Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Forum

Posted Aug 7, 2014
10:50:46 PM
View profile
Genie not taping all series recording programs

I have a lot of series recordings set up and for the most part there isn't a problem.  But for about 4 or 5 shows, Genie won't record the program even though the show is set up as a series recording.  Every night I have to check to see if my shows will tape, if not I record it manually.  I recently had to press the red button on the Genie to reset it, and that didn't seem to make a difference.  Does anyone else have this problem?

I have a lot of series recordings set up and for the most part there isn't a problem.  But for about 4 or 5 shows, Genie won't record the program even though the show is set up as a series recording.  Every night I have to check to see if my shows will tape, if not I record it manually.  I recently had to press the red button on the Genie to reset it, and that didn't seem to make a difference.  Does anyone else have this problem?

Genie not taping all series recording programs

32 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(32)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 7, 2014 11:25:35 PM
(0)
Professor

You can try a search for CLEARMYBOX this will flush the guide data and start rebuilding it that may take a day or 2 to finish and then it wiill reboot the DVR, any programs set to record will record.

You can try a search for CLEARMYBOX this will flush the guide data and start rebuilding it that may take a day or 2 to finish and then it wiill reboot the DVR, any programs set to record will record.

Re: Genie not taping all series recording programs

2 of 33 (2,836 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 8, 2014 5:15:26 AM
(0)
Expert

Generally speaking, the Genie (and other HD DVRs) are pretty smart abount recording series.  A lot of newcomers get to over managing the system and constantly worry that a program will be missed.  On occasion a series will have bad coding and thus those get treated improperly but I wouldn't expect that 4 or 5 would be malfunctioning.  Give us some coming programs, dates, channel, times and we can see if the programs record for us.

Generally speaking, the Genie (and other HD DVRs) are pretty smart abount recording series.  A lot of newcomers get to over managing the system and constantly worry that a program will be missed.  On occasion a series will have bad coding and thus those get treated improperly but I wouldn't expect that 4 or 5 would be malfunctioning.  Give us some coming programs, dates, channel, times and we can see if the programs record for us.

3 of 33 (2,836 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 8, 2014 8:34:04 AM
(0)
Tutor

I have recently had this exact problem with the Listener on ION television (HD - channel 305).

I had "all episodes" set to record. The to-do list was updated correctly for a while. Then it stopped. I added a few episodes manually. But then I deleted the series from the series manager, and re-added it. And adjusted the relative priority. Not that it is an issue.  I am usually only recording one thing when the Listener is scheduled. Occasionally I will have a 2nd show recording (old movie on TCM).  But it isn't that the shows are not being recorded. The To-do list is not being updated.

After deleting and re-adding the series, I cannot tell if it is functioning correctly. 1 additional episode was added to the to-do-list. Not sure how far in advance that should be built, or how often it is rebuilt, as schedules change.

I have recently had this exact problem with the Listener on ION television (HD - channel 305).

I had "all episodes" set to record. The to-do list was updated correctly for a while. Then it stopped. I added a few episodes manually. But then I deleted the series from the series manager, and re-added it. And adjusted the relative priority. Not that it is an issue.  I am usually only recording one thing when the Listener is scheduled. Occasionally I will have a 2nd show recording (old movie on TCM).  But it isn't that the shows are not being recorded. The To-do list is not being updated.

After deleting and re-adding the series, I cannot tell if it is functioning correctly. 1 additional episode was added to the to-do-list. Not sure how far in advance that should be built, or how often it is rebuilt, as schedules change.

4 of 33 (2,836 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 8, 2014 8:38:30 AM
(0)
Tutor

IN GENERAL the Genie is pretty smart. But from time to time it starts freezing. Channels won't change, menus won't scroll, etc. And it isn't a problem with the remote ... new batteries. Then after a few seconds, the channel will change, the display will update and everything works as expected. For a few minutes, or a few days.

It is far from perfect. If I knew then what I know now, I probably would have gone for the Tivo. Even with the extra out-of-pocket expense.

