Internet Forums

Posted Mar 23, 2014
12:50:42 PM
What is Alcatel-Luncent and is it from AT&T?

What is Alcatel-Luncent and is it from AT&T?  If so, is it really needed and if not how do I get rid of it?

What is Alcatel-Luncent and is it from AT&T?  If so, is it really needed and if not how do I get rid of it?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Mar 23, 2014 5:02:18 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

@Ken Ramos  wrote:

"Did they transition from dial-up to DSL?"

I really don't know.  I was browsing the Microsoft Community looking for answers when I ran across their thread.  Several others have noticed the add-on's also.  The add-on's don't seem to be, as I know yet, causing a problem, it is just that I don't like or appreciate providers or otherwise, putting things on my computer without my permission or at least giving me an explanation before hand for so doing.

Well, after a little research, it turns out it is related to broadband service. Alcatel-Lucent owns Motive, which makes the software used for customer installed broadband, and self help software for troubleshoting connection issues.

I thought I had seen that in the past, but it was about 12 years ago when I first got DSL from AT&T (then SBC/Ameritech). It was on the disk that came along with the self install kit, which I uninstalled shortly thereafter.

So, look under Programs and Features in the Control Panel in Windows for any AT&T or Motive software, and uninstall it if you want to get rid of the extra junk.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Accepted Solution

What is Alcatel-Luncent and is it from AT&T?

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 23, 2014 1:03:32 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

@Ken Ramos  wrote:

Where are you seeing this.

A-L is a telecom equipment manufacturer. (phones, modems, modem chips, etc).

Actually I think both AT&T and Verizon own a piece of A-L.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

@Ken Ramos  wrote:

Where are you seeing this.

A-L is a telecom equipment manufacturer. (phones, modems, modem chips, etc).

Actually I think both AT&T and Verizon own a piece of A-L.

neon_sign.jpg

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: What is Alcatel-Luncent and is it from AT&T?

2 of 8 (592 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 23, 2014 1:21:00 PM
(0)
Tutor

Alcatel-Luncent is showing up under my Add-Ons and though they are all disabled, the list seems to be growing larger.  I did not put them there and many other people have them showing up on their computers also, and many state that the Alcatel-Luncent add-ons did not appear until after they had acquired DSL connection from AT&T or COMCAST.

Alcatel-Luncent is showing up under my Add-Ons and though they are all disabled, the list seems to be growing larger.  I did not put them there and many other people have them showing up on their computers also, and many state that the Alcatel-Luncent add-ons did not appear until after they had acquired DSL connection from AT&T or COMCAST.

3 of 8 (586 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 23, 2014 3:06:16 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

@Ken Ramos  wrote:

Did they transition from dial-up to DSL?

More than likely they are/were related to the modems installed for their broadband.

neon_sign.jpg

@Ken Ramos  wrote:

Did they transition from dial-up to DSL?

More than likely they are/were related to the modems installed for their broadband.

neon_sign.jpg

4 of 8 (569 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 23, 2014 3:16:18 PM
(0)
Tutor

I really don't know.  I was browsing the Microsoft Community looking for answers when I ran across their thread.  Several others have noticed the add-on's also.  The add-on's don't seem to be, as I know yet, causing a problem, it is just that I don't like or appreciate providers or otherwise, putting things on my computer without my permission or at least giving me an explanation before hand for so doing.

5 of 8 (565 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Mar 23, 2014 5:02:18 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

@Ken Ramos  wrote:

Well, after a little research, it turns out it is related to broadband service. Alcatel-Lucent owns Motive, which makes the software used for customer installed broadband, and self help software for troubleshoting connection issues.

I thought I had seen that in the past, but it was about 12 years ago when I first got DSL from AT&T (then SBC/Ameritech). It was on the disk that came along with the self install kit, which I uninstalled shortly thereafter.

So, look under Programs and Features in the Control Panel in Windows for any AT&T or Motive software, and uninstall it if you want to get rid of the extra junk.

neon_sign.jpg

@Ken Ramos  wrote:

neon_sign.jpg

6 of 8 (557 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 23, 2014 5:28:20 PM
(0)
Tutor

Ah, okay!  Now I know what it is.  A great deal of thanks for the research, much appreciated.

Ken

Ah, okay!  Now I know what it is.  A great deal of thanks for the research, much appreciated.

Ken

7 of 8 (551 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2014 1:01:31 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

@Ken Ramos  wrote:

Ken

No problem stop back if you have any other questions or concerns.

neon_sign.jpg

@Ken Ramos  wrote:

Ken

No problem stop back if you have any other questions or concerns.

neon_sign.jpg

8 of 8 (511 Views)