Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Forum

Posted Aug 2, 2013
9:27:17 AM
View profile
Can I use my old round dish with an HD receiver?

We RV often and have always brought our Directv with us.  Our portable dish is the old round one that we used before we changed our home receivers to HD. Can we use an HD receiver with the old round dish?  I don't care if the resolution is HD, but we want to be able to watch our tv. 

We RV often and have always brought our Directv with us.  Our portable dish is the old round one that we used before we changed our home receivers to HD. Can we use an HD receiver with the old round dish?  I don't care if the resolution is HD, but we want to be able to watch our tv. 

Can I use my old round dish with an HD receiver?

35 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(35)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 2, 2013 9:37:21 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Yes, you can.   But note that if your home setup is "Single Wire Multiswitch", you'll need to repeat the HD Receiver's Satellite Setup after you connect to the 18" round dish.  At the appropriate step, specify "Multiswitch" BEFORE you select the dish type.  Then you can proceed with dish alignment and setup. 

You may also need to repeat this process when you reconnect that HD Receiver to your home dish, but if it's SWM it will autodetect and set itself up automatically. 

Yes, you can.   But note that if your home setup is "Single Wire Multiswitch", you'll need to repeat the HD Receiver's Satellite Setup after you connect to the 18" round dish.  At the appropriate step, specify "Multiswitch" BEFORE you select the dish type.  Then you can proceed with dish alignment and setup. 

You may also need to repeat this process when you reconnect that HD Receiver to your home dish, but if it's SWM it will autodetect and set itself up automatically. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Can I use my old round dish with an HD receiver?

2 of 36 (8,099 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 2, 2013 10:11:52 AM
(0)
Contributor

I appreciate your quick reply.  I will check it out when I get home.  It may take me a minute to figure it out, but now at least I know it should work.  Thanks!

I appreciate your quick reply.  I will check it out when I get home.  It may take me a minute to figure it out, but now at least I know it should work.  Thanks!

3 of 36 (8,099 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 2, 2013 10:35:02 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Also note that if you have an H25 HD receiver or Genie, these receivers are only SWM compatible and will not work with a standalone 18 round dish.

Also note that if you have an H25 HD receiver or Genie, these receivers are only SWM compatible and will not work with a standalone 18 round dish.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 36 (8,099 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 2, 2013 10:48:28 AM
(0)
Expert

To expand a bit, HD model numbers 20 through 24 will work with the old dish, model numbers 25 and up will not.  The model number is inside the card door.

To expand a bit, HD model numbers 20 through 24 will work with the old dish, model numbers 25 and up will not.  The model number is inside the card door.

5 of 36 (8,099 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 2, 2013 1:22:35 PM
(0)
Contributor

Thank you.  This is something I can check quickly.  I'm hoping for 20-24!  Smiley Happy

Thank you.  This is something I can check quickly.  I'm hoping for 20-24!  Smiley Happy

6 of 36 (8,099 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 2, 2013 1:37:41 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Keep us posted.

Keep us posted.

7 of 36 (8,099 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2013 2:38:34 PM
(0)
Tutor

Hi, I also have a similar problem.  So if I understand all correctly the following will work??

I have 4 HD DVR's in my home.  The forth one was just installed 30 days ago and the installer placed a small device on the back or the DRV in line with the cable it has a "bar code".  This same "bar code" was updated/installed on my HD dish, to "communicate" with each other was what I was told.  I want to temporarily take my HD DVR (H22) to my vacation home (couple weeks a year) and install it to the old existing dish (appears to by single dlb 18" round).  WILL THIS WORK???  I don't care if I receive HD quality or not, the tv up there is 20years old.  I just want it to work.  Any thoughts???  Thanks much...........

Hi, I also have a similar problem.  So if I understand all correctly the following will work??

I have 4 HD DVR's in my home.  The forth one was just installed 30 days ago and the installer placed a small device on the back or the DRV in line with the cable it has a "bar code".  This same "bar code" was updated/installed on my HD dish, to "communicate" with each other was what I was told.  I want to temporarily take my HD DVR (H22) to my vacation home (couple weeks a year) and install it to the old existing dish (appears to by single dlb 18" round).  WILL THIS WORK???  I don't care if I receive HD quality or not, the tv up there is 20years old.  I just want it to work.  Any thoughts???  Thanks much...........

