Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Forum

Posted Jul 17, 2013
4:46:33 PM
View profile
Genie HR 44/500 3D and 5.1 audio not communicating properly

I have been an uninterrupted Direct TV subscriber since 1995.

I have a Genie HR 44/500 connected to a Marantz SR 7005 7.2 audio/video receiver and a Sharp LC 70LE735U LCD LED 3D TV with auto 3D detection. Ever since the Genie was connected, it has trouble communicating. Even though my TV is set to auto detect 3D, when I tune any one of the active 3D channels, I get a message that my TV is not compatible to receive 3D. With my previous HR 24/500, never had this problem. In order to watch 3D programing, I have to go into the Sharp TV menu and reset auto 3D detect even though it is set on auto 3D detect. I have to do this every time after my system is shut down for the day and then powered up.

I also have a problem with the Genie HR44/500 outputting 5.1 surround sound. Every day when I power up the system, I only receive left and right sound even though my receiver is set to auto detect the soundtrack of the device connected to it. To overcome this, I have to set the receiver to any other sound field, then reset it to auto Dolby digital. Once I do this, the sound is outputted normally for the rest of the day until I shut it off and then power up the next day. My Genie A/V is sent to the Marantz by an HDMI cable installed by Direct TV. Direct TV disconnected my previous HDMI cable which had the latest 1.3a specification. My Genie is set to Dolby Digital.

I reported these problems to Direct TV 2nd tier technical support and they want me to send the HDMI cable directly to the TV and use an optical cable to the A/V receiver. I don't think this is right because I will lose quality in the audio and the HDMI cable is designed to pass the best quality A/V signals and in view of the fact that my system functioned fine with my present setup using the old HR 24/500.

Any thoughts?

I have been an uninterrupted Direct TV subscriber since 1995.

I have a Genie HR 44/500 connected to a Marantz SR 7005 7.2 audio/video receiver and a Sharp LC 70LE735U LCD LED 3D TV with auto 3D detection. Ever since the Genie was connected, it has trouble communicating. Even though my TV is set to auto detect 3D, when I tune any one of the active 3D channels, I get a message that my TV is not compatible to receive 3D. With my previous HR 24/500, never had this problem. In order to watch 3D programing, I have to go into the Sharp TV menu and reset auto 3D detect even though it is set on auto 3D detect. I have to do this every time after my system is shut down for the day and then powered up.

I also have a problem with the Genie HR44/500 outputting 5.1 surround sound. Every day when I power up the system, I only receive left and right sound even though my receiver is set to auto detect the soundtrack of the device connected to it. To overcome this, I have to set the receiver to any other sound field, then reset it to auto Dolby digital. Once I do this, the sound is outputted normally for the rest of the day until I shut it off and then power up the next day. My Genie A/V is sent to the Marantz by an HDMI cable installed by Direct TV. Direct TV disconnected my previous HDMI cable which had the latest 1.3a specification. My Genie is set to Dolby Digital.

I reported these problems to Direct TV 2nd tier technical support and they want me to send the HDMI cable directly to the TV and use an optical cable to the A/V receiver. I don't think this is right because I will lose quality in the audio and the HDMI cable is designed to pass the best quality A/V signals and in view of the fact that my system functioned fine with my present setup using the old HR 24/500.

Any thoughts?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Aug 11, 2013 4:15:31 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

yes, there is no" HD audio" from DirecTV, which is why I said DD 5.1, which is the surround sound that goes with the HD signals.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Accepted Solution

Genie HR 44/500 3D and 5.1 audio not communicating properly

73 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(73)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 18, 2013 11:10:02 AM
(0)
Contributor

We have the same problems with 3D and terrible audio after upgrading from an HR 24 to the HR 44 Genie about two weeks ago.  We have a Denon AV Receiver and a Mitsubishi 82" 3D dlp TV.  We have spent many hours troubleshooting.  It is not your HDMI, and yes, going to optical connections will be a downgrade.  We are also long term Direct TV customers.  I have been told by customer support today that they are aware of the problem and are working on it.  They are not sure if it will be a software download or a receiver replacement and are not sure how long this will take.

