Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Community

Posted Feb 24, 2013
10:12:38 AM
View profile
Diagnostc Code 40-647

We did some remodling and now when we test the system, we get a diagnostic code 40-647, failed test. When I turn on the system, It says 771, but when I switch the cables, it works, but I think one of the connections is causing this problem. What does this code mean?

We did some remodling and now when we test the system, we get a diagnostic code 40-647, failed test. When I turn on the system, It says 771, but when I switch the cables, it works, but I think one of the connections is causing this problem. What does this code mean?

Diagnostc Code 40-647

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 24, 2013 12:16:17 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

40 - Satellite tuner 2 issue.  Non-SWM fails basic +13/+18V LNB test for signal.  Could be dish alignment or signal distribution problem. 

40 - Satellite tuner 2 issue.  Non-SWM fails basic +13/+18V LNB test for signal.  Could be dish alignment or signal distribution problem. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Diagnostc Code 40-647

2 of 7 (1 View)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 24, 2013 12:31:21 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

what happens if you swap the satellite cables behind the DVR.  Does the problem stays with tuner 2 or does it move to tuner1?

what happens if you swap the satellite cables behind the DVR.  Does the problem stays with tuner 2 or does it move to tuner1?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 7 (1 View)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 25, 2013 7:55:29 AM
(0)
Scholar
Quote: Originally Posted by peds48_installs 

I've fix it, but not because I called Directv support. One of the cable connections wasn't as tight as it should've been. It was strange though when I did call Directv support. They said because we had moved the Directv receiver, that our warranty was null and void, which I've been paying the extra $5.99 a month so in case I ever need a service call, I wouldn't have to pay. Ever hear of that?

Quote: Originally Posted by peds48_installs 

I've fix it, but not because I called Directv support. One of the cable connections wasn't as tight as it should've been. It was strange though when I did call Directv support. They said because we had moved the Directv receiver, that our warranty was null and void, which I've been paying the extra $5.99 a month so in case I ever need a service call, I wouldn't have to pay. Ever hear of that?

4 of 7 (1 View)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 25, 2013 9:37:56 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

That's just silly.   When you get bogus information like that, just call again and pray that the next support rep is better.   

At any rate, glad you got it fixed!  Enjoy!

That's just silly.   When you get bogus information like that, just call again and pray that the next support rep is better.   

5 of 7 (1 View)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 25, 2013 9:55:07 AM
(0)
Scholar
Quote: Originally Posted by litzdog911 

Yeah, I knew better, so there was no need to say anything more about that. She also said that at the end, that the receiver was running great again, even though I knew it wasn't fixed yet. At that point I knew that one of the connections was not working properly. But, as soon, as I looked at the tuners, and saw one was't getting any readings, I knew where to look. Then as soon as it was tighten the connection, it was back to normal.

Quote: Originally Posted by litzdog911 

Yeah, I knew better, so there was no need to say anything more about that. She also said that at the end, that the receiver was running great again, even though I knew it wasn't fixed yet. At that point I knew that one of the connections was not working properly. But, as soon, as I looked at the tuners, and saw one was't getting any readings, I knew where to look. Then as soon as it was tighten the connection, it was back to normal.

6 of 7 (1 View)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2013 4:45:54 AM
(0)
Expert

Depending on what you told the original CSR, I could see a "we aren't covering that" response.  Example: "I remodeled our house and ran new wiring and now one of the receivers isn't getting a signal". 

Depending on what you told the original CSR, I could see a "we aren't covering that" response.  Example: "I remodeled our house and ran new wiring and now one of the receivers isn't getting a signal". 

7 of 7 (1 View)