IN GENERAL the Genie is pretty smart. But from time to time it starts freezing. Channels won't change, menus won't scroll, etc. And it isn't a problem with the remote ... new batteries. Then after a few seconds, the channel will change, the display will update and everything works as expected. For a few minutes, or a few days.

It is far from perfect. If I knew then what I know now, I probably would have gone for the Tivo. Even with the extra out-of-pocket expense.

5 of 33 (2,836 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 8, 2014 9:40:21 AM
(0)
Tutor

The program I have the most problems with is Rookie Blue on ABC, Thursday nights at 8:00 pm Central time.  No matter how many times I cancel the series recording and reset it, it still will not record.  I have to manually set it each week.

The program I have the most problems with is Rookie Blue on ABC, Thursday nights at 8:00 pm Central time.  No matter how many times I cancel the series recording and reset it, it still will not record.  I have to manually set it each week.

6 of 33 (2,836 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 8, 2014 9:52:51 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

That's because the First Showing date is set for Canada, it's a guide data error and ABC hasn't corrected it. Set your series link to record all episodes and you'll get them OK.

This is a common problem with series first shown in Canada and the UK. It's just laziness on the part of the channels.

That's because the First Showing date is set for Canada, it's a guide data error and ABC hasn't corrected it. Set your series link to record all episodes and you'll get them OK.

This is a common problem with series first shown in Canada and the UK. It's just laziness on the part of the channels.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

7 of 33 (2,836 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 8, 2014 12:51:31 PM
(0)
Tutor

You can correct that by setting "record all" instead of "record new." Which is how I have The Listener set. Except of course it doesn't work either.

It. Is. Broken. Like so much with Genie.

You can correct that by setting "record all" instead of "record new." Which is how I have The Listener set. Except of course it doesn't work either.

It. Is. Broken. Like so much with Genie.

8 of 33 (2,836 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 8, 2014 2:56:05 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

None of the DirecTV DVRs will record duplicates, that is episodes that have been recorded in the last 30 daye (even if they are not on the disk). If you want those, you will have to select each episode manually.

None of the DirecTV DVRs will record duplicates, that is episodes that have been recorded in the last 30 daye (even if they are not on the disk). If you want those, you will have to select each episode manually.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

9 of 33 (2,836 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 8, 2014 4:48:35 PM
(0)
Tutor

Yes, that is true, but I don't think that anyone posting on the forums on this topic is trying to re-record shows that they just saw 30 days ago. I could be mistaken.

I am certainly not trying to record shows I recorded 30 days ago. I am trying to record all of a show I have never seen before. That was first broadcast in Canada some time ago... so recording "new shows" doesn't work, because the "original air date" is sometime last year - or before.

Yes, that is true, but I don't think that anyone posting on the forums on this topic is trying to re-record shows that they just saw 30 days ago. I could be mistaken.

I am certainly not trying to record shows I recorded 30 days ago. I am trying to record all of a show I have never seen before. That was first broadcast in Canada some time ago... so recording "new shows" doesn't work, because the "original air date" is sometime last year - or before.

10 of 33 (2,836 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 8, 2014 5:30:50 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

That's what I said in my post above, did you not see the post?

That's what I said in my post above, did you not see the post?

11 of 33 (2,836 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2015 6:36:45 AM
(0)
Contributor

I am having the same problem with my newly-installed Genie. This was rarely a problem with my old DirecTV DVR, which fried itself (RIP). I only had problems with British shows that first broadcast overseas.

But, even though I set up Agent Carter to record (all episodes). Nothing. Had to go into the guide and record manually. Heartland (all episodes) for my MIL.Taped the old stuff, not the new one. Galavant (all episodes). Nothing. Had to set it up manually.

Also, I used to be able to schedule future shows that wouldn't air for a couple of months, like Fargo, Broadchurch, etc. Now....nope. I have to put notes in my calendar to remember to set up recordings closer to season premiere dates.