We have the same problems with 3D and terrible audio after upgrading from an HR 24 to the HR 44 Genie about two weeks ago.  We have a Denon AV Receiver and a Mitsubishi 82" 3D dlp TV.  We have spent many hours troubleshooting.  It is not your HDMI, and yes, going to optical connections will be a downgrade.  We are also long term Direct TV customers.  I have been told by customer support today that they are aware of the problem and are working on it.  They are not sure if it will be a software download or a receiver replacement and are not sure how long this will take.

Re: Genie HR 44/500 3D and 5.1 audio not communicating properly

2 of 74 (94 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 18, 2013 12:24:31 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

lwolfenbarger wrote:

going to optical connections will be a downgrade.  .

NOT true at all!!!!  When it comes to DirecTV optical, coaxial, and HDMI will provide the same sound quality.

lwolfenbarger wrote:

going to optical connections will be a downgrade.  .

NOT true at all!!!!  When it comes to DirecTV optical, coaxial, and HDMI will provide the same sound quality.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 74 (94 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 11, 2013 9:32:00 AM
(0)
Contributor

Well I thought the Genie would be an Upgrade as well. But it is certainly not when it comes to Audio.

Why? well you do not have the Optical Audio OutPut anymore.

The only way to get Audio out are as followed:

HDMI, Aux or Digital Audio.

Out of those choices the Digital Audio is the best solution. You will need to connect that output to the Digital Audio Input of you 5.1 System. What if you dont have that input? Well your screwed.

Connecting the HDMI to your TV then connect an optical to your system? Doesnt work. 5.1 Sound from HDMI via pass through to Optical will always downgrade to 2.1. So thats not an option.

Using Aux? well I dont have to talk about that.

So therefore the only way to get 5.1 to your 5.1 system is using the Digital Output.

Well I thought the Genie would be an Upgrade as well. But it is certainly not when it comes to Audio.

Why? well you do not have the Optical Audio OutPut anymore.

The only way to get Audio out are as followed:

HDMI, Aux or Digital Audio.

Out of those choices the Digital Audio is the best solution. You will need to connect that output to the Digital Audio Input of you 5.1 System. What if you dont have that input? Well your screwed.

Connecting the HDMI to your TV then connect an optical to your system? Doesnt work. 5.1 Sound from HDMI via pass through to Optical will always downgrade to 2.1. So thats not an option.

Using Aux? well I dont have to talk about that.

So therefore the only way to get 5.1 to your 5.1 system is using the Digital Output.

4 of 74 (94 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 11, 2013 9:45:53 AM
(0)
Expert

You're dead wrong regarding the Optical audio output (although it's a hollow discussion for a DVR than doesn't have Optical).  The Optical, Digital coax and HDMI audio outputs are the same, and deliver whatever audio resolution the received signal carries.

If a persons AVR has only Optical, a digital to optical converter is available from such folks as
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10423&cs_id=1042302&p_id=2947&seq=1&for...

You're dead wrong regarding the Optical audio output (although it's a hollow discussion for a DVR than doesn't have Optical).  The Optical, Digital coax and HDMI audio outputs are the same, and deliver whatever audio resolution the received signal carries.

If a persons AVR has only Optical, a digital to optical converter is available from such folks as
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10423&cs_id=1042302&p_id=2947&seq=1&format=2

5 of 74 (94 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 11, 2013 10:06:13 AM
(0)
Contributor

How am I dead wrong?

The only way to get 5.1 Sound directly to a 5.1 sys is via the Digital Output.

Or which other way is there to get the 5.1 to the sys? None.

so as you showed I would need such adapter. Than use the digital output cable from the Genie to the Adapter then from there to the Optical Input. Well if thats not a pain in the butt Smiley Happy

How am I dead wrong?

