reswhiz's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Tuesday, December 4th, 2012 4:42 AM

Windows 8 issue with 2wire 2701 gateway?

Hello all.

I have had the same 2wire modem/router for 5 years or so. I have always had a steady, reliable, wireless internet connection.  Then, I decided to buy a new computer, and wound up getting a Dell 660s with Windows 8.  While the loading of webpages and buffering of videos increased greatly with the faster computer, my wireless connection to the 2wire is now unstable.  Randomly, when I launch a browser or new web page, I get an error message from the 2wire that the gateway doesn't have a internet connection.  If I wait 20-30 seconds, and try again, it connects fine.

I spent an hour on-line with Dell, re-installed the drives for the wireless card, with no results.  They said everything looked fine with the computer.

Since I have two 5 year old XP based machines hooked to the gateway ( one with a Cat 5 cable, and the other thru a wireless card) it has never had a problem, I am leaning toward a problem with Windows 8.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I am not a techy.  Would disabling the MAC filtering affect the 2WIRE's ability to work with Apple devices such computers, iPads, iPods and phones?

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

We recently were given a new gateway box NVG589 - we have a wired connection.  Since that happened it akes at least 10 minutes for our new HP Pavillion, running Windows 8.1, to connect to the internet.  During that 10 minute period it flips from ethernet connect OK to not connected.  After talking to both ATT and HP, we have yet to come up with a solution.  Prior  to getting the new gateway - we had absolutely NO PROBLEMS with connecting and our other PC still running Windows XP connects to the internet immediately.  I  did post this issue on the Microsoft community and a tech got back to me saying to try boot in safe mode and then if the issue does not persist boot in clean boot and see if that helps - haven't tried this solution yet...but I don't think a new gateway will help you and it really does seem that there is a problem between ATT and Wincows 8 and/or 8/1

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.