Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Community

Posted Sep 4, 2013
5:27:57 PM
View profile
Genie keeps dropping Internet connection. Have to rest and repeat system setup. Why is this happening?

Any ideas?

Any ideas?

Genie keeps dropping Internet connection. Have to rest and repeat system setup. Why is this happening?

46 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(46)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 4, 2013 5:32:38 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Need more info ....

What model Genie DVR?

What model Genie Client boxes? How many?

What are your exact symptoms?  Error messages?

How is your Genie connected to your home network for internet access?

When was your Genie installed?   Has it ever worked properly?

Need more info ....

What model Genie DVR?

What model Genie Client boxes? How many?

What are your exact symptoms?  Error messages?

How is your Genie connected to your home network for internet access?

When was your Genie installed?   Has it ever worked properly?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Genie keeps dropping Internet connection. Have to rest and repeat system setup. Why is this happening?

2 of 47 (3,069 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 4, 2013 5:46:09 PM
(0)
Contributor

HR44 and HR22, only one.  Genie installed successfully on 8/23. The installer connected to my wireless router just fine. It worked for a week and when I tried to view on demand show, it couldn't find Internet connection. I rest the Genie and repeated network setup and it connected. Two days later and it did the same thing.  I rest again and repeated network setup and it connected.  Don't understand why it keeps dropping.  iPads, laptop, and cell phones all work fine, no Internet dropping issues.

HR44 and HR22, only one.  Genie installed successfully on 8/23. The installer connected to my wireless router just fine. It worked for a week and when I tried to view on demand show, it couldn't find Internet connection. I rest the Genie and repeated network setup and it connected. Two days later and it did the same thing.  I rest again and repeated network setup and it connected.  Don't understand why it keeps dropping.  iPads, laptop, and cell phones all work fine, no Internet dropping issues.

Re: Genie keeps dropping Internet connection. Have to rest and repeat system setup. Why is this happening?

3 of 47 (3,069 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 4, 2013 5:52:37 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Could be a router lease issue or weak WiFi  signal.  best to hard wire the Genie if at all possible

Could be a router lease issue or weak WiFi  signal.  best to hard wire the Genie if at all possible

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Genie keeps dropping Internet connection. Have to rest and repeat system setup.  Why is this happening?

4 of 47 (3,069 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2013 4:28:40 AM
(0)
Expert

I keep a 100ft Ethernet cable in my tool box, really handy for troubleshooting.  If you were to disable the HR44's wireless and connect the Ethernet to the DVR and the router, you'd soon know if the dropping of the Internet was due to a wireless problem.  Personally if it were up to me Directv would use all hard wire installations and drop the wireless.

I keep a 100ft Ethernet cable in my tool box, really handy for troubleshooting.  If you were to disable the HR44's wireless and connect the Ethernet to the DVR and the router, you'd soon know if the dropping of the Internet was due to a wireless problem.  Personally if it were up to me Directv would use all hard wire installations and drop the wireless.

5 of 47 (3,069 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2013 4:19:59 PM
(0)
Contributor

I'm having the exact same issue.  It worked fine for about a week, and now even after repeating the network set up it won't connect.  Every other device in the house works fine.   WIFI signal is very strong, so this makes no sense.

I'm having the exact same issue.  It worked fine for about a week, and now even after repeating the network set up it won't connect.  Every other device in the house works fine.   WIFI signal is very strong, so this makes no sense.

6 of 47 (3,069 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 6, 2013 5:15:34 PM
(0)
Contributor

Same here.  I just noticed this within the last few days that my HR34 forgot my Wi-Fi network out of nowhere.  I am not trying to reconnect it, but it keeps saying my Wi-Fi password is invalid.  I've tested the password on other devices and they're all fine and work correctly.  My Wi-Fi has been working well for about 3 months so not sure why it would have started now.

Same here.  I just noticed this within the last few days that my HR34 forgot my Wi-Fi network out of nowhere.  I am not trying to reconnect it, but it keeps saying my Wi-Fi password is invalid.  I've tested the password on other devices and they're all fine and work correctly.  My Wi-Fi has been working well for about 3 months so not sure why it would have started now.

