hyunbum11128's profile

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

Wednesday, October 21st, 2009 8:06 PM

connection problem with my macbook pro

hi i don't know why but whenever i am using my macbook on my wireless home network the connection dies and internet is unavailable for about a minute and comes back on and it does not happen with other computer which is not a macbook how do i fix this?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

14 years ago

And unfortunately, I've lost my connection twice this evening. Such a little annoying inconvenience... I'll respond to the automated phone call now... Issue not fixed.

Former Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

14 years ago

Hello tiffr, I truly appreciate that you took your valuable time to let us know that you are experiencing intermittent connection issue while trying to connect to the Internet and please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience that you might have experienced. In order to resolve this issue, we need to know the name of the modem/router that you are using and also the light status when the connection drops, if the Internet is working intermittently through the wireless connection and working fine through the ethernet cable connection, there could be problem with the wireless signals and the settings of the modem/router needs to be correct for the same. However, if the Internet is working intermittently while connecting the computer direct to the modem/router via ethernet cable, the problem could be with the filters or internal wiring. Please try to swap the filters and check if all the cables are connected properly or not. I would also like to explain that the DSL is very sensitive to Electromagnetic Interference (EMI). It is important to make sure that the DSL modem and telephone lines are placed in such a way as to minimize this interference, as well as placing them to provide adequate cooling. The following are a few of the possible causes of Electromagnetic Interference on a DSL line: - Halogen desk lamps near the DSL modem or telephone line, especially those with dimmers. - Any electrical dimmer switch. - Electronic devices, such as stereo speakers, PC speakers, televisions, monitors, microwave ovens, etc. - Routing the telephone line parallel to an AC power cord for more than a few inches. - Electronic insect electrocution devices (bug zappers). - Low quality 900MHz cordless telephones. - Any other emitter of high frequency electromagnetic radiation. - Placement of DSL equipment directly on a carpeted surface. After checking all the things mentioned above if the issue persist, it is recommended that you contact the AT&T eChat helpdesk. If you are in 'AR, CA, CT, IL, IN, KS, MI, MO, NV, OH, OK, TX, or WI' area, please use the link mentioned below: https://pattta.att.motive.com/netagent/questionnaire_c2c_dsl_sw.aspx

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

14 years ago

im getting really tired of this stupid disconnection either provide us a update that will fix everything or please provide solutions other than go to this live chat where it does not help anything or call apple or go to home network and change to WPA and channel to 11........

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

14 years ago

Well here i am working wireless at my mothers house who has comcast with a linksys n router. Working for over 1 hr wirelessly, not 1 issue with the connection. Oh man is it nice. Need to figure out either drop the at&t or try the airport express wireless with the 2wire combo. I'm really curious to know if any one has had luck with this combination ?Not sure how the speed compare to Att but just ran a speed test Comcast Down 20.97 mbs Up 4.20 mbs Using speakeasy.net When Im home I shall check att if the connection does not drop.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

14 years ago

will apple be able to fix the disconnection with 10.6.3 upgrade? if not i will be seriously considering to change the internet provider....

Guru

• 

940 Messages

14 years ago

I hate to point out the obvious here, but Penny and Cathy, you're advice is not working. No matter if we check all the cable connections (which by the way how do we get online in the first place if the cables aren't connected properly?), change the wireless channel, change the power setting, talk to eChat, nothing works! It's plain and simple, there is an inherent problem with this 2wire DSL modem and it's compatibility with Mac and AT&T simply doesn't have a fix. At one point you guys even recommended purchasing a new modem from the equipment shop. Are you INSANE? Why on earth should we pay for a new modem? This should be the sole responsibility of AT&T, not the customer. WE are the ones paying for service in the first place!! It appears the only solution to this problem is to switch providers.

Former Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

14 years ago

Hello jwhite00,

The wireless issues with 2 Wire router would still be best resolved if you work hand in hand with Home Networking team and troubleshoot according to their recommendations.
If you are experiencing wireless issue, while connecting your Mac book with 2 Wire router, it is recommended that you contact our Home Networking team. If require they may ask you to contact Mac technical support.

For assistance with wireless issue with 2 Wire router we have help available at 1-800-345-7669 between 6am to 8pm Monday through Saturday, 7:00am to 6:30pm on Sunday.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

14 years ago

Just purchased a Cisco Linksys router Model: WRT120N from BB for $69.99 on sale down from $99.99. I plan to Bridge the 2wire this weekend, hope that solves the issues.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

14 years ago

I have an ongoing issue with my DSL, it keeps dropping, randomly, sometimes once an hour, sometimes every 5 minutes. AT&T has been out here 3 times, they have replaced all the phone line from the road to my house, replaced the DSL filters with an external on the box, I have replaced my old westel modem with a new AT&T 2-Wire DSL modem and had all the wiring checked in my house. It doesn't seem to drop when I am just using my Dell. When my Macbook Pro tries to connect to the time machine backup (which is does successfully) it seems to drop. I have the Airport Extreme connected via ethernet to the 2-Wire, but I have also tried turning off the Time Machine backup, unplugging the Airport Extreme, disabling the backup on my MBP, and connected the DSL modem directly to the outside box on my house with nothing else on and it still keeps dropping. I have eliminated everything I can think of and every time I call AT&T they threaten me with an $80 fee just to come out. It is not a problem with my house wiring, my modem (just bought a second new 2-wire today, still drops the connection)? I called AT&T DSL and a Level 2 Tech said he "thought" there was noise on the line but they could not (or would not) troubleshoot any farther because there was an appointment for someone to look at my phone line and they wouldn't do anything else until that was done (although they have already done that 3 times now). Any suggestions at all, other than the so obvious ones listed? This has been going on for about a month and it driving me crazy. I am on AT&T's 6mb DSL FastAccess. My 2-Wire connection settings are below, but right now it is connected of course. AT&T DSL 2-Wire Modem 2701HG-8

Former Employee

• 

69 Messages

14 years ago

Hi scottfillmer,

I am very sorry for all the trouble that this issue had caused you. It would be better if you call our DSL Help Desk at 888.321.2375 and request to be transferred to our 2Wire Home Networking Level 2 since all the possible troubleshooting steps that we can give you are already listed on this thread. This should have nothing to do with your DSL signal since your Dell (Windows) computer can connect to the internet just fine. Please follow their recommendation regarding the incompatibility issues between your Mac OS computer and 2Wire gateway.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.