Ask a question
Search in Internet Forums

Internet Forum

Posted Oct 21, 2009
1:06:04 PM
connection problem with my macbook pro
hi i don't know why but whenever i am using my macbook on my wireless home network the connection dies and internet is unavailable for about a minute and comes back on and it does not happen with other computer which is not a macbook how do i fix this?
hi i don't know why but whenever i am using my macbook on my wireless home network the connection dies and internet is unavailable for about a minute and comes back on and it does not happen with other computer which is not a macbook how do i fix this?
Accepted Solution

connection problem with my macbook pro

101 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(101)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 5, 2011 8:49:18 PM
(0)
Teacher

I ALSO ADVISE TO SWITCH TO WIRELESS - B mode and/or switch to 24mbps maximum connection rate

or DTIM of 5

some combination of these settings is what makes the modem stable. Definitely the wireless-b only mode eliminates the RED light but the modem could still become unresponsive to clients. 

I ALSO ADVISE TO SWITCH TO WIRELESS - B mode and/or switch to 24mbps maximum connection rate

or DTIM of 5

some combination of these settings is what makes the modem stable. Definitely the wireless-b only mode eliminates the RED light but the modem could still become unresponsive to clients. 

Re: connection problem with my macbook pro

91 of 102 (7,829 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 6, 2011 8:26:33 PM
(0)
Employee

you could change just one at a time and see what does it. Least then you would nail the culprit down for sure.

Try it in this order first.

1.) try changing back to G

If still positive connectivty

2.) try undoing your DTIM

if undoing both still gives you positive connectivty , then the IP scheme change was the culprit and changing it was the solution.

Least then you would know for sure what did it! which might be worth it to a lot of MAC users around here.

you could change just one at a time and see what does it. Least then you would nail the culprit down for sure.

Try it in this order first.

1.) try changing back to G

If still positive connectivty

2.) try undoing your DTIM

if undoing both still gives you positive connectivty , then the IP scheme change was the culprit and changing it was the solution.

Least then you would know for sure what did it! which might be worth it to a lot of MAC users around here.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

92 of 102 (7,820 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 6, 2011 9:02:19 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by themack707 on May 6, 2011 at 9:03:09 PM

To everyone,

Im about 95% sure the winning combination is wireless-b only mode AND change ip address pool to 172.16.x.x

David,

I've set the dtim and connection rate back to default....havent noticed instability....i think its finally working!

I'm happy! If I get anything new to report I will, but otherwise I'm happy, and I'm sure other people will be as well.

To everyone,

Im about 95% sure the winning combination is wireless-b only mode AND change ip address pool to 172.16.x.x

David,

I've set the dtim and connection rate back to default....havent noticed instability....i think its finally working!

I'm happy! If I get anything new to report I will, but otherwise I'm happy, and I'm sure other people will be as well.

[ Edited ]
93 of 102 (7,817 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 7, 2011 7:25:31 PM
(0)
Contributor

I am a 'technologically challenged' MacBook user on a 2Wire modem and am experiencing the exact same issues as you all are describing.  I've had a handful of technicians out to my home, spent hours on the phone with AT&T, received a new modem on Wednesday and I am still dropping the connection incessantly.  Can you please explain to me exactly how to do these two things?  I'm on a MacBook, not a MacBook pro, but hopefully someone will be able to lead me in the right direction.  I'm ready to toss my laptop and modem out the window right about now.  

I am a 'technologically challenged' MacBook user on a 2Wire modem and am experiencing the exact same issues as you all are describing.  I've had a handful of technicians out to my home, spent hours on the phone with AT&T, received a new modem on Wednesday and I am still dropping the connection incessantly.  Can you please explain to me exactly how to do these two things?  I'm on a MacBook, not a MacBook pro, but hopefully someone will be able to lead me in the right direction.  I'm ready to toss my laptop and modem out the window right about now.  

94 of 102 (7,809 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
May 8, 2011 2:26:30 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by themack707 on May 8, 2011 at 2:28:09 AM

you have to go into the wireless settings of the modem http://192.168.0.254

go to home network -> wireless settings 

enter in router password

go down to additional settings -> wireless mode -> CHANGE to "b"

click save

go to home network -> advanced settings

go to private network -> click on 172.16.0.0

click save

you have to go into the wireless settings of the modem http://192.168.0.254

go to home network -> wireless settings 

enter in router password

go down to additional settings -> wireless mode -> CHANGE to "b"

click save

go to home network -> advanced settings

go to private network -> click on 172.16.0.0

click save

[ Edited ]
95 of 102 (7,802 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 10, 2011 12:05:17 AM
(0)
Contributor

Thank you so, so, so much for your help!  I did this shortly after your posting and have had zero connectivity issues since.  I am so happy not to have to deal with changing services over this.  Thanks again!!  