The only way to get 5.1 Sound directly to a 5.1 sys is via the Digital Output.

Or which other way is there to get the 5.1 to the sys? None.

so as you showed I would need such adapter. Than use the digital output cable from the Genie to the Adapter then from there to the Optical Input. Well if thats not a pain in the butt Smiley Happy

6 of 74 (94 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 11, 2013 10:24:23 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
and why not blame your AV receiver for the lack of Digital coax input???
and why not blame your AV receiver for the lack of Digital coax input???

7 of 74 (94 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 11, 2013 1:05:10 PM
(0)
Mentor

For some reason, I can't reply to my previous discssion: Genie HR 44/500 3D and 5.1 audio not communicating properly

Direct TV sent my problem to case management. All my issues are resolved.

1. I was unable to change my remote from IR to RF, it was greyed out. For Genie HR 44 users, make sure Direct TV gives you the new unique remote. It will allow you to change the HR 44 to read RF from the new remote. the old remote would not allow this. The 3D and remote not responding issue is now working. In my case, the instalers of the Genie did not give me the new remote, saying that customers were complaning that the new remote did not do as much as the old remote.

2. New APPS not working as a result of July 17, 2013 software download. As of now, only 4 Apps are available, that is why you don't see more Apps propagating the screen.

3. 5.1 surround not outputting to A/V reciver all the time. They did not agree with earlier tech suggestion to send HDMI cable directly to TV and use an optical cable from Genie to A/V receiver.

... site timed out on me. Adding: This issue not completely resolved. We could not duplicate the problem when tech was at my home. They sugested that I toggle to another channel and return to a channel with 5.1 sound and see what happens.

For some reason, I can't reply to my previous discssion: Genie HR 44/500 3D and 5.1 audio not communicating properly

Direct TV sent my problem to case management. All my issues are resolved.

1. I was unable to change my remote from IR to RF, it was greyed out. For Genie HR 44 users, make sure Direct TV gives you the new unique remote. It will allow you to change the HR 44 to read RF from the new remote. the old remote would not allow this. The 3D and remote not responding issue is now working. In my case, the instalers of the Genie did not give me the new remote, saying that customers were complaning that the new remote did not do as much as the old remote.

2. New APPS not working as a result of July 17, 2013 software download. As of now, only 4 Apps are available, that is why you don't see more Apps propagating the screen.

3. 5.1 surround not outputting to A/V reciver all the time. They did not agree with earlier tech suggestion to send HDMI cable directly to TV and use an optical cable from Genie to A/V receiver.

... site timed out on me. Adding: This issue not completely resolved. We could not duplicate the problem when tech was at my home. They sugested that I toggle to another channel and return to a channel with 5.1 sound and see what happens.

8 of 74 (94 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 11, 2013 1:21:53 PM
(0)
Mentor

Direct TV came to my home to address the sound issue this past Saturday, August 10, 2013. They did try to swap the HDMI cable. They used an optical cable from the Geni HR 44 output sending it to my optical input on my receiver.

It worked for a while and then the sytem was powered down for an hour. Upon powerup, once again only left and right audio. The receiver was set to Auto Dolby Digital. The only option left per the Case Manager, was to escalate to enginerring and to try another Geni HR 44. Marantz Technical Support insists the problem is not with the Marantz A/V receiver. I have the latest firmware update and we trouble shot the Marantz receiver.

About the Optical Cable. It is my understanding that optical is NOT a lossless cable and that it will not pass HD audio.

Direct TV came to my home to address the sound issue this past Saturday, August 10, 2013. They did try to swap the HDMI cable. They used an optical cable from the Geni HR 44 output sending it to my optical input on my receiver.

It worked for a while and then the sytem was powered down for an hour. Upon powerup, once again only left and right audio. The receiver was set to Auto Dolby Digital. The only option left per the Case Manager, was to escalate to enginerring and to try another Geni HR 44. Marantz Technical Support insists the problem is not with the Marantz A/V receiver. I have the latest firmware update and we trouble shot the Marantz receiver.