7 of 47 (3,069 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 9, 2013 6:08:54 PM
(0)
Tutor

Any resolution? I have the identical problem. Please follow up if you figure it out, I'm 10 days into my subscription and getting frustrated. Thank you!

Any resolution? I have the identical problem. Please follow up if you figure it out, I'm 10 days into my subscription and getting frustrated. Thank you!

8 of 47 (3,069 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 9, 2013 6:10:25 PM
(0)
Tutor

Any resolution? I have the identical problem. I have iPads, iPhones, laptops, etc. all connected just fine, as well as upgraded wireless and a brand new Motorola SBG6580 that makes all of my devices work wonderfully. Except the @#$% Genie.

Please follow up if you figure it out, I'm 10 days into my subscription and getting frustrated. Thank you!

Any resolution? I have the identical problem. I have iPads, iPhones, laptops, etc. all connected just fine, as well as upgraded wireless and a brand new Motorola SBG6580 that makes all of my devices work wonderfully. Except the @#$% Genie.

Please follow up if you figure it out, I'm 10 days into my subscription and getting frustrated. Thank you!

9 of 47 (3,069 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2013 3:42:51 AM
(0)
Expert

Passwords on Directv devices must be alphanumeric, no punctuation or other symbols, letters and numbers only.

Passwords on Directv devices must be alphanumeric, no punctuation or other symbols, letters and numbers only.

10 of 47 (3,069 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2013 3:58:51 AM
(0)
Contributor

I finally got it to work-  I reset the Genie, the modem, and did a firmware update on my router (airport express) and then reset the network settings and repeat system setup and it worked!  I was getting frustrated myself, I've had my system less than 2 weeks.  I called Directv and they sent me a network box which I'll keep as a back up in case this happens again and I can't reset it.  Hope you get yours figured out!

I finally got it to work-  I reset the Genie, the modem, and did a firmware update on my router (airport express) and then reset the network settings and repeat system setup and it worked!  I was getting frustrated myself, I've had my system less than 2 weeks.  I called Directv and they sent me a network box which I'll keep as a back up in case this happens again and I can't reset it.  Hope you get yours figured out!

11 of 47 (3,069 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2013 12:08:22 PM
(0)
Contributor

Having same issue with my Genie. Keeps loosing wireless Internet connection while everything else maintains connection and able to stream. Last fix was unplugging the router to reset it, so it could recognize the Genie. That lasted for two days. Before that, unplugged Genie box  to reset and that worked till I shut it off. I've only had Direct TV for a couple of weeks now, and this has been a nonstop issue.

Having same issue with my Genie. Keeps loosing wireless Internet connection while everything else maintains connection and able to stream. Last fix was unplugging the router to reset it, so it could recognize the Genie. That lasted for two days. Before that, unplugged Genie box  to reset and that worked till I shut it off. I've only had Direct TV for a couple of weeks now, and this has been a nonstop issue.

12 of 47 (3,069 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2013 4:49:35 PM
(0)
Contributor

NO resolution, still have the same issue as all of you.

NO resolution, still have the same issue as all of you.

13 of 47 (3,069 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2013 11:04:54 PM
(0)
Administrator

There are too many complaints on this forum and elsewhere, for this not to be a problem with the genie itself. I am having the same problem. We all need to start complaining on facebook, twitter, and every other social media site about this problem. For Directv will not do anything about it until that happens. I have had my genie for about a month now and have constantly had to screw around with the internet connection the whole time.

There are too many complaints on this forum and elsewhere, for this not to be a problem with the genie itself. I am having the same problem. We all need to start complaining on facebook, twitter, and every other social media site about this problem. For Directv will not do anything about it until that happens. I have had my genie for about a month now and have constantly had to screw around with the internet connection the whole time.

14 of 47 (3,069 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2013 11:10:32 PM
(0)
Contributor

I noticed that there was a recent software upgrade by the settings of my

Genie. I wonder if that has something to do with it?

