Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Forum

Posted Jul 26, 2014
12:49:57 PM
Genie non responsive and resetting without losing info?

Ever since I received my Genie over 18 months ago I have been having the non-responsive to commands problem, it seems by my research that there is really NO fix for this.  To me it seems that Directv has very sloppy code writers and are trying to put 10 pounds of stuff into a 5 pound bucket and overloading the CPU capability of the Genie.

The reset option seems to be the only thing that will improve the Genie's performance but the downside is that I will lose all of my programming as well as recorded shows.  I would call for a new Genie but the same downside exists.  Has anyone found a work around for this?  There are USB ports in the Genie (and have been on previous DVRs) that seem useless, I have always wondered why Directv hasn't utilized these ports to at least make it possible to copy shows and settings from a receiver to a replacement receiver.  My only rational conclusion is that if they did that it would make it more easy for customers to request replacements and they do not want that.

I am asking this as my last resort before dropping Directv and switching to Uverse.

Ever since I received my Genie over 18 months ago I have been having the non-responsive to commands problem, it seems by my research that there is really NO fix for this.  To me it seems that Directv has very sloppy code writers and are trying to put 10 pounds of stuff into a 5 pound bucket and overloading the CPU capability of the Genie.

The reset option seems to be the only thing that will improve the Genie's performance but the downside is that I will lose all of my programming as well as recorded shows.  I would call for a new Genie but the same downside exists.  Has anyone found a work around for this?  There are USB ports in the Genie (and have been on previous DVRs) that seem useless, I have always wondered why Directv hasn't utilized these ports to at least make it possible to copy shows and settings from a receiver to a replacement receiver.  My only rational conclusion is that if they did that it would make it more easy for customers to request replacements and they do not want that.

I am asking this as my last resort before dropping Directv and switching to Uverse.

Genie non responsive and resetting without losing info?

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 26, 2014 1:20:38 PM
(0)
Scholar

Warm or cold reset will not delete any of your recorded programmings. The USB ports, as I recall, is if you want to use an external storage instead of the internal HDD of the HDDVR. Customers not being able to transfer recorded programmings to another HDDVR is to avoid repurcussions from legal issues (copyrights and stuffs) from producers and movie companies.

Warm or cold reset will not delete any of your recorded programmings. The USB ports, as I recall, is if you want to use an external storage instead of the internal HDD of the HDDVR. Customers not being able to transfer recorded programmings to another HDDVR is to avoid repurcussions from legal issues (copyrights and stuffs) from producers and movie companies.

Re: Genie non responsive and resetting without losing info?

2 of 4 (7 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 26, 2014 2:31:43 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Not quite, USB ports are used for the AM21 accessory OTA tuner.   External storage MUST be eSATA

Not quite, USB ports are used for the AM21 accessory OTA tuner.   External storage MUST be eSATA

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 4 (7 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 26, 2014 2:33:02 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

there could be a variety of reasons for non-responsiveness, one of them could be IR interference.  Have you tried an RF remote?

there could be a variety of reasons for non-responsiveness, one of them could be IR interference.  Have you tried an RF remote?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 4 (7 Views)