About the Optical Cable. It is my understanding that optical is NOT a lossless cable and that it will not pass HD audio.

9 of 74 (94 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 11, 2013 2:38:04 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

You are wrong about optical audio, it passes exactly the same quality DD 5.1 audio as HDMI (or digital audio coax).

One possibility is that your Marantz is set to pass audio to the TV as well as the surround sound speakers. Since the TV can't handle surround sound, if you have CEC set to "on" the Marantz will downconvert all its outputs to regular PCM stereo. You need to make sure the Marantz is set to NOT output audio to the TV.

You are wrong about optical audio, it passes exactly the same quality DD 5.1 audio as HDMI (or digital audio coax).

One possibility is that your Marantz is set to pass audio to the TV as well as the surround sound speakers. Since the TV can't handle surround sound, if you have CEC set to "on" the Marantz will downconvert all its outputs to regular PCM stereo. You need to make sure the Marantz is set to NOT output audio to the TV.

10 of 74 (94 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 11, 2013 3:38:50 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

actually neither optical or Digital coax will pass HD audio.  But with DirecTV receivers this is a moot point as their is no such codecs on DirecTV.

actually neither optical or Digital coax will pass HD audio.  But with DirecTV receivers this is a moot point as their is no such codecs on DirecTV.

11 of 74 (94 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Aug 11, 2013 4:15:31 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

yes, there is no" HD audio" from DirecTV, which is why I said DD 5.1, which is the surround sound that goes with the HD signals.

12 of 74 (94 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 11, 2013 5:07:02 PM
(0)
Mentor

Are you sure?

When I said "lossless" and "HD Audio" I meant Dolby True HD or DTS-HD Master or Multi Channel PCM (more then 2 channels)  It is my understanding that optical can not pass these formats as well as UNCOMPRESSED 5.1 because of the lower bit rate/bandwith of optical cable. HDMI is the only cable that can pass these formats uncompressed. Optical cable can only pass 2.0 PCM meaning stereo. Most receivers can covert this format to 5.1 with electronic trickery known as Dolby digital pro logic 11.

True, I suppose Direct TV is not passing these HD audio signals. I would at least like to have UNCOMPRESSED 5.1 sound. My Marantz SR7005 supports the latest A/V formats including HDMI 1.4a. and it is a discrete 7.2 A/V receiver. I am currently running 5.1 but seriously thinking of upgrading to 7.1 with 2 additional speakers. I have now tried optical and still have the hanshake issue.

I think the second part of your answer may be the key because my system is set up to deliver 5.1 sound from Direct TV, Blue Ray and 5.1 from over the air televisions signals through my 5.1 system. It worked well with the old HR 24-500. To be clear, the remaining issue I have is: after shutdown of system at night, the next morning when I power up the system, I only get left and right stereo, even though the A/V receiver is set to auto Dolby Digital. I have to manually turn the input selector on the receiver to another input, then return it to auto Dolby Digital. Once I do this, It then "reads/accepts" the signal from the HR 44 and I get 5.1 sound for the rest of the day. It dose this with HDMI and now with optical cable. So I imagine the problem is not with either cable?

What is CEC? and I will follow your suggestion.

Are you sure?

When I said "lossless" and "HD Audio" I meant Dolby True HD or DTS-HD Master or Multi Channel PCM (more then 2 channels)  It is my understanding that optical can not pass these formats as well as UNCOMPRESSED 5.1 because of the lower bit rate/bandwith of optical cable. HDMI is the only cable that can pass these formats uncompressed. Optical cable can only pass 2.0 PCM meaning stereo. Most receivers can covert this format to 5.1 with electronic trickery known as Dolby digital pro logic 11.