Seriously, these kind of DVR issues are why I switched from cable years ago. TimeWarner's interface couldn't recognize a new show from an old show, and I'd end up with 20 episodes of the Simpsons. Nobody should have to go into their system every few days to make sure shows are recording correctly.

This is ridiculous. Help DirecTV!

I am having the same problem with my newly-installed Genie. This was rarely a problem with my old DirecTV DVR, which fried itself (RIP). I only had problems with British shows that first broadcast overseas.

But, even though I set up Agent Carter to record (all episodes). Nothing. Had to go into the guide and record manually. Heartland (all episodes) for my MIL.Taped the old stuff, not the new one. Galavant (all episodes). Nothing. Had to set it up manually.

Also, I used to be able to schedule future shows that wouldn't air for a couple of months, like Fargo, Broadchurch, etc. Now....nope. I have to put notes in my calendar to remember to set up recordings closer to season premiere dates.

Seriously, these kind of DVR issues are why I switched from cable years ago. TimeWarner's interface couldn't recognize a new show from an old show, and I'd end up with 20 episodes of the Simpsons. Nobody should have to go into their system every few days to make sure shows are recording correctly.

This is ridiculous. Help DirecTV!

12 of 33 (2,836 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2015 8:56:41 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Did the episodes actually not record or are you just looking at the to-do list?

Did the episodes actually not record or are you just looking at the to-do list?

13 of 33 (2,836 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2015 10:23:14 AM
(0)
Contributor

They did not record.

Sent from my iPhone

They did not record.

Sent from my iPhone

14 of 33 (2,836 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 21, 2015 7:44:37 AM
(0)
Tutor

The fact that an episode is repeated within 30 days reflects poor programming of episodes on DirecTv's part It appears to me the scheduling of episodes has has been placed in shuffle mode rather than sequential. My music playlists repeat songs quite often on small lists in this mode. I tried it a few times and found it unacceptable. A shuffle before starting each list and then playing sequentially proved to be a more pleasing alternative. A dislike repeats too soon but more I dislike bring ready to watch a program that did not even get recorded due to irresponsible programming.

The 30 day between episodes limit doesn't seem to widely known but is TRUE. Don't  waste a lot of time on other suggested fixes. If your series manager and priorities settings are correct, check the last airing date.

The fact that an episode is repeated within 30 days reflects poor programming of episodes on DirecTv's part It appears to me the scheduling of episodes has has been placed in shuffle mode rather than sequential. My music playlists repeat songs quite often on small lists in this mode. I tried it a few times and found it unacceptable. A shuffle before starting each list and then playing sequentially proved to be a more pleasing alternative. A dislike repeats too soon but more I dislike bring ready to watch a program that did not even get recorded due to irresponsible programming.

The 30 day between episodes limit doesn't seem to widely known but is TRUE. Don't  waste a lot of time on other suggested fixes. If your series manager and priorities settings are correct, check the last airing date.

15 of 33 (2,836 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 21, 2015 12:29:27 PM
(0)
Professor

The channels decide what they show and when DTV has nothing to do with it,

The channels decide what they show and when DTV has nothing to do with it,

16 of 33 (2,836 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 21, 2015 12:42:25 PM
(0)
Tutor

Maybe you could forward my message to them. It is extremely irritating to be so problematic yet so easy to solve. I see that I'm not alone in my disgust with the problems caused by it.

Maybe you could forward my message to them. It is extremely irritating to be so problematic yet so easy to solve. I see that I'm not alone in my disgust with the problems caused by it.

17 of 33 (2,836 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 21, 2015 3:53:12 PM
(0)
Professor

We are all customers here, you can email them directly.

We are all customers here, you can email them directly.

18 of 33 (2,836 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 12, 2015 10:05:08 PM
(0)
Contributor

I had the exact same problem with Agent Carter and I am now having the same problem with shows that are just now starting. I thought I was going crazy, but its getting worse. I now have seen it happen with 7 shows. I am going to try changing from"new" to "all" has anyone had any luck with anything else?

