For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
QJR8395's profile

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

Friday, April 8th, 2016 6:24 AM

PACE 5268AC FXN VS NVG589

How do the PACE 5268AC FXN and NVG589 compare to each other? Is one better than the other?

The most important features to me on any modem are wi-fi security and connectivity, i.e., wired and wireless, multiple device connections, etc.

Let me know what you think please.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

8 years ago

@QJR8395

For wired, they are the same. They are both gigabit.

For wireless, the 2.4 GHz radios are the same spec. However, the Pace model includes a 5 GHz radio while the NVG589 does not. The wireless security on both models would be the same.

I believe the Pace is slower to boot up and a little less responsive. The 5268AC is also a tad larger in size than the NVG589.

Do you have any devices that can take advantage of 5 GHz wireless? If not, it might not be worth the trouble to hunt it down.

Edit:

Didn't see your mac filtering comment. I cannot confirm that it's not a feature. If it's true, it may be because of the testing of using wireless receivers over that network which would cause problems. Plus, someone who manages to hack your wireless password would also likely have the expertise to get around your mac filtering. The chance of it actually happening is extremely slim.

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

8 years ago

Per the MAC Filtering page the 5268AC FXN DOES NOT HAVE MAC FILTERING ON THE 5 GHz radio.

WHY NOT?

I realize MAC Filtering is NOT a major security protection. However, it is an additional step that any hacker or hacker wannabe must take to gain access to my network. Anyone who understands security knows that most people including hackers and criminals tend to attack weaker, easier targets. Therefore, I prefer being able to make it as difficult as possible for hackers. Eliminating steps, however, makes it less difficult.

I CAN'T SEE ANY BENEFIT TO THE TECH ARBITRARILY "UPGRADING" MY RG.

NO ADVANCED FEATURE MAKES UP FOR FEWER  SECURITY TOOLS AND A LESS SECURE NETWORK!!!

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

8 years ago

Thanks for the info.

I do have devices that can definitely leverage the 5 GHz; a plus.  I actually tried to just "undo" the swap and get another NVG589 sent from AT&T. I chatted with AT&T Tech Support and actually had another NVG589 ordered and enroute. Then looking for at my account online for something else I stumbled upon my order and WAS SHOCKED TO FIND AN ADDITIONAL $7 LEASE FEE ADDED TO MY ACCOUNT!!! I KNEW I HAD PURCHASED MY ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT BACK IN 2011!

Long story short: AT&T changed to equipment leasing process. Tech Support Rep FAILED TO DISCLOSE PRIOR TO PLACING ORDER. In-home service tech FAILED TO DISCLOSE PRIOR TO SWAPPING RG. ORDER for NVG589 CANCELED. STUCK WITH 5268AC AT NO CHARGE BECAUSE TECH TOOK THE RG I'D ALREADY PURCHASED AND NO WAY TO GET THAT SPECIFIC ONE RETURNED TO ME.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. We'll see how things go.

Your info was helpful. You're right about the MAC Filtering. I think I've used it so long I've put too much faith in a security feature that really isn't all that secure.

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

8 years ago

@QJR8395

Since around earlier last year, AT&T began no longer allowing purchased units on accounts. All new customers after that time and those who do equipment swaps are subject to the equipment rental fee.

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

8 years ago

@my thoughts wrote:

You may have purchased original equipment back in 2011 but it was not the 589.

Customer owned equipment that has been available for purchase in the past included the ADSL2+ Motorola 510, the VDSL 2WIRE 3600, and early Pace 5031. These units were available for $100 and had a twelve month warranty. Any issue after warranty, you either purchased another gateway ($100) or went to the equipment fee gateways designed for IPTV service. 

The original bonded pair gateway was the 3812 inid (2010-2013). The 589 was the replacement model for the inid and also used for the shorter bonded loops for Power 45 internet as well as single pair installs but this gateway (589) along with the 3800, 3801 and newer 599, 5268 have been company owned with the standard monthly equipment fee. If you had a 589 without a fee, consider that a slip of billing that should have been charged all along, not a new charge that has been added. 