True, I suppose Direct TV is not passing these HD audio signals. I would at least like to have UNCOMPRESSED 5.1 sound. My Marantz SR7005 supports the latest A/V formats including HDMI 1.4a. and it is a discrete 7.2 A/V receiver. I am currently running 5.1 but seriously thinking of upgrading to 7.1 with 2 additional speakers. I have now tried optical and still have the hanshake issue.

I think the second part of your answer may be the key because my system is set up to deliver 5.1 sound from Direct TV, Blue Ray and 5.1 from over the air televisions signals through my 5.1 system. It worked well with the old HR 24-500. To be clear, the remaining issue I have is: after shutdown of system at night, the next morning when I power up the system, I only get left and right stereo, even though the A/V receiver is set to auto Dolby Digital. I have to manually turn the input selector on the receiver to another input, then return it to auto Dolby Digital. Once I do this, It then "reads/accepts" the signal from the HR 44 and I get 5.1 sound for the rest of the day. It dose this with HDMI and now with optical cable. So I imagine the problem is not with either cable?

What is CEC? and I will follow your suggestion.

13 of 74 (94 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 11, 2013 5:35:26 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

No, you are under the wrong impression. Optical audio passes Dolby Digital 5.1 with no problems at all. many of us have optical audio (or digital coax) from the DirecTV receiver to an A/V receiver and I can guarantee the signal carries DD 5.1, not just PCM.

The DirecTv receiver won 't deliver "true HD" or the other formats you mention, they do not exist in TV signals.  If you set the DirecTV box to deliver Dolby, it delivers DD 5.1 (assuming the program has DD 5.1).  The A/V receiver and TV don't have the ability to control the output from the DirecTv box, so I think you can reasonably assume the DirecTV box is outputting Dolby DD 5.1 all the time. It's not a cable problem.  It's the A/V receiver that is deciding to downgrade to PCM 2.0.  My guess is that it's CEC related, as I mentioned. I had the same problem with my Sony A/V receiver, it took me a week of investigation to get the receiver to handle DD 5.1 correctly.

No, you are under the wrong impression. Optical audio passes Dolby Digital 5.1 with no problems at all. many of us have optical audio (or digital coax) from the DirecTV receiver to an A/V receiver and I can guarantee the signal carries DD 5.1, not just PCM.

The DirecTv receiver won 't deliver "true HD" or the other formats you mention, they do not exist in TV signals.  If you set the DirecTV box to deliver Dolby, it delivers DD 5.1 (assuming the program has DD 5.1).  The A/V receiver and TV don't have the ability to control the output from the DirecTv box, so I think you can reasonably assume the DirecTV box is outputting Dolby DD 5.1 all the time. It's not a cable problem.  It's the A/V receiver that is deciding to downgrade to PCM 2.0.  My guess is that it's CEC related, as I mentioned. I had the same problem with my Sony A/V receiver, it took me a week of investigation to get the receiver to handle DD 5.1 correctly.

14 of 74 (94 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 11, 2013 5:45:07 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

CEC is Consumer Electronics Control

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI-CEC#CEC

CEC is Consumer Electronics Control

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI-CEC#CEC

15 of 74 (94 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 11, 2013 5:49:46 PM
(0)
Mentor

Thank you for that, I will investigate further. I will reconnect the HDMI cable as it was. The puzzling thing is that no settings were changed on the Marantz when the HR 44 was installed.

Thank you for that, I will investigate further. I will reconnect the HDMI cable as it was. The puzzling thing is that no settings were changed on the Marantz when the HR 44 was installed.

16 of 74 (94 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 11, 2013 5:51:10 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

the problem might not be CEC related as such. As I said, some A/V receivers (mine included) will switch to PCM stereo if you set them up to send audio to the TV, because the TV does not handle DD 5.1

the problem might not be CEC related as such. As I said, some A/V receivers (mine included) will switch to PCM stereo if you set them up to send audio to the TV, because the TV does not handle DD 5.1

17 of 74 (94 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 11, 2013 5:57:44 PM
(0)
Mentor

Thank you for the information peds48. Will investigate further. BTW, I can't post to this site with my iPad4?