I had the exact same problem with Agent Carter and I am now having the same problem with shows that are just now starting. I thought I was going crazy, but its getting worse. I now have seen it happen with 7 shows. I am going to try changing from"new" to "all" has anyone had any luck with anything else?

19 of 33 (2,836 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 13, 2015 8:50:04 AM
(0)
Tutor

Yeah, they told me it is the order that the networks play the shows. I constantly have blanks in my programming because the program last aired date is less than 30 days ago.

We are not paying the networks and therefore have little or no leverage in the matter. It is disgusting to think that the networks think that we have such a short memory span that we do not remember what we watched a couple of days ago!

If DirecTV chooses to ignore its customers serious calls for help by expecting us to force the LAZY network programmers to clean up their REALLY BAD series playback, we had better start looking for a streamer that allows sequential playback

Yeah, they told me it is the order that the networks play the shows. I constantly have blanks in my programming because the program last aired date is less than 30 days ago.

We are not paying the networks and therefore have little or no leverage in the matter. It is disgusting to think that the networks think that we have such a short memory span that we do not remember what we watched a couple of days ago!

If DirecTV chooses to ignore its customers serious calls for help by expecting us to force the LAZY network programmers to clean up their REALLY BAD series playback, we had better start looking for a streamer that allows sequential playback

20 of 33 (2,836 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 13, 2015 11:13:29 AM
(0)
Guru

All D*'s DVR's are at the mercy of the Program providers - They Put the program information for each show by channel  (NOT D*) the DVR's read the program info and if the gudie is not flagged as First Run or repeat all the DVR's Will record it as NEW.

ALL D*-Comcast-(knsert your provider here) Pass the programs uplink to the SAT and the Down link to you = Garbage in = Garbage out- all they do is pass the saving on to you Smiley Happy They don't control the guide informaton (or) servers for ondemand cahnnels all they do is run the pipe.

All D*'s DVR's are at the mercy of the Program providers - They Put the program information for each show by channel  (NOT D*) the DVR's read the program info and if the gudie is not flagged as First Run or repeat all the DVR's Will record it as NEW.

ALL D*-Comcast-(knsert your provider here) Pass the programs uplink to the SAT and the Down link to you = Garbage in = Garbage out- all they do is pass the saving on to you Smiley Happy They don't control the guide informaton (or) servers for ondemand cahnnels all they do is run the pipe.

21 of 33 (2,836 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 26, 2016 4:04:21 PM
(0)
Voyager

I'm having the same issue. DVR does not record any series. I had to go through all my shows and record manually. (And I will have to continue checking and make sure I record each show weekly.)  Tech support tells me it's a "known problem" and the techs are trying to fix it. What I have found is each show is set automatically to "All Channels".  For instance, Agent Carter in my area is channel 13, yet the default on series recording is All Channels. I cannot change that option. I guess this is our "Welcome to the ATT Family"...time to explore my options...

I'm having the same issue. DVR does not record any series. I had to go through all my shows and record manually. (And I will have to continue checking and make sure I record each show weekly.)  Tech support tells me it's a "known problem" and the techs are trying to fix it. What I have found is each show is set automatically to "All Channels".  For instance, Agent Carter in my area is channel 13, yet the default on series recording is All Channels. I cannot change that option. I guess this is our "Welcome to the ATT Family"...time to explore my options...

22 of 33 (2,382 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 26, 2016 4:29:07 PM
(0)
Former Employee

@chrismweaver You would have to delete out the previous series from the Series Manager and set it up again. If using the search feature when setting up the series to record, choose the upcoming showings that show a particular channel, instead of the option that has 'All Channels' next to it.

@chrismweaver You would have to delete out the previous series from the Series Manager and set it up again. If using the search feature when setting up the series to record, choose the upcoming showings that show a particular channel, instead of the option that has 'All Channels' next to it.

