pc_nv's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Saturday, May 25th, 2013 8:41 PM

Windows 8 causing AT&T DSL router problems...

At first I thought it was an AT&T DSL ROUTER problem when the DSL light would go RED and the internet light would go out..intermittenly.   Then the lights would blink for a while and finally come back.

I have had this AT&T router for a few years with no problems with 4 computers HARD WIRED into the router.  One running UBUNTU, two running Windows XP and one running Windows 7 everyday as I work from home using it.

Then one day i decided to buy a brand new PC running Windows 8 and pulled one of my windows xp boxes out so i still have four computers.

But here is the problem.  When, and ONLY WHEN i use the Windows 8 PC does my AT&T DSL ROUTER no have intermittent errors.  I now only use the Windows PC when NONE of the other PC are being used, and even powered down because of the DSL situation going on with Windows 8.

Since there is no one out there that will believe me, I will just wait till some big corporation upgrades to Windows 8 that use AT&T DSL ROUTERS in remote places and the problem will then be addressed...till then i have figured out how to live with this mess...(maybe cable...but that is a shame that it is NOT AT&T causing the problem...pretty neat how one company can cause another company to lose Customers...Only my opinion...)  

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

11 years ago

@pc_nv wrote:

At first I thought it was an AT&T DSL ROUTER problem when the DSL light would go RED and the internet light would go out..intermittenly.   Then the lights would blink for a while and finally come back.

I have had this AT&T router for a few years with no problems with 4 computers HARD WIRED into the router.  One running UBUNTU, two running Windows XP and one running Windows 7 everyday as I work from home using it.

Then one day i decided to buy a brand new PC running Windows 8 and pulled one of my windows xp boxes out so i still have four computers.

But here is the problem.  When, and ONLY WHEN i use the Windows 8 PC does my AT&T DSL ROUTER no have intermittent errors.  I now only use the Windows PC when NONE of the other PC are being used, and even powered down because of the DSL situation going on with Windows 8.

Since there is no one out there that will believe me, I will just wait till some big corporation upgrades to Windows 8 that use AT&T DSL ROUTERS in remote places and the problem will then be addressed...till then i have figured out how to live with this mess...(maybe cable...but that is a shame that it is NOT AT&T causing the problem...pretty neat how one company can cause another company to lose Customers...Only my opinion...)  

Ok, let me see if I've got this right.

Network and all other computers/devices work fine until you connect the Win 8 computer?

Win 8 computer by itself still causes problem?

Is your new computer a desktop or laptop?

How is your new computer conected to your modem/router.

How often does the modem/router reboot when the Win 8 computer is connected, regular intervals or random intervals?

What make/model is your modem/router?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

11 years ago

OK boys and girls, I claim something in windows 8 is causing my DSL environment to fail.  Here are the details:

I have 4 computers:

#1 DELL XPS1 with windows 8 with 12 GB RAM

62 BIT operating system SYSTEM x64 based processor

intel(R) core(TM) 7-3770 CPU @3.40GHS

NO PEN AND NO TOUCH SCREEN (so these can’t be the problem)

(this system will take my DSL environment down!)

#2 Thinkpad with windows 7

#3 Lenovo with windows XP

#4 HP with UBUNTU (which i connected after the errors started so it can't be that)

I have DSL from AT&T on a completely different, separate line that my land line phones.  Yes, AT&T calls about once a month to ask why I am not just sharing the DSL with the voice...I have to explain how when i have trouble with the internet i have to spend hours reviewing number of phones, filters, zappers, distance and other things like cordless phones before they start working on teh real problem...with the separate circuit i save hours of meaningless debugging.  With the separate circuit, the DSL has been working for years with no strange problems...(like this one)

the DSL modem thingy thing has the AT&T LOGO with a big stamp saying AT&T.  It has both wireless and ports for hard wiring your computer to it.  Before you all go into the wireless issues, my four computers are HARD WIRED to it so it can't be all those wireless war stories that i heard about and any that I lived through.

the modem thingy says it is a 2-wire gateway 4200-001047-001 with a serial number of *******

the modem thingy has 5 lights taht are all green when everything is working...the bottom two lights are labeled DSL and INTERNET.  these are the ones that go whacky when i am doing wtuff on the windows 8 computer.  Normally they burn steady...but they will begin to flash, and the DSL will even turn red or go out completely...and the internet URL that I would be working on when this happens will be taken over by a 2wire url error screen or an AT&T message will show up saving connectivity has been lost.     

If i X out of the internet session, the modem will return to two steady green lights.

When the error happens, the other three computers lose connectivity too.  Since i work from home a lot, I never touch the windows 8 computer when I am using my work computer because it will knock me out of the water.

I can turn all the other computers OFF and the windows 8 will still take the modem thingy (DSL) down.  It usually happens when viewing web sites like YAHOO where pictures and stories are being looked at.  I do not believe i saw the problem when accessing many other sites without a bunch of flashing ads and such like what a yahoo site does.    