Thank you for the information peds48. Will investigate further. BTW, I can't post to this site with my iPad4?

18 of 74 (94 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 11, 2013 5:59:44 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

you need the Jive mobile app in order to post from mobile devices

you need the Jive mobile app in order to post from mobile devices

19 of 74 (94 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 11, 2013 6:00:14 PM
(0)
Mentor

texasbrit, I hope this is the answer. Thank you. Will check into it.

texasbrit, I hope this is the answer. Thank you. Will check into it.

20 of 74 (94 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 12, 2013 6:02:15 AM
(0)
Contributor

We are still having the same problems with no D.D. 5.1 on SOME programming that is clearly marked as D.D. 5.1.  We have spent endless hours, and checked multiple times on CEC issues with all components, DENON AVR set up, switching to optical cable, etc. We are not sending audio to the TV.  Our set up is very simple.  One HDMI from Direct TV Box to the Denon, one HDMI monitor out from the Denon to the TV, one HDMI from the Blu Ray player to the Denon.

We have switched out more than one Genie and switched out LNB's, and still no fix. The DENON shows that it is only receiving 2 channel stereo when this problem occurs. This does not happen to us on all stations all the time, just some of the channels, especially Palladia, PBS, and some HD movie channels, where we really used to enjoy the sound. Again, these are programs that are definitely broadcast in D.D. 5.1.  These problems only began when we upgraded from an HR24 with Ka/Ku and changed to the SWM system and the Genie HR44.

Any help would be appreciated.

We are still having the same problems with no D.D. 5.1 on SOME programming that is clearly marked as D.D. 5.1.  We have spent endless hours, and checked multiple times on CEC issues with all components, DENON AVR set up, switching to optical cable, etc. We are not sending audio to the TV.  Our set up is very simple.  One HDMI from Direct TV Box to the Denon, one HDMI monitor out from the Denon to the TV, one HDMI from the Blu Ray player to the Denon.

We have switched out more than one Genie and switched out LNB's, and still no fix. The DENON shows that it is only receiving 2 channel stereo when this problem occurs. This does not happen to us on all stations all the time, just some of the channels, especially Palladia, PBS, and some HD movie channels, where we really used to enjoy the sound. Again, these are programs that are definitely broadcast in D.D. 5.1.  These problems only began when we upgraded from an HR24 with Ka/Ku and changed to the SWM system and the Genie HR44.

Any help would be appreciated.

21 of 74 (94 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 12, 2013 6:09:04 AM
(0)
Expert

If you are getting Dolby some of the time and stereo the rest of the time then your system is working correctly.  There are many HD channels that broadcast stereo part of the time, and frequently channels with commercials will switch from Dolby to stereo at commercial time.  The Directv HD boxes have one, and only one, audio adjustment, and that is Dolby on and off.  I and some of the other TechKnow Guides run Denon receivers and the Directv/Denon combo is very reliable.  Trust what the Denon is telling you.  When the DD indicator goes off, then the program is sending stereo.

If you are getting Dolby some of the time and stereo the rest of the time then your system is working correctly.  There are many HD channels that broadcast stereo part of the time, and frequently channels with commercials will switch from Dolby to stereo at commercial time.  The Directv HD boxes have one, and only one, audio adjustment, and that is Dolby on and off.  I and some of the other TechKnow Guides run Denon receivers and the Directv/Denon combo is very reliable.  Trust what the Denon is telling you.  When the DD indicator goes off, then the program is sending stereo.

22 of 74 (94 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 12, 2013 8:02:56 AM
(0)
Mentor

Iwolfenbarger

Do you have a HR 24 else ware in the house to test the channels not outputting in DD 5.1? IF the HR 24 passes DD 5.1 then the HR 44 should pass them. To me, if one box passes the signal and another dose not, then the problem is with that box. Both of us are having the same problem. We both had HR 24's, then switched to the HR 44. Do you have the handshake issue like I do on power up?