8 of 36 (8,099 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2013 2:52:31 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Yes, it will work.  just remove the "bar code" which is called a DECA.  then repeat the satellite set as follows

Here are the steps to change the dish settings.

From the Menu

Using the Arrow buttons navigate to - select Parental, Favorites, Setup - press Select button

Using the Arrow buttons navigate to highlight - select System Set Up - press Select button

Using the Arrow buttons navigate to highlight - select Satellite - press Select button

Using the Arrow buttons navigate to highlight - select Repeat Satellite Setup - press Select button

Follow the on screen instructions and press the - Dash button

A new screen will be shown

Use the Arrow buttons navigate to Switch - then press the Select button

In the drop-down box use the Arrow buttons to highlight  02 Multiswitch then press Select button

Use the Arrow buttons and highlight Dish Type - press the Select button

In the drop-down box use the Arrow buttons to highlight 01-18" round then press the Select button

Use the Arrow buttons to navigate to Continue until you can hight light - Watch DirectTV

Yes, it will work.  just remove the "bar code" which is called a DECA.  then repeat the satellite set as follows

Here are the steps to change the dish settings.

From the Menu

Using the Arrow buttons navigate to - select Parental, Favorites, Setup - press Select button

Using the Arrow buttons navigate to highlight - select System Set Up - press Select button

Using the Arrow buttons navigate to highlight - select Satellite - press Select button

Using the Arrow buttons navigate to highlight - select Repeat Satellite Setup - press Select button

Follow the on screen instructions and press the - Dash button

A new screen will be shown

Use the Arrow buttons navigate to Switch - then press the Select button

In the drop-down box use the Arrow buttons to highlight  02 Multiswitch then press Select button

Use the Arrow buttons and highlight Dish Type - press the Select button

In the drop-down box use the Arrow buttons to highlight 01-18" round then press the Select button

Use the Arrow buttons to navigate to Continue until you can hight light - Watch DirectTV

9 of 36 (8,099 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2013 3:04:51 PM
(0)
Tutor

Wow, good news. Very informative! I am pretty sure you are talking about

doing these "settings" at the vacation house with the old dish, correct?

Just want to make sure.

Also, should I receive all the channels that I currently receive at home at

the vacation house or will they be limited??

Wow, good news. Very informative! I am pretty sure you are talking about

doing these "settings" at the vacation house with the old dish, correct?

Just want to make sure.

Also, should I receive all the channels that I currently receive at home at

the vacation house or will they be limited??

10 of 36 (8,099 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2013 3:09:18 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Yes at the vacation home.  you will get all the channels but they wont be HD and if the vacation home is far away from your service address and/or your locals are beamed from the 119 you wont get locals at the vacation home

Yes at the vacation home.  you will get all the channels but they wont be HD and if the vacation home is far away from your service address and/or your locals are beamed from the 119 you wont get locals at the vacation home

11 of 36 (8,099 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2013 3:14:27 PM
(0)
Tutor

Great, thank you very much for your help. I wont be able to get out there

for a couple weeks, but will set it up as soon as I am there, fingers

crossed! Thanks again!

Great, thank you very much for your help. I wont be able to get out there

for a couple weeks, but will set it up as soon as I am there, fingers

crossed! Thanks again!

12 of 36 (8,099 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2013 3:17:46 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

you are welcome

you are welcome

13 of 36 (8,099 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 21, 2013 8:38:00 PM
(0)
Professor

With the 18" dish you will only be able to get SD channels. You may have to change your channel display options to show SD channels, they are typically hidden. Go to SETUP, SETTINGS, DISPLAY, PREFERENCES and change the "Guide HD Channels:" option to either Show All CHannels, or "Hide HD channels".

There are a few channels that are only available in HD, and you won't be able to get those while on the 18" dish.

With the 18" dish you will only be able to get SD channels. You may have to change your channel display options to show SD channels, they are typically hidden. Go to SETUP, SETTINGS, DISPLAY, PREFERENCES and change the "Guide HD Channels:" option to either Show All CHannels, or "Hide HD channels".

There are a few channels that are only available in HD, and you won't be able to get those while on the 18" dish.