Thank you so, so, so much for your help!  I did this shortly after your posting and have had zero connectivity issues since.  I am so happy not to have to deal with changing services over this.  Thanks again!!  

96 of 102 (7,783 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 10, 2011 11:25:15 AM
(0)
Employee

Just a question to you...

I saw in one post where you were operating G and it was working and then B it's working as well. Is the change from G to B needed or no?

Again just to clear up any confusion from prior posts.

Just a question to you...

I saw in one post where you were operating G and it was working and then B it's working as well. Is the change from G to B needed or no?

Again just to clear up any confusion from prior posts.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

97 of 102 (7,773 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 10, 2011 11:57:07 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by themack707 on May 10, 2011 at 11:59:25 AM

the two must be combined

the two must be combined

[ Edited ]
98 of 102 (7,769 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 21, 2011 9:37:27 PM
(0)
Teacher

rock solid. I am glad ~I~ was able to help solve this issue.

rock solid. I am glad ~I~ was able to help solve this issue.

99 of 102 (7,696 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 5, 2011 6:12:37 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by dlc1265 on Jul 5, 2011 at 6:33:20 PM

After a storm and the power going out, I couldn't get my bridged 2Wire and NetGear router to work.  I couldn't find the right 'combination' of resetting and such; so I tried just the 2Wire again.  Same problems..

I changed the address to 172.16.x.x as suggested.  It seems to work great!  One problem...

Now that I have changed the 2Wire address, I cannot log into the 2wire hardware using http://192.168.0.254.

What would the new address be that I need to type into my browser to access the hardware?

Thanks!

DUH!  THAT WAS A DUMB QUESTION!!  

NEVERMIND!!!

Thanks for the advice!

After a storm and the power going out, I couldn't get my bridged 2Wire and NetGear router to work.  I couldn't find the right 'combination' of resetting and such; so I tried just the 2Wire again.  Same problems..

I changed the address to 172.16.x.x as suggested.  It seems to work great!  One problem...

Now that I have changed the 2Wire address, I cannot log into the 2wire hardware using http://192.168.0.254.

What would the new address be that I need to type into my browser to access the hardware?

Thanks!

DUH!  THAT WAS A DUMB QUESTION!!  

NEVERMIND!!!

Thanks for the advice!

[ Edited ]
100 of 102 (7,489 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 29, 2011 7:04:20 PM
(0)
Contributor

My wife has had a problem staying connected to our 2wire for over a year since she bought it. No one was able to help, and I dreaded going to the support line again so I went on line and found your post, tried it, and it works perfectly! I appreciate you taking the time and your talent to post this fix. It was an enormous help!! Thank you!!!!

My wife has had a problem staying connected to our 2wire for over a year since she bought it. No one was able to help, and I dreaded going to the support line again so I went on line and found your post, tried it, and it works perfectly! I appreciate you taking the time and your talent to post this fix. It was an enormous help!! Thank you!!!!

101 of 102 (3,919 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 16, 2012 9:12:31 AM
(0)
Tutor

I'm having a similar problem. My Mac Pro, which is hardwired, works great. Our iPhones and iPads connect wirelessly and work great as well. However, our Apple laptops (12" PowerBook & 13" MacBook) wont connect wirelessly anymore. Leading up to a few days ago, the laptops would lose connection periodically and I'd just reset the modem/router to fix the issue. Well now resetting the modem does nothing. The laptops "connect" to the network but I can't pull up any pages on the web. I called AT&T tech support and spent forever trying to fix the problem but couldn't. Since they couldn't figure it out, they figured it was a hardware problem and sent a new Gateway. It still doesn't work. 

I attempted to do what themack707 said: I changed the wireless mode to "b". However, whenever I switch the DHCP Network Range to 172.16.0.0 and hit save, it stalls out--nothing happens so I have to reset the Gateway again.

Does anyone know how to fix this? It's really frustrating...

I'm having a similar problem. My Mac Pro, which is hardwired, works great. Our iPhones and iPads connect wirelessly and work great as well. However, our Apple laptops (12" PowerBook & 13" MacBook) wont connect wirelessly anymore. Leading up to a few days ago, the laptops would lose connection periodically and I'd just reset the modem/router to fix the issue. Well now resetting the modem does nothing. The laptops "connect" to the network but I can't pull up any pages on the web. I called AT&T tech support and spent forever trying to fix the problem but couldn't. Since they couldn't figure it out, they figured it was a hardware problem and sent a new Gateway. It still doesn't work. 

I attempted to do what themack707 said: I changed the wireless mode to "b". However, whenever I switch the DHCP Network Range to 172.16.0.0 and hit save, it stalls out--nothing happens so I have to reset the Gateway again.

Does anyone know how to fix this? It's really frustrating...

102 of 102 (3,494 Views)