Ask a question
Search in DIRECTV Forums

DIRECTV Community

Posted Apr 23, 2014
8:26:24 AM
View profile
771 and 775 everytime I flush the tiolet

My house has a well with a variable speed pump.  It has a very small pressure tank, so when I flush the toilet the pump runs I then get the 771/775 errors.  The location of the control box for the pump is below my wiring closet for the house.  Each bedroom in the house has about 6 cables, plus those in the living room and a few connectors outside it has somewhere around 70 cables in the wiring closet that run over the top of the pump control unit.   I have moved the power plug for direct TV to my battery backup system for my phone, that did not correct the problem.

Any recommendations about what I can do to stop the 771 / 775.

My house has a well with a variable speed pump.  It has a very small pressure tank, so when I flush the toilet the pump runs I then get the 771/775 errors.  The location of the control box for the pump is below my wiring closet for the house.  Each bedroom in the house has about 6 cables, plus those in the living room and a few connectors outside it has somewhere around 70 cables in the wiring closet that run over the top of the pump control unit.   I have moved the power plug for direct TV to my battery backup system for my phone, that did not correct the problem.

Any recommendations about what I can do to stop the 771 / 775.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Apr 27, 2014 7:14:34 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Good to hear. Thanks for the update.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Accepted Solution

771 and 775 everytime I flush the tiolet

17 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(17)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 23, 2014 8:28:16 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

This symptom points to a problem with your home's electrical system, most likely a defective or inadequate grounding.  If isolating the DirecTV equipment with a UPS doesn't help, then you really should have your home's electrical system checked.  Verify that the dish is properly grounded to your home's electrical system.  

This symptom points to a problem with your home's electrical system, most likely a defective or inadequate grounding.  If isolating the DirecTV equipment with a UPS doesn't help, then you really should have your home's electrical system checked.  Verify that the dish is properly grounded to your home's electrical system.  

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: 771 and 775 everytime I flush the tiolet

2 of 18 (11 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 23, 2014 1:05:40 PM
(0)
Guru

You can get a basic voltage tester from any hardware store.when the

Pump is running check the voltage

In those outlets if they are dropping

Too much voltage do to the well pump

That could be causing the 21v power inserter to not work as it should causing 775/771

You can get a basic voltage tester from any hardware store.when the

Pump is running check the voltage

In those outlets if they are dropping

Too much voltage do to the well pump

That could be causing the 21v power inserter to not work as it should causing 775/771

3 of 18 (11 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 23, 2014 5:11:21 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

A basic "voltage tester" won't help diagnose an open ground or reversed ground/neutral.  Best to call a qualified electrician to verify the house wiring and dish grounding. 

A basic "voltage tester" won't help diagnose an open ground or reversed ground/neutral.  Best to call a qualified electrician to verify the house wiring and dish grounding. 

4 of 18 (11 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 23, 2014 5:18:57 PM
(0)
Tutor

Experiment 1:

I plug what I believe is the swm into my ups/battery backup.  I then disconnected the ups from the power so the swm was using the battery backup, no connection to the house power.  I ran the water and I received the errors again. 

Could the 220 for the well be generating some sort of electrical field that is interfering with the cable.  

Experiment 1:

I plug what I believe is the swm into my ups/battery backup.  I then disconnected the ups from the power so the swm was using the battery backup, no connection to the house power.  I ran the water and I received the errors again. 

Could the 220 for the well be generating some sort of electrical field that is interfering with the cable.  

5 of 18 (11 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 23, 2014 5:20:24 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Absolutely.  Especially if the dish and incoming coax aren't properly grounded.   These can be very very tricky issues to diagnose.  Hopefully you have lots of patience if you don't want to call in a pro.

Absolutely.  Especially if the dish and incoming coax aren't properly grounded.   These can be very very tricky issues to diagnose.  Hopefully you have lots of patience if you don't want to call in a pro.

6 of 18 (11 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 23, 2014 5:30:05 PM
(0)
Guru

They sell a simple tester at any hardware store that you plug into

Any outlet that will blatantly tell

You if you have a hot nuetural reverse

Open ground or correct.

Any how if you follow the simple instructions I listed you cab trouble

Shoot that for say about 15$

I think the pump is pulling to many amps from the service panel.Its probably wired on the same leg.

Try running an extension cord to another outlet on a different breaker

They sell a simple tester at any hardware store that you plug into

Any outlet that will blatantly tell

You if you have a hot nuetural reverse

Open ground or correct.