I noticed that there was a recent software upgrade by the settings of my

Genie. I wonder if that has something to do with it?

15 of 47 (3,069 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2013 11:35:33 PM
(0)
Administrator

Looks like it has been an issue from the start, based on the dates I have seen on some of the posts. The recent update, probably made it worse or as in most cases, fixed one thing and broke something else.

Looks like it has been an issue from the start, based on the dates I have seen on some of the posts. The recent update, probably made it worse or as in most cases, fixed one thing and broke something else.

16 of 47 (3,069 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2013 11:51:56 PM
(0)
Contributor

17 of 47 (3,069 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2013 2:13:12 AM
(0)
Contributor

Update: Hubby ran 100 ft Ethernet cable through attic from router to TV. Directv tech came and hooked it up with additional box. Everything now seems to be working fine. Time will tell. Fingers crossed!Smiley Happy

Update: Hubby ran 100 ft Ethernet cable through attic from router to TV. Directv tech came and hooked it up with additional box. Everything now seems to be working fine. Time will tell. Fingers crossed!Smiley Happy

18 of 47 (3,069 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2013 10:57:40 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Yup, nothings beats a good solid hard wired conenction 
Yup, nothings beats a good solid hard wired conenction 

19 of 47 (3,069 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 14, 2013 3:29:48 PM
(0)
Tutor

FYI - weak singal appears to be the cause IN MY CASE. I bought a range extender ($60) and plugged it in about halfway between my wireless router and Genie, problem immediately solved. (Also switched my router to 5ghz instead of 2.4ghz. The signal is stronger with 5ghz, but the range is shorter. So, again, the range extender helps with this as well.)

I have been very frustrated but haven't dropped a connection for two days now. I recommend moving your router as close as possible to your Genie to test this theory, even if you buy a long length of CAT5 and run it down a hallway for a few minutes just to test the impact of signal strength on your Genie's ability to hold the connection.

I have an HR44/200 Genie - forced firmware update by hitting 02468 right after hitting red reset button

Motorola Surfboard SBG6580

~40' between my router/modem and my Genie, walls, hallway, etc.

Several other devices in the house, 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, 2 laptops, a wireless printer, etc.

All devices set to a unique IP address, no conflicts, but still natural interference

MAC license time set to 6 months

Changed wireless channel from 6 to 11 (although 6 or 11 were said to be the most interference free)

Original problem: Genie would connect fine, then be able to download (slowly) about 5% of a program before getting kicked off. Hitting the dash button on a normal viewing screen would say something like Internet: Cannot detect. Several calls to DTV, they finally told me to call the technician who did the install. The very first thing he asked was about signal strength.

The range extender actually creates a new derivative network with your main wireless network as the 'parent'. After buying the extender (Belkin from Best Buy) and setting it up (with the same security/passwords as the parent, took 2 minutes), the Genie then recognized both my parent network and the sub-network, only Genie showed the new network had full signal strength (my original home network had one or two 'bars'.

Of course, as the forum veterans will point out, nobody has the same situation, equipment, etc. So I recommend the simple step of (even if it's ugly / not permenant) moving your router close to the Genie to test the fix prior to spending the $60. However, DirecTV has limited ability to effect your signal strength (short of sending you a range extender) - especially from a call center in

Georgia. Do your best to patiently go step by step and figure out what the issue might be, it was the fundamental solution to my problem rather than shaking my fist at DirecTV.

Eric J. Hanson

FYI - weak singal appears to be the cause IN MY CASE. I bought a range extender ($60) and plugged it in about halfway between my wireless router and Genie, problem immediately solved. (Also switched my router to 5ghz instead of 2.4ghz. The signal is stronger with 5ghz, but the range is shorter. So, again, the range extender helps with this as well.)

I have been very frustrated but haven't dropped a connection for two days now. I recommend moving your router as close as possible to your Genie to test this theory, even if you buy a long length of CAT5 and run it down a hallway for a few minutes just to test the impact of signal strength on your Genie's ability to hold the connection.

