Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Community

Posted Aug 9, 2014
6:04:13 PM
View profile
Genie Mini - Component Permissions For Channel?

I'm using a computer monitor via HDMI for the Genie Mini in our bedroom. The audio is 10-pin DTV component out to RCA, which then connects into a 3.5mm for a stereo system output (yes,it's a hack solution Smiley Happy ).

The PS3 works fine this way. But the Genie Mini is putting up these weird "unauthorized content permissions for this component cable" errors. If I disconnect and reconnect the component cable, then it's OK until I change the channel.

I've searched around but I didn't see anyone with issues similar to this. Any ideas?

I'm using a computer monitor via HDMI for the Genie Mini in our bedroom. The audio is 10-pin DTV component out to RCA, which then connects into a 3.5mm for a stereo system output (yes,it's a hack solution Smiley Happy ).

The PS3 works fine this way. But the Genie Mini is putting up these weird "unauthorized content permissions for this component cable" errors. If I disconnect and reconnect the component cable, then it's OK until I change the channel.

I've searched around but I didn't see anyone with issues similar to this. Any ideas?

Genie Mini - Component Permissions For Channel?

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 9, 2014 6:57:52 PM
(0)
Professor

It would help to know the exact message as the mini enforces HDCP ( HD copy protection) via HDMI on all channels and most likely the computer monitor is not HDCP compliant. 

It would help to know the exact message as the mini enforces HDCP ( HD copy protection) via HDMI on all channels and most likely the computer monitor is not HDCP compliant. 

Re: Genie Mini - Component Permissions For Channel?

2 of 6 (16 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 9, 2014 8:36:21 PM
(0)
Tutor

The Genie Mini is connected to the monitor (generic brand that came with a Lenovo desktop years ago, 720p) via an HDMI to DVI cable. The audio is the 10-pin DTV component out to RCA jacks which convert to a 3.5mm stereo headphone jack.

Secondary issue: FWIW I tried a different monitor (ACER) and I didn't have the HDCP issue. However, the 720p display was off. It was cropped to where the left 25% and bottom 25% were out of the screen. It displayed fine at 480p but refused to work at 720p. I tried all permutations of display preferences (original, piller box, etc.) and aspect ratios but that actually didn't affect anything.

Both monitors work fine on the PS3 and Netflix streaming.

The Genie Mini is connected to the monitor (generic brand that came with a Lenovo desktop years ago, 720p) via an HDMI to DVI cable. The audio is the 10-pin DTV component out to RCA jacks which convert to a 3.5mm stereo headphone jack.

Secondary issue: FWIW I tried a different monitor (ACER) and I didn't have the HDCP issue. However, the 720p display was off. It was cropped to where the left 25% and bottom 25% were out of the screen. It displayed fine at 480p but refused to work at 720p. I tried all permutations of display preferences (original, piller box, etc.) and aspect ratios but that actually didn't affect anything.

Both monitors work fine on the PS3 and Netflix streaming.

3 of 6 (16 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 10, 2014 1:41:30 AM
(0)
Tutor

bswb,

I work for DTV technical support. HDCP issues can be hard to understand but usually has a lot to do with the device you are viewing the content on (ie monitor/tv). It's likely the monitor/tv is not HDCP compliant. What specific channel numbers are you getting this message on? Usually it will be on channels you pay an extra monthly subscription fee for.

bswb,

I work for DTV technical support. HDCP issues can be hard to understand but usually has a lot to do with the device you are viewing the content on (ie monitor/tv). It's likely the monitor/tv is not HDCP compliant. What specific channel numbers are you getting this message on? Usually it will be on channels you pay an extra monthly subscription fee for.

4 of 6 (16 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 10, 2014 5:58:46 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

woofers, on a client it does not matter the channels, ALL channels are copy protected, this is part of the RVU protocol

woofers, on a client it does not matter the channels, ALL channels are copy protected, this is part of the RVU protocol

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 6 (16 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 10, 2014 7:20:47 AM
(0)
Tutor

OK, it must be the generic monitor that I got with my Lenovo computer. No HDCP issues with the ACER monitor.

However, there is the weird 720p resolution issue with that one. Should I create a second thread for that or can we troubleshoot that here:

OK, it must be the generic monitor that I got with my Lenovo computer. No HDCP issues with the ACER monitor.

However, there is the weird 720p resolution issue with that one. Should I create a second thread for that or can we troubleshoot that here:

6 of 6 (16 Views)