reswhiz's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Tuesday, December 4th, 2012 4:42 AM

Windows 8 issue with 2wire 2701 gateway?

Hello all.

I have had the same 2wire modem/router for 5 years or so. I have always had a steady, reliable, wireless internet connection.  Then, I decided to buy a new computer, and wound up getting a Dell 660s with Windows 8.  While the loading of webpages and buffering of videos increased greatly with the faster computer, my wireless connection to the 2wire is now unstable.  Randomly, when I launch a browser or new web page, I get an error message from the 2wire that the gateway doesn't have a internet connection.  If I wait 20-30 seconds, and try again, it connects fine.

I spent an hour on-line with Dell, re-installed the drives for the wireless card, with no results.  They said everything looked fine with the computer.

Since I have two 5 year old XP based machines hooked to the gateway ( one with a Cat 5 cable, and the other thru a wireless card) it has never had a problem, I am leaning toward a problem with Windows 8.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Voyager

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I'm having the same exact issue.  2Wire modem, no issues ever in the past, new computer with Windows 8 this week, and the exact same thing happens.  Incredibly frustrating.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

Oh, and I forgot to add:

Sometimes I get the Error with the Certificate message from Windows instead of the ATT 2Wire lack of connection window.

And, sometimes IE just churns and doesn't connect. This is much less seldom though.

I did some research, and Microsoft had posted something about the Internet Clock needed to be synced, or sometimes you get the Cert error message.  I checked and I have the proper settings.

When I get time, I plan to move the hardware so I can plug the computer into the 2Wire with a Cat 5 cable to see if it is just a wireless problem.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

No one has any advise?Robot Sad

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I also have the same problem: news Windows 8 laptop and no prior issues with the 2Wire DSL on the old PC or WiFi when iOS devices are using it. As soon as I browse on the Laptop, the connection gets erratic.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

I'm having the same issue with an Asus X202 Windows 8 laptop.  However, I have noticed it really only seems to happen when I use the Metro UI.  When I'm using IE10 in the Desktop app, everything seems to run along smoothly.  This issue affects the Metro UI IE as well as other Metro UI apps.  

When the issue occurs, sometimes my DSL light will start blinking red, and sometimes just my Internet light will go out.  I have had a 2Wire/DSL for several years as well without any issues like this.

I called AT&T about this and the technician had no idea, but he did end up finding this thread.  He's supposed to call me tonight.  It sounded like he was leaning toward sending a replacement router, but he said he found other instances of people having this issue with routers *other* than the 2Wire.  The common factor was Windows 8.

I've tried looking around the Internet, but I'm just not finding anything.  My job is a Network Administrator, and this makes absolutely no sense to me.  Why would the DSL get out of sync just because I'm browsing the web with a Metro app?  I've had iPads, iPhones, and Androids in my house and have never seen this issue.

I'll update this post after speaking with AT&T technical support tonight.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

So, the AT&T representative never called me.  I called in again last night and spoke with a representative that wasn't helpful at all.  He rebuilt my circuit yet again, and the problem came right back.

I called back and spoke to someone else who seemed to be more helpful.  He ended up suggesting there's most likely a compatibility problem between the 2Wire and Windows 8.  He said that since 2Wire got bought by Pace, there's not a lot that can be done as they aren't releasing firmware updates anymore.  He said maybe Microsoft will release an update that fix the issue...but who knows if that will ever happen.

Ultimately, he tried to sell me a new gateway/router, which I declined (since they were $100).  It's possible that you could put the 2Wire in bridged mode and then buy a $20 router to solve the problem, but I'm not sure if that's what I want to do.  I think at this point I'm going to call customer service and see what they can do for me.

Also, I'm having this issue on wireless, but I don't think it's occuring on a wired connection.

Hope this helps somebody.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

OK, so I spent some time on the phone with ATT Tech Support.  I spoke to a very nice man named Sam I think (if they have men named Sam in Calcutta).  Anyway, he told me to go into the 2wire wireless settings, and change the settings from WEP-open to WPA-PSK WPA2-PSK. It appeared to help, as I spanked the computer pretty hard, hopping between websites and opening and closing IE as fast as I could.  However, I did manage to lock up the 2wire gateway up again.  I will try it for a while without leaping all over the place on the net, and see it it holds up.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

I'm using WPA2-PSK and having the issue still...although I did change from WPA-PSK because of issues disconnecting from the router (not the Internet, but the router).

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

Well, no luck with the other settings.  At this point, I am pretty well convinced it is simply a compatiblity issue with Windows 8 and the 5 year old 2Wire gateway.  I see a new gateway in my future, or just returning this computer and trying to find one with Windows 7 on it!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I have had the same issues with both Windows 7 and Windows 8.  Check MAC address filtering on 2wire under wireless settings.  l have found the MAC address filtering function does not work with Win 7 or Win 8 and therefore you need to disable this function (significant security change) or utilize alternate program for wifi on the computer, Verizon VM works.  This is a 2wire issue.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.