My system is hooked up like yours.

Texasbrit: My system is not sending sound to the TV. The built in speakers are left on (I mute the sound from TV speakers) and the optical cable gos from optical out on the Marantz to the optical in on the Sharp TV for over the air broadcasts.

Iwolfenbarger

Do you have a HR 24 else ware in the house to test the channels not outputting in DD 5.1? IF the HR 24 passes DD 5.1 then the HR 44 should pass them. To me, if one box passes the signal and another dose not, then the problem is with that box. Both of us are having the same problem. We both had HR 24's, then switched to the HR 44. Do you have the handshake issue like I do on power up?

My system is hooked up like yours.

Texasbrit: My system is not sending sound to the TV. The built in speakers are left on (I mute the sound from TV speakers) and the optical cable gos from optical out on the Marantz to the optical in on the Sharp TV for over the air broadcasts.

23 of 74 (94 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 12, 2013 8:17:59 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Sorry, that does not make sense.

QUOTE: "the optical cable gos from optical out on the Marantz to the optical in on the Sharp TV for over the air broadcasts."

The optical cable should go from the DirecTV box to the optical in on the Marantz.  Then the HDMI cable should run from the DirecTv box to the TV.

If you have the HDMI cable from the DirecTv box to the Marantz, and then HDMI from the Marantz to the TV, you will have this problem unless you specifically tell the Marantz not to do audio passthrough to the TV. Even if the TV speakers are muted, that audio is still going to the TV.

Sorry, that does not make sense.

QUOTE: "the optical cable gos from optical out on the Marantz to the optical in on the Sharp TV for over the air broadcasts."

The optical cable should go from the DirecTV box to the optical in on the Marantz.  Then the HDMI cable should run from the DirecTv box to the TV.

If you have the HDMI cable from the DirecTv box to the Marantz, and then HDMI from the Marantz to the TV, you will have this problem unless you specifically tell the Marantz not to do audio passthrough to the TV. Even if the TV speakers are muted, that audio is still going to the TV.

24 of 74 (94 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 12, 2013 8:37:50 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

try this as an experiment.

Connect the DirecTv box to the Marantz via optical audio. Connect the DirecTv box to the TV via HDMI. No connection from the Marantz to the TV.

Do you have the same issues?

try this as an experiment.

Connect the DirecTv box to the Marantz via optical audio. Connect the DirecTv box to the TV via HDMI. No connection from the Marantz to the TV.

Do you have the same issues?

25 of 74 (94 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 12, 2013 8:38:18 AM
(0)
Mentor

Quote "If you have the HDMI cable from the DirecTv box to the Marantz, and then HDMI from the Marantz to the TV,"

Yes.

I connected an optical cable from my Marantz to my Sharp TV so that I can hear 5.1 though my system (not through the TV speakers) when I switch inputs to TV for over the air broadcasts.

Is this the problem and I will need to remove the optical cable which will then not allow me to here OTA TV input sound through my system, just through the the built in TV speakers?

Quote "If you have the HDMI cable from the DirecTv box to the Marantz, and then HDMI from the Marantz to the TV,"

Yes.

I connected an optical cable from my Marantz to my Sharp TV so that I can hear 5.1 though my system (not through the TV speakers) when I switch inputs to TV for over the air broadcasts.

Is this the problem and I will need to remove the optical cable which will then not allow me to here OTA TV input sound through my system, just through the the built in TV speakers?

26 of 74 (94 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 12, 2013 8:46:25 AM
(0)
Mentor

"try this as an experiment.

Do you have the same issues?"

I will try it and let you know.

BTW, This morning about a half hour ago, low and behold, no handshake issue. DD5.1 on power up. Go figure! Now this problem is intermittent. For the past several weeks, no DD5.1 on power up.

"try this as an experiment.

Do you have the same issues?"

I will try it and let you know.

BTW, This morning about a half hour ago, low and behold, no handshake issue. DD5.1 on power up. Go figure! Now this problem is intermittent. For the past several weeks, no DD5.1 on power up.

