hthnl23's profile

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

Thursday, December 13th, 2012 9:26 PM

****URGENT*** Local Area Connection Unplugged

I have been waiting for years to get DSL. Finally got it and now I cannot even use it. I just received the Netgear 7550 Gateway and I have a steady green light on Power,Wireless, Broadband and Service. There is no light on 1-4 of Ethernet. I used Ethernet cable AT&T sent no luck tried a brand new other one still nothing. Computer is Recognizing Ethernet Port which is Realtek rtl8139 family pci fast ethernet NIC also update the drivers what else should I be doing? or what am I doing wrong? The thing still says Local Network Cable unplugged. Also I am running XP Home. Need Help Asap!! Thanks in advance for any help with this issue:)

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

11 years ago

@hthnl23 wrote:

Just received a replacement Gateway and tried all ports and also done a factory reset but still nothing so I ordered a USB to Ethernet Adapter just in case the Ethernet Adapter on my PC is bad. It will be here today. Will let you know if this fixes the issue. I sure hope so!!!

Yup, sure looks like it's the computer that might be at fault. Be sure to go into the "Network Connections" folder and disable all the other connections before you install the new adapter so there are no conflicts with the old ones.

Hope the adapter gets you going. Stop back and let us know.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

11 years ago

If you just received your modem today, I'm afraid the answer is "be patient". 🙂

You can only connect to the Internet after 8:00 p.m. on the date specified on your confirmation letter or packing slip.

Do you currently have AT&T home phone service as well?

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

11 years ago

My service was activated on 12/7 at 8:00 p.m. Yes I already have home phone service as well. Just not getting Ethernet light to light up.

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

11 years ago

Okay. 

Take a look at this article and make sure you've followed the instructions under "DSL service at a location where there IS AT&T home phone service": http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB400719#fbid=jLGlVFsUCPY

If you're still having an issue after you've run through those steps, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare with your name, account number, email address, phone number and the best time to contact you. A member of our team will give you a call and work with you to figure out why you're not able to connect.  

To send a private message, you can either click on the link in this message or click on the little blue envelope in the upper right hand corner, click "compose new message" and type ATTCustomerCare in the "Send To" field.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

11 years ago

Tried that still does not work. Do not have blinking lights on any of 1-4 Ethernet on the Gateway. Sent a message to ATTCustomerCare.

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

11 years ago

Okay, thanks. They'll be in touch!

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

11 years ago

@hthnl23 wrote:

I have been waiting for years to get DSL. Finally got it and now I cannot even use it. I just received the Netgear 7550 Gateway and I have a steady green light on Power,Wireless, Broadband and Service. There is no light on 1-4 of Ethernet. I used Ethernet cable AT&T sent no luck tried a brand new other one still nothing. Computer is Recognizing Ethernet Port which is Realtek rtl8139 family pci fast ethernet NIC also update the drivers what else should I be doing? or what am I doing wrong? The thing still says Local Network Cable unplugged. Also I am running XP Home. Need Help Asap!! Thanks in advance for any help with this issue:)

Well, if you've tried a different cable and different ports on the modem/gatyeway, then the problem is either in the physical connector on your computer or the switch ports on your modem/gateway. To verify which it is, you can try various things.

First step is to try a "factory reset" on your modem/gateway. To do so you will need a toothpick or unfolded paperclip. Find the reset button, usually it a very small button recessed in a very small hole on the back/bottom of the modem/gateway. With the power on to the modem/gateway, press and hold the reset button for ~20 seconds and then release. After all the lights settle down and/or turn green, try connecting your computer again.

If the reset does not help, you will need to either have a freind bring their laptop over and try connecting it to the modem/gateway or aquire a network switch or hub and try connecting your computer to it. If your freind's computer connects to the modem/gateway without problem then the issue is with your computers network port. If your computer gets a live connection to the switch/hub, then the issue is with the switch ports on the modem/gateway.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

11 years ago

Just received a replacement Gateway and tried all ports and also done a factory reset but still nothing so I ordered a USB to Ethernet Adapter just in case the Ethernet Adapter on my PC is bad. It will be here today. Will let you know if this fixes the issue. I sure hope so!!!

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

11 years ago

Got the adapter installed and Thank God got DSL service going now. Thanks everyone for your help:)

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

11 years ago

@hthnl23 wrote:

Got the adapter installed and Thank God got DSL service going now. Thanks everyone for your help:)

Great, glad to here everything is up and running, sorry you experienced so much trouble.Smiley Very Happy

Be sure to stop back if you have any other questions or if you'd like to contribute to the forum (we cover a lot of topics here).Smiley Happy

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.