Though the modem thingy has wireless capabilities, ALL COMPUTERS ARE HARD WIRED INTO THE MODEM THINGY.  (so it can't be the wireless stuff!).   I had to do this as well because of the wasted time technicians take reviewing wireless settings, distances of the computers, number of walls between the computers and the thingy, and asking about radar stations that might be close to the house and such...

Anyway, that is the story.  If I call Microsoft they will say it is an AT&T DSL problem and if I call AT&T they will say it is a computer software problem.  So unless you are willing to come to my house with knowledge of DSL modem thingies and windows 8 internet expertise I will just wait till some big important company hits the problem.  Then it will get resolved.

[edited for privacy]

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

11 years ago

here is exactly what i get on the internet session when the URL is taken over by the error:

The Broadband Link is Currently Not Available
Error

DSL Failed to Connect

The 2Wire device does not detect a DSL signal or is having problems connecting. To restore your internet connection, please refer to the diagram below and the step-by-step troubleshooting instructions that follow.

1. Verify that the telephone cable is still properly connected between a working wall jack and the 2Wire device port labeled PHONE LINE or the 2Wire device port labeled DSL.

2. If your 2Wire device is connected to a DSL phone filter, make sure it is connected to the filter port labeled DSL/HPNA or to the filter jack labeled DSL.

3. Make sure that ALL phones, answering machines, or other devices which connect to a phone jack have a DSL phone filter attached. For detailed information about phone filters, please click on this link: Phone Filter Information

4. After you have verified the above items, please click on this link in order to validate that your Internet connection is properly working: Check Connection Status
If you have never had a working DSL internet connection, it’s possible your DSL service has not yet been turned on. Please call the appropriate customer support number below for further assistance:

• Customers residing in AL, FL, GA, KY, LA, MS, TN, NC and SC, please call 1-888-321-2375.

• Customers residing in all other states, please call 1-877-722-3755.

*** THIS DOES NOT HAPPEN ON MY WINDOWS 7 OR WINDOWS XP OR MY UBUNTU SYSTEM....ONLY WHEN USING MY WINDOWS 8 SYSTEM DO ERROR LIKE THIS TAKE PLACE...SO PLEASE DON'T ASK ME TO CALL AT&T BECAUSE THEIR TESTS ALL SHOW NOTHING IS WRONG WITH THE DSL AND ALL MY OTHER COMPUTERS PROVE THAT AS WELL!!!!!

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

11 years ago

another example of a DSL error on my internet screen:

The Broadband Link is Currently Not Available
Error

Can’t Contact Internet Service Provider
The system could not contact your Internet service provider to create an Internet connection.

This can occur due to emergency network maintenance or other unforeseen temporary service disruptions. The Service LED light on the front of the system will automatically turn green once the problem has been resolved, typically within a short period.

If this condition persists, you can also try restarting your system by clicking the REBOOT SYSTEM button below.

[removed unnecessary html]

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

11 years ago

go here for more windows 8 and DSL problems...

http://forums.att.com/t5/DSL-Routers-Home-Networks/Windows-8-issue-with-2wire-2701-gateway/td-p/3372437

pleasse tell me you are a believer now!!!!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

I have exactly the same issue.  My husband has a Windows 8 computer and immediately upon installation the DSL drops started to happen.  I can work on my computer (Windows 7) for hours, but as soon as he gets on the DSL light turns red and I get kicked off of the networks I am working on and have to sign in again once the DSL light goes green and solid.     We made some router adjustments that I saw on another site (I verified with AT&T Tech support that it was OK to do so).  That seemed to help a little but lately it is pretty constant.  My husband has started staying off the internet while I am working, which is a pain in the butt for him.   

I would gladly buy another router/modem if I knew it would solve this issue, but I have not seen any recommendations of one as a solution. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Have you had any solutions?   I am having exactly the same issue.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

Same issues here.  I have serveral devices connected that work just fine.  Tablets, TV's, smart Phones, and 2 Computers running Win7, but my new win8 computer constantly drops connection (hard wired).   I swapped cables, changed NIC's, hopped in the att router and chaged the local subnet to a 20.10.X.X range thinking maybe the 192 address range was confliting with another device, but nope it still drops.  Connected my win7 laptop to the same LAN drop and it works fine.  I then brought the Win8 desktop to my office and connected it to my corporate LAN and it works just fine so it is defintely an issue with Win8 and the ATT 2Wire Router.  oh and I'm a Network Admin.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

Ok so the ATT tech just let the house and we were able to figureout a work a round for this issue, and get a little closer to figureing out what the cause is.   First the tech installed a new router and the results were the same.  Then out of curiosity we decided to see what would happen if we ran the computer cat5 cable through our vonage telephone receiver and bam the computer stopped dropping the connection.  The Vonage receiver dishes out is' own DHCP addresses so it put the computer on a different subnet than the router so there must be an issue with how the ATT router and windows 8 handles DHCP.   So I would suggest that if you are having this issue you can add a routable switch on a different subnet and let it handle the DHCP address for your home network instead of the att router.  

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

Well I have a Lenovo P500 running Windows 8.1. About a week ago the internet just cut off for the laptop. Every other computer in the hous works prefectly fine. The laptop will even connect to other Wi-Fi networks, EVEN 2-WIRE networks. Any ideas?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.