Any how if you follow the simple instructions I listed you cab trouble

Shoot that for say about 15$

I think the pump is pulling to many amps from the service panel.Its probably wired on the same leg.

Try running an extension cord to another outlet on a different breaker

7 of 18 (11 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 23, 2014 5:36:57 PM
(0)
Guru

I would also try extension cord from receiver as well as swm into ups to

Take in account faulty home wiring

I would also try extension cord from receiver as well as swm into ups to

Take in account faulty home wiring

8 of 18 (11 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2014 2:58:08 PM
(0)
Tutor

Experiment 2:  I ran an extension cord from the genie to the UPS, the swm is already connected to the UPS.  It ran with no problem.  I disconnected the power it ran with no problem.  I flushed the toilet got the 771 and 775. 

Still pointing to something in the cable/cable path related to the 220 pump control panel. 

Experiment 2:  I ran an extension cord from the genie to the UPS, the swm is already connected to the UPS.  It ran with no problem.  I disconnected the power it ran with no problem.  I flushed the toilet got the 771 and 775. 

Still pointing to something in the cable/cable path related to the 220 pump control panel. 

9 of 18 (11 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2014 3:10:42 PM
(0)
Guru

Where is the dish is it in the ground next to the pump or a great deal away

Also are you flushing with both Swm

And genie in ups

Where is the dish is it in the ground next to the pump or a great deal away

Also are you flushing with both Swm

And genie in ups

10 of 18 (11 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2014 3:16:01 PM
(0)
Tutor

The dish is on the roof, cable runs down the side of the house into a hole in the foundation.

Both Swm and Genie are on the ups right now.

The dish is on the roof, cable runs down the side of the house into a hole in the foundation.

Both Swm and Genie are on the ups right now.

11 of 18 (11 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2014 3:21:07 PM
(0)
Guru

Is the pump system near the hole drilled in the foundation

Is the pump system near the hole drilled in the foundation

12 of 18 (11 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2014 3:56:17 PM
(0)
Tutor

The pump control unit is 18ft from where the hole is drilled in the foundation.  The control unit is right below my wiring closet where all my directv/cat6/rg cables converge for the whole house.  There is a power cable for the pump well head that comes out of the control unit that is stapled (i believe the joist). 

The pump control unit is 18ft from where the hole is drilled in the foundation.  The control unit is right below my wiring closet where all my directv/cat6/rg cables converge for the whole house.  There is a power cable for the pump well head that comes out of the control unit that is stapled (i believe the joist). 

13 of 18 (11 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2014 4:06:07 PM
(0)
Guru

Can you post some pics

Can you post some pics

14 of 18 (11 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2014 4:52:07 PM
(0)
Tutor

This weekend I will buy 2 x RG6 cables w/caps 50' to go outside the house into the utility room into the wiring closet. 

From the dish on the roof there are two connectors on the rg6 just before it goes through the foundation, I will redirect to my rg6.

This should be an easy test of the system.  Am I looking at any possible gotchas.   

This weekend I will buy 2 x RG6 cables w/caps 50' to go outside the house into the utility room into the wiring closet. 

From the dish on the roof there are two connectors on the rg6 just before it goes through the foundation, I will redirect to my rg6.

This should be an easy test of the system.  Am I looking at any possible gotchas.   

15 of 18 (11 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2014 4:56:20 PM
(0)
Guru

That's what I would do run the test line from the dish straight into the swim

Power inserter on the port that says power to Swm

This will pin the cabling as the issue

Which I'm leaning on.

That's what I would do run the test line from the dish straight into the swim

Power inserter on the port that says power to Swm

This will pin the cabling as the issue

Which I'm leaning on.

16 of 18 (11 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 27, 2014 3:22:55 PM
(0)
Tutor

I am working.  I switched to the outside connection still experienced the problem.  There was a lot of old stuff from the installation in the closet previous directv installation, got rid of all the old pieces and the dangling cables.  I also removed the Internet Connection cleaned up the wiring to a single line running to the living room.

Thanks for all the help.  Case closed.

I am working.  I switched to the outside connection still experienced the problem.  There was a lot of old stuff from the installation in the closet previous directv installation, got rid of all the old pieces and the dangling cables.  I also removed the Internet Connection cleaned up the wiring to a single line running to the living room.

Thanks for all the help.  Case closed.

17 of 18 (11 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Apr 27, 2014 7:14:34 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

18 of 18 (11 Views)
Solution