23 of 33 (2,377 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 26, 2016 4:59:36 PM
(0)
Master

DTV changed the way that the search works the default setting now is to record all programs with that name on any channel or time and on demand as stated you need to find that programs name,time and channel or just use the guide.

DTV changed the way that the search works the default setting now is to record all programs with that name on any channel or time and on demand as stated you need to find that programs name,time and channel or just use the guide.

24 of 33 (2,359 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 26, 2016 5:03:21 PM
(0)
Voyager
Edited by chrismweaver on Jan 26, 2016 at 5:12:07 PM

@Sky456  I tried that, a few times actually...to no avail. I came at it from every way I could, including from the guide. I believe it's a DVR software problem with one of the last few updates. The last update my system had was on Jan 20th, but I was having the problem before that.

Doing it the way you suggest won't get the system to automatically record each upcoming episode. I can record this way, but it happens only manually...one show at a time and repeat next week.

@Sky456  I tried that, a few times actually...to no avail. I came at it from every way I could, including from the guide. I believe it's a DVR software problem with one of the last few updates. The last update my system had was on Jan 20th, but I was having the problem before that.

Doing it the way you suggest won't get the system to automatically record each upcoming episode. I can record this way, but it happens only manually...one show at a time and repeat next week.

[ Edited ]
25 of 33 (2,355 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 26, 2016 5:55:44 PM
(0)
Master

If it was a software problem there would be more posts here.  Have you reset the receiver if so try a search for clearmybox this will dump the guide data and start it rebuilding that takes a day or 2 to rebuild. If that doesn't work then the only thing I can think of is to replace it.

If it was a software problem there would be more posts here.  Have you reset the receiver if so try a search for clearmybox this will dump the guide data and start it rebuilding that takes a day or 2 to rebuild. If that doesn't work then the only thing I can think of is to replace it.

26 of 33 (2,328 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 26, 2016 7:05:20 PM
(0)
Voyager
Edited by chrismweaver on Jan 26, 2016 at 7:10:29 PM

@shannon02 Yes, I did reset the receiver yesterday. Tomorrow I will re-check it to make sure the guide is up to date and post the results. Thanks!

@shannon02 Yes, I did reset the receiver yesterday. Tomorrow I will re-check it to make sure the guide is up to date and post the results. Thanks!

[ Edited ]
27 of 33 (2,306 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 11, 2016 8:23:43 PM
(0)
Contributor

I'm having the same issue with DC Legends of Tomorrow. Was it, too, first aired in The Great White North. Changing to record all, deleting and re-adding both tried: no joy. These are new episodes and they both did not record and were not on the to-do list.

I'll try again and move it up in priority as well and will keep reading. 

Thanks, good thread,

TH

I'm having the same issue with DC Legends of Tomorrow. Was it, too, first aired in The Great White North. Changing to record all, deleting and re-adding both tried: no joy. These are new episodes and they both did not record and were not on the to-do list.

I'll try again and move it up in priority as well and will keep reading. 

Thanks, good thread,

TH

28 of 33 (2,063 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 21, 2016 1:08:30 AM
(0)
Contributor

Yep having same problem with DC's Legends of Tomorrow. Also the new series Vinyl on HBO. Even after I manually record upcoming episodes it still shows (0) for the scheduled recordings on the series manager list.

Yep having same problem with DC's Legends of Tomorrow. Also the new series Vinyl on HBO. Even after I manually record upcoming episodes it still shows (0) for the scheduled recordings on the series manager list.

29 of 33 (1,877 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 22, 2016 6:57:30 PM
(0)
Contributor
Mine will show that it will record in the to record list and then not record. It will also show that it is recording in the guide but it isn't really recording. It's getting really frustrating. Especially when I will lose all my recordings if I get a replacement genie to try to fix the problem!
Mine will show that it will record in the to record list and then not record. It will also show that it is recording in the guide but it isn't really recording. It's getting really frustrating. Especially when I will lose all my recordings if I get a replacement genie to try to fix the problem!

30 of 33 (1,789 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments