Ken Ramos's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Sunday, March 23rd, 2014 7:50 PM

What is Alcatel-Luncent and is it from AT&T?

What is Alcatel-Luncent and is it from AT&T?  If so, is it really needed and if not how do I get rid of it?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

10 years ago

@Ken Ramos@  wrote:

"Did they transition from dial-up to DSL?"

I really don't know.  I was browsing the Microsoft Community looking for answers when I ran across their thread.  Several others have noticed the add-on's also.  The add-on's don't seem to be, as I know yet, causing a problem, it is just that I don't like or appreciate providers or otherwise, putting things on my computer without my permission or at least giving me an explanation before hand for so doing.

Well, after a little research, it turns out it is related to broadband service. Alcatel-Lucent owns Motive, which makes the software used for customer installed broadband, and self help software for troubleshoting connection issues.

I thought I had seen that in the past, but it was about 12 years ago when I first got DSL from AT&T (then SBC/Ameritech). It was on the disk that came along with the self install kit, which I uninstalled shortly thereafter.

So, look under Programs and Features in the Control Panel in Windows for any AT&T or Motive software, and uninstall it if you want to get rid of the extra junk.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

10 years ago

@Ken Ramos@  wrote:

What is Alcatel-Luncent and is it from AT&T?  If so, is it really needed and if not how do I get rid of it?

Where are you seeing this.

A-L is a telecom equipment manufacturer. (phones, modems, modem chips, etc).

Actually I think both AT&T and Verizon own a piece of A-L.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

Alcatel-Luncent is showing up under my Add-Ons and though they are all disabled, the list seems to be growing larger.  I did not put them there and many other people have them showing up on their computers also, and many state that the Alcatel-Luncent add-ons did not appear until after they had acquired DSL connection from AT&T or COMCAST.

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

10 years ago

@Ken Ramos@  wrote:

Alcatel-Luncent is showing up under my Add-Ons and though they are all disabled, the list seems to be growing larger.  I did not put them there and many other people have them showing up on their computers also, and many state that the Alcatel-Luncent add-ons did not appear until after they had acquired DSL connection from AT&T or COMCAST.

Did they transition from dial-up to DSL?

More than likely they are/were related to the modems installed for their broadband.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

"Did they transition from dial-up to DSL?"

I really don't know.  I was browsing the Microsoft Community looking for answers when I ran across their thread.  Several others have noticed the add-on's also.  The add-on's don't seem to be, as I know yet, causing a problem, it is just that I don't like or appreciate providers or otherwise, putting things on my computer without my permission or at least giving me an explanation before hand for so doing.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

Ah, okay!  Now I know what it is.  A great deal of thanks for the research, much appreciated.

Ken

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

10 years ago

@Ken Ramos@  wrote:

Ah, okay!  Now I know what it is.  A great deal of thanks for the research, much appreciated.

Ken

No problem stop back if you have any other questions or concerns.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.