14 of 36 (8,099 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 22, 2013 6:03:16 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Carl6, if the HR24 is set up with an 18 round, it will only load SD channels. so no need to "unhide" them

Carl6, if the HR24 is set up with an 18 round, it will only load SD channels. so no need to "unhide" them

15 of 36 (8,099 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 22, 2013 8:54:44 PM
(0)
Tutor

Interesting. I was just told by a DTV tech that my HD DVR will not work

with the old 18" round sat and that I will need a "slimline" dish to

receive "any" channels??? Hmmmmm..........

Interesting. I was just told by a DTV tech that my HD DVR will not work

with the old 18" round sat and that I will need a "slimline" dish to

receive "any" channels??? Hmmmmm..........

16 of 36 (8,099 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 22, 2013 9:04:07 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

what model of receiver do you have. look for the model number inside the access card door.. 

what model of receiver do you have. look for the model number inside the access card door.. 

17 of 36 (8,099 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2013 3:08:54 AM
(0)
Expert

The tech was mistaken.  If you plan on taking the HR22 we discussed earlier, it will absolutely work.  A coax cable  (or two) directly from the dish and resetting the dish type to "Multiswitch" (if your current dish is a SWM) and you'll be good to go.  Of course the dish will need to be aligned in not already.

The tech was mistaken.  If you plan on taking the HR22 we discussed earlier, it will absolutely work.  A coax cable  (or two) directly from the dish and resetting the dish type to "Multiswitch" (if your current dish is a SWM) and you'll be good to go.  Of course the dish will need to be aligned in not already.

18 of 36 (8,099 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2013 6:01:12 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Tell him to come to these forums, we'll straighten him out...lol

Tell him to come to these forums, we'll straighten him out...lol

19 of 36 (8,099 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2013 8:52:20 AM
(0)
Tutor

It is H22.

John. Sent from my iPhone

It is H22.

20 of 36 (8,099 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2013 8:53:38 AM
(0)
Expert

Boy, will we, heheheh.

Boy, will we, heheheh.

21 of 36 (8,099 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2013 9:00:44 AM
(0)
Tutor

Lol

Lol

22 of 36 (8,099 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2013 11:32:06 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

There is no H22. perhaps H21 or H23?

There is no H22. perhaps H21 or H23?

23 of 36 (8,099 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 25, 2013 1:51:48 PM
(0)
Tutor

Here are the photos of the front and back of the DVR. It says HR22. So,

hopefully I will be ok in this whole process.

On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 11:33 AM, peds48

Here are the photos of the front and back of the DVR. It says HR22. So,

hopefully I will be ok in this whole process.

On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 11:33 AM, peds48

24 of 36 (8,099 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 25, 2013 2:21:36 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

the "R" in the model number makes a world of difference.  that is an HDDVR the "H" by itself means it an HD receiver.

the "R" in the model number makes a world of difference.  that is an HDDVR the "H" by itself means it an HD receiver.

25 of 36 (8,099 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 25, 2013 2:44:00 PM
(0)
Tutor

So hopefully this will still work with 18" round dish?

So hopefully this will still work with 18" round dish?

26 of 36 (8,099 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 25, 2013 2:48:05 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

yes it will

yes it will

27 of 36 (8,099 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 25, 2014 11:35:40 AM
(0)
Contributor

what kind of connection would I use from the receiver to the old TV? The new receiver does not have a coax out. The old TV needs a coax connection

what kind of connection would I use from the receiver to the old TV? The new receiver does not have a coax out. The old TV needs a coax connection

28 of 36 (8,099 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 25, 2014 12:03:15 PM
(0)
Professor

You need an RF modulator from Radio Shack or similar connect the composite outputs of the receiver to the RF modulator then coax to the TV.

You need an RF modulator from Radio Shack or similar connect the composite outputs of the receiver to the RF modulator then coax to the TV.

29 of 36 (8,099 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 25, 2014 12:13:24 PM
(0)
Contributor

the rf modulator doesn't have an hdmi input, only coax, RCA, and S video. How do I go from satellite receiver to RF?

the rf modulator doesn't have an hdmi input, only coax, RCA, and S video. How do I go from satellite receiver to RF?

30 of 36 (8,099 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments