 of 3 (10 Views)