I have an HR44/200 Genie - forced firmware update by hitting 02468 right after hitting red reset button

Motorola Surfboard SBG6580

~40' between my router/modem and my Genie, walls, hallway, etc.

Several other devices in the house, 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, 2 laptops, a wireless printer, etc.

All devices set to a unique IP address, no conflicts, but still natural interference

MAC license time set to 6 months

Changed wireless channel from 6 to 11 (although 6 or 11 were said to be the most interference free)

Original problem: Genie would connect fine, then be able to download (slowly) about 5% of a program before getting kicked off. Hitting the dash button on a normal viewing screen would say something like Internet: Cannot detect. Several calls to DTV, they finally told me to call the technician who did the install. The very first thing he asked was about signal strength.

The range extender actually creates a new derivative network with your main wireless network as the 'parent'. After buying the extender (Belkin from Best Buy) and setting it up (with the same security/passwords as the parent, took 2 minutes), the Genie then recognized both my parent network and the sub-network, only Genie showed the new network had full signal strength (my original home network had one or two 'bars'.

Of course, as the forum veterans will point out, nobody has the same situation, equipment, etc. So I recommend the simple step of (even if it's ugly / not permenant) moving your router close to the Genie to test the fix prior to spending the $60. However, DirecTV has limited ability to effect your signal strength (short of sending you a range extender) - especially from a call center in

Georgia. Do your best to patiently go step by step and figure out what the issue might be, it was the fundamental solution to my problem rather than shaking my fist at DirecTV.

Eric J. Hanson

20 of 47 (3,069 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 14, 2013 5:00:25 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Glad you figure it out.  as I posted earlier on this thread, this issue can be caused by a router lease issue or weak WiFi  signal.  best to hard wire the Genie if at all possible.

Glad you figure it out.  as I posted earlier on this thread, this issue can be caused by a router lease issue or weak WiFi  signal.  best to hard wire the Genie if at all possible.

Re: Genie keeps dropping Internet connection. Have to rest and repeat system setup.  Why is this happening?

21 of 47 (3,069 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 15, 2013 6:49:24 AM
(0)
Contributor

22 of 47 (3,069 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 16, 2013 5:46:34 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have had my Genie for about a month now and we've been having this same problem the whole time. All other devices in the house work fine. Strong signal. The only way I seem to be able to get it connected again is to hit the reset button on the front of the Genie, and then it connects up right away. I am also having problems watching live TV on my laptop. I made sure that the Genie is connected (which it is), and that my laptop is connected to the same WiFi (we only have one WiFi network in the house), and yet it keeps telling me this: 'Connect to your home network to stream. This channels is available to stream only when your computer is connected to the same network that your HD DVR is connected to. Error .'

It is REALLY frustrating since it IS connected to the same network. Are these issues connected in some way?

I have had my Genie for about a month now and we've been having this same problem the whole time. All other devices in the house work fine. Strong signal. The only way I seem to be able to get it connected again is to hit the reset button on the front of the Genie, and then it connects up right away. I am also having problems watching live TV on my laptop. I made sure that the Genie is connected (which it is), and that my laptop is connected to the same WiFi (we only have one WiFi network in the house), and yet it keeps telling me this: 'Connect to your home network to stream. This channels is available to stream only when your computer is connected to the same network that your HD DVR is connected to. Error .'

It is REALLY frustrating since it IS connected to the same network. Are these issues connected in some way?

23 of 47 (3,069 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 19, 2013 9:22:04 AM
(0)
Contributor

Another new Genie customer (not new to DTV).  Even with one receiver I was told I had to get the "whole home" service, and as such, the connection had to be wireless.  I was able to view some VOD content the other day, but this morning found my receiver complaining about not being on the internet.

Re-running the setup was fruitless.  Genie shows my AP with 3 out of 4 bars.  All other wireless devices in house have no issues.  Tried running setup 3 times before hard resetting receiver.  Ran setup again, it worked this time.  By the time I got to the VOD content, received the same "no internet connection" warning.

Google auto completed "directv genie wifi problems" and I ended up here.  Good to know I'm not the only one.  I'll be calling support when I'm home to make sure they know.

26Mbps down / 5 Mbps up

Another new Genie customer (not new to DTV).  Even with one receiver I was told I had to get the "whole home" service, and as such, the connection had to be wireless.  I was able to view some VOD content the other day, but this morning found my receiver complaining about not being on the internet.

Re-running the setup was fruitless.  Genie shows my AP with 3 out of 4 bars.  All other wireless devices in house have no issues.  Tried running setup 3 times before hard resetting receiver.  Ran setup again, it worked this time.  By the time I got to the VOD content, received the same "no internet connection" warning.

Google auto completed "directv genie wifi problems" and I ended up here.  Good to know I'm not the only one.  I'll be calling support when I'm home to make sure they know.

26Mbps down / 5 Mbps up

24 of 47 (3,069 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 19, 2013 10:33:09 AM
(0)
Contributor

I've got the same problem.  I have the HR-44 with 2 minis.  I've called tech support a couple times and after 30-60 minutes of back and forth with the same questions, I've just given up.  I'm hoping to find a solution here as all TS wants is for me to keep resetting my dvr!

I've got the same problem.  I have the HR-44 with 2 minis.  I've called tech support a couple times and after 30-60 minutes of back and forth with the same questions, I've just given up.  I'm hoping to find a solution here as all TS wants is for me to keep resetting my dvr!

25 of 47 (3,069 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 19, 2013 10:38:49 AM
(0)
Contributor

I have the exact setup as you!  My install was August 2013 and I'm almost to the point of packing it up and returning to cable. Tech Support treats my issue as if its only happening to me.

I have the exact setup as you!  My install was August 2013 and I'm almost to the point of packing it up and returning to cable. Tech Support treats my issue as if its only happening to me.

26 of 47 (3,069 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 19, 2013 11:33:44 AM
(0)
Teacher

I recently had my HR44 replaced but I think it was a refurb unit. I gave up on wifi and am now connected with a wire.  just don't feel like calling directv again.  The odd thing is that when I was on wifi and tried to reset the network via the menu, the HR44 was unable to see any wifi networks.

Either way, I notice I needed to reset the genie when something weird happens like when raid clouds come and disrupt the sat signal.

I recently had my HR44 replaced but I think it was a refurb unit. I gave up on wifi and am now connected with a wire.  just don't feel like calling directv again.  The odd thing is that when I was on wifi and tried to reset the network via the menu, the HR44 was unable to see any wifi networks.

Either way, I notice I needed to reset the genie when something weird happens like when raid clouds come and disrupt the sat signal.

27 of 47 (3,069 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 27, 2013 6:37:46 PM
(0)
Tutor

Same exact problem here.  Hoping someone has a solution since so far DTV tech support hasn't been able to resolve this for me at all.  24Mbps down/4 up.

Same exact problem here.  Hoping someone has a solution since so far DTV tech support hasn't been able to resolve this for me at all.  24Mbps down/4 up.

28 of 47 (3,069 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 28, 2013 4:40:18 AM
(0)
Teacher

I firmly believe the solution is to replace the Genie. Every post I read which was related stated that replacing the Genie solved the problem. By the way, I gave up on connecting via WiFi and am now connected with a wire to the router.

I firmly believe the solution is to replace the Genie. Every post I read which was related stated that replacing the Genie solved the problem. By the way, I gave up on connecting via WiFi and am now connected with a wire to the router.

29 of 47 (3,069 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 28, 2013 7:45:50 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
This is hot off the press.  DirecTV has found out that there is an issue with the HR44-200 where they do not "hold" the WiFi connection.  the fix is to either hardwired with ethernet or DECA BB adapter.  once again this ONLY applies to HR44-200, again ONLY the HR44-200
This is hot off the press.  DirecTV has found out that there is an issue with the HR44-200 where they do not "hold" the WiFi connection.  the fix is to either hardwired with ethernet or DECA BB adapter.  once again this ONLY applies to HR44-200, again ONLY the HR44-200

30 of 47 (3,069 Views)