But yes effective January 12, 2015 all new installs (includes move orders) and the replacement of any gateways are now company owned and maintained. The $7 fee is like a monthly maintance plan instead of being charged a $99 service call as should be on customer owned equipment/wiring.

Actually I didn't say that the NVG589 WAS THE ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT I PURCHASED. 

AT&T CANNOT LEGALLY REMOVE EQUIPMENT FROM A CUSTOMER'S HOME AND REPLACE IT WITH A LEASED MODEL WITHOUT CUSTOMER'S CONSENT AND AGREEMENT UPFRONT. AT&T CAN REPLACE CUSTOMERS PURCHASED EQUIPMENT WITH LEASED EQUIPMENT BUT THEY MUST LEAVE THE EQUIPMENT CUSTOMER PURCHASED WITH THE CUSTOMER. THE CUSTOMER HAS EVERY RIGHT TO KEEP THE EQUIPMENT FOR WHICH THEY PAID!!!!

I am not really sure why you even felt the need to respond to my post because your post added nothing new to the conversation other than YOUR INSULTING STATEMENT: "If you had a 589 without a fee, consider that a slip of billing that should have been charged all along, not a new charge that has been added."

MR./MRS. KNOW-IT-ALL, YOU ARE NOT PRIVY TO THE CONFIDENTIAL DETAILS OF MY ACCOUNT AND TRANSACTIONS WITH AT&T BUT I AM! THERE HAS NOT BEEN A "SLIP OF  BILLING" MY ACCOUNT!!! HOW DARE YOU!!! YOU HAVE ALOT OF NERVE TO SAY OTHERWISE WHEN YOU HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA WHAT HAS TRANSPIRED BETWEEN US AND AT&T OVER THE YEARS!!! THE SPECIFICS OF OUR ACCOUNT BILLING ARE NOT ANY OF YOUR BUSINESS!!

IN A COMPANY THE SIZE OF AT&T THERE WILL ALWAYS BE EXCEPTIONS TO EVERY RULE; UNIQUE CIRCUMSTANCES; CONCESSIONS TO MAKE-UP FOR MISTAKES; ETC.

AT&T NEEDS TO TRAIN ITS EMPLOYEES BETTER. 85% OF THE TECHS THAT HAVE COME OUT TO OUR HOME HAVE NOT BEEN VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE OR EXPERIENCED.THE MOST RECENT TECH ADMITTED THAT HE'D BEEN ON THE JOB ONLY 9 MONTHS AND HAD NO PRIOR EXPERIENCE; HIS ONLY PRIOR JOB WAS AT WAL-MART. HE COULDN'T ANSWER ANYTHING BEYOND BASIC TECHNICAL QUESTIONS. THE MORE COMPLEX MY QUESTION THE MORE PERPLEXED HE LOOKED! AT&T EMPLOYEES ROUTINELY PROVIDE INACCURATE, BAD INFORMATION, MISLEAD OR OUTRIGHT LIE TO ME. IN THE PAST 10 DAYS ALONE IT HAS HAPPENED 4 TIMES! OMG!!! REALLY AT&T?!!! THAT'S THE BEST Y'ALL CAN DO?!!! C'MON MAN!!!!

I DON'T HAVE AN ISSUE WITH AT&T LEASING IT'S EQUIPMENT; THE PROCESS JUST SHOULDN'T INCLUDE STEALING MY PURCHASED EQUIPMENT.

I HAVE EVERY RIGHT TO KEEP EQUIPMENT I PURCHASED!

IN THE FUTURE DO NOT RESPOND TO MY POSTS BECAUSE I DO NOT WISH TO COMMUNICATE WITH YOU ANY FURTHER. ANYTHING ELSE I POST IS SURELY NOT DIRECTED AT OR ASKING ANYTHING OF YOU!!!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.