27 of 74 (94 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 12, 2013 8:47:13 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
doesn't your TV have HDMI-ARC
doesn't your TV have HDMI-ARC

28 of 74 (94 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 12, 2013 8:54:47 AM
(0)
Mentor

I don't know and I will have to find out what HDMI-ARC is.

To texasbrit suggestion, if I do this and issue gos away, I'm thinking that I will loose the HDMI upscaling from my Marantz on SD content.

I don't know and I will have to find out what HDMI-ARC is.

To texasbrit suggestion, if I do this and issue gos away, I'm thinking that I will loose the HDMI upscaling from my Marantz on SD content.

29 of 74 (94 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 12, 2013 9:16:05 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

I am only suggesting this configuration as an experiment, not permanently. With the A/V receiver not connected to anything via HDMI, you bypass any HDMI passthrough/control issues.

Just FYI. Your A/V receiver should have a setting for "HDMI audio passthrough" (don't know what it is called on your Marantz). When this setting is "off", and the Marantz is connected to the DirecTv box via HDMI, and then the Marantz is connected to the TV via HDMI, the video will go to the TV and the upconversion will be used OK.  The audio will go to the surround sound speakers but NOT to the TV.

If you set the HDMI audio passthrough to "on", the audio will also go to the TV speakers over the HDMI cable. Your Marantz also has the capability to do passthough when the Marantz power is off, which is useful.

But your Tv and the Marantz also have CEC capability, which allows one device to control the other over the HDMI link. With my Samsung TV/Sony AV receiver combination, if  I have CEC "on", and I use passthrough, the A/V receiver drops back to PCM stereo even though it is getting Dolby DD 5.1 from the DirecTv box. I run my system with HDMI audio passthrough disabled, and CEC off, and this works fine for me - HDMI from my HR44 to the Sony, HDMI from the Sony to the TV.

Just FYI again. The forums are full of posts on HDMI audio issues with A/V receivers.  Marantz and Denon are often posted, they are made by the same company.  99% of the time it turns out the problems are caused by incorrect settings.

The reference to HDMI-ARC is also important, although it does not affect this problem. ARC allows the audio to be returned from the TV to the A/V receiver over the HDMI cable, and avoids the need for a separate optical audio cable from the TV to the A/V receiver.

I am only suggesting this configuration as an experiment, not permanently. With the A/V receiver not connected to anything via HDMI, you bypass any HDMI passthrough/control issues.

Just FYI. Your A/V receiver should have a setting for "HDMI audio passthrough" (don't know what it is called on your Marantz). When this setting is "off", and the Marantz is connected to the DirecTv box via HDMI, and then the Marantz is connected to the TV via HDMI, the video will go to the TV and the upconversion will be used OK.  The audio will go to the surround sound speakers but NOT to the TV.

If you set the HDMI audio passthrough to "on", the audio will also go to the TV speakers over the HDMI cable. Your Marantz also has the capability to do passthough when the Marantz power is off, which is useful.

But your Tv and the Marantz also have CEC capability, which allows one device to control the other over the HDMI link. With my Samsung TV/Sony AV receiver combination, if  I have CEC "on", and I use passthrough, the A/V receiver drops back to PCM stereo even though it is getting Dolby DD 5.1 from the DirecTv box. I run my system with HDMI audio passthrough disabled, and CEC off, and this works fine for me - HDMI from my HR44 to the Sony, HDMI from the Sony to the TV.

Just FYI again. The forums are full of posts on HDMI audio issues with A/V receivers.  Marantz and Denon are often posted, they are made by the same company.  99% of the time it turns out the problems are caused by incorrect settings.

The reference to HDMI-ARC is also important, although it does not affect this problem. ARC allows the audio to be returned from the TV to the A/V receiver over the HDMI cable, and avoids the need for a separate optical audio cable from the TV to the A/V receiver.

30 of 74 (94 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments