Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Forum

Posted Aug 26, 2014
10:22:00 AM
Genie external hard drive

Did a search here but didn't find the answer.  Of course, maybe I'm focusing too much on definitions.

The DTV web site lists external HDs "recommended" by DTV.  Does that mean only those on the list will work or is it the 'normal' definition of "these have been tested and work?  My reason for asking is I would like to go to a 20TB HD.  OK, OK, not really.  But a 2TB would be nice.  What is the maximum size HD a Genie will accept?  If anyone has tried a larger-than-1TB HD, I'd like to hear the results.  FWIW, my current set up is 2 DTVs.

Did a search here but didn't find the answer.  Of course, maybe I'm focusing too much on definitions.

The DTV web site lists external HDs "recommended" by DTV.  Does that mean only those on the list will work or is it the 'normal' definition of "these have been tested and work?  My reason for asking is I would like to go to a 20TB HD.  OK, OK, not really.  But a 2TB would be nice.  What is the maximum size HD a Genie will accept?  If anyone has tried a larger-than-1TB HD, I'd like to hear the results.  FWIW, my current set up is 2 DTVs.

Genie external hard drive

9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(9)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 26, 2014 10:22:53 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

There is no upper limit on the hard drive size for the HR34/44 Genie DVRs.   Any quality eSATA drive should work.

There is no upper limit on the hard drive size for the HR34/44 Genie DVRs.   Any quality eSATA drive should work.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Genie external hard drive

2 of 10 (74 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 26, 2014 3:53:33 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Some folks have tested 12TB using RAID without any issues

Some folks have tested 12TB using RAID without any issues

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 10 (74 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 27, 2014 2:18:16 PM
(0)
Scholar

So peds I can connect an external drive, download any content I subscribe to then take the external elsewhere or will it only play through the DTV box? I ask because in the old days there was no external drive connection.

So peds I can connect an external drive, download any content I subscribe to then take the external elsewhere or will it only play through the DTV box? I ask because in the old days there was no external drive connection.

4 of 10 (74 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 27, 2014 2:30:52 PM
(0)
Professor

No, the programs are encrypted to that DVR.

No, the programs are encrypted to that DVR.

5 of 10 (74 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 27, 2014 2:43:04 PM
(0)
Scholar

OK, got it. Off this subject it would be great if you could set/delete season series recordings from one DVR on the whole home system between DVR's. I find myself setting series sometimes from multiple DVR's then need to write down what I am recording where then run up and down 2 flights of stairs to delete redundancy.

I have the Genie, a DVR in bedroom on 2nd floor and another in the basement.

OK, got it. Off this subject it would be great if you could set/delete season series recordings from one DVR on the whole home system between DVR's. I find myself setting series sometimes from multiple DVR's then need to write down what I am recording where then run up and down 2 flights of stairs to delete redundancy.

I have the Genie, a DVR in bedroom on 2nd floor and another in the basement.

6 of 10 (74 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 27, 2014 4:29:49 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Much requested feature, but DirecTV® has never implemented it. However, with the Genie and the minis, now this is possible

Much requested feature, but DirecTV® has never implemented it. However, with the Genie and the minis, now this is possible

7 of 10 (74 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 27, 2014 4:36:59 PM
(0)
Scholar

So if I switched out my other 2 DVR's to Genie clients, connected an external HD to my Genie my problem would be solved peds without sacrificing storage in the Whole Home? And can record series from the clients to the Genie + external HD?????

If that's the case very disappointed with my installer as I asked that question.

Thanks in advance Peds.

So if I switched out my other 2 DVR's to Genie clients, connected an external HD to my Genie my problem would be solved peds without sacrificing storage in the Whole Home? And can record series from the clients to the Genie + external HD?????

If that's the case very disappointed with my installer as I asked that question.

Thanks in advance Peds.

8 of 10 (74 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 27, 2014 4:41:14 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Genie clients can't have external drives, the Genie itself can.  There is a trade of.  If you get rid of of two DVRs, you will be loosing 4 tuners. IMO, I would never changed HDDVRs for clients

Genie clients can't have external drives, the Genie itself can.  There is a trade of.  If you get rid of of two DVRs, you will be loosing 4 tuners. IMO, I would never changed HDDVRs for clients

9 of 10 (74 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 27, 2014 4:45:53 PM
(0)
Scholar

Thanks again peds. Great advice! Just need to do more diligence on recordings and check them if I happen to be in the basement setting series while a bit drunk...lol. Problem solved!!!!!

Thanks again peds. Great advice! Just need to do more diligence on recordings and check them if I happen to be in the basement setting series while a bit drunk...lol. Problem solved!!!!!

10 of 10 (74 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments