Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Community

Posted Jul 1, 2014
6:59:54 PM
A large Closed Captioning box is blocking the picture

We require closed captioning. It has been working fine for months, then suddenly a couple weeks ago a large black box started appearing on the screen sometimes, blocking most of the picture and the captioning is illegible. We tried resetting the box and it went away for a couple hours and then came back. It is now constant. However, as soon as you turn off the closed captioning it goes away and the picture is fine. We have a dead family member so not having the closed captioning is not an option. How can we fix this?

We require closed captioning. It has been working fine for months, then suddenly a couple weeks ago a large black box started appearing on the screen sometimes, blocking most of the picture and the captioning is illegible. We tried resetting the box and it went away for a couple hours and then came back. It is now constant. However, as soon as you turn off the closed captioning it goes away and the picture is fine. We have a dead family member so not having the closed captioning is not an option. How can we fix this?

A large Closed Captioning box is blocking the picture

14 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(14)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 1, 2014 7:05:44 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

you need to change the CC mode to CC1

you need to change the CC mode to CC1

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: A large Closed Captioning box is blocking the picture

2 of 15 (11 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 1, 2014 7:07:33 PM
(0)
Teacher

Unfortunately this is a known issue. Engineering is working on it but they don't have an estimated time/date that it will be resolved.  It is affecting almost everyone and there is no workaround.

Unfortunately this is a known issue. Engineering is working on it but they don't have an estimated time/date that it will be resolved.  It is affecting almost everyone and there is no workaround.

3 of 15 (11 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 1, 2014 8:01:30 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

What model is your DirecTV Receiver/DVR?  Look for the label behind the front panel access card door, or on the rear panel.

What model is your DirecTV Receiver/DVR?  Look for the label behind the front panel access card door, or on the rear panel.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 15 (11 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 1, 2014 8:53:20 PM
(0)
Tutor

HR44-500 Receiver/DVR

HR44-500 Receiver/DVR

5 of 15 (11 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 1, 2014 11:23:24 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Have you tried changing the CC mode as suggests by peds48?

You might also try resetting the HR44 using the red button behind the front panel access card door.

Have you tried changing the CC mode as suggests by peds48?

You might also try resetting the HR44 using the red button behind the front panel access card door.

6 of 15 (11 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 2, 2014 10:51:34 PM
(0)
Scholar

Have you tried the CC on your TV not on DirecTV receiver? Not sure if it will work or not though.

Have you tried the CC on your TV not on DirecTV receiver? Not sure if it will work or not though.

7 of 15 (11 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 2, 2014 11:22:31 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

On HD DVRs/Receivers, the CC modes are controlled by the DVR/Receiver, not the TV.

On HD DVRs/Receivers, the CC modes are controlled by the DVR/Receiver, not the TV.

8 of 15 (11 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 3, 2014 9:20:07 AM
(0)
Tutor

We have tried all the different CC options and that hasn't helped. We also tried the reset button and unplugging the system, but the problem comes back.

We have tried all the different CC options and that hasn't helped. We also tried the reset button and unplugging the system, but the problem comes back.

9 of 15 (11 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 3, 2014 9:27:10 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Are you sure it's a CC box?  What happens if you turn off the DirecTV CC modes?  Does the box still come back?

Are you sure it's a CC box?  What happens if you turn off the DirecTV CC modes?  Does the box still come back?

10 of 15 (11 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 3, 2014 11:34:18 AM
(0)
Tutor

When we turn off the CC the box goes away and stays gone as long as we leave it off. It returns as soon as we turn the CC back on.

When we turn off the CC the box goes away and stays gone as long as we leave it off. It returns as soon as we turn the CC back on.

11 of 15 (11 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 3, 2014 12:23:01 PM
(0)
Teacher

Yeah.. That's why I said this is a known issue and they don't know what's causing it -So far no workaround.

Yeah.. That's why I said this is a known issue and they don't know what's causing it -So far no workaround.

12 of 15 (11 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 6, 2014 8:12:36 AM
(0)
Contributor

I am having the same problem too.

I am having the same problem too.

13 of 15 (11 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2014 8:16:36 AM
(0)
Tutor

I am also having the same issue. Was hoping for a solution. Started when I upgraded to genie. Never happened with the original HD/DVR

I am also having the same issue. Was hoping for a solution. Started when I upgraded to genie. Never happened with the original HD/DVR

14 of 15 (11 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 9, 2014 6:07:13 PM
(0)
Contributor

Yes needs to be fixed now.  We are hearing impaired and require cc.  We upgraded to the genie and spend quite a bit of money on directv.  We should not have to deal with this.  What will inspire Directv to resolve this faster??

Yes needs to be fixed now.  We are hearing impaired and require cc.  We upgraded to the genie and spend quite a bit of money on directv.  We should not have to deal with this.  What will inspire Directv to resolve this faster??

15 